• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Vegetarian Camino - a real sacrifice

Abigel

Time of past OR future Camino
October 13, 2024-October 20, 2024 (Camino Inglés)
When on day 4 I consumed about the 20th egg on the Camino Inglés (from Ferrol to Santiago with a stop in Neda), I made a promise to post some information about vegetarian options on the Camino Inglés.

In short: be prepared because they barely exist.

I stayed in hotels, so my experience does not include any food options at albergues, but vegetarian dishes at restaurants on the way were next to non-existent.

From day two, I started to research in advance, because it became apparent that getting nutrients and a nice meal would be a huge struggle - and it was. The dishes most available were the tortilla de Espana and French fries (patatas fritas). Now, try eating that for six days and walk 25-35 kilometers day after day - I promise you, you won't feel good.

I could have had a salad in Ferrol, but went to the O Pincho tapas place, where I got a spinach-egg dish (without the tuna). I also got bread. Be prepared, you will survive mostly on pure bread in the next days.

The hotel breakfast sorely missed fresh vegetables, but at least I got pieces of bread (you guessed) with butter and cheese and probably some scrambled eggs.

In hindsight, I wish I would have researched a lot more for that first night, as Ferrol was big compared to other towns that followed.

I was refused to be sit and serviced at a restaurant in Neda, so I walked further to a Döner place. They had a vegetarian option, so I had French fries (you guessed) and two burritos (or at least they resembled burritos).

For dinner, I really struggled. I stayed in Narón. All the options I preGoogled and were said to be open were closed. I found a burger place and had a vegan burger. Ah, those were the days.

Breakfast was at a café next door (arranged by the hotel). I got two toasts with the "usual" tomato spread and a tea. If you don't drink coffee, you'll be somewhat of a spectacle on the Camino, but being vegetarian already put me into the crazy category, so what did I care. No fresh vegetables, no fresh fruits, no second helpings.

Thankfully, it was Monday and the supermercados were open again, so I could buy a banana on my way. I stopped at a café for a second breakfast and got...a piece of tortilla. Lucky me! I had lunch at Pontedeume (racing against the clock to reach it) in Restaurant Luis. I had a full tortilla de Espana (consisting of about 8-10 eggs)...and that was it.

At this point I was desperate. Having walked about 18 kilometers and getting only the tortilla for lunch really made me wonder how on earth I will continue walking when I simply cannot eat properly. I googled and found a restaurant that offered grilled vegetables for dinner! Hallelujah.

I walked there for their opening time, they were open and had the grilled vegetables. The meal itself looked like a joke, a leaf of salad and a few grilled vegetables, so I also had (you guessed it) French fries, eat the bread that was offered as an appetizer and couldn't wait to get back to the hotel room.

I bought a yoghurt, a zucchini (courgette), a tomato, some more banana etc. However, it was also close to 10 PM when I got back, so I could eat a lot less than I wished. (Restaurants open at around 8 - 8:30 PM, making it impossible to get back to your room before 10 PM.)

The next morning, I had - at this point, you probably know - bread with the usual tomato sauce and cheese (nicely arranged with jamón personally for me despite being indicated as a vegetarian). But, luck shone on me here, because I got second helpings of the bread! What a nice upgrade from yesterday's breakfast. I also grabbed an additional banana and some cake, which ordinarily I never ever eat.

However, at this point, I was effectively starving.

As you can imagine, I researched even more and found that I could have some vegan meals at Pizza Mino. I got there early, the kitchen only opened at 1 PM, but I gladly waited 40 minutes for my order to be taken. I had the (mid-sized) vegan pizza (I'm also lactose intolerant, but not vegan) and ate it all with the exception of one slice. In hindsight, I should have eaten it all, but little did I know, how the trip will continue.

At Betanzos, I found 3 places that were supposedly opened and had vegetarian dishes. The first two places were not even open. (Google said that there are a lot less people there than usual...yeah, because the place was not even open in the first place.)

I finally ended up at another burger place instead of a restaurant that was not where Google told me it was supposed to be. Had a complete vegan burger. I thought it would come with French fries, but no, it only meant more toppings (cheese and a leaf of salad and a slice of tomato).

Had a brief follow-up meal of zucchini, tomato, orange in my room, but again, it was late.

Breakfast was wonderful compared to previous days, but I also stayed at a really good hotel. There was fresh fruit, and of course bread with butter and cheese and some eggs involved.

The next day I had a piece of tortilla (again) at noon at a bar. At this point I felt nauseous even when seeing the word huevos (eggs in Spanish). I decided to skip tortilla unless there was no other option. For lunch, I had a cheese sandwich at Meson-Museó. This means two huge pieces of bread stuck together with some processed, presliced cheese. A piece of jamón got stuck at one piece of bread...

