• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where have you felt a deep sense of community on the Camino?

jo–

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Fisterra, Portugués, San Salvador
Hi everyone,
I’m heading back to the Camino soon, this time with a focus on exploring the theme of community. I would be grateful if you could share locations and your experiences related to community and a sense of belonging. Specifically, I’m interested in:

1. Places where you felt the hosts made an effort to build a strong sense of community (names of bars, albergues, etc. would be really helpful).
2. Experiences along the Camino where you felt a deep sense of community—especially how those feelings came about.
3. Any other moments or ways that the sense of community stood out to you on the Camino.

My goal is to visit these places and connect with the people involved to learn more about fostering community, and to share some of these stories with others.

Thank you in advance for your time and insights!
Jo

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Best community-feeling I experienced:

On CF:
- Roncesvalles
- Grañon (Parochial)
- Hornillos (Meeting Point)
- Carrion de los Condes (Espiritu Santo)
- Hospital del Orbigo (San Miguel)
- Cruz de Ferro
- Molinaseca (Compostela)
- O Cebreiro (Municipal)
- Ponte Campaña (Casa Domingo)

On CP:
- Vila do Conde (Santa Clara)
- Esposende (Sleep and Go)
- A Cancela (Albergue Portela)
- O Milladoiro (Albergue Milladoiro)

All other instances are really subjective. But I was amazed on the 5-8 Pilgrims who looked after a fellow Pilgrim who felt unwell mid the Pyrenees and the comradery among the Pilgrims I met on my ways.

BC

Best community-feeling I experienced:

On CF:
- Roncesvalles
- Grañon (Parochial)
- Hornillos (Meeting Point)
- Carrion de los Condes (Espiritu Santo)
- Hospital del Orbigo (San Miguel)
- Cruz de Ferro
- Molinaseca (Compostela)
- O Cebreiro (Municipal)
- Ponte Campaña (Casa Domingo)

On CP:
- Vila do Conde (Santa Clara)
- Esposende (Sleep and Go)
- A Cancela (Albergue Portela)
- O Milladoiro (Albergue Milladoiro)

All other instances are really subjective. But I was amazed on the 5-8 Pilgrims who looked after a fellow Pilgrim who felt unwell mid the Pyrenees and the comradery among the Pilgrims I met on my ways.

BC
Thank you so much for this list, Roland!

If you have the time, I’d love to hear more about what specifically led to those feelings of community. Roncesvalles and Grañon seem so different to me! Was it the warm welcome from the hospitaleros, the shared meals, cooking together, or something else?

I’ll go ahead and edit my original question to include this additional ask.

Thanks again for your incredibly helpful response!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Primitivo, Bodenaya:
Alison and Alberto hosted two wonderful communal meals (dinner and breakfast). During which they went out of their way to make all feel welcome, had us all briefly introduce ourselves, and got us all talking to one another. They actively promoted the next Donativo on the way (new, Casa Pascal), and booked some in. 5 of the 10 walked more or less together the next day, 6 met that evening..(And for many more thereafter).

Sylvia also hosted a communal dinner.

So, small Albergue, communal meals and friendly, helpful hosts. Who, incidentally, are pilgrims themselves.

Second camino, solo from Tomar to Muxia.

Whilst there were more pilgrims after Porto, the connections prior seemed more personal. I walked solo, not many pilgrims on the pre-Porto stretch. But at the end of the day, conversation felt more easy, and one felt more compelled to acknowledge others presence.
A special acknowledgment to the aussie couple on sabatical, the south koreans, the french coupl & Leah from Ireland.

Once it got more crowded, especially after Tui, with more groups, I did feel a change.
It didn't make the path less enjoyable though, I enjoyed the scenery and the time spent walking, also met some nice people.

But perhaps as I'm a bit of introvert, its a bit harder to introduce my way into a large group/crowds , compared to a more intimate social environment.

