• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in Rain

frank john

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2016
October-November 2024
Hello all. I’ll be walking the Camino CF in late October thru November. It’s been 8years since my last Camino. Given the likelihood of rain, is wearing a light, hooded rain jacket, plus a backpack cover and rain pants enough coverage instead of the Altus rain poncho? Are the rain pants necessary?
Thanks for any suggestions
Frank

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I get warm quickly when walking or doing any outdoor activity, so wore a light rain jacket, my regular hiking pants (with zip on legs) and had a backpack cover. The lower part of my pants got wet but they dried rather quickly once the rain stopped. Hit heavy rain about 15 minutes out of SJPdP. Quickly found that the hood didn't protect my face from the rain and it made my warm enough that my glasses fogged up. Struggled to find my way in the dark and rain so quickly switched to my regular hiking hat and felt drier and could see where I was going.

I think that it comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer a poncho while others like me prefer a jacket and pack cover. I stopped wearing rain pants a few years ago and just wear quick-drying pants with a light rain jacket w/hood. I haven't had any issues with my pack cover trapping any water. I've also hiked with many who swear by the poncho.
So to answer your question, I do think that a rain jacket, rain pants, and pack cover are enough to get you by in the rain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Frank, I tend to wear a rain jacket and shorts ( skin is waterproof and dries easily). I use a pack cover because I want to be confident that I’ll have dry clothes to change in to if my jacket fails. Sometimes in heavy or continuous rain the “pumping” action of rucksack straps will force water through even the most expensive of the available “outdoor” gear. Every thing in my rucksack is in dry bags because pack covers don’t cover the bit between you and your rucksack and over all day down pours water will get where it wants to go. I’ve used ponchos but I don’t get on with them. Fine if you have a companion to help you in and out and sort out the drape over your pack otherwise a struggle for limited benefit.

Were you looking for a definitive answer? There ain’t one 😉

I think that it comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer a poncho while others like me prefer a jacket and pack cover. I stopped wearing rain pants a few years ago and just wear quick-drying pants with a light rain jacket w/hood. I haven't had any issues with my pack cover trapping any water. I've also hiked with many who swear by the poncho.
So to answer your question, I do think that a rain jacket, rain pants, and pack cover are enough to get you by in the rain.
These are great suggestions. I’ve never worn a hat before since I walk in October/november. I just remember the poncho flapping in the wind. Pants very wet but pack and head dry. Never thought about glasses fogging up.
Thanks. Frank

Have to agree with @Tincatinker, there is no definitive answer. I prefer pants/jacket for a couple of reasons. 1. I don’t like a poncho blowing around, and unprotected legs, especially when it’s cold, that’s very individual. 2. For me, I use the rain jacket as my outer wind-proof layer when it’s cold even if it’s not raining, my personal layering scheme. Pic is from early April on the Aragónes, no rain, just cold.

Good luck finding what works best for you.

Attachments

• IMG_8254.jpeg
    IMG_8254.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 83
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hello all. I’ll be walking the Camino CF in late October thru November. It’s been 8years since my last Camino. Given the likelihood of rain, is wearing a light, hooded rain jacket, plus a backpack cover and rain pants enough coverage instead of the Altus rain poncho? Are the rain pants necessary?
Frank
Frank,
some of the answer is personal preference, and your own tolerance for having wet clothing clinging to your body and wet socks in your boots.

If you are going to avoid getting your feet soaked, then you need a system that provides a higher level of protection than just 'waterproof' footwear. You need to prevent water running down your legs into your boots, and delay sweat from doing so as well. Knee or calf length gaiters are an option for this, as are rain pants.

Over several years, I have tried a variety of rain jackets, from very light upwards. Lighter jackets that have worked well in colder conditions did not work well for me walking in Spain, but that was in May/Jun, and you are walking later in the year. When I did take a heavier jacket, it was excellent both as rain and as wind protection, but at the expense of carrying a little extra weight. I also find that if I am working hard, sooner or later my inner layers will get soaked with sweat which is trapped inside the jacket. Depending on the conditions, this might happen sooner than later. In colder conditions, this might take the best part of a day, but in warmer conditions, it might only take a couple of hours.

