• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

What’s your favorite Camino?

Dmkopseng

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2024
I completed my first Camino (solo) in July and August (Camino Frances) and loved everything about it. I’m not an overly social person but the Frances allowed me to socially interact when I wanted to, and to be alone when I preferred that. I am planning ahead for my second Camino but can’t imagine anything topping my experience on the Frances. So, my debate is whether to do the Frances again or to try a different route. My question to others that have done several caminos, including the Frances, what has been your favorite Camino?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ahh, you've come to the right place for lots of answers to your questions. If I have to answer for myself, nothing was like "the first time" when I walked for the second time. But that has nothing to do with the fact that it wasn't CF, on the contrary. But, when you ask specifically, I would recommend Primitivo. Social if you will, but a more "real" camino feel, as I experienced it, not commercialized in the same way. More nature, more non-asphalt, no marker drawing on rocks, no large groups of bus tourists (that I saw). But it is individual, others probably answer other routes as their favourite.
That being said, tomorrow I will start CF again. To experience it again and perhaps see the places more thoroughly, in a less popular season. But, now I'm prepared, like the very first time, it will probably never be.

To me, obviously, the Francés is the king of them all. This said, it depends on the time of the year, you do not want to do mountainous Caminos in the North in winter, neither the most southernly Caminos in the summer (take Mozarabe, Via de la Plata).

As a matter of nature and wild landscapes, the Salvador, Geira and Arrieiros, Baztan, Aragones... have no rivals.

Never been disappointed by any Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I completed my first Camino (solo) in July and August (Camino Frances) and loved everything about it. I’m not an overly social person but the Frances allowed me to socially interact when I wanted to, and to be alone when I preferred that. I am planning ahead for my second Camino but can’t imagine anything topping my experience on the Frances. So, my debate is whether to do the Frances again or to try a different route. My question to others that have done several caminos, including the Frances, what has been your favorite Camino?
I'm a bit of an outlier on the forum in my enthusiasm for the Frances. There are plenty of Camino Frances repeat offenders, but you would never know it by the relentless bashing of the Frances here, usually in the name of "crowding". Having completed my 5th Frances in July, I'm thinking I may do it again next year. Finally, hoping to see that mysterious and . . . well, mythically delusional Conga Line. Not starting an argument here, inasmuch as the OP has already done the Camino Frances, and I well understand looking at a different one. But how many times have we heard from a never-walked a Camino newbie to the forum who gets a negative earful here about the Frances, encouraging them to opt for one of the lesser and sometimes obscure routes that will not begin to approach the experience of the Frances. This past summer I met a 13-timer, and a 17-timer. I'll never match that, but I think I have another one or two in me. So, if you are new to the forum and asking about which Camino to walk your first time, do not fall for the siren calls to avoid the Frances and walk one of the Caminos Oscuros. The Camino Frances. It's the mothership.

I'm a bit of an outlier on the forum in my enthusiasm for the Frances. There are plenty of Camino Frances repeat offenders, but you would never know it by the relentless bashing of the Frances here, usually in the name of "crowding". Having completed my 5th Frances in July, I'm thinking I may do it again next year. Finally, hoping to see that mysterious and . . . well, mythically delusional Conga Line. Not starting an argument here, inasmuch as the OP has already done the Camino Frances, and I well understand looking at a different one. But how many times have we heard from a never-walked a Camino newbie to the forum who gets a negative earful here about the Frances, encouraging them to opt for one of the lesser and sometimes obscure routes that will not begin to approach the experience of the Frances. This past summer I met a 13-timer, and a 17-timer. I'll never match that, but I think I have another one or two in me. So, if you are new to the forum and asking about which Camino to walk your first time, do not fall for the siren calls to avoid the Frances and walk one of the Caminos Oscuros. The Camino Frances. It's the mothership.
Thanks, Bob. I, too, never felt the experience of "crowding" that so many have made reference to (until, of course, arriving at Sarria). The Frances was the most beautiful experience for me. Many, many days I walked without seeing more than 5 other people on the trail. I didn't have any problems securing albergues, etc. and I was met with nothing but kindness along The Way. Based on prior comments I read about various hostilities and judgments that others seemed to have experienced, I thought maybe I was just oblivious to others around me. The Frances has left me forever (hopefully) changed!

There are plenty of Camino Frances repeat offenders, but you would never know it by the relentless bashing of the Frances here, usually in the name of "crowding".
But how many times have we heard from a never-walked a Camino newbie to the forum who gets a negative earful here about the Frances, encouraging them to opt for one of the lesser and sometimes obscure routes that will not begin to approach the experience of the Frances.
C'mon, Bob, what an exaggerated bashing of the forum!

I expect that if you did a careful analysis of the forum responses to such a question, you would find that a majority of members recommend the Francés as a first Camino. They provide cautionary advice about the timing, so that people understand better what to expect.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

It's a tough call.
I have only walked 4 different routes, so a relative Newbie.
I walked the Frances two and a bit times before trying another route.

The Frances felt (and still does) special.
And I liked the familiarity of it all.

