• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Verizon’s International Plan Debacle

peregrina2000

Staff member
I hope I don’t sound like one of those agitated new forum members who just gets on the forum to vent about an awful experience and then goes away and never comes back. I am agitated and I do want to vent, though!

When I go to the Camino, I always get a Spanish sim card and have never had a problem. Great price, tons of data, great phone service.

For three different international non-camino trips now, I have paid for Verizon’s $100/billing cycle International Plan.

Two of the trips were last year. My husband came with me and it just seemed like the easiest way to keep in touch with him when we were in different places. And since there were two phones with this plan, the cost was $200/billing cycle. The plans failed spectacularly, and both times Verizon refunded my payments. (They can see every time you dial, so they can corroborate whether the plan was working or not).

I have just returned from a trip to Portugal. My husband stayed home, and though I was extremely reluctant to go with Verizon again, the customer service rep on the phone was so confident and supportive that I thought it would be the easiest way for me to have phone service in Portugal, both for calls to Portugal and calls to the US. And the easiest way for my husband to be in touch with me. And the easiest way to use data when I wasn’t on wireless.

The plan supposedly comes with 20GB of high speed data, lots of minutes, everything I would need.

NOTHING worked.

Calling the US — I was able to make one call to the US. Every other time, the call either didn’t connect or I got a recording in Portuguese telling me that my plan didn’t allow this call.

Calling Portugal — I was also able to make one call within Portugal. This was to reserve a room in a place in Santarém, where I was walking. I had to call to confirm before noon on the day of my pre-paid reservation because they wanted to know when to come open up for me. I was never able to contact them, despite calling at least 30 times. So I lost my $$ and had to find somewhere else to stay when I got there.

Data - I was occasionally able to use data to get an Uber, but many times had to go into hotels in random places and ask to use their wifi. And even when my phone showed I had LTE service, I could never connect to the Internet with that service. And frequently the phone showed E service. This happened regularly not only in small places out of town but also in Lisbon. I had data turned off whenever I wasn’t using it just to be sure I wouldn’t go through my GB allotment. But I was never once able to connect to the internet on data while I was there.

I know some forum members have used this plan, and I hope their experience has been better than this, but I have to say there is no way that I would ever consider using this Verizon plan again. In fact, I am so peeved I’m going to start investigating switching carriers completely!

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times, I am an idiot!

Well, I hope this post serves two purposes — one, a way for me to vent; and two, a way for other forum members to avoid this issue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We use AT&T- same price $100 per billing cycle. Never have had a problem with the service. I am investigating T-Mobile because they have better coverage locally, but I am not sure about international yet.

We use AT&T- same price $100 per billing cycle. Never have had a problem with the service. I am investigating T-Mobile because they have better coverage locally, but I am not sure about international yet.
I know that there are many people who have no problem with this plan, otherwise it would not be in existence.

I think it’s kind of like the decision about whether to carry your pack on the plane — there may be a very low risk, but if it happens, the consequences are pretty bad. So I’m really just throwing this out there so that there’s more information about possible downsides. Maybe very unlikely but it did happen!

For me, it just reinforces my commitment to a Vodafone sim.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am investigating T-Mobile because they have better coverage locally, but I am not sure about international yet.
I've been using T-mobile for years, and it works wonderfully while I'm abroad - at a much lower price than Verizon or AT&T. In fact, unless I buy a high speed data package with them I pay no extra fees for unlimited data and texting to/from US numbers.

My current plan (Magenta 55+) also gives me 5GB international data per billing cycle while I'm traveling.

1000036610.webp

The last couple of years I bought a 30 day international plan because I got hooked on the high speed data, but in the past I had no problems using navigation and other apps when I had slower data speeds.

1000036613.webp

I've been using T-mobile for years, and it works wonderfully while I'm abroad - at a much lower price than Verizon or AT&T. In fact, unless I buy a high speed data package with them I pay no extra fees for unlimited data and texting to/from US numbers.

My current plan (Magenta 55+) also gives me 5GB international data per billing cycle while I'm traveling.

View attachment 178922

The last couple of years I bought a 30 day international plan because I got hooked on the high speed data, but in the past I had no problems using navigation and other apps when I had slower data speeds.

View attachment 178924
I'd like to try the TMobile Magenta plan. The problem is that the price is per line for two lines, and my husband refuses to pay monthly for his phone after having to be attached to a cell phone for years for his work. He carries a Trac Phone that he only turns on when absolutely necessary ie- when we are in a large box store and I can't find him. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd like to try the TMobile Magenta plan. The problem is that the price is per line for two lines, and my husband refuses to pay monthly for his phone after having to be attached to a cell phone for years for his work. He carries a Trac Phone that he only turns on when absolutely necessary ie- when we are in a large box store and I can't find him. Thanks for the suggestion.
Can't you just have a single line on the Magenta plan? And if the cost of two lines is the same or less than you are paying with AT&T what's his argument?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Can't you just have a single line on the Magenta plan? And if the cost of two lines is the same or less than you are paying with AT&T what's his argument?
He purchases the minimum number of prepaid minutes possible once a year and hardly ever even turns his phone on! One of my sons is on my AT &T plan, but he can't be on the Magenta 55 plan because he is only 29. So, I stick with AT&T as it is mostly reliable (except at my house where I have to use the WIFI).