Examples.
* The private albergue in Alvorge, with the host providing takeaway dinners from restaurant, with us pilgrims sharing a table.
* The private albergue at Agueda where 5 of us shared a pasta dish
* The donativo in Branca, with a home cooked dinner, and a very attentive host.
" Walking with the aussue couple on 2 stages, having a fabulous lunch at Albergaria a nova.
* Getting temporary lost with the south koreans, and a friendly local drawing a map of directions for us.
* All the friendly locals, like when I was saying hello to a cat, and the owner came outside and chatted to me.
* The nice man in the industrial section before Agueda, giving out bottled water and apples to pilgrims on a hot day.
* Waving hello at all the fatima pilgrims walking the opposite direction.

After Porto, whilst feeling different, was not a lonely path
*One example being talking to a Dutch pilgrim when climbing up the labruge hill. *And casa fernadas was a unique experience, maybe a bit too loud for me, but it definitely had a communial feel..
*Or finding myself running late, and bit lost, for the pilgrim mass in santiago, and seeing 2 koreans I had met the morning in the pilgrim office queue (yay made it no 5 in the queue so free lunch for me), and walking with them to the cathedral

Just a few examples...I could list more.
Lesson of the camino, community can be found in many ways

EDIT
The walk onwards to Muxia was special too, There was a communial meal in Santa marina and other pilgrims were friendly.
But another camino path, a different feel. This time a quiet reflection vibe, less need for the social times, IMO.

Last edited:
Places I really liked for the community feeling: Grañon and Bercianos on the Francés, Bodenaya on the Primitivo, Casa Alba in El Rollu on the San Salvador.
A moment on the Primitivo, on the Hospitales route, when fog got thicker and the wind picked up, a group waited for two solo female pilgrims (me and another one) to make sure that everyone stayed safe and on the path.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A deep sense of community can happen "artificially" in one sense because the albergue or setting or group you may be with foster this and you enter in "expecting" community. Perfect examples of this are some of the famous albergues in Granon or in Guemes on the Norte. For me both albergues did show warmth and kindness to the pilgrims. But I almost found the attitudes of pilgrims, especially in Guemes to actually be a little cult like and creepy. They were so excited to be there and sitting around listening to the stories of the priest and the donativo. I looked at their faces and their expressions of total bliss and absolute joy kind of freaked me out. There was absolutely nothing that anyone had experienced to that point that would lend itself to these expressions of total joy. I even felt this way with the volunteers who greeted and served me. I was thankful for their service to me but to be honest I really felt like like the way they spoke and looked at you was kind of full of s@^t. I know its my feeling and there is no arguing about the way one feels. Yes the donativo was welcoming but no it was not like knockin' on heaven's door.
People talk about camino families and how they offer a sense of community. I never join such groups because I walk for me and walk when my body says walk and stop when it tells me to. I have encountered some of the most clickish people ever who belonged to families. They stayed basically only with themselves. I have a pretty big mouth and like to connect in albergues. I usually meet some really nice people. But I have been in albergues a few times where it was me and a family or two. I tried to engage and although people were not rude they were not welcoming. I asked if they wanted to cook dinner and was told no thanks we are going out or we have already shopped or some other lame excuse. Of course this is not every family but it has happened to me and I have heard too many times from others to safely say it is not an anomaly. Honestly it did bother me the first few times for sure, now if it happens I just say f#%k it and go to the grocery store.
Community can happen anywhere. It can be a community of just yourself. Enjoying the step you are taking or the blissfulness of an empty mind, free of the daily bulls+*t we put ourselves through. It can happen on the path playing with a dog that follows for a minute or chatting with a farmer. (If you can speak English), Making a dinner with some other pilgrims in any albergue that has a kitchen. The list goes on an on.
There are no community centers that grab and keep you. I think they can happen anywhere within yourself or with just some other common folks, pilgrims or locals. I think there are some albergues that make this community feeling happen more easily and I am so thankful for those people and the work and love that they put in to make it so. The feeling of community can happen last for a moment or for an hour, day or however long you can keep it. Even if it is just a moment, that is all the universe chose to give you so be happy with that.
There are countless places, bars, park benches, rock you can sit on that foster community. There are also lots of albergues that do to. There are also lots of albergues that you can have the most fantastic community feel because of a volunteer or the people around you. Two days later there may be new volunteer that is kind of a dick and maybe some schmucky pilgrims that make that same magical albergue a place to avoid at all costs.
My advice is just walk and free your head and what happens will happen.