As @StDenis has noted, there may be times when there are short, light, rain showers that almost don't need you to be wearing any rain protection. You don't get very wet, and are able to dry off quickly. I found this regularly in my recent pilgrimage on the Gudbrandsdalsleden in Norway, where there would regularly be a light shower like that in the morning or early afternoon. My difficulty was working out whether these were getting heavier, and I needed to get my rain gear on, or waiting it out would work. I got better at this, but never perfect. On more than one occasion, I had just finished struggling to get my rain pants etc on sitting on the side of a track or road, to find the rain almost immediately stopped. I swear there was a Norse rain god up there quietly chuckling every time!

My other thought on this is that if you do pack lighter rain gear, and it proves to be inadequate, there are enough larger towns along the way where you would be able to buy something that would work better for you. However, don't be like someone I knew who, over the course of his camino, bought four new rain jackets because each successive one didn't keep him dry. He had not contemplated that a good rain jackets keeps sweat in as well as it keeps rain out, and was working himself hard enough to raise a good sweat every time he walked in the rain.

It's a very personal choice, as with most gear questions.

Personally, my wife and I use lightweight gor-tex rain pants and jackets, along with pack covers.
We have never got wet even in a downpour.
Pack stays dry, contents always dry.

I don't enjoy being cold and wet so the idea of a wet flapping poncho has never appealed to me.

we actually enjoy walking in the rain. Enjoy the freshness. Because we don't get wet.

The one challenge I have is my feet!
On my first 3 Caminos I wore lightweight gor-tex boots.
They were great.
Feet never wet.

But sadly I can no longer wear them due to foot/knee problems.
I have to wear lighter footwear.
My last Camino was in regular trail runners.
So wet weather, even wet grass = soaking wet feet = unhappy Pilgrim.

I'm still working on a solution........

But both camps, Poncho lovers and rain pants/jackets lovers seem to be happy with their choices. ;)

I prefer in heavier rain
* Goretex-running shoes
* Goretex dirtygirl-gaiters (like this: https://www.salewa.com/de-de/protector-powertex-3l-gamaschen-00-0000028261 or https://www.nortecsport.com/de/product/hightec-gaiters/)
* some sort of kilt with <100gram for the lower body made from nylon: https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/rain-kilt/ (I asked them for a prototype with 1m of length which I got a month later - added myself two additional velco strips)
* Goretex rainjacket for the upper body
* waterresistant backpack (with additional cover if it rains cats and dogs for a longer time, like the Ula Ultra Circuit: https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/ultra-circuit/)

Kilt grabbed from the hipbelt pocket and put around the waist within 20-30 seconds. Getting the rest out of a handy drysack that is put in the mesh front pocket for quick access takes nearly 2min until everything is ready to continue the walk.

I try my best protecting my feet from water getting inside the shoes. This is may main concern I try to avoid.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@frank john, with its full length zips and sleeves realistically speaking an Altus rain poncho is a rain jacket, with the added benefit of an extension that goes over the Pack, and more length.

I always used to use a lightweight rain jacket, nowadays I use a simple decathlon poncho, because it is so quick and easy to deploy, and I don't need to take off my pack. It lives in the pocket of my pack. I simply reach back, pull it out, feed my arms through the sleeves and in the process of pulling it over my head flick it over my pack as well. It takes seconds. No mucking around, no assistance required - it really is that easy. I think I practiced this two or three times at home before I first started carrying it - I've never looked back. It is now my day-to-day rainwear and lives in my day pack.

I'm told Altas ponchos don't flap. Mine does a little in strong winds, (45km +, not nice to walk in regardless) however I just feed my belt out through the side slits and fasten it in front, minimising this issue. Because it is significantly longer than my rain jacket my posterior and crotch always stay dry, not something I can guarantee with my rain jacket.

Had I known of rain kilts I might have tried them instead, seem like a useful piece of kit. That said I love the protection that the poncho gives my pack, and the speed and ease with which I can deploy it.

Rain pants: later in the season I find them particularly useful as an additional part of my layering. (I don't generally carry them earlier in the year) Stopping the wind when it is cold, wet and windy makes a significant difference. I do tend to wear them only when it's cold however, they simply trap too much warmth otherwise.

As has been mentioned by others elsewhere I have also worn them when literally everything else is in the wash.

A pair of lightweight gators is useful, not necessarily to keep your feet dry but in keeping off the copious amounts of mud which the rain brings. Much easier to rinse off than my shoes.

As a glasses wearer I always have my (lightweight decathlon) baseball cap to hand, work's for me.

Incidentally I still use my pack cover, for both those days of occasional rain showers, and for visibility on the road sections. I, too, use a couple of dry bags, although of course a simple bin liner works and is much cheaper.

