Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk the Camino, while working remotely?

Unweekends

American - planning 1st time Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2025
So I live in US & currently work remotely. My job will only allow 2 weeks of vacation time to be taken in one block. Obviously this is not enough time to walk the Camino.

Then I had an idea! What if I can work from the alberges in the afternoon? I am in the Central Time Zone so Spain is 7 hours ahead. Which means my US 8-4 work schedule would be 3-11PM in Spain.

Instead of taking 10 workdays off in one block, I could take Thursday/ Friday off for 5 consecutive weeks. That way I will have Thursday - Sunday with no work & then Monday- Wednesday I can work 3-11PM from my alberge. Then this could be a 5 week trip ( or maybe 6 if needed).

Do you think the Internet connections would be strong enough ( especially during those times mentioned)? Will I be able to log in to my company VPN? Do you think it's realistic to carry my work laptop?

I am a manager, and half of my work is various weekly zoom meetings ( team meetings, one on one meetings, manager meetings, etc.) I average 12 meetings a week ( or about 3 a day).

Is this idea plausible? If needed, I could rent private room for Monday- Wednesday so I can get my work done, and on those days only walk 4-5 hours. Then Thursday - Sunday I can do the public accomodations & walk 8 hours

Thoughts?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So I live in US & currently work remotely. My job will only allow 2 weeks of vacation time to be taken in one block. Obviously this is not enough time to walk the Camino.

Then I had an idea! What if I can work from the alberges in the afternoon? I am in the Central Time Zone so Spain is 7 hours ahead. Which means my US 8-4 work schedule would be 3-11PM in Spain.

Instead of taking 10 workdays off in one block, I could take Thursday/ Friday off for 5 consecutive weeks. That way I will have Thursday - Sunday with no work & then Monday- Wednesday I can work 3-11PM from my alberge. Then this could be a 5 week trip ( or maybe 6 if needed).

Do you think the Internet connections would be strong enough ( especially during those times mentioned)? Will I be able to log in to my company VPN? Do you think it's realistic to carry my work laptop?

I am a manager, and half of my work is various weekly zoom meetings ( team meetings, one on one meetings, manager meetings, etc.) I average 12 meetings a week ( or about 3 a day).

Is this idea plausible? If needed, I could rent private room for Monday- Wednesday so I can get my work done, and on those days only walk 4-5 hours. Then Thursday - Sunday I can do the public accomodations & walk 8 hours

Thoughts?
Making work commitments and depending on WiFi is risky. You might find reliable internet some places but don’t count on it. I had connection problems or strength problems even in some nice hotels.
Getting GB on an eSIM is fairly reasonable, assuming you could hot spot from that.
I met someone who has done multiple caminos, shipping luggage daily that contained 2 laptops for work. Seems very possible as long as you can get connected.

I would think doing this will depend upon the company for which you work as well as the industry. My son is a manager and supervises several remote workers. He allows them to move around as long as they keep him informed. One thing he cannot allow is international travel as he works in health care and having his team working remotely outside the US could possibly violate HIPPA regulations. Hope this works out for you. Buen Camino.

In my opinion this is not a good plan.
1) the wifi will not be very good in some places.
2) being busy with your job is not the real camino idea. What most people enjoy is being away from daily life, from work, from problems. The ideal Camino life is walk, eat, sleep and repeat.
3) You will hardly have the opportunity to get friends on the Camino.
3) if you only have two weeks, why five weeks? Why not choose a shorter Camino or start nearer to Santiago? Then you can fully enjoy Camino-life and get Camino-friends.

How about walking a shorter Camino instead? You could walk the Camino Francés from Astorga or the Camino Portuguese from Porto.

The Portuguese Camino is especially suited for those with a limited time frame because you can fly into Porto and you don't have to spend a day traveling to your start point, plus the majority of people who walk the Portuguese Caminos start from Porto so it feels more like a complete Camino.

