• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Way marker symbol in Maragateria region near Brazuelo

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hi Does anyone know about the symbolism of this particular Red Cross way marker in the area between Astorga and Rabinal? I imagine it is related to the Maragateria region but not its significance.

Thanks and hope it not a silly question. I would like to know more and haven't yet found an answer

Jude

Attachments

• IMG_1907.jpeg
    IMG_1907.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 204
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No the Tao is different again, this is almost like the Red Cross symbol (of the organisation the Red Cross) but I imagine there is local significance ...
There is a red Tau cross visible on the side of the pillar - often associated with the Franciscan order or the Antonians (though they traditionally use blue). That particular style of the red cross is often associated with the Knights Templar. I think this may be an example of unofficial markings by an enthusiast rather than officially approved Camino signage.

I have no idea why these two symbols have been put on the marker for the Camino de Santiago. The cross and the tau symbol, especially when they are painted in red are commonly understood to refer to the Knights Templar. Their actual role in the history of the Camino Francés was not as important as current narratives often present it but they certainly have appeal and fuel the imagination.

The cross and the tau symbol, especially when they are painted in red, are commonly understood to refer to the Knights Templar.
I forgot to mention that the tau symbol on its own is also associated with the Antonine Order or Order of Saint Anthony (that's why they painted a tau symbol on the Camino waymarker just before the ruins of San Anton near Castrojeriz) and with Saint Francis of Assisi who, as tradition has it, walked to Santiago although there is little if any historical evidence for this.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
There is a red Tau cross visible on the side of the pillar - often associated with the Franciscan order or the Antonians (though they traditionally use blue). That particular style of the red cross is often associated with the Knights Templar. I think this may be an example of unofficial markings by an enthusiast rather than officially approved Camino signage.
yes indeed there is also a Red Tau on the side as you say, with some red paint drips indicating someone not so official added it, but I am curious about the more official Red Cross with all equal sides ... I think it is the Templar cross and there is a huge Templar Castle at Ponferrada but that is a good 45 k ahead. Wasn't sure if these numerous templar crosses are official or not but they were on almost every way marker.

Last edited:
A quick internet search identifies that symbol as one of several cross symbols of the Knights Templar. I came across a very similar one in the church in Saint-Côme-d'Olt, and when I researched it then I found it was a Knights Templar symbol.

Templar cross.jpg

it is the Templar cross and there is a huge Templar Castle at Ponferrada but that is a good 45 k ahead
The Templar Order owned land all over the place and drew income from their possessions, i.e. from economic activities, in a larger area around Ponferrada. Ponferrada was where one of their major administrative offices was located.

Rabanal del Camino had apparently some kind of Templar connection. I am not sure what it was, there are widely different descriptions on various Camino websites ...

There have apparently been efforts over the years to create a "Ruta de los templarios en los reinos de León y Castilla" or a similarly named route but these efforts have not yet succeeded it seems, judging by regional news reports. I tend to agree with @Bradypus' guess that this may be an example of unofficial markings by an enthusiast rather than officially approved Camino signage.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can't tell if the red crosses were merely painted on the mojone or if the symbols were embedded and etched in the concrete first before being painted. Also, the large black km numbers seem larger than the usual.
I can see that the two plaques are embedded, which is more obvious.

Last edited:
Rabanal del Camino had apparently some kind of Templar connection. I am not sure what it was, there are widely different descriptions on various Camino websites ...
I had a bit of a look. The descriptions on websites and in guidebooks cover the whole range from the Templars having a garrison in Rabanal del Camino to protect pilgrims to them having built the church in Rabanal.

What is apparently actually known is that in 1204 two pieces of land were sold in Rabanal that adjoined other lands that the Templar Order owned in the same area. And in 1218, there was a dispute between the Templars and the Benedictines of San Pedro de Montes about the ownership of some other territory in the area and in the document that settled the dispute there is mention of one Diego Manso, encomendador de Ravanales et de Ponferrata, which apparently indicates that both Templar houses [i.e. in Rabanal and in Ponferrada] actually depended on the same encomienda.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.