But I also realised that for me, it was time to try something different.
I wanted that 'first time' feeling again.
Rather than knowing that there is a great cafe in the next village on the right side.

So a new route for me was more about rekindling that sense of adventure and of the unknown.
Does the next village even have a cafe!

And it worked.
I have since walked the VdlP, the Invierno and out to Fisterra/Muxia.
It was all new, unknown and 'felt' like more of an adventure.

So for that reason, our next Caminos, will again be routes we haven't walked yet.
Next time, As Pat will be with me, We'll walk the Madrid and the last part of the Sanabres, then out to Fisterra, Muxia (though actually in reverse)

My next lone Camino, might be the Mozarabe, though as I read about other routes, there are so many that appeal to me.

But the Frances will always be my Camino 'home'. It's special. I don't want to walk it again though. The route and I have changed. But it's nice to 'visit' perhaps? Last year I managed 3 days on the Frances crossing between routes. And I loved it. The people, the energy, were all great. For a while.

But I've seen the other side of the coin now. The wide open landscapes, or the hills, all to myself mainly. For me that's hard to beat. And there are a few more routes like that I want to experience whilst I still can.

So to your question? Maybe a bit of both? Try another route and combine it with a bit of the Frances?
I often look at the Gronze map and day dream a bit, and then an idea forms.......... What if?.............

routes.webp

Last edited:
It's a tough call.
I have only walked 4 different routes, so a relative Newbie.
I walked the Frances two and a bit times before trying another route.

The Frances felt (and still does) special.
And I liked the familiarity of it all.

But I also realised that for me, it was time to try something different.
Rather than knowing that there is a great cafe in the next village on the right side.

So a new route for me was more about rekindling that sense of adventure and of the unknown.
Does the next village even have a cafe!

And it worked.
I have since walked the VdlP, the Invierno and out to Fisterra/Muxia.

So for that reason, our next Caminos, will again be routes we haven't walked yet.
Next time, As Pat will be with me, We'll walk the Madrid and the last part of the Sanabres, then out to Fisterra, Muxia (though actually in reverse)

My next lone Camino, might be the Mozarabe, though as I read about other routes, there are so many that appeal to me.

But the Frances will always be my Camino 'home'. It's special. I don't want to walk it again though. The route and I have changed. But it's nice to 'visit' perhaps? Last year I managed 3 days on the Frances crossing between routes. And I loved it. The people, the energy, were all great. For a while.

But I've seen the other side of the coin now. The wide open landscapes, or the hills, all to myself mainly. For me that's hard to beat. And there are a few more routes like that I want to experience whilst I still can.

So to your question? Maybe a bit of both? Try another route and combine it with a bit of the Frances?
I often look at the Gronze map and day dream a bit, and then an idea forms.......... What if?.............

View attachment 179726
For instance change over in Leon to the Camino Salvador that in Oviedo connects with the Camino Primitivo Both wonderfull, mountainous routes.

A suggestion. Go for a Camino that joins the Camino Frances since you have already done your first Camino (probably Frances) and have ended up in SDC. No need to repeat that.

My two favorite ones are Camino del Interior and Camino Madrid.

1. The del Interior is a short one from Irun to Santo Domingo (or Burgos). I chose Santo Domingo. Visited the Chicken Church and had chicken (Pollo Asado) for lunch. Left by bus that afternoon. Didn't stay or try to take a bed from pilgrims along the Camino Frances.

2. Camino Madrid. Madrid (take the subway to the ring road and start there) to Sahagun.

For both the Caminos it's quite an experience. Plus you get to see the human train of pilgrims walking the Camino Frances before you arrive at the destination. For the former you are coming from the north and the pilgrims are moving from the left to right and for the latter you are coming from the south and pilgrims are moving for the right to left.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But I also realized that for me, it was time to try something different.

The Portuguese was my first and it changed my outlook on life ; this forum has given me the tools!
I won't stop now ; there is so much more!

Robo's reasoning's are the same ones i have carried my whole life.
If i take the time i have to do the same adventure again; will i be missing the chance to do the greatest adventure i will ever have ? (or the worst🤣)

These are the reasons i won't walk the same Camino again; not knowing is the thing that makes me keep going each day!
Lots of people love the comfort of the familiar ; like those that buy a time share and visit the same place for 20 years!
I do know the experience is different each time with the people you meet and the friends you make.
But there is so much more of the World to enjoy.

My thoughts, hope they help...

Le Puy (Via Podiensis) ... Prettiest route that I've done. I strongly recommend it to Camino enthusiasts. Far fewer pilgrims than the Frances, but you see people regularly every day. Predominant language is French. Very little English. Best food I've had on any Camino. It's about the same distance as the Frances route. Designed to miss large urban areas and stay on rural trails, so very few ugly sections. I highly recommend the Cele Valley variant (one of a few optional routes you can take).

