This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Where to get the first stamp (sello) in Irun

mlippeck

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan: 09.08.2024 from Irun
I will arrive in Irun Friday, 09.08.2024 - stay a night and the start my Camino del Norte on the 10.08.2024 early in the morning.
Plan to walk through Hondarribia and then to Passia.
What is the best place (and time) to get my first stamp in Irun or Hondarribia? Any Hint or recommendation?

Thanks for any advice.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
I got mine in the cafe at the bus/railway station in Irun.

Your accommodation will probably have one.

The Albergue should stamp it also. They will definitely stamp it if you are staying there!

Scroll down to post #7 above...

is used by many here also. I imagine most accommodation referenced in Irun will have a stamp.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The city of Hendaye, France is SO close to Irún.

The evening before I intended to start my Camino, while in Irún, I thought, why not have dinner in France? Who doesn’t love French food? At about four in the afternoon, I walked from Irún, across the Bidasoa River on the bridge of Santiago, which is the border between Spain and France, and went looking for a restaurant. I was way too early. I ended up going to Mass at the Eglise Saint-Vincent-Diacre and got my first sello there at the church.

It was fascinating to me that the bridge, some 440 miles from Santiago, was still named in both Spanish and French, for Santiago — there was my first connection to the antiquity of this route.

This was completely unplanned, and a last-minute decision, but ever since I have been able to say that I started my Camino in France. You don’t have to go to the church, I’ll bet. I’d try any open restaurant or bar.

We are folloingin a month!..be watching your posts for any advice as well...to start the same as you as well.
Have a great camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The office of the Catedral in Irun is open between 9 am and 3 pm and will give you a nice sello on your credencial. As you face the main door of the Catedral the office is around the corner to the left. Have water and some food with you when leaving Irun. It's a good climb. Have some euro coins. There is an outside cold drink vending machine at the bar (often closed) just past the Iglesia Santuario de Guadalupe at 4.8 km. Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
The railway station on Hendaye will issue a sello, mine was from the stationmaster

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took the TGV from Paris To Hendaye, arrived near lunch time, found a nice little restaurant across from the Gare, and with a bellyful of excellent French food proceeded to cross the bridge into Irún and find de albergue for the night.

Most read last week in this forum