Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in October - does it differ much from May / June?

SudoCaminoDan

Time of past OR future Camino
May - June 2024
Hi,

We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it.

We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next year to continue from wherever we stop), but obviously the weather in October in unlikely to be as nice as in May / June.

Has anyone walked in early October who can shed any light on if it's going to be massively colder, wetter, or more slippery when compared to May / June - especially over the Pyrenees and down into Zubiri on those razor-sharp rocks?

We took ponchos with us in May & June and had to use them 3 times in the entire 800km journey... so had a great time with the weather! We're hoping for the same in October, but guessing we might not be as lucky.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I concur with @dreaming as I walked at the same time. First half of October was very hot. But, of course the weather has been very hot and miss this year so it would be impossible to say really. It was snowing over 2000m near Leon last week as an example, which wouldn't be odd in times past.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dan --- take heart--- I was told the weather I experienced fall of 2023 was very unusual, so take my bad weather Camino with a grain of salt. I agree with J Willhaus - the weather is likely to change significantly between 10/1 and 11/1. I'd prepare for very warm days early in Oct. and much cooler (even cold) days later in the month.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it.

We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next year to continue from wherever we stop), but obviously the weather in October in unlikely to be as nice as in May / June.

Has anyone walked in early October who can shed any light on if it's going to be massively colder, wetter, or more slippery when compared to May / June - especially over the Pyrenees and down into Zubiri on those razor-sharp rocks?

We took ponchos with us in May & June and had to use them 3 times in the entire 800km journey... so had a great time with the weather! We're hoping for the same in October, but guessing we might not be as lucky.
I walked from 16th October for 7 days and rained every day. It wasn't cold and as soon as i bought a poncho everything was great I even walked in sandals was quite refreshing actually. I kept reminding my self that the pilgrims before us most probably didn't have much in the way of waterproof clothing and most probably hungry most of the way so thanks to god for keeping me blessed throughout my walk.

Did it from SJPDP 2023 in late April may and warm the whole way except for about 4 days. Did the primitivo April may 2024 and had snow and sleet by the end.
I’m going the Frances again at the beginning of October so was pondering the same question. As people say , I think it might be cool by the end of the month but I’m going expecting more rain and cold than last year. Might see you somewhere along the way Buen Camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi,

I have done both seasons several times. Weather risk is equal. Only difference is daylight is much shorter in October

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We walked the last week in September and finished the last week of October. We had only 1 day of rain and it was a bit cool that day but a jacket was good enough. I hiked in a skirt the entire time. I had a pair of long pants for the evening. We started usually around 6 am and never needed gloves. We are planning to go again at that time of year.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I searched the forum and only saw threads about Portugal. I was googling for info about the fires, and Google Maps showed one in Spain. No idea how...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back