Portugués (Porto to SdC) ... I did a little of the Coastal route, a lot of the Central route and all of the Spirtual route. Lots of lovely walking days. Far fewer pilgrims than Frances, but enough that you will meet people. The towns weren't as memorable as some in Spain, but a few were quite nice . The Spiritual route (3 days near the end) was gorgeous and highly recommended. Takes about 2-weeks which makes it convenient, but not as impactful as the 30+ days on the Frances.

Portugués (Lisbon to Porto) ... Some pretty sections, but also some boring sections. Very few pilgrims. You can go a whole day and not see any other other walkers. Glad I did it, but I only would recommend it to someoone who likes quiet time. If you include the Porto route too, it will take about a month to complete. Coimbra and Tomar stood out as especially nice towns along this route.

A couple of other random thoughts....
  • Not finishing in Santiago can be anti-climatic. Walking into the square with other pilgrims is a nice cap to a pilgrimage. (I suppose finishing in Muxia or Finistere would also bring the similar sense of closure, but I haven't done that.)
  • I did the Frances twice, and the second time didn't have the same magic. Is was enjoyable and rewarding, but different. I saw lots of things I missed the first time, and had great experiences, but a many of the small villages that seemed interesting the first time through, were less impressive the second time through.
Edit: Accidentally listed Coimbra and Tomar in the Porto section. Corrected that.

Last edited:
Le Puy (Via Podiensis) ... Prettiest route that I've done. I strongly recommend it to Camino enthusiasts. Far fewer pilgrims than the Frances, but you see people regularly every day. Predominant language is French. Very little English. Best food I've had on any Camino. It's about the same distance as the Frances route. Designed to miss large urban areas and stay on rural trails, so very few ugly sections. I highly recommend the Cele Valley variant (one of a few optional routes you can take).
This is one of my all time favorites after walking a majority of various Caminos mostly in Spain. The Cele Valley variant added in was a stunning surprise.
Also the Via Francigena from Lucca was a winner for me and the churches are mostly open.
The majority of my Caminos have been in Spain and Portugal. I have loved most of them, too, or I would not have kept returning, but it is nice to branch out and experience the different "feel" of a new country, its food, architecture and terrain while walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I always love the one I’m on, but on the cusp of 70 realize I have to do the harder ones now - ie i just did the primitivo and will do it again before I can’t!

Next you'll ask my favourite child.

At the moment I am inclined to say the Salvador/Primitivo combination. But that may be because it was the last one I walked into Santiago on. We'll see if that changes after my next.

There is nothing wrong with walking the Frances again. There are those who don't understand walking the same route again. There are so many other routes to walk. I wonder if they also don't understand listening to a favourite song again, or eating a favourite dish again, or reading a favourite book again. There are, after all, more dings, dishes, and books untied still to enjoy than any person can experience in a lifetime. Myself, I like to sometimes revisit old favourites.

On the other hand, there are those who have a great experience on one route and don't want to try any others. I would no more want to do as them than I would want to only listen to one song, or eat one dish, or read one book for the rest of my life.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Portugués (Porto to SdC) ... I did a little of the Coastal route, a lot of the Central route and all of the Spirtual route. Lots of lovely walking days. Far fewer pilgrims than Frances, but enough that you will meet people. The towns weren't as memorable as some in Spain, but a few were quite nice (Coimbra and Tomar stood out).
Coimbra and Tomar should have been included in your paragraph about the Camino from Lisbon since they are both south of Porto.

Coimbra and Tomar should have been included in your paragraph about the Camino from Lisbon since they are both south of Porto.
Yes, they are both very special. I have not walked from Lisbon, but visited them on a road trip. On the Central route from Porto, taking a side trip from Barcelos to Braga for a day trip or overnight is a really nice city to add in if a person has the time. I just googled and t's only a 25 minute bus ride and about €6 each way.

Hi, I done the Frances, Del Norte, & Ingles, each one had its one special moments, but without a doubt my favourite is the Del Norte, I started in Henday, & each day was different, it was sometimes busy, but after the 1st 2 weeks it got quiet, but with some fantastic views, & solitude, my personal highlight was Sobrado dos Monxes.....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, thank you for asking. My favorite Camino has always been siting in my comfortable recliner and watching other people walking a Camino. Never once have I experienced sore feet or blisters, lack of my favorite foods, encountering dregs of humanity (these are few of course), and being chased by aggressive dogs. In fact, I plan on doing another one of these 'sitting' Caminos in December. Go Camino! Chuck

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, we are conducting a completely anonymous study for the faculty with the aim of finding out what the ideal experience is for pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago. The questionnaire takes 2...
I've walked most of the French Camino twice and some of an aborted Portuguese Camino earlier this year. I'm considering a walk next Spring and getting some pushback from friends and relatives. My...
So my blessing and I ( okay my) intent is between my 70th BD( 9/25) and before or NLT my 71st( 9/26) I want to do SJPDP to Muxia to Finisterre. God, Tracey ( My Blessing) and the body willing. We...
I completed my first Camino (solo) in July and August (Camino Frances) and loved everything about it. I’m not an overly social person but the Frances allowed me to socially interact when I wanted...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back