I did a very wet Camino Primitivo in May, 13 days of rain, few days of heavy rain.
I had a waterproof softshell jacket and a poncho and a backpack cower, so I tried all possible combinations.

For light rain I used jacket + backpack cover and it worked well for few hours, but poncho was much better option for days with many hours of heavy rain.

Problem with jacket/backpack cower - wet back under the backpack, but jacket helped.
Problem with poncho - condensation due to sweating.
Also, there were some days when I had to put on and take off poncho more than 10 times, and in case of sudden rain it can be tricky without help. And the wind doesn't help.
Poncho gives you a pleasant feeling of protection, jacket is more practical.
For my next camino I will take the same combination.

And for shoes... all shoes were wet, at some point we all had wet feet, non-waterproof ones dry faster.

20240518_101952.jpg

Last edited:
Been on the same very wet Primitivo (guess i started a few days earlier cuz we had 4 nice days before the rain). Had a combination of Jacket + Kilt, non-waterproof shoes.
Upper body was fine, feet were fine to some point. Hands were a bit of an issue cause i had nothing to protect them.
Since we kinda got surprised by how bad the weather became i am still quide content with how well my pretty light system worked. If i had known before (or could have expected it) i would have added an umbrella.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like the idea of a rain kilt also - thanks!

I am a jacket/pack cover walker. Tried a poncho, but it wasn't for me. One of the reasons I like the jacket is because
when there is precipitation,
your exertion creates perspiration,
and your rain clothes prevent evaporation,
hence you have condensation.

I found that by occasionally adjusting the zipper of the jacket allowed me somewhat better control of aeration to delay or minimize condensation build-up.

As others have said, after a rainstorm a nice dry change of clothes is very welcome. Everything in my pack is either in a dry bag or ziplock bags, and I usually have a couple of extra with me.

Some friends of mine walked the CP in the first part of April this year, probably as wet as @dugavski experienced, and their description was "wet, wet, wet, and then more wet". They had to buy supplemental rain gear en route. I walked the same route during the last half of April and had glorious sunshine the whole way - never had to use my rain gear. Which brings me to my last point - most pilgrims plan their Camino months in advance, i.e. far more in advance of any reliable weather forecast. Therefore one has to prepare and pack layers for all combinations of wet, dry, hot and cold weather.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
It rained daily on me in January and intermittently throughout each day. It was easier to wear the Altus than a jacket as I didn't have to stop, take off my pack, put on the jacket, and put my pack back on. The Altus went on over everything a d then when it stopped raining for a bit, I could tie the sleeves a d wear it like a cape until the next downpour began.

Edit: legs were fine as the poncho is long on me.

A rain jacket, a rain cover for my backpack.
My skin is waterproof so no problem with regular pants.
Merrill Moab Ventilator boots (non-waterproof, dried easily) or Moab waterproof boots (kept feet dry in heavy rain) on three separate Caminos. Each worked well, each had pros and cons. I think I'd guess at the likelihood of rain to decide which to use next time.
Wrapped rain jacket around my waist when walking in threatening weather. Easy on, easy off.
Many times helped pilgrims maneuver their ponchos on in wind and rain - no thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Frank
May 2024 was quite rainy. I had no rain pants but a garbage bag around my waist worked well as a rain kilt. Light, and easily packed.

I’ve used ponchos but I don’t get on with them. Fine if you have a companion to help you in and out and sort out the drape over your pack otherwise a struggle for limited benefit.

Many times helped pilgrims maneuver their ponchos on in wind and rain - no thanks!
I see comments like this all the time and I do not doubt either of you for a moment. But I seriously wonder why this is the case.

I have a simple basic decathlon poncho.
I can take it out of the side pocket of my pack without taking off my pack, put my arms through the sleeves, chuck it up and over myself and my pack and pull it down in roughly 30 seconds. I don't even have to take my baseball cap off.

I'm not some superfit, super flexible young thing, I'm 60 years old.

I just tried an alternative as well - simply releasing waist and chest straps, sliding the Pack so it hangs off one shoulder, removing the poncho, doing the straps back up and putting it on - again, under a minute.

Sure I practiced a couple of times before I got it initially but after using this a few times it just became second nature. Very occasionally it's got caught on top of my pack: I simply pull it back towards my head and then flick it backwards again and down it goes. A video including this will be part of my rain Gear video that'll come out sometime in the next month or two (I need to get some rain first!).