Thoughts?
I have found it tricky to find 1- reliable WiFi, and 2- privacy. It can be done - I own my business so can’t check out completely for several weeks at a time, and I’ve been working a bit. But it’s not been convenient ( not to mention the extra weight from my iPad 🙄)

Also, dont underestimate how tired you’ll be. Sometimes getting to the guesthouse for the day all I wanted was sleep!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Thoughts?
You could make it work, but I think it's going to be a lot of hard work and frustrating when you want to just hang around with your Camino friends and enjoy the Camino life.

I would just take a two-week Camino and immerse yourself totally. If you're talking about the Camino Frances you can start in Leon or Astorga. Or come back in multiple years if necessary. Many people do that.

If you try your 5 week plan, definitely get a Spanish SIM that you can hotspot and know that there are some days when the internet will not work out.
Buen Camino.

This may be hard to get approved but how about your company letting you go for four weeks with you working remotely halftime, thus using the same 80 hours. You get to handle the manager stuff and someone gets delegated with the not so managing stuff like meetings and giving you the minutes. Maybe five weeks but halftime on weekends too. You don't suffer too much each day and they get you for the emergencies and important stuff each day you're away, win-win.

Unweekends, to echo several other posters...

...there's more than one Camino to Santiago.

...some of the Caminos have historic startpoints within 2 weeks walking time (Ingles, Primitivo, and parts of the Portuguese).

...even if you want the Frances, there is absolutely no requirement to start at 5, 4, or even 3 weeks out. The only restriction is if you want Compostela, and that 100km distance is not overly challenging in 2 weeks .

More importantly, why do you want to go? It would take an impressive amount of compartmentalization to both maintain work and still be open to what the Camino can bring you.

Thoughts?
Your biggest issue will probably be the weight of your device, probably a laptop if you are using it to conduct high level meetings. You may also find yourself subjecting your work/life balance to a very precise critical analysis, but good luck whatever happens. Privacy and Wifi connection should be fine.

This is something I and others encountered on a Camino. It quickly became an irksome presence, caused a few arguments and alienated folk as a result. The perpetrator skulked about deceiving , lying and unable to look you in the face. Thoroughly unpleasant and quite against all the principles of a Camino.

Don't be that guy........

This is something I and others encountered on a Camino. It quickly became an irksome presence, caused a few arguments and alienated folk as a result. The perpetrator skulked about deceiving , lying and unable to look you in the face. Thoroughly unpleasant and quite against all the principles of a Camino.

Did you accidentally post this on the wrong thread? I'm afraid I can't see any relevance whatsoever to the OP's question.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
IMO it’s not a great idea for many reasons. I recommend doing a shorter Camino, where you have nothing else to think about but walk, eat, sleep, enjoy the landscape, food and drink, and your encounters with other people along the way.

Last edited:
@Unweekends, I'm with many of the others here. Whilst it would be conceivable my personal feeling would be that you would benefit far more from just taking the time that you can and walking either part of the Camino Frances or one of the shorter camino's.
If you're truly set on walking the Frances why not just walk it in stages - many do. Walk the first two weeks and come back to it when you can next get more time off.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Others have said what I think.. Logistically it's possible (with some forward planning and compromising), but I think with isolating yourself away from the camino environment and focusing on a demanding job for three out of every seven days, you won't be able to immerse yourself properly, which is the whole point. Why not do a two week camino and come back and do a longer one when you have more time.

