• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk to Padron instead of boat

KatC

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2022 - Camino Portugues from Tui
I apologize if this has already been discussed in a thread, but I am wondering if anyone has walked from Vilanova de Arousa instead of taking the boat to Pontecesures. I took the boat in June and it was not quite like I thought it would be. It was beautiful, but a bit more crowded than I would have liked on the Camino. If you have walked instead of taking the boat, what were your thoughts on the walk? Were there plenty of places to stop on the way, as I know it will take me a while if I choose to do this instead of the boat next time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Variante Espiritual in December 2021 and the boats weren't running. I had already planned to walk from Vilanova de Arousa to Vilagarcia (which was a nice walk) and then walked the Via Verde do Salnes to Caldas de Reis. The Via Verde is a former railroad right of way converted to a walking/biking path. Easy walking, about 23 km from Vilanova to Caldas de Reis, and then the regular stage to Padron the next day. I actually left the Via Verde just before it crossed the Rio Umia and followed the footpath along the river the rest of the way to Caldas de Reis. There are no services along the Via Verde (that I noticed), so eat in Vilagarcia or bring food.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked this stage in November of 2018 to Pontecesures (32 kms). Here's from my journal entry; "The reports I had read were not very positive, including the hospitalero, but they are wrong. It is as good a stage as many I've walked. It had estuary scenery, variety of paths, the road walking was very safe, and the river Ulla trails were excellent. There are plenty of bars and restaurants." The albergue in Pontecesures was very nice.

I apologize if this has already been discussed in a thread, but I am wondering if anyone has walked from Vilanova de Arousa instead of taking the boat to Pontecesures. I took the boat in June and it was not quite like I thought it would be. It was beautiful, but a bit more crowded than I would have liked on the Camino. If you have walked instead of taking the boat, what were your thoughts on the walk? Were there plenty of places to stop on the way, as I know it will take me a while if I choose to do this instead of the boat next time.
Have a look at @stingynomads article on this, they have walked all the routes and I think they advised against (can't remember why)🙂

We walked to Vilagarcia Arousa about 7 km and took a train to Pontecesueres. And from there We walked to the Monastery in Hebron.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back