• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from Le Puy to SJPP.

JeffP

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2023 > April-May 2024
I will be starting my '25 Camino in Le Puy. When can I start and feel comfortable that gites will be open and plentiful? This is one concern that I have. I usually start around the 1st of April when on the Francis. Is late February too early?

Also, I plan to take three rest days. What towns would you suggest I stay in during my zero days?

Thanks! Buen Camino!!!

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
@JeffP, I have yet to walk the route, still just in the planning stages. I recall seeing a number of posts that point out that many Gites only opened late March/ beginning of April. You may therefore struggle to find accommodation.

In addition to which, even in early April some people reported lots of rain and some snow on the Aubrac. I think should you want to walk earlier you would need to be prepared for walking in snow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started the Via Podiensis out of Le Puy on June 1st with two friends. In our planning we had seen photos of pilgrims who struggled in slippy slushy snow just a week earlier, as the area is part of the Aubrac region.
We did not encounter snow, only chilly weather the first half, but hard to predict weather as we all know.

I will be starting my '25 Camino in Le Puy. When can I start and feel comfortable that gites will be open and plentiful? This is one concern that I have. I usually start around the 1st of April when on the Francis. Is late February too early?

Also, I plan to take three rest days. What towns would you suggest I stay in during my zero days?

Thanks! Buen Camino!!!
Most seasonal gites only open in early April. Late February is fine, but not optimum as it is definitely off-season. Expect snow in the Aubrac, so you may need to take the road in places, to walk further at times, and stay in more expensive places, and may find that you may need to bring food with you depending on the distances you walk.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I will be starting my '25 Camino in Le Puy. When can I start and feel comfortable that gites will be open and plentiful? This is one concern that I have. I usually start around the 1st of April...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back