The donativos at Granon and Tosantos were extremely special evenings as well as albergues that provided communal meals (such as Meeting Point in Hornillos) also the peaceful little church at the paroquial at La Faba. The sense of a shared experience and goal to get to Santiago and the spiritual connection to our humanity made those evenings very special. Despite our different nationalities, languages and cultures we were experiencing a shared gratitude and humility.

These pictures (spring 2023) express some of those feelings that will forever linger in my spirit and the reasons why the camino calls to me again.

1. On the way to Castrojeriz
2. Paroquial at Granon
3. Mass at Tosantos in the paroquial chapel by a French priest on pilgrimage.
4. Paroquial Santa Maria at Carrion de Los Condes
5. Walking to Pedrouzo. Private garden recycling
6. Very special moment at the Santiago Cathedral ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_7063.jpeg
    IMG_7063.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7094.jpeg
    IMG_7094.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7173.jpeg
    IMG_7173.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8100.jpeg
    IMG_8100.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9690.jpeg
    IMG_9690.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9884.mov
    283.4 MB
Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hi everyone,
I’m heading back to the Camino soon, this time with a focus on exploring the theme of community. I would be grateful if you could share locations and your experiences related to community and a sense of belonging. Specifically, I’m interested in:

1. Places where you felt the hosts made an effort to build a strong sense of community (names of bars, albergues, etc. would be really helpful).
2. Experiences along the Camino where you felt a deep sense of community—especially how those feelings came about.
3. Any other moments or ways that the sense of community stood out to you on the Camino.

My goal is to visit these places and connect with the people involved to learn more about fostering community, and to share some of these stories with others.

Jo
1. Places -
On the French Way - the Municipal in Azofra, Albergue Bideluze in Castildelgado, Albergue de Peregrinos San Anton Abad, the Meeting Place in Hornillos del Camino, Albergue En El Camino in Boadilla del Camino, Albergue de Pereginos Parroquia de Santa Maria in Carrion de los Condes, Albergueria Laganares in San Nicolas del Real Camino, Albergue Via Trajana in Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos, Albergue El Encanto in Villares de Orbigo, Refugio Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan.
On the Portugues - Albergue de Calvinos in Calvinos, Albergaria Pinheiro in Alvaiazere (personalized stamp), Albergue O Lagareiro in Alvorge, market/bar in Trouxemil, Albergue de Peregrinos Rainha D. Teresa in Albergaria A Velha, Albergue Moinho Garcia in Pinheiro Da Bemposta, Albergue Camino Da Vieira in Angueira De Suso.
On the Ingles/Muxia/Finisterre - Casa Avelina in As Travesas (the Gold Standard of Camino Hospitality!!) municipal and the 1 restaurante in Hospital de Bruma, Albergue Casa Pepa in Santa Marina, Albergue Monte Aro in Lago, Albergue O Cabanel in A Grixa (to Muxia), Albergue Arasolis in Finisterre.

That's a long list, I know, but the communal aspect of the Camino is the most compelling for me. There is one thing in common among all the places listed above - the over-the-top hospitality of the owner/operator. They have the ability to create a place that makes good soil for the community seeds to grow.

2. Cruz de Ferro is the place for me, especially if not too crowded and you have a chance to absorb what has happened before you. We humans have a lot in common, and it seems we long to connect to others/something else. Praza Da Obradoiro is another one of those places.

3. These seem to happen organically, and not attached to any place, but more about the right person/people at the right time.

