• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where next?

falconbrother

Time of past OR future Camino
June - July 2024
As I have been recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease I feel like I want to walk another Camino. We did the Frances and very much loved it. My wife said find a path with infrastructure so we can use a bag forwarding service and we'll go. So, my very important question for you is; other than the Frances, which other way would allow us to walk and forward a bag every day?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the Ingles would work in addition to the Portuguese. The Sanabres from Ourense also has bag transfer. These are all in high season though and not in winter. The Primitivo and Norte have bag transfer but may be a little rugged.

Or do the Camino Frances again. Many of us walk it or segments of it multiple times.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hi!
I agree with Henrythedog!
When considering the walk and your Parkinsons i think the coastal would be a good choice; i have a different issue that limits my abilities but i found the Coastal was a great walk.
Walk out of Porto along the river to the sea very pleasant.
Good infrastructure and bag transfer; food along the coast was better if i remember than inland more seafood which i liked.

I took the Portuguese Coastal from Porto as my first because it has a lot of level terrain; boardwalks that are gentle on your legs, promenades, trail and road sections.
It does have some hills when you turn inland but nothing hard.
The Portuguese gets a lot of comments about cobblestones but i think that relates to the central route as i cant remember any kind of issue with them on the coastal at all!
Buen Camino
Woody

When I did the Portuguese route (littoral hugging the coast at all times) a few years back there looked to be a few people doing that - getting bags collected from their accommodation in the morning and dropped off at their destination. Just to flag on the littoral route albergues were more sparse.

When I did the primitivo route in 2010 it was more free form with local taxis delighted to offer such a service.

The most obvious would be the Portuguese routes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
+1 for the Portuguese!

We walked the Portuguese Coastal > Central > Spiritual in June and July of this year. We walked quite slowly and transferred our bags with Top Santiago on days we were worried about terrain or were babying our achey knees. It was very easy to organize with them via WhatsApp.

We broke up the stages into shorter stretches rather than the official stages, spreading out the walk into 17 days. This helped us avoid injuries and let us enjoy the towns we stayed at.

When I did the Portuguese route (littoral hugging the coast at all times) a few years back there looked to be a few people doing that - getting bags collected from their accommodation in the morning and dropped off at their destination. Just to flag on the littoral route albergues were more sparse.

When I did the primitivo route in 2010 it was more free form with local taxis delighted to offer such a service.
FYI I did the coastal last November and there were many open albergues all the way to Santiago. I have learned that as the camino gets more popular more and more accommodations are added to support the pilgrims. For example I walked the CF in 2012 and when I walked again in 2015 there were lots more albergues. I had started in Le Puy in France and Gites were much scarcer then they are today also. Walk again and it will look like a different camino then the one you remembered in 2019.

Most read last week in this forum

I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
I have walked many Caminos and I have mixed feelings about this topic. I usually try to book private lodgings in recent years when I walk on less traveled Caminos as I prefer to feel confident I...
Hi. We start our Camino early Monday morning. We arrive in SJPDP on Sunday afternoon and just wondering whether shops/supermarkets will be open so that we can stock up on a few supplies for...
I’m just two weeks away from my next Camino, and of course, I’m in full-on research mode—scrolling through every forum I can find (yes, that includes Reddit). One thing I’ve noticed? The number of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.