I hope I don’t sound like one of those agitated new forum members who just gets on the forum to vent about an awful experience and then goes away and never comes back. I am agitated and I do want to vent, though!

When I go to the Camino, I always get a Spanish sim card and have never had a problem. Great price, tons of data, great phone service.

For three different international non-camino trips now, I have paid for Verizon’s $100/billing cycle International Plan.

Two of the trips were last year. My husband came with me and it just seemed like the easiest way to keep in touch with him when we were in different places. And since there were two phones with this plan, the cost was $200/billing cycle. The plans failed spectacularly, and both times Verizon refunded my payments. (They can see every time you dial, so they can corroborate whether the plan was working or not).

I have just returned from a trip to Portugal. My husband stayed home, and though I was extremely reluctant to go with Verizon again, the customer service rep on the phone was so confident and supportive that I thought it would be the easiest way for me to have phone service in Portugal, both for calls to Portugal and calls to the US. And the easiest way for my husband to be in touch with me. And the easiest way to use data when I wasn’t on wireless.

The plan supposedly comes with 20GB of high speed data, lots of minutes, everything I would need.

NOTHING worked.

Calling the US — I was able to make one call to the US. Every other time, the call either didn’t connect or I got a recording in Portuguese telling me that my plan didn’t allow this call.

Calling Portugal — I was also able to make one call within Portugal. This was to reserve a room in a place in Santarém, where I was walking. I had to call to confirm before noon on the day of my pre-paid reservation because they wanted to know when to come open up for me. I was never able to contact them, despite calling at least 30 times. So I lost my $$ and had to find somewhere else to stay when I got there.

Data - I was occasionally able to use data to get an Uber, but many times had to go into hotels in random places and ask to use their wifi. And even when my phone showed I had LTE service, I could never connect to the Internet with that service. And frequently the phone showed E service. This happened regularly not only in small places out of town but also in Lisbon. I had data turned off whenever I wasn’t using it just to be sure I wouldn’t go through my GB allotment. But I was never once able to connect to the internet on data while I was there.

I know some forum members have used this plan, and I hope their experience has been better than this, but I have to say there is no way that I would ever consider using this Verizon plan again. In fact, I am so peeved I’m going to start investigating switching carriers completely!

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times, I am an idiot!

Well, I hope this post serves two purposes — one, a way for me to vent; and two, a way for other forum members to avoid this issue.
It is possible that the configuration settings on your phone are causing some issues.

Settings related to the SIM or eSIM such as Roaming for data and Voice service. There sometimes also is a Roaming setting at the Telco end that needs to be turned on.

Also when you arrive in Portugal your phone will search for a Telco to connect to locally. Verizon doesn't operate a network in Portugal, they have an agreement with one or more local Telcos.

There is a somewhat technical setting that most people don't see that manages which local network your phone connects to. This setting has two or more choices.

One choice is to connect to the "best" local network when roaming. A second option is to connect to a particular local Telco network that you specify.

I know that you are undoubtedly sick of this but for others who encounter this problem it may be worth asking Verizon who their preferred partner is in Portugal and setting your phone to connect to this Telco network.

With the first and usually default choice "best" can mean different things. Sometimes the strongest signal and sometimes it can actually negotiate to connect to Verizon's partner even if it isn't the strongest signal at that geographic point.

That is why it is normally the default setting.

You often see this after you turn on your phone after landing and you get a flood of SMS text messages from local Telco networks offering to allow your phone to connect.

I hope that this helps someone.

One of my sons is on my AT &T plan, but he can't be on the Magenta 55 plan because he is only 29.
It looks like T-Mobile is offering different plans than the one that I have, but both users do not have to be over for the 55+ plans. Only the primary account holder needs to be over 55.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
It looks like T-Mobile is offering different plans than the one that I have, but both users do not have to be over for the 55+ plans. Only the primary account holder needs to be over 55.

Thank you, I did not realize that only the primary had to be over 55. :) 🥾 🍷

For me, it just reinforces my commitment to a Vodafone sim.
Hi Laurie
If the Vodafone sim has worked perfectly before - I’m confused as to why you’d bother looking at anything else?? The cost of the Vodafone sim (and what inclusions you receive for 15€ for 28days) is hard to beat .
I do realise tho that if you have a newer phone that doesn’t take a physical sim - this may not be possible ? But if you previously were using the Vodafone sim system and were able to contact home and operate successfully whilst in Europe ….. why change ?

Good of you to explain your experience to give others the opportunity to research better if it could happen to them. Grrrr 👿 I would have been cranky too having to find wifi 🛜 to communicate after having paid 200€ to Verizon

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all ... slow Sunday .. rambling idle thoughts .. Camino - is there anything you would want, or wanted, that doesn't seem to have been invented yet? Or you couldn't find one? I can think of ...
Hi, I’m considering getting the Hoka Anacapa Breeze Mid for my Camino which will start on 10/31 from Porto to Santiago. Does anyone have experience with this particular model on long walks ? I’m...
There is a lot of good package lists on the web. However, it seems that almost all are made for a Summer Camino with high temperatures and sunshine in mind. My question is. If I start by crossing...
I hope I don’t sound like one of those agitated new forum members who just gets on the forum to vent about an awful experience and then goes away and never comes back. I am agitated and I do want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back