I actually met a couple of folks who worked while on Camino.
Let's just say that they were not too happy with the arrangement
To me personally that is in a sense no different than "working while on vacation ". If I have to work then I'm not "on vacation". I do not deny that my job is important to me but when I'm on vacation- there are no phone calls, emails and/or text messages that are business related! My boss likes to jokingly say "if one gets hit by the bus "... well I just got hit by one and cannot answer those emails....
In addition I treated my Pilgrimage as that - it was a Spiritual Religious walk that required a certain state of mind (speaking strictly for myself and not comparing to anyone else) and all & any work stuff would be a huge distraction
Good luck and Buen Camino no matter what you decide

Thoughts?
Not easy but very doable in my view. I guess you need to gauge how it will go down with your manager and team. If they are supportive and you can maybe present it in a positive light then I would take a serious look. I think you can manage the tech ( no real issue with wifi) and the time differences easy enough. I have done a lot of working remotely whilst on vacation in quite remote locations tho. obv. on the Camino you are in the move. It was very positive. You can prepare and reflect on your meetings and workload.s as you go! It’s like a retreat and much cheaper! In fact I think a Camino wouldbe a good retreat for business leaders. Be honest to your team and boss and suggest that there may be the odd glitch but no more!

Are you client facing? That may shed a different light.

99% of these sort of things can be done if you have the right attitude, and just some give and take on both sides.

Last edited:
If you want a working Camino talk to folks in your IT department. Tell them that you may experience bad connectivity even at public libraries or hotel business centers and ask them for solutions. Do you need a VPN, a smartphone wifi hotspot or a travel router, what charger would they recommend, could you get away with a tablet or do you need a laptop?

If you want a working Camino talk to folks in your IT department. Tell them that you may experience bad connectivity even at public libraries or hotel business centers and ask them for solutions. Do you need a VPN, a smartphone wifi hotspot or a travel router, what charger would they recommend, could you get away with a tablet or do you need a laptop?
All good suggestions but in the end you are still at the mercy of anything in the immediate vicinity. If the connections are spotty at best - no VPN Hotspot or smart phone will help.
Short of strong military-style satellite link....
IMHO I would not chance some important meeting ...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thoughts?
Can't say if it's a good or a bad plan... it is doable but you'll lose part of the experience.

If a guaranteed quality connection and privacy while you work is important for you to complete your duties; I'd find a hotel in a city along the way, use it as a base and use taxis to and from wherever you finish walking for the day. Change cities every few days.

You're not guaranteed a decent Internet connection in albergues, and you may not find/get private rooms.

As for carrying your laptop... if you feel you're fit enough to do so, then go for it. I don't know your company's IT security policy, but I imagine they'll take a dim view of it being left unattended in an albergue dormitory. Anytime you're in an albergue you will have to keep it with you at all times.

The next thing to check with your HR is work related insurance and income tax related. What are the implications for you working in Spain for 6 weeks? It's likely no one will care until something stupid happens..., and your life will become a lot more interesting than you want it to be...

While I agree with most of these posts that is ideal to disconnect, it is entirely possible to work remotely while walking, especially on the Frances. I would recommend booking private rooms for your work days ( so you can take calls in peace and not disturb other pilgrims), consider shorter walking days on the days you will work, and be flexible to spend time with your Camino family on the days you aren’t working. After completing (most) of the Frances this summer, the only way I see taking that chunk of time again is if I’m working remotely…IMO, definitely worth doing while working than not doing at all. 💕

I came across a gentleman while on the Camino who was having an emergency zoom meeting while on the trail. It was a bit shocking as I was certainly in another mental zone at that moment. It was a lively discussion that I did not care to be a part of. You say that you would plan the meetings so as not to interfere with your walk, reality is that things happen while you work that cannot be predicted and need to be dealt with on their time and not on yours. Someone suggested to do two devoted weeks and then return to do more. I think you may enjoy that more as well not having to be concerned about work back home. Just my opinion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My husband carried two laptops on the parts of the Camino Frances that he did--the second one in case the first failed. Got transport for his smallish pack with other items/clothing.

We had booked rooms or small hotels and had adequate internet and were there about 2 weeks on that trip, but I echo the recommendations to walk the Camino in 2 week sections. It would give time to process the experience and something to look forward to in getting back to the Camino.

