• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What Guides are people using?

AshWilliams

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles - Aug/Sept 24
Hi! I’m walking the camino ingles very soon! And i just wanted to see what guides/books people have used! Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated too!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I get my information mostly from Gronze and from online searches if something specific catches my eye. I have not carried a printed guidebook on a Camino in the last twenty years.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I get my information mostly from Gronze and from online searches if something specific catches my eye. I have not carried a printed guidebook on a Camino in the last twenty years.
Yep. Gronze is my Guide.
Seems to be the most up to date.

Hi! I’m walking the camino ingles very soon! And i just wanted to see what guides/books people have used! Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated too!!
Ash, welcome to the forum.

Purely for research I quite like the Village to Village guides. They’re small enough to carry too if you wanted.
I've never actually used Gronze etc other than for research, I predominantly research on YouTube, make notes, book my first night, and walk. I now have Mapy.cz, but when I walked my first two Caminos (Ingles and Primitivo) had nothing- they’re very well marked! You'll soon learn to keep your head on swivel and spot the arrows. Generally the only time people miss the trail is when they're chatting too much/ otherwise distracted.

I would suggest considering booking Bruma, or staging around it- it’s a very well known pinch point. Alternatively, simply be prepared to taxi elsewhere and back.
For everyone in the past two years that posted 'we never booked and had no problems', there’s a Story of someone who had to walk /taxi 10 further.

It's a wonderful Camino, excellent if you are a first timer. Whilst you can of course eat the pilgrim menus (you should try at least one) remember that you are near the coast and the fish dishes are excellent!
Nor do they necessarily cost an awful lot more.

There is a ton of information on the forum - just use the search function (magnifying glass top right) input one or two keywords, select titles only and go from there.

Health warning: the camino is addictive!

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I really liked the simple Michelin guide to the Frances. Just the basic location of hostels, cafes and elevations. Wish I could find one for the Portuguese.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Except for my first Camino Francés in 2010 I've never bought a guide. As others have said, my go-to information site is Gronze. The Inglés imho does not need a special guide, it's well marked and there are many apps such as the Wise Pilgrim one which will give you all the info you need.

Gronze is in Spanish. Can you change this to English. I cannot see anywhere to do this.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
i walked this route last year with the Brierley guide. Also used the Gronze app. It is only a short camino so you with find these adequate.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi
I walked the road from Ferrol to SdC in early July this year, travelled with: 'A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino Ingles: Ferrol & Coruña — Santiago; The English Way also known as the Celtic Camino (W/FREE Passport) - 2023 edition for €15.90' purchased from Ivar of course. Thoroughly recommend a stop in Betanzos Albergue excellent location in a delightful town; also there was a charming elderly gentleman with camper van, in the middle of a wood cannot remember where, offering (donativo) refreshments - well worth a pit stop. Buen camino, David

None!

Just google maps from time to time as reassurance. The ways are well marked.

Just google maps from time to time as reassurance
As of May 2024 I have fully activated this Camino in Google Maps via Google Content Partners so that means you can use the SatNav (directions) function and not just the blue dot. I made a Web-App but it is for my own "amusement" and I am not about to make it public on this forum - and in fact I don't think I have even FTPed it to the internet :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Ash, it really depends on what type of information you’re looking for. I haven’t walked the Ingles, but have done some planning for it. I think I generally use ALL the resources (lol). I use the books and Gronze to get historical and cultural background on the areas, I use apps, such as Wise and Buen Camino and a Maps app (Google or Apple Maps) to find accommodations. Wise, Gronze maps, and Buen Camino also provide a Map view with the route marked on it (and often provide valuable route alternatives). Gronze, BC, and the Wise ‘All Caminos’ are free so you can test them out. Wise has a distance calculator. Several have an elevation tool. The Camino Ninja app is also well loved and free. Some apps have more/less info and some don’t seem to be updated as often which is why I cross-reference several. I love referring to books before I walk but tend to leave them at home.

I really liked the simple Michelin guide to the Frances. Just the basic location of hostels, cafes and elevations. Wish I could find one for the Portuguese.
I had a 2016 Michelin Guide. It did not mention an albergue that had been there since 1999. It did list an albergue that ceased to exist around 2010 in the same village. But I liked the format.
Mainly, I use apps that get data from OpenStreetMap.org

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Brierley's guide is definitely the best book for a description of the route. It is available in a digital version from Amazon. That'll save you the weight of carrying the actual book.

I carry a few different ones on my phone.
My favourite is Gronze (the website) as it seems to be the most simple to use and up to date.
Sometimes I'll compare information between apps if I can't find what I'm looking for.

Most read last week in this forum

Tomorrow morning my wife and I begin our first Camino. We have been in Ferrol since yesterday and are itching to get started. I am a little nervous because we’ve never done anything like this...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.