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Casa Avelina, Bar and Cafe, on the Ingles, just after the merging of the two routes, is a gem not to be bypassed.
I've heard that so often - unfortunately when I walked the Inglés it was Semana Santa and the bar was literally overflowing. No way I was going in there!
But from everything I have heard it's definitely one for your list Jo

1. Places -
On the French Way - the Municipal in Azofra, Albergue Bideluze in Castildelgado, Albergue de Peregrinos San Anton Abad, the Meeting Place in Hornillos del Camino, Albergue En El Camino in Boadilla del Camino, Albergue de Pereginos Parroquia de Santa Maria in Carrion de los Condes, Albergueria Laganares in San Nicolas del Real Camino, Albergue Via Trajana in Calzadilla de Los Hermanillos, Albergue El Encanto in Villares de Orbigo, Refugio Pequeno Potala in Ruitelan.
On the Portugues - Albergue de Calvinos in Calvinos, Albergaria Pinheiro in Alvaiazere (personalized stamp), Albergue O Lagareiro in Alvorge, market/bar in Trouxemil, Albergue de Peregrinos Rainha D. Teresa in Albergaria A Velha, Albergue Moinho Garcia in Pinheiro Da Bemposta, Albergue Camino Da Vieira in Angueira De Suso.
On the Ingles/Muxia/Finisterre - Casa Avelina in As Travesas (the Gold Standard of Camino Hospitality!!) municipal and the 1 restaurante in Hospital de Bruma, Albergue Casa Pepa in Santa Marina, Albergue Monte Aro in Lago, Albergue O Cabanel in A Grixa (to Muxia), Albergue Arasolis in Finisterre.

That's a long list, I know, but the communal aspect of the Camino is the most compelling for me. There is one thing in common among all the places listed above - the over-the-top hospitality of the owner/operator. They have the ability to create a place that makes good soil for the community seeds to grow.

2. Cruz de Ferro is the place for me, especially if not too crowded and you have a chance to absorb what has happened before you. We humans have a lot in common, and it seems we long to connect to others/something else. Praza Da Obradoiro is another one of those places.

3. These seem to happen organically, and not attached to any place, but more about the right person/people at the right time.
Definitely #3 (above). And not only on the Camino.

A few albergues stood out to me this year. One was Albergue Fuente Sidres just before Hontanas. The hospitaleros are lovely people and there is both a dog and kitten in residence. The setting is just wonderful - you can sit on the front terrace and watch pilgrims walk by. They offer a communal dinner for an extra cost, and a communal breakfast is included.

Another was Albergue Amanecer in Villarmentero de Campos between Frómista and Carrión de los Condes had a great pilgrim vibe thanks to the wonderful hospitalera, who not only cooked a delicious dinner, but played the guitar and sang to us while we ate.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In addition to others mentioned above, the team at Albergue Oasis Trails in Villamayor de Monjardin are making an intentional effort to live out their beliefs around hospitality.
And Juanma at Casa Maralotx in Cirauqui welcomes you into his home.

* Rabanal del Camino — either at the donativo there, or, if you can spare at least 2 nights: at the Monte Irago monastery there. Generally, just everyone being lovely and helpful in Rabanal.
*The municipal in St. Jean (I will never forget our pot-banging hospitalero who woke with, “Are you ready?!!! YES YOU ARE! YOU CAN DO IT!!)…
*The donativo in Santo Domingo… because it was so very peaceful
*Albergue Caxscu at Llanos on the Salvador (lovely food! Great welcome… laundry done by the host… and a lovely breakfast send-off in the morning)
*The casa rural that wasn’t even open in the Pola de Gordon (day 2) village on the Salvador (no food service that day because of a family trip, but they opened their garden to everyone who was walking that day, and there was beer, fairy cakes and bread for the many among us who had not had anywhere to acquire food for that evening or for the next’day’s walk to Llanos)
*Getting caught up in a local community festival in Lugo was amazing (it was the Roman Heritage festival day W with all the school kids assembled outside to sing about being Romans)…
*Astorga… because the parochial is beside the ancient synagogue garden and one gets a reminder and some perspective on a complicated history… and because the main square fills with locals dining beside you… and because the Gaudi museum is so very welcoming to your curiosity… and because I was so very kindly treated for an ear infection at their Centro de Salud, and treated to a history lesson by a local who told me about his neighbourhood making the mosaic entry into the San Nicolas parish…
I have others, but those stand out in my memory for now.