It also comes off really quickly and easily should the rain cease. I then stuff it back into the side pocket until I need it again (occasionally just 10 minutes later 😅).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Frank
You will get wet. Not a deal breaker, just annoying. Trash bag as an internal rain barrier in my backpack worked.

Hi Frank, I tend to wear a rain jacket and shorts ( skin is waterproof and dries easily). I use a pack cover because I want to be confident that I’ll have dry clothes to change in to if my jacket fails. Sometimes in heavy or continuous rain the “pumping” action of rucksack straps will force water through even the most expensive of the available “outdoor” gear. Every thing in my rucksack is in dry bags because pack covers don’t cover the bit between you and your rucksack and over all day down pours water will get where it wants to go. I’ve used ponchos but I don’t get on with them. Fine if you have a companion to help you in and out and sort out the drape over your pack otherwise a struggle for limited benefit.

Frank

I loved your response, as sometimes it is difficult to add humour or tone to a written response. So often a response can sound abrupt without the writer meaning it, but you nailed it beautifully as your response was factual but with humour, 👏👏👏👏

I see comments like this all the time and I do not doubt either of you for a moment. But I seriously wonder why this is the case.

I can take it out of the side pocket of my pack without taking off my pack, put my arms through the sleeves, chuck it up and over myself and my pack and pull it down in roughly 30 seconds. I don't even have to take my baseball cap off.

I just tried an alternative as well - simply releasing waist and chest straps, sliding the Pack so it hangs off one shoulder, removing the poncho, doing the straps back up and putting it on - again, under a minute.

Sure I practiced a couple of times before I got it initially but after using this a few times it just became second nature. Very occasionally it's got caught on top of my pack: I simply pull it back towards my head and then flick it backwards again and down it goes. A video including this will be part of my rain Gear video that'll come out sometime in the next month or two (I need to get some rain first!).

It also comes off really quickly and easily should the rain cease. I then stuff it back into the side pocket until I need it again (occasionally just 10 minutes later 😅).

I'm also a fan of "poncho" style rain coats that fit a pack. I used the Altus on 3 weeks of mostly continuous rain last Oct/Nov. All of the reasons that Peter has illuminated. Quick and easy on and off without stopping, can wear it like a cape to avoid overheating, pack stays dry.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I always keep the inside of my pack lined inside with a trash bag. In addition all clothes are sealed in plastic,so there is no worry they will get wet.

Whatever system you decide upon, walk with it at home on a rainy day in training.

Frank
Last October it rained so hard for so long, nothing worked. Anything remotely rainproof makes one sweat - bad. Went I took all my protective layers off, I was still soaked. A poncho does help keep the bag dry. I walked with a bag cover and everything still got soaked. A poncho over the bag cover seemed to work.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I’ll happily walk with you in the rain 🌈

Frank
Ever tried to put on a poncho over your pack on your own in windy and rainy weather?
That will give you some idea of how difficult it is.
Rain jacket doubles as a wind cheater as well so much more versatile. Rain pants keep rain off and if warm can be worn over underwear.
Very versatile, easy to put on however nothing keeps out really heavy wind driven rain. A friend had a poncho torn to shreds crossing the Pyrenees.
What would you use most afterwards?
Buen Camino
Mark

Ever tried to put on a poncho over your pack on your own in windy and rainy weather?
That will give you some idea of how difficult it is.
Rain jacket doubles as a wind cheater as well so much more versatile. Rain pants keep rain off and if warm can be worn over underwear.
Very versatile, easy to put on however nothing keeps out really heavy wind driven rain. A friend had a poncho torn to shreds crossing the Pyrenees.
What would you use most afterwards?
Buen Camino
Mark
Honestly, I had no trouble at all putting my Altus on and off multiple times a day (Or hour!). After the first couple of days I rarely even stopped, just did it while continuing walking. My pack stayed completely, totally dry the whole 3 weeks of rain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As I said just a few posts above, frequently. It's extremely easy. It's also much quicker than putting on a rain jacket. And whilst my rain jacket and pants typically stay in my cupboard, my poncho is with me in my day pack nearly every day in normal life - it's far more practical. No more wet crotch or backside.

I concur, it's not quite as good a rain cheater as my rain jacket but still works well.

Any item that gets torn apart in the wind is clearly not very good quality. I wouldn't call my decathlon poncho top quality but it's clearly better than your friends was as it's weathered numerous storms including winds that I could barely stand up in.