Why does this feel like the dumbest idea I've ever heard? Because it is. The camino is not sitting on the beach. The camino is 30 days of 26km distances everyday. We don't walk the camino to work. We walk it for the spiritual connection we get, which, in deed, we don't know we have, until some potent but subtle change manifests itself to us. At the end of a 26km walk, we drop our pack, take a shower, work on our feet, and watch our newly minted international friends roll in to the albergue. This is a time for camaraderie and eating... we eat early dinner and then we eat late dinner, then we sleep and get up at 5, take a dump and start walking again. The last thing you want is to carry anything that isn't absolutely necessary. That 3 pound laptop becomes 20 pounds after ten miles. Seriously, if you are thinking about working while you are on your camino, then you are not spiritually ready for your camino and it will be a disaster in every which way it can be. You will lose your laptop. You will lose your job. You will lose your mind... and then you will be ready for your camino... to heal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For myself, one of the main goals of Camino was to experience a prolonged period of having an almost-empty mental job queue and close to no mental stress, in an environment having no associations with the world of work. It helped me draw a definite line between my career and my retirement.

For some of us, Camino is a form of retreat which can provide space for the emergence of thoughts about the important things in life, and perhaps to recognize and solve unresolved issues and / or make decisions that one had not even realized needed to be made. For others it is simply a period of mental rest during which one can watch the birds and look at the wildflowers and study the waves of the wheat-fields in the breeze.

Working remotely and effectively whilst on Camino is probably possible, but doing so would require not only all of the mental intensity and effort typical of one's normal work, but also the additional mental effort required to arrange and manage en-route internet connectivity and ensure suitable physical environments for the work sessions, plus the thrill of managing the risks of failing to successfully manage those additional tasks and missing the on-line work schedules, plus the physical effort of the walking, plus either doing daily hand-laundry or finding laundromats, while in a state of post-walk fatigue.

Whatever one's line of work, attempting to do it on Camino will unavoidably be more stressful than doing it at home. It will be a challenge, not a retreat.

If what you seek is a challenge, not a retreat, and the challenge that you choose is to combine work with Camino, then go for it! I wish you success!

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Agree with most comments. You would be wasting hard earned leave if you try and work . Camino should be about enjoying the moment. Dodgy wifi, lack of privacy and don't forget security of the connection would spoil an enjoyable experience IMHO. I would go for Porto option and enjoy the full two weeks at an easy pace and back to work fully refreshed with a lot of new friends and memories

Thoughts?
I had to work on my first Camino, but not to the extent you’re discussing. For me it was only a few hours a week. That said, some thoughts:

-choose a shorter Camino. The Portuguese from Porto would fit your timeline well (I also walked this - not working at all). Come back and do the Frances when you can settle in and take it in its entirety. You’ll be grateful you did.
-if you still decide to do the Frances, get the AT&T (or Verizon has similar I think) international plan. It’s now $12 /day to a max $120 /month I think, and you will have a solid connection if you hotspot.
-when you’re working, be kind to the other pilgrims and do your work and calls away from them. Part of the beauty of the Camino is being present in the moment and disconnected. Except for checking map and booking apps, or taking pics, I didn’t see any phones out. In a 30+ day I didn’t see any pilgrim on a call or video call. That sort of peace and disconnected life is hard to find.
-I carried my computer, etc. the whole way (no porter service). It gets heavy.
-You may want to check if your employer has a leave of absence policy. Typically these are unpaid, but it at least solves your problem in one dimension.

Good luck on figuring out what works for you - Buen Camino!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Non-EU citizens planning to work whilst on Camino, i.e., working whilst in Spain or Portugal, should also determine in advance whether or not working in Spain / Portugal is permitted by whatever visa or visa-waiver was issued to the to-be-working person. Some visas and visa-waiver rules are very specific about the scope of permitted and prohibited activities, and draw clear distinctions between visit-purpose categories (e.g. tourism VS employment VS academic studies VS medical treatment VS attending a conference, etc.).