In addition to others mentioned above, the team at Albergue Oasis Trails in Villamayor de Monjardin are making an intentional effort to live out their beliefs around hospitality.
And Juanma at Casa Maralotx in Cirauqui welcomes you into his home.
You are right! I stayed there in May, and it was exceptional.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A deep sense of community can happen "artificially" in one sense because the albergue or setting or group you may be with foster this and you enter in "expecting" community. Perfect examples of this are some of the famous albergues in Granon or in Guemes on the Norte. For me both albergues did show warmth and kindness to the pilgrims. But I almost found the attitudes of pilgrims, especially in Guemes to actually be a little cult like and creepy. They were so excited to be there and sitting around listening to the stories of the priest and the donativo. I looked at their faces and their expressions of total bliss and absolute joy kind of freaked me out. There was absolutely nothing that anyone had experienced to that point that would lend itself to these expressions of total joy. I even felt this way with the volunteers who greeted and served me. I was thankful for their service to me but to be honest I really felt like like the way they spoke and looked at you was kind of full of s@^t. I know its my feeling and there is no arguing about the way one feels. Yes the donativo was welcoming but no it was not like knockin' on heaven's door.
People talk about camino families and how they offer a sense of community. I never join such groups because I walk for me and walk when my body says walk and stop when it tells me to. I have encountered some of the most clickish people ever who belonged to families. They stayed basically only with themselves. I have a pretty big mouth and like to connect in albergues. I usually meet some really nice people. But I have been in albergues a few times where it was me and a family or two. I tried to engage and although people were not rude they were not welcoming. I asked if they wanted to cook dinner and was told no thanks we are going out or we have already shopped or some other lame excuse. Of course this is not every family but it has happened to me and I have heard too many times from others to safely say it is not an anomaly. Honestly it did bother me the first few times for sure, now if it happens I just say f#%k it and go to the grocery store.
Community can happen anywhere. It can be a community of just yourself. Enjoying the step you are taking or the blissfulness of an empty mind, free of the daily bulls+*t we put ourselves through. It can happen on the path playing with a dog that follows for a minute or chatting with a farmer. (If you can speak English), Making a dinner with some other pilgrims in any albergue that has a kitchen. The list goes on an on.
There are no community centers that grab and keep you. I think they can happen anywhere within yourself or with just some other common folks, pilgrims or locals. I think there are some albergues that make this community feeling happen more easily and I am so thankful for those people and the work and love that they put in to make it so. The feeling of community can happen last for a moment or for an hour, day or however long you can keep it. Even if it is just a moment, that is all the universe chose to give you so be happy with that.
There are countless places, bars, park benches, rock you can sit on that foster community. There are also lots of albergues that do to. There are also lots of albergues that you can have the most fantastic community feel because of a volunteer or the people around you. Two days later there may be new volunteer that is kind of a dick and maybe some schmucky pilgrims that make that same magical albergue a place to avoid at all costs.
My advice is just walk and free your head and what happens will happen.
Liked your comments about Guemes - I felt the same cult-y vibe, although it was a beautiful place and I otherwise had no complaints. As for Granon - a marginal pilgrim got into the unguarded wine and drank quietly and steadily, puking on pilgrims in his vicinity later that night. My traveling friend and I made up a haiku about partying pilgrims keeping us up late and then collapsed in giggles. The community ebbs and flows and is a welcome but often unexpected surprise, thanks for reminding us of the community of self.

My favourite Camino community moment came at Cirueña, just before Santo Domingo. (It turned out to be my last day of walking; I developed an unhappy knee, which got steadily more unhappy as that day went on.)

I was walking with my French Camino friend Isabelle. It was approaching lunchtime and the rain was starting to get heavier, so we took shelter inside a barn beside the path. We were shortly joined by an American and a French couple and the six of us proceeded to make ourselves at home on the hay bales and share whatever we had with us for lunch. I don't remember now what we all had - it was 23 years ago! - but I do remember thinking we'd created our own loaves and fishes moment. Nobody had much food, but put together it became a quite adequate and very friendly shared lunch.