My raincoat is better quality and more rain resistant; my poncho is more practical.

You’ll have gathered that it’s a personal decision with pretty much every combination of answer.

I live in a wet part of the UK.

My default would be a waterproof jacket - old school, not one which ends at what I fondly remember as my waist, but extending half-way down my backside.

Legwear are shorts; although in torrential ‘it’s not going to stop’ rain I’d wear lightweight leggings and waterproof trousers.

I used to carry calf-gaiters - common in the hills of NW England; but I’ve recently adopted a pair of Aussie mini-gaiters, which literally just cover my boot top. They’re intended to prevent little stones, but do shed water.

I’m poncho-phobic. I’ve bought two in recent years, but hate them with a passion. I gave them away. I’ve never seen one in use in Europe other than on-Camino.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Frank
I have a similar question ❓ thanks for asking it Frank. I'm walking in October. I'm debating poncho vs pack cover. I bought a lined REI rain jacket that opens in the arm pit area.

I've never owned a rain jacket before. I always just avoid the rain, so this is really stretching my comfort zone. I thought a thicker lined rain jacket would serve a dual purpose of warmth plus rain protection. 🤞🏼

I was planning to bring two pairs of Lululemon leggings. I'd bring rain ☔ 🌧️ pants or quick dry pants 👖 but can't seem to find any ... Suggestions?

Thanks all.

I thought a thicker lined rain jacket would serve a dual purpose of warmth plus rain protection.
Yes, but having the warmer lining attached means that the jacket only serves one purpose - rain protection in cold weather.

It provides more flexibility if you have two separate layers that can be combined as needed (or not needed) - a light long sleeve layer to wear with or without other layers, and a light waterproof shell that can be worn alone or with whatever layers are needed.

Frank
I often walk this time of year and even into December. Rain gear is essential always but probably even more so in October. My personal preference is the Packa, similar to the Altus in that it’s a combination rain jacket / poncho that also covers the backpack. I haven’t used the Altus but many folks on this forum are probably familiar with it. My Packa is waterproof, has all the functionality of a rain jacket, with put zips for ventilation and cinch cords to tighten things down if it’s windy. Even the portion that covers the backpack is cinchable. And, unlike a poncho, the Packa does not flap around in the wind. Check out the website and watch the video for more info about features.
Personally I find rain pants to be too hot in general, so I rarely use them and it’s more for a windbreak in the cold. As far as pack covers go, I’ve never found one that’s truly waterproof. For me a pack cover serves to keep dirt off my pack and to keep the straps from getting tangled or caught on something when having the pack transported. Instead. I use 2 pack liner bags — I buy mine from either Gossamer Gear or Garage Grown Gear, also trash compactor bags will work. I pack my sleeping bag and sleeping clothes in one and everything else in the 2nd. They weigh next to nothing so there’s little or no weight penalty. And my stuff stays dry and protected from any insects that might be lurking. Using a regular rain jacket plus liners would make a Packa or Altus unnecessary, but of course the backpack, including the straps, would get wet, something some folks find bothersome. I hope this helps.
It’s been now 7 years since my most recent Camino, you’re so lucky to be going soon! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, but having the warmer lining attached means that the jacket only serves one purpose - rain protection in cold weather.

It provides more flexibility if you have two separate layers that can be combined as needed (or not needed) - a light long sleeve layer to wear with or without other layers, and a light waterproof shell that can be worn alone or with whatever layers are needed.
I hear you and I could not find that. The light rain jackets were so light they seemed like they would not do anything. If only there were perfect Camino clothes. We need to open a returned pilgrim store that has all the best gear! REI has been a bit disappointing this Camino. On the other hand, I grew up in Florida and when it's 65 I'm freezing, so the lined jacket will likely be worn a lot!!! :-0 ) but if you have any favorites, feel free to recommend them. I have three more days until I depart.

Frank
i’d rather have an excellent quality rain jacket than a trouser.

Usually, I always have both.

Best part of having a trouser is to protect your shoes and feet.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The purpose of a rain jacket is to keep you dry. If it does that it's doing it's job. If you want warmth you layer something underneath it.
We think this, but what we have are a variety of materials that won't let moisture pass. More modern fabrics will allow transpiration of vapour, which allows some of our sweat vapour to escape, but otherwise it keeps sweat in as much as it keeps rain out. So it is naive to think that we will stay dry if we are active enough to raise a sweat. I always hope that getting wet from my (warm) sweat is a better option than getting both wet and cold from the rain. As I noted earlier, it isn't always so.