Is the work that is performed remotely via an on-line connection, a form of employment? Probably yes. Where is it performed from a legal / national / visa / income tax / customs duty point of view? At the home end, at the remote end, or both?

If the on-line work performed whilst in Spain or Portugal generates income, that might trigger Spanish / Portuguese income tax.

These are administrative matters to be evaluated.

Since you asked; personally a horrible idea - I had trouble with cell coverage; let alone WIFI… and in my opinion it would be extremely difficult trying to work from an albergue. And carrying a laptop in the heat???
Two weeks: SJDP to Burgos (plenty of time) and it’s a spectacular scenic route - you can always go back if you love it and do more/ other routes. Also it will allow you to investigate WIFI connections etc

Hi, a lot of good points above and I'm sure you will have thought through the "balance" issues. Clearly you are set on the CF rather than a shorter route. Answering your questions, it should not prove any problems being connected, just don't rely on wifi in accommodation. Get a Spanish SIM card. I get the sense you are able to structure your day so again if you have flexibility with accommodation on your "working days" you can moderate where you are for zooms and adjust your distances and pick it up on the (4?) off days. Compared to the overloading I've witnessed I would suggest your laptop will not add much weight. Everyone walks their own camino. Many are busying editing blogs/videos/diaries etc etc so a few hours spent in the afternoons with an understanding colleagues should be easily manageable for an organised person. I would suggest 3-11 may be a push maybe see if you could get away with say 4-5 hours which will dovetail in to finishing walking and pre dinner just watch for daylight saving changes. As above just work out want you want from the experience and crack on. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I pretty much agree with Blister Bill, with some caveats. First, the Camino is a pilgrimage, not a tourist hike, although many of us act like it is at times, including me. (It's a beautiful, fascinating country.) There is religiosity and/or spirituality for all faiths or even those of no faith. You need to spend a little time in the soaring cathedrals and the tiny ermitas to appreciate the history of Christianity in Spain. Or Islamic history in southern Spain. For me, a long lapsed Catholic, the spirituality of the Camino is meeting and sharing with fellow pilgrims from all over the world. It does give me hope for our planet's and our specie's future. I suggest if you have no time on your Camino for structures and vistas at least budget time to be with your fellow pilgrims. I have seen this done. On the del Norte I walked for a couple of weeks with a married couple. He was an immigration attorney from Miami. Young and tough, he carried his laptop and worked a couple of hours each day with it. He also ran a couple of kilometers each day, swam in the ocean in the evenings and did pushups in the morning. Fluent in Spanish, he often stopped to talk to local people and was always very engaging with fellow pilgrims, including me. He gave me hope for the future of our country. I have walked several Caminos with my French son in law. On our last two, he carried his laptop and an extra battery so he could finish up writing his PhD thesis. Young and tough. On some mornings if we were in a private room he would stay behind and work a couple of hours. He would easily catch up later with my wife and me. Or, he would walk ahead, stop and use his phone hotspot, and work for an hour before we caught up.
Both of these young men were able to work while walking the Camino and maintain what I thought was a good work/life balance. I did not see any zoom meetings. Just quiet work at a computer. Not bothering anyone else. But engaging with everyone else. And their surroundings. Just one last comment. In an albergue dormitory it's lights out at 10 pm for good reason. Please close the computer and hit the rack before that. Buen Camino

Thoughts?
Do not bother asking anyone. Just do it and make it work for you. You are a manager so you are fully capable of making this happen. Chuck