I was walking with my French Camino friend Isabelle. It was approaching lunchtime and the rain was starting to get heavier, so we took shelter inside a barn beside the path. We were shortly joined by an American and a French couple and the six of us proceeded to make ourselves at home on the hay bales and share whatever we had with us for lunch. I don't remember now what we all had - it was 23 years ago! - but I do remember thinking we'd created our own loaves and fishes moment. Nobody had much food, but put together it became a quite adequate and very friendly shared lunch.
It's those random, unplanned moments that make the Camino such a special place.

You can stay at all of the recommended places, but it's that little bit of serendipity that really stands out.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are several I can think of that were exceptional. All "off-stage". Which is where most of the magic happens. None of which are mentioned here. To mention them would be to spoil them. Go forth and find the special places on your own. That is what makes them special!

A few albergues stood out to me this year. One was Albergue Fuente Sidres just before Hontanas. The hospitaleros are lovely people and there is both a dog and kitten in residence. The setting is just wonderful - you can sit on the front terrace and watch pilgrims walk by. They offer a communal dinner for an extra cost, and a communal breakfast is included.

Another was Albergue Amanecer in Villarmentero de Campos between Frómista and Carrión de los Condes had a great pilgrim vibe thanks to the wonderful hospitalera, who not only cooked a delicious dinner, but played the guitar and sang to us while we ate.
Are you talking about these 2 little cuties? I did not stay at Albergue Fuente Sidres but stopped for breakfast and also thought the hospitaleros were delightful. The dog and the kitten got pilgrims chatting and connecting too!
Thank you for the recommendations and the reasons why you felt a sense of community.
Jo

Attachments

• IMG_9402.png
    IMG_9402.png
    16.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9420.png
    IMG_9420.png
    11.5 MB · Views: 14
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
There are several I can think of that were exceptional. All "off-stage". Which is where most of the magic happens. None of which are mentioned here. To mention them would be to spoil them. Go forth and find the special places on your own. That is what makes them special!
Hi Walkerooni,

I completely understand your perspective on how sharing a unique, lived experience might feel like it could diminish its magic. Every experience on the Camino is shaped by so many factors—the hospitaleros, the fellow pilgrims, the specific moment in time. I’ve had similar instances where a friend, walking just a stage ahead of me, would excitedly recommend a stop after having a special experience. And yet, when I arrived, my own experience was entirely different—likely influenced by my expectations.

The intention behind my original question was to explore the essence of community and belonging, both on and off the Camino. From the wonderful responses I’ve received so far, it feels like a sense of community on the Camino often arises from:

1. Mealtimes—sharing the experience of cooking, eating, and even cleaning up together.
  2. Challenges—overcoming difficulties that bond people.
  3. Hospitaleros—who embody and share the true spirit of the Camino and have oftentimes walked the Camino themselves
  4. Inclusivity—welcoming all those seeking connection (and yes, even pets remind us how to welcome everyone equally).
  5. Mindset—how we approach each moment can greatly influence our experience.
A quick example from my recent stay at the Tosantos donativo in June: The hospitalera welcomed us with fruit juice and a warm smile, taking her time with each pilgrim. As more people arrived, she paused the registration process to greet each one, creating a slow, relaxed atmosphere that encouraged us to gather and chat while we waited. When it was time for dinner we all ended up at the same restaurant and instead of sitting with just the 2 other pilgrims I had walked into town with, we invited another group of pilgrims to join us for dinner, they invited others to join and 5 minutes later there were 15 of us eating dinner together. Early in the meal, someone in the group suggested we stand up, introduce ourselves and share something we felt proud of. The result was a beautiful evening where people openly shared and built new friendships. It just took a welcoming hospitalera, an invitation to eat together and another to share our stories.

