• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vezelay route as a family

chez

Hi there, this is my first forum post. Pre-children, my husband and I spent quite a bit of time knocking around France, camping and walking. Since then, I have wanted to walk the Camino from Vezelay - we visited years ago and I was very drawn to both the abbey and the area. We now have two children, currently age five and six. The younger has an undiagnosed but almost certainly life limiting neuromuscular condition. It appears that parents in our situation develop a Plan A and a Plan B - Plan A is what you do if your child dies before you and Plan B is what happens to them if they outlive you.

My Plan A has always included the Camino, but for various reasons I am now wondering whether it would be possible to walk the Vezelay route as a family. I need something to focus on and my plan is to research the route we would take as a family of three in the future, with a sort of side-order of working out whether it would be possible to do it as a family of four in the next couple of years. This would involve a powered wheelchair and various medical equipment and therefore poses all sorts of interesting issues. I understand from friends that there are currently some wheelchair users en route, so I know it's not impossible; but it may be more a mental exercise than practical for us, depending on how our daughter's condition progresses.

I anticipate lurking a lot, but it seemed polite to say hello.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All things are possible! Many of the support accommodations are in the homes of volunteers, which may not be able to accept groups of four. That could make for some long stages. However, with some planning you probably can find places to stay everywhere. Unfortunately, the best guide for the route is no longer being published. There are several on-line sites to help with the planning.

Bon chemin!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.