Why does this feel like the dumbest idea I've ever heard? Because it is. The camino is not sitting on the beach. The camino is 30 days of 26km distances everyday. We don't walk the camino to work. We walk it for the spiritual connection we get, which, in deed, we don't know we have, until some potent but subtle change manifests itself to us. At the end of a 26km walk, we drop our pack, take a shower, work on our feet, and watch our newly minted international friends roll in to the albergue. This is a time for camaraderie and eating... we eat early dinner and then we eat late dinner, then we sleep and get up at 5, take a dump and start walking again. The last thing you want is to carry anything that isn't absolutely necessary. That 3 pound laptop becomes 20 pounds after ten miles. Seriously, if you are thinking about working while you are on your camino, then you are not spiritually ready for your camino and it will be a disaster in every which way it can be. You will lose your laptop. You will lose your job. You will lose your mind... and then you will be ready for your camino... to heal.
A bit harsh maybe, but basically I agree.
Even if one is not religious, everybody on the Camino is looking for something - some change, some new direction.
You need to be ready for your personal way.
You need to be able to let loose of your everyday worries.
You need to be able to open up on new experiences, friends, thoughts.
You need to focus on your bare necessities, to reduce stuff.
Day to day your body and mind will tell you something about your capacities.
You will sweat and swear about your ailments.
You will marvel about the beauty of the landscape while you literally face the weather and seasons.
Don't let this get clogged by job-related stuff.
Don't ruin the experience.
There's no such thing as an efficient Camino.

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Don't forget that as a manager, if you are working a 3 day week instead of your usual 5 days .... you always end up doing more than 60% of your work.

So I live in US & currently work remotely.
If you are working remotely already (as a lot of people started to do in covid times) then you already have a lot of your questions answered. Then comes the question are you planning to be a "digital nomad" and what does that expression really mean?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
In my opinion working remotely online and walking the Camino is possible. The time zone difference and the usual early start enables you walk in peace (from work) and then catch up later at your accommodation when your colleagues come online in the Spanish afternoon.
Is it ideal? No.
Is it better than not walking the Camino at all? Yes

Thoughts
I have seen a number of people working remotely while walking the Camino - admittedly it was on the Via de La Plata and not on the Francés. But Yes it is possible. Wifi is usually but not always available and if you invest in a WiFi dongle then you can always be connected - or hotspot off your phone if needed.
If you can afford a private room on your work days you are more likely to have wifi and if it’s meetings then a private room is more appropriate. I would plan on some additional expenses to stay connected.
However- it sounds like you have a workable plan. I say go for it!!!

or hotspot off your phone if needed.
Better still is an additional phone as a dedicated hotspot for ALL your devices. I used that on Greek Islands for 2 "digital nomad" trips of 1 month each - phone was $230 and "travel sim" (purchased before I left) was $30 - I purchased a second sim as can't be topped up but didn't need it. And I think Spain has even better internet coverage and speeds than Greece.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thoughts?
I walked the Camino while I was a full-time worker and I just asked my company if they would mind if I took one month off for this spiritual journey and they agreed. And they paid me the entire time I was gone. Maybe just ask and see what they say.

I've worked remotely on the Camino before. It's hard, it detracts from the experience, but it's doable - and sure as hell better than not going at all.

Ask me anything, but some loose thoughts:

- You'll probably want some padding in accommodation budget, in case you need to get a private room.
- Try to shift as much of your work to your phone as possible.
- If your laptop can be charged with USB-C, get the longest cable that you can find. Also, consider a powerbank that can charge your computer.
- For those meetings, strongly consider earbuds with good noise cancelling for the MICROPHONE. (Not for the sounds that YOU hear, but for the sounds that THEY hear.) These are really good, I can talk over a running faucet with them: https://us.nothing.tech/products/ear

Thoughts?
People have walked the Camino working remotely. I've seen vloggers who did this. I don't think it is unrealistic to think it can be done. It will be more work, and something of a pain. It is certainly not ideal and, given a choice, I would advise avoiding it as much as possible. But if it were a choice between a Camino while working remotely or no Camino at3 all, I would always choose the former.

Thoughts?

