Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via De La Plata in March 2025

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Camino Frances
2023 Camino Finisterre
I am looking at starting the VDLP the 1st week of March 2025. My plan is to start in Sevilla and walk to Astorga then back track and pick up the Sanabres to Santiago. I've got my gear weight down to 13 lbs including my backpack weight and a new pair of boots to break in. Any thoughts/recommendations about starting around 1 March? And how about a recommendation on a Abergue that really made you feel at home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Date sounds about right, perhaps a bit early, depending on the weather that year, which you will discover as you walk.

14 or 15 lbs would be ok if 13 lbs has too much functional compromise.

My choice would be to go via the Sanabres without going to Astorga. I prefer a Camino with continuity where reasonable.

Pack weight sounds good. Mine was 15 lbs. (plus food at water)

I did meet one guy (Paul - you know who you are) that had a pack that was probably 5-6 lbs!
Couldn't keep up with him! He was fast.........

But remember you'll be carrying a lot of water on some stages. Often all your water for the day. I carried 2 litres most days, 1.5 some, 3 others. Depending on distance, heat and what was along the way. Unless passing through a 'larger' village or town, assume no water or food available along the way. I always checked ahead 2 days on google maps looking for shops, cafes etc and checking opening times. (which are sometimes wrong)

To show how different we all are, Paul probably carried 1 litre for the day! But he would arrive 2 hours ahead of me.

I started 25 March last year and it was perfect re weather. Just check the dates of Semana Santa. Accommodation gets heavily booked.

My approach was different. (most go West on the Sanabres)

I went North to Astorga which was a really great section, then West on the Frances to Ponferrada, then on the Invierno to Santiago. It was great.

I'm keeping the Sanabres for another time.

Stand out Albergues were:

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am looking at starting the VDLP the 1st week of March 2025. My plan is to start in Sevilla and walk to Astorga then back track and pick up the Sanabres to Santiago. I've got my gear weight down to 13 lbs including my backpack weight and a new pair of boots to break in. Any thoughts/recommendations about starting around 1 March? And how about a recommendation on a Abergue that really made you feel at home.

Do you really need boots?
I used Trail Runners.
The walking surfaces are great!
(at least Sevilla to Astorga)

Hi, I'm planning via de la Plata + Sanabres in March next year, but will likely start 2nd week March. We may see each other! Normally my pack is 7.5 kg not including food or water (or boots).

I walked it this year Feb to March. It was cold at night. However heating is available in the dorms.

There are a few stays where a meal is provided and usually very good. But some small towns have limited provisions and shops may be closed. Sundays are busy and restaurants booked. Monday can be closed, but you might find a churrerio open.

However the albergues have limited kitchen usage. The most likely thing being a microwave. At some point you may have to carry food.

The trail can be walked in a good shoe. I didn't carry or use much water en-route as I found cafes I could divert to.

Salamanca municipal hostel seemed the most pleasant, mainly because the host got involved with you, was helpful and was a welcome presence.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I did the VdlP from Seville on March 1 this year all the way to Salamanca, and after the storm Nelson I rejoined from Ourense to SdC; weather was pleasant, cold in the 40s to 50s early in the morning, getting to 60s or 70s during the day which is great as you don't need to carry that much water (I was ok with 1.5 to 2 lt); I had lots of days of rain, specially in Galicia, but bearable (except the storm that made lots of pilgrims to stop because of the unexpected snow); most of the Albergues were open, some remarkable, some forgetable, and in some days I'd have to take a pension or private hotel either because of need to rest or need to stop because of the rain. About shoes, I took regular goretech hokas, didn't go with boots because of concern of their weight and cos I don't have issues with my ankles. Some memorable albergues: La Posada de Escardiel (Castilblanco) very small one, the couple running it made me feel really at home; Albergue Extrenatura (Villafranca) was quite good, but not as good as the reviews said it would; Hostel Cañaveral (Cañaveral) it was great, maybe because it was at the end of one of the longest walking distance; Albergue Peregrinos Puerto de Bejar (Puerto de Bejar) really great and plenty of espiritu peregrino; Albergue Parroquian Santa Maria (Fuenterroble) founded by Fr. Blas, he was not there but his volunteers make the day!; finally, close to Santiago, Albergue Reina Lupa (Deseiro) also great.
About the number of pilgrims, I expected to be mostly by myself, but certainly there were a more-than-expected number of pilgrims, (in Merida the Albergue was full with around 15 people).
You will definitely enjoy it!! Buen Camino!

Do you really need boots?
I used Trail Runners.
The walking surfaces are great!
(at least Sevilla to Astorga)

I agree with this. I wore trail runners on this route in March/April 2022 and on a mountainous Camino (Norte/Vadiniense/Salvador/Primitivo) in 2023. Absolutely no problem with my New Balance choice.

