• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather forecast Roncesvalles coming days

verar

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/oct 2024
Hi!

First time pilgrim here, starting the Frances this Friday from SJPdP. I'm looking at the weather forecast and there might be a lot of thunderstorms. Does this mean the route Napoleon will likely be closed?

It's making me a little nervous. I have booked my first night at Orisson because I want to start with short days. How can I best proceed if the recommendations are to avoid the route Napoleon?

I also have the time to start on Thursday if that helps but obviously have no booked bed midway the mountains on that day, just in SJPdP.

It's getting so close! Aaah

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What is the most reliable source of weather forecasts in this area? And is the route via Valcarlos safe in thunderstorm weather?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Mixed messages here! I will bring a good raincoat, accept what happens and follow the advice from those who know the area well. Thanks for your input :)

Hi!

First time pilgrim here, starting the Frances this Friday from SJPdP. I'm looking at the weather forecast and there might be a lot of thunderstorms. Does this mean the route Napoleon will likely be closed?

It's making me a little nervous. I have booked my first night at Orisson because I want to start with short days. How can I best proceed if the recommendations are to avoid the route Napoleon?

I also have the time to start on Thursday if that helps but obviously have no booked bed midway the mountains on that day, just in SJPdP.

It's getting so close! Aaah
If bad weather you can go via Valcarlos.
Nice Albergue there and good restaurant across the street with pilgrim menu. I have never seen that Albergue full, but you shouldn’t have a problem getting all the way from SJPP to Roncesvalles in half a day

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Thank you, @trecile ☺️. I use Meteoblue.com and Aemet.es weather forecast. I do not only look at the summary icons but also at more detailed forecast information - of which there is plenty - such as predictability status on Meteoblue and hourly forecast for temperature, wind/wind gusts and precipitation.

What I can say with confidence is that there will be no closure of the Route Napoleon and/or the Route Valcarlos because of the weather. Neither of these two crossings nor any other mountain pass in the vicinity will be closed due to severe weather for people on foot. It is up to every individual to be appropriately informed and to decide.

As is commonly known, a central part of the Route Napoleon is closed, i.e. prohibited by law, for Camino walkers from 1 November until 31 March of each year. This is decreed by the Spanish authorities. Sometimes in early April one can hear or read that the pass of the Route Napoleon is still closed. It does not mean that an official authority prohibits walking. It means that a central part of the route is not passable due to conditions on the ground such as old snow, ice, slush, mud.

Meteoblue allows to view a weather forecast for the Route Napoleon (enter Bentarte), for the Valcarlos route (enter Ibañeta) and for SJPP and Roncesvalles. Currently the predictability for Friday is only medium (2 "dots" out of 4).

For this Friday, Aemet has issued a severe weather warning due to rainfall (such warnings are only given for the next 3 days) but the areas concerned do not include the area around Roncesvalles. However, it looks like rainy days there, too.

I've been on hikes in the Alps and there it is drummed into people to fear thunderstorms and get off the mountain as quickly as possible or don't go up at all. People on the forum often advise to "ask the locals" as if they were experts in weather forecasting and were not getting their information from the same sources as everybody else ... 😶. I did once ask a local of SJPP whether it is not dangerous to walk during a thunderstorm. He did not think so. It turned out that he is a mountain biker. And also that he just does not go mountain biking when the weather is bad. Make of this what you want ... 😇

Last edited:
@verar, are you already in SJPP or still on your way?

We've got the odd situation at the moment where the weather in the Netherlands is better than in Spain. You will move from stable sunny late summer weather to cooler rainy and not very stable weather that is more difficult to predict. The Meteoblue forecast for tomorrow (Friday) is still only medium (2 "dots" out of 4) which means "accurate in parts but deviations are expected. Check again for latest updates." Thunderstorm icons are hovering around but there are no Aemet severe weather warnings for the area SJPP to Roncesvalles. The hourly forecast appears to indicate that thunderstorms / rain are more likely in the afternoon if at all ...

You've booked a night at Orisson. Which would mean that you could do most of your walking in the first part of the day on both Friday and Saturday. This is not any kind of advice from my side, though ... In SJPP, you could ask at the tourist office or at the pilgrim office for opinions and also at Orisson - Jean-Jacques is the name of the owner.

Buen Camino and let us know how it worked out for you! ☺️

Here is the current view from the nearest webcam:
Iraty webcam.jpg

Last edited:
@verar, are you already in SJPP or still on your way?

We've got the odd situation at the moment where the weather in the Netherlands is better than in Spain. You will move from stable sunny late summer weather to cooler rainy and not very stable weather that is more difficult to predict. The Meteoblue forecast for tomorrow (Friday) is still only medium (2 "dots" out of 4) which means "accurate in parts but deviations are expected. Check again for latest updates." Thunderstorm icons are hovering around but there are no Aemet severe weather warnings for the area SJPP to Roncesvalles. The hourly forecast appears to indicate that thunderstorms / rain are more likely in the afternoon if at all ...

You've booked a night at Orisson. Which would mean that you could do most of your walking in the first part of the day on both Friday and Saturday. This is not any kind of advice from my side, though ... In SJPP, you could ask at the tourist office or at the pilgrim office for opinions and also at Orisson - Jean-Jacques is the name of the owner.

Buen Camino and let us know how it worked out for you! ☺️

Here is the current view from the nearest webcam:
View attachment 177807
Hi Katharina,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and kind attention. I have arrived in SJPdP and the folks at the pilgrim office indicated no dangerous difficulty heading towards Roncesvalles. I'm happy to have my night in Orisson indeed, so I can walk mostly/only in the mornings. I hope that will save me from most of the rain and thunder, if not all.

I recognize your observation that in the Alps, thunderstorms mean the advice is to "get out of there, ideally yesterday" more or less. I have been exposed to this and so I have some natural caution built in. But now I think I'll check the weather forecast tomorrow just to be sure, but most probably make it to Orisson just fine and see from there :)

Thanks again!
Vera

A selection of Camino Jewellery
With the short walk to Orisson you can decide to leave early or later depending on the weather. If possible, I like to relax and enjoy SJPdP until until about 11 am before heading out in order to arrive up there in the early afternoon.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! First time pilgrim here, starting the Frances this Friday from SJPdP. I'm looking at the weather forecast and there might be a lot of thunderstorms. Does this mean the route Napoleon will...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.