I am currently on my 4th camino and I work everyday. Granted, it is only an hour or so but when I book an alberque I make sure it has wifi. They've always been strong enough for my work and one site I use is so secure it requires a strong wifi signal. One time I made a mistake booking a place on the Norte and it had no wifi. I just used my phone as a Hotspot and it worked fine. I use T-mobile.

I agree with all but one of the other objections but here’s something else to think about:
It’s illegal. The employer maybe elsewhere, but you’d be in Spain working. I personally thought a decision from the Spanish Supreme Court allowed it on the grounds that the employer isn’t in Spain, but a Spanish lawyer told me otherwise. And many people have been denied visas for saying that’s how they would support themselves in Spain. The chance of getting caught is small, unless a pilgrim aware of the legalities gets offended and reports you.

But you might look into Spain’s recently created “digital nomad visa.” If you come in on the visa-exempt Schengen rule, there will probably be no questions on arrival. But if asked, don’t say you plan to work remotely or they will watch you get on the next plane back to USA.

I am currently on my 4th camino and I work everyday. Granted, it is only an hour or so but when I book an alberque I make sure it has wifi. They've always been strong enough for my work and one site I use is so secure it requires a strong wifi signal. One time I made a mistake booking a place on the Norte and it had no wifi. I just used my phone as a Hotspot and it worked fine. I use T-mobile.

I agree with all but one of the other objections but here’s something else to think about:
It’s illegal. The employer maybe elsewhere, but you’d be in Spain working. I personally thought a decision from the Spanish Supreme Court allowed it on the grounds that the employer isn’t in Spain, but a Spanish lawyer told me otherwise. And many people have been denied visas for saying that’s how they would support themselves in Spain. The chance of getting caught is small, unless a pilgrim aware of the legalities gets offended and reports you.

But you might look into Spain’s recently created “digital nomad visa.” If you come in on the visa-exempt Schengen rule, there will probably be no questions on arrival. But if asked, don’t say you plan to work remotely or they will watch you get on the next plane back to USA.

The point is now moot, since @Unweekends has decided to walk a shorter Camino without working:
In previous threads by me I was going to attempt the whole Camino, but decided it's not gonna work for me to get that much time away from work.

I decided I do, however, want to do a 100KM route so that I can at least get a taste of the Camino & also earn my certificate.

Thoughts?
I very nearly walked this fall while enrolled in college full time. I'm honestly super bummed to have dropped my classes, but I was afraid of getting my laptop wet and also the extra weight of carrying a laptop plus four notebooks and a Kindle for all my reading books.

As far as connectivity, you could consider Google Fi as a phone plan. Then you would have cell service even without Wi-Fi and you could tether to your laptop. I did that on a five week trip to Australia last year and it worked just fine.

I spent two months working remotely on the Camino and, for the most part, had no problems. I shipped my laptop ahead of me each day in a nondescript-looking backpack with the rest of my gear. If I had an important Zoom meeting, I would stay at a hotel or in a private room at an albergue. There are some areas where it's hard to find reliable internet, but you could carry your own. I thought about investing in Elon Musk's satellite internet. I might do that next time

This is absolutely incorrect. You only need a Visa if you are staying more than 90 days. There's nothing illegal about working on your laptop while you hike. That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I've worked on my laptop in 40 countries on 6 continents.

While I agree with most of these posts that is ideal to disconnect, it is entirely possible to work remotely while walking, especially on the Frances. I would recommend booking private rooms for your work days ( so you can take calls in peace and not disturb other pilgrims), consider shorter walking days on the days you will work, and be flexible to spend time with your Camino family on the days you aren’t working. After completing (most) of the Frances this summer, the only way I see taking that chunk of time again is if I’m working remotely…IMO, definitely worth doing while working than not doing at all. 💕
Exactly what I did. I walked shorter days. It took me two months, rather than one, because I was out the door early, then stopped right after lunch to work. I usually had my evenings free.