I walked the Via from March 4 to April 12 in 2022. Your pack weight seems right and Robo's comment on water is spot on. It is a warm to hot start and a cool to cold finish on the Sanabres. No real issues with rain, though overcast a lot, until you get to Galacia. I imagine this is different from year to year. Not the rain in Galicia. If it's dry in Galicia, buy lottery tickets (it's a miracle). Not a lot of people but a really good combo of solitude and fraternity. The donativo in Tabara is great and the Xunta albergues in Galacia on the Sanabres are fantastic.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My close friend (we met on the CF in 2022 and both walked the CP in’23) and I are planning a VDLP Camino beginning mid-March 2025. We’re just starting our stage planning, so all of these Albergue recommendations are very helpful. In both of our previous Caminos, we used Gronze and Ninja for guidance, and Albergues. Now that Ninja is no longer available, any recommendations of a route guidance app that might replace it?

Hi, I'm planning via de la Plata + Sanabres in March next year, but will likely start 2nd week March. We may see each other! Normally my pack is 7.5 kg not including food or water (or boots).
I am planning to start March 7th from Algeciras to Cadiz and then the VDLP from Sevilla. Sanabres definitely.

Pack weight sounds good. Mine was 15 lbs. (plus food at water)

I did meet one guy (Paul - you know who you are) that had a pack that was probably 5-6 lbs!

But remember you'll be carrying a lot of water on some stages. Often all your water for the day. I carried 2 litres most days, 1.5 some, 3 others. Depending on distance, heat and what was along the way. Unless passing through a 'larger' village or town, assume no water or food available along the way. I always checked ahead 2 days on google maps looking for shops, cafes etc and checking opening times. (which are sometimes wrong)

To show how different we all are, Paul probably carried 1 litre for the day! But he would arrive 2 hours ahead of me.

I started 25 March last year and it was perfect re weather. Just check the dates of Semana Santa. Accommodation gets heavily booked.

My approach was different. (most go West on the Sanabres)

I went North to Astorga which was a really great section, then West on the Frances to Ponferrada, then on the Invierno to Santiago. It was great.

I'm keeping the Sanabres for another time.

Stand out Albergues were:

Paul? The Swiss guy has a great outline of his VDLP stages with incredible layout including weather, kms and all. Look it up as it’s on the forum.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I’m starting my VDLP mid June. Carrying similar weight due to the extra water required as there are longer stretches with limited refreshments to top up.
As for Albergues I’ve been through the route extensively and it’s not about which Albergue but which town or village as there are limited albergues to choose from. A lot depends on how many kms you’re able to cover per day will determine what albergue you’ll stay in as some places only have one but don’t worry about spaces, the limited number of pilgrims never fill them. It’s a bonus if you’re starting out at the same time as another pilgrims as you’ll find averaging 25-30kms a day will keep you in touch with each other at different points. It’s a long journey and I’m going through sanabres to Santiago, going to astorga first then back tracking is certainly going to add about seven days to your journey not including the extra kms you’re going to have to add to your journey, but I wish you well and good luck.
Most of the albergues are pretty well reported on so there’s no hovels to worry about. Buen Camino Keith

Bob sorry it wasn't 5-6 lbs in Switzerland 🇨🇭we use metric system it was 5.5kg.
Going fast, thats through, with my light backpack. From Casar de Cáceres over Cañaveral (Restaurant) to Grimaldo 42km 6 hours 40 minutes.

I like to do the laundry at the end of the stages and have an early beer.
Paul? The Swiss guy has a great outline of his VDLP stages with incredible layout including weather, kms and all. Look it up as it’s on the forum.
Thanks I guess we Bob and I have been lucky with the dry and cool weather.

There are stages without a possibility for refilling water on the way. Depending the temperature you may have to increase the amount of water you take normaly with you. On other stages there are possibilities (Shops, Restaurants, Gas-Stations) where you may refill your bottles and have something to drink while you rest. See all my informations on my Blog. (GERMAN, but easily readable with translations from Google)

Most read last week in this forum

I hadn't realised there are thermal baths in Ourense. Looks like a few different ones. Are they worth a visit? Also, do you need to bring your own swimsuit? I carted swimming trunks all the way...
Hello Pilgrims! Getting ready to walk the Via de la Plata starting early November — doing the whole thing from Sevilla and then turning onto the Sanabres to get to Santiago sometime in the second...
Having had the wonderful guidance from Nely on the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria, last year, I was wondering is there a similar Camino Angel in Seville for the Via de la Pláta?
I am looking at starting the VDLP the 1st week of March 2025. My plan is to start in Sevilla and walk to Astorga then back track and pick up the Sanabres to Santiago. I've got my gear weight down...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back