Another example comes from my first Camino in Logroño. It was a solitary journey due to COVID, which was what I needed at the time. The albergue I stayed in felt purely transactional—no warm welcome, no sense of community. The girl in the bed next to mine invited me out for tapas, and we noticed another pilgrim seemed interested, so we invited him too. He brought a friend, and so did he, and soon, six of us were enjoying a lovely evening together. Though I never saw them again, it was a memorable moment of connection.

A couple of other moments were doing the dishes together after a communal meal. Our goal was to give the owner a break from the daily chore. I noticed that those who helped after dinner stayed more closely connected the following days. Music also brings back memories of community... moments where music was played often brought people from different parts of the world together.

If anyone has similar stories to share, whether you want to share here in the forum or message me privately, I would love to hear them.

Thank you again to everyone who has shared! Much appreciated!
Jo

As others have said, sometimes community seems to happen organically. But it is hard to interview people in these cases. We had good community in Casa Barbadelo, but I think that was just the collection of pilgrims in our little dorm was a good one.

Often, in my experience, a sense of community can emerge from shared meals, especially when they are shaped by the personality of the host (Casa Susi on the Frances and Casa da Fernanda on the Portugues spring to mind) or the pilgrims help in preparing the communal meal (as is the case in the often cited parochial albergue in Grañon).

I think my favourite albergue for just creating the conditions for community was Bendueños on the San Salvador.

As others have said, sometimes community seems to happen organically. But it is hard to interview people in these cases. We had good community in Casa Barbadelo, but I think that was just the collection of pilgrims in our little dorm was a good one.

Often, in my experience, a sense of community can emerge from shared meals, especially when they are shaped by the personality of the host (Casa Susi on the Frances and Casa da Fernanda on the Portugues spring to mind) or the pilgrims help in preparing the communal meal (as is the case in the often cited parochial albergue in Grañon).

I think my favourite albergue for just creating the conditions for community was Bendueños on the San Salvador.
I have yet to visit Casa Susi and Casa da Fernanda but hope to as I have heard so much about them.

I couldn't agree more about Bendueños though! Sandra exudes Camino spirit and community, even when there were just 2 of us staying at the albergue. It remains one of my top Camino experiences!

David,
Your profile picture rang a bell and I just realised why... I walked the San Salvador right after you did in 2023 and kept seeing your stamps (left in the mailbox notebooks) along the way! I even took a photo as I was intrigued!IMG_1863.png

Liked your comments about Guemes - I felt the same cult-y vibe, although it was a beautiful place and I otherwise had no complaints. As for Granon - a marginal pilgrim got into the unguarded wine and drank quietly and steadily, puking on pilgrims in his vicinity later that night. My traveling friend and I made up a haiku about partying pilgrims keeping us up late and then collapsed in giggles. The community ebbs and flows and is a welcome but often unexpected surprise, thanks for reminding us of the community of self.
If throwing up on your fellow pilgrims sleeping next to you isn't community, I don't know what is!!!!!!?????? 😊 😊

It's not where you were looking, but I think this forum is a place where there is a strong sense of community.
Whether it's members who go to great trouble to research information that will help someone, or veteran members patiently and kindly answering the most regular of queries from new members, I think the level of care for each other to be found here is special.
In 5 years of mostly lurking I have found much good humour and deep expertise freely shared. And when members post about their anxieties, or loneliness or health problems the response is overwhelmingly kind and supportive.
Thank you moderators, members and Ivar.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
On the Via de la Plata, albergue Santa Maria, in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra.
I don’t know if the priest is there any more but he made it a truly magical place 🙂

If you have the time, I’d love to hear more about what specifically led to those feelings of community. Roncesvalles and Grañon seem so different to me! Was it the warm welcome from the hospitaleros, the shared meals, cooking together, or something else?
Oh, that's hard to say.
It's a mixture of Hospitalero/as, Albergue, fellow pilgrims, vibe, town, music (had live music by Ukulele, Guitar, Violin and Tin Whistle on the CF), meals and drinks, the conversations, pets, weather and last but not least your own feelings and habits.
I am an introvert but after a few days on the CF the reservations and worries were gone and the socializing got easier.
The Hospitaleros in Roncesvalles booked different parties for the dinner in the hotel and had the right knowledge to arrange well balanced groups for the good of everyone.