I get hot and sweat a lot under my rain gear in October and into early November in Spain. So if it isn't too windy I carry an umbrella aloft and keep my hat off and the neck of my Gore-Tex rain jacket unzipped. Of course if it's blasting too much wind with the rain I have to be "all buttoned up" and put the umbrella away. I wear a rain kilt instead of rain pants to keep my legs and lower torso cooler. That works even in blasting wind and rain. Knee high gaiters help a lot too. They keep the rainwater from running down into my (again, Gore-Tex) boots. Buen Camino

I always keep the inside of my pack lined inside with a trash bag. In addition all clothes are sealed in plastic,so there is no worry they will get wet.

Whatever system you decide upon, walk with it at home on a rainy day in training.
Good advice, but I live in the desert. 😊

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thankfully I have the Decathlon poncho as well.
I bought it in Burgos on my recent Camino, just before walking in 3 freezing days, two of them sleet. (I had never encountered sleet before, it was a nasty surprise). Almost every day had been cold (only 2 warm days) but when I reached the top of the hill from Castrojeriz the wind/rain nearly knocked me over, and it stayed like that for 3 days straight, getting colder each day. It was another whole level of unpleasant. I was also sick with the flu.
To add to the awfulness, there is a long stretch of irrigated wheat fields on the way to Fromista, and despite the rain the irrigation was turned on - to reach the pilgrims on the path. I had my face down to avoid the rain on that day, it was coming at me horizontally, and I didnt realise I was walking right into the spray.

I walked in shorts, and on my top half everything else I took with me. I think I must have walked at the same time as AnnieSantiago as I read one of her posts.
My legs were fine, Im short so the poncho came down my legs, and my legs don't seem to feel the cold as much anyway. My hands and face though were freezing and I had to buy a buff, and some warmer gloves, but my poncho was awesome. I wore it over a coat and pulled the hood ties in tight so I only had a tiny piece of buff covered face exposed, and sunglasses.
Both me and my pack were dry. My shoes were disgustingly covered in mud, but that's another story.
I had expected the weather to be warmer, and had packed accordingly.
I caught the flu in my first week in Spain, and couldn't shake the worst of it for 2 1/2 weeks. At night I was freezing and wore everything I had inside my sleeping bag, and used the albergue blankets as well if there were any or my poncho if not. The radiators were coming on at 11pm, so during the night it would warm up.

Later on when the weather improved, I used it as a dry seat. It has to have been one of my best purchases.
Putting it on was never an issue as it went on as I got dressed and stayed on all day. As the days improved I wore less underneath.
Since I've been home I've worn it for showers, and it takes only seconds to put on. Its not a big floaty one though, I have had ponchos that were.

Last edited:
Frank
Ola Frank. I’ve done Camino with and without rain pants. I’m going again in 2 weeks and I’ll take rain pants , they are light and worth it.
Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Frank
In September 2015, my husband and I walked the first day of our very first walk on the Camino Frances in the remnants of a tropical storm. So lots of driving rain and plenty of wind! It's a wonder we didn't quit and go home! But we sure did learn fast about what not to do! So here's a couple of additions to what everyone else has already said:

1. Make sure you have a really good waterproof jacket. My Mountain Hardwear jacket was perfect. The hood stayed up in the wind and kept out the rain. And it wasn't too hot either. My husband's Columbia jacket failed miserably.
2. Before you start out in the morning, check the weather on your cell phone. If you can pinpoint where you will be when heavy rain is likely, you might be able to work around it. Once it starts raining, it's pretty damned hard to be checking anything on your phone.
3. If you are wearing hiking pants, make sure they are loose and long so that they direct water away from the inside of your boots.
4. Be careful! Getting wet is miserable, but not the worst thing that can happen! It's easy to slip and fall or lose your way in poor visibility.

Buen Camino!

Kitty

Shorts in November? We Americans are known for wearing shorts even into the dead of winter, lol, but just wondering if that's a good idea for Camino.

Would you mind sharing a favorite brand or two for quick-drying pants? Thanks.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Frank
That's what I'm considering too, although we may opt for the Via de la Plata, pending more information. If we go for Frances, maybe we'll see each other. 😀

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth...
I'm plan to complete the Camino Frances in a final 2 week stint from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I'll need to wash clothes half way, which will probably be near Sarria. Does anyone know...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.