Really? According to travel.state.gov, “Spain is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that US citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourism or business without a visa.“

As I understand it the digital nomad visa is specifically for those who intend to live and work long term in Spain.

Really? According to travel.state.gov, “Spain is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that US citizens may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourism or business without a visa.“

As I understand it the digital nomad visa is specifically for those who intend to live and work long term in Spain.
Correct. There is certainly no prohibition against someone working on their laptop while traveling through Spain for a few weeks.

I think the spirituality of the Camino experience will be impaired by the requirement to logon and work every afternoon. Remember it's a pilgrimage, not a hike.

But everybody is different.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Yes, I know a guy who walked with a guy who worked on a laptop at the albergues. Was, loud and held up communal suppers!!!! I would not be thrilled :(

€46,-
I understand that, and have attended many, but the hospitalero also sets a time for the meal and those who want to partake need to be there on time
There you have it. The usual conventions of the albergue altered for the one focussed on his/her business.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is absolutely incorrect. You only need a Visa if you are staying more than 90 days. There's nothing illegal about working on your laptop while you hike. That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I've worked on my laptop in 40 countries on 6 continents.
The rules for us visa-exempt folks are the same. Unless you are on a digital nomad visa or a vorking visa, working in Spain is illegal. And according to Roberto de la Canal, "working remotely" is still considered working there. No offense, but I think he knows what he is talking about. https://melcartabogados.com/sobrenosotros/
I've been in thirty countries, but I'm retired, so I don't have personal experience in the working issue. But I have spent a lot of time looking into Spanish matters, and how a country other than Spain views it is irrelevant to how Spain views it. I realize people do it and don't get caught, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I could be wrong. But so could the US State department. However, going to Spain to meet someone you do business with might be different. Might not. Three choices: 1. Do it, and probably no one will know. 2. Don't do it. 3. Look it up or ask a lawyer.

Even if I were convinced it's completely legal, I'd still advise against announcing your intent to do so. Often in Spain, the "law" is what the official you're talking to wishes it to be or thinks it is. For months, I believed what "everybody knows"—that you can't rent a piso or open a bank account without a NIE. Until I read the actual law and did both. The Houston consulate said the visa would take two to four months, even though published Spanish law requires them to take less than ninety days. Took me two months to get my NIE after I showed them the law that says they are required to process it in five days or fewer.

Last edited:
I agree: One can read a lot of silly things about actual EU law and actual national law in the various Schengen countries.

I understand that the OP has decided not to work while on Camino.

However, in the interest of others who are toying with this idea: We are talking about somebody on a short-term temporary stay; who is not employed in Spain; who is not even posted by his or her employer to Spain; who does not provide services to anyone in Spain; does not sell goods to anyone in Spain; whose tax status is not changed by this temporary trip; whose social security status is not changed by this temporary trip; whose employment contract or status with his or her employer is not changed by this temporary trip; who is not planning to take up employment in Spain; who is not planning to establish their business as a self-employed person in Spain.

To cut a longer post short: Having read on a website that "it is illegal to work in Spain as a short-term visitor with Schengen visa waiver status" does not provide you with enough concrete information to make a meaningful and accurate pronouncement about that person's legal situation!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I agree: One can read a lot of silly things about actual EU law and actual national law in the various Schengen countries.
Too true. But I don’t think the Spanish lawyer I communicated with is a source of "a lot of silly things.” Nor any of the actual Spanish laws I personally read on BOE. But also, as I said, a court decision I read seemed to me to say it was OK until the lawyer (and the reports of denials from travelers) said it was not.

Most read last week in this forum

In early October, I plan to do the route from Sant Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles, leaving SJPP in the afternoon, around 2:30 p.m. I walk frequently and quickly, averaging 6 km/h. I would like...
So, I’m beginning my fifth week on the Camino. It certainly has been a journey filled with surprises. The novelty and excitement have worn off. But after a rest day in León, I’ve recovered enough...
Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back