If all go well I am on the first half of the CF next year again and will stop on different towns or Albergues (i.e. Zubiri instead of Larrasoaña, Estrella Guia instead of Jakue, Villamayor instead of Los Arcos, Santo Domingo instead of Grañon, etc.). New experiences included.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
For me, a deep sense of community is not always related to a place or specific person.
There are too many variables.

Who was with me at the time, how I was feeling, the particular hosts that day.

You could go to the same place and feel............nothing.

And some of my most cherished memories of the Camino had nothing at all to do with Community.

For example.
  1. Spending time alone with a herd of cows and calves on the VdlP last year. It felt such a privilege.
  2. Spending the night totally alone in an Albergue on the top of a Mountain on the Invierno.
  3. Standing on a mountain top singing my heart out, totally alone, from sheer joy......
The Camino, if you let it, is a deep and moving experience.

But if I think about 'Community' on the Camino, I think of............

1. Casa de Acogida de los Esclavos de María y de los Pobres on the VdlP. A donativo Albergue where the Hospi that week was an Angel. Spoke 5 languages, made everyone so welcome and even read poetry at Dinner!
  2. Albergue parroquial Santa María in Fuenterroble de Salvatierra on the VdlP. Run by Father Don Blas. The place, the welcome, the people. Exactly what the Camino is about. Community and caring.
  3. Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal del Camino on the Frances. A true Camino welcome from amazing Hospis enhanced by afternoon tea in the Garden and attending Vespers in the evening. Met lifelong friends.
  4. La Casa de los Dioses just before Astorga on the Frances. Hosted by David Vidal. A man that just exudes love....... for those who have been there, you'll know what I mean. Not so sure he would want to be in a movie though! True angels don't seek publicity......
My take?

I'm not sure you can plan these things.
Be ready for what you encounter.
Be sensitive and respectful to those around you..........

I shoot lots of video on Camino. But it's mainly what I see and feel.
It's not really of me or those I meet.

Your post leaves me a bit uncomfortable.
I'm not sure these experiences can be planned.
And when they happen.........as they often do.........is it intrusive to record them?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Jo
As far as albergues, I'd say Casa Maraloxt in Cirauqui (Juan the host is so kind, the dinner is amazing and the town itself is so quaint and especially fun if the fiesta is happening in the town), The donativo in Granon (the dinner, the hospitaleros, the pilgrim community, the spiritual experience), Eduardo in Boadilla (Eduardo is the coolest and kindest, the communal dinner is fun and festive). Also, O'Cebreiro generally. The municipal was fine but just all the pilgrims milling about town was really nice.

Other than those standouts for me, I felt the most community with pilgrims that I walked off and on with (often running into each other randomly and withough planning) or met sitting at a cafe. My fondest memories of community are of different pilgrims along the way.

My husband and I also loved Casa Fernanda, it's where we "made" our Camino family on the Portuguese route (we walked the Coastal > Central > Spiritual Variant from June 27 to July 16 this year). Another win for us was Casa Sao Sebastiao in Rubiaes. Both Fernanda and Sonia (Casa Sao Sebastiao) were gracious hosts who set the stage for pilgrims to connect.

Spending time alone with a herd of cows and calves on the VdlP last year. It felt such a privilege
OMG. That is a life changing experience! Just watching them dance and play, and recognizing their social structure... I mean I had no clue. After that I stopped eating them for about a year... Darn it I should stop eating them again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I swear the hospitalero at Roncesvalles the last time I stayed there was disappointed when he asked me how I felt after the walk from SJPdP and I responded "awesome!" It is like he wanted me to be suffering. That place is what I call a pilgrim "factory"... it is sooo huge! But it is a rite of passage I guess. (Nowadays I walk into the next town and stay at that Hemingway hotel...)

I personally feel the most sense of community when someone pulls out a guitar and we sing together as a group.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back