At the hotel in the evening (again, indicated upon booking that I was a fully-fledged vegetarian, no jamón, no carne, no atún), I was offered a big salad as a first meal and French fries with two eggs sunny-sides up and a fruit salad as dessert. At first I thought I would only get the big salad and asked an English and Spanish speaking kind girl to talk to the waiter, but it turned out that there was a second dish. The waiter was the only person, who really tried to offer me fresh vegetables and fruits to the extent he had any during the entire trip. I was grateful! The salad itself was cold and not that big, but compared to what I had had until then on the Camino, it was the best salad on the road!

Breakfast was less nice, bread with butter and cheese and some cake, no fresh vegetables and only fruits that you wouldn't carry on the Inglés.

From Bruma to Sigüeiro, we stopped at a bar for lunch. I had two sandwiches (fake ham and cheese) and had a pre-heated pasta and soup for dinner at the lodgings. At that point they felt like heaven.

Breakfast was toasted bread (multiple helpings), cheese, tomato sauce, some cake and butter.

I tried not to feel the lack of vitamins, protein and all other nutrients my body was screaming for.

I had a cheese sandwich (bread and cheese only, again) for lunch and finally, finally arrived at Santiago!

The vegan restaurant (The Green House) that was supposed to be open until 4 PM was closed at 3:20, so I simply went to my hotel and napped. At that point, it did not matter anymore if I got a proper late lunch or not. I did not miss one meal, I missed a week's worth of proper meals!

I went back for their opening time at dinner and had a normal, proper vegetarian dinner: rice (which does not seem to exist in Galicia) with an Indian "curry" and it was wonderful!

I ate at another vegan place (A Porta Verde) the next day for lunch and dinner and finally started to feel like myself again.

Asking people to survive on bread, (bad) cheese, French fries and eggs is not okay. I understand we are talking about small towns. I do not regret completing this Camino, but when you read elsewhere that "you'll survive", please know that it means just that: you will survive, you won't die, but it will be among the most difficult weeks of your life eating wise.

Especially considering that I ended up walking 30 kilometers per day on average as the official mileage hugely differs from the miles you actually walk.

Official mileage: 16-13-20-24-24-16 (in kilometers). In total: 113 km.

Kilometers I walked: 25-21-34-34-33-33. In total: 180!
Yes, my trips to the restaurants and the supermarkets are included in that, but be assured, they did not total 67 kilometers...

This is a pilgrimage, sacrifice is included by definition. If you are a vegetarian, I hope my post helps to shed some light on just how big and significant your sacrifice will be... It was worth it, but I have very serious second thoughts about going back to Spain even ever again.

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I'm sure your post will be of great interest and help to other Vegetarians.
"Asking people to survive on bread, (bad) cheese, French fries and eggs is not okay"
Indeed, that must have been a challenge for you.
I shall watch this thread to see what unfolds.......

Last edited:
I eat vegetarian + seafood and I ate pretty well on the Ingles. Some highlights:
  • green salad with a scoop of xeado de tomate (tomato ice cream!) for lunch in Ferrol (current menu: https://casalexo.gal/wp-content/uploads/2024/10/CARTA-OUTUBRO-2024.pdf )
  • a beautiful peach from a fruiteria just before the bridge into Pontedeume
  • tortilla de Betanzos and a beautiful ensalada de queso de rulo de cabra in Betanzos
  • several supermarket picnics with fresh bread, grape tomatoes, arugula, balsamic syrup, olive oil, salt and pepper, or manchego and membrillo (quince jam)
  • a vegan empanada from a supermarket in Betanzos that was filled with eggplant, peppers, zucchini and mushroom (this turned into 3 meals).
  • chocolate con churros
  • a superb meal at A Corre Vexeta in Santiago which included guacamole and vegan tortilla
I agree that vegan + eggs would be challenging in Spain and that it's best to go prepared to feed yourself, especially between larger towns. I bought small bottles of balsamic syrup and olive oil to carry with me for picnics and for making salads. I had success finding restaurants by searching on google maps for the names of dishes ("tortilla", "ensalada de queso de cabra", "pimientos de Padron"). I wouldn't go without some emergency rations. I prepared food for myself a few nights, including Sunday night in Ferrol when most restaurants were closed and in Bruma where there was only one restaurant. I brought a microwave-safe tupperware dish that I could use to make packet rice and pasta (as well as to transport supermarket picnic ingredients).

There are some vegan ready-meals from Carretilla which are reasonably tasty:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Asking people to survive on bread, (bad) cheese, French fries and eggs is not okay.
I don’t mean to sound snarky here, but no one asked you to do this. You chose to eat in restaurants in a culture where veganism is still not mainstream. Grocery stores sell all of the things you were craving. Many regular forum members who are vegan walk caminos frequently (@LTfit, @Wendy Werneth, and @Magwood spring most quickly to mind). I am not challenging your assertion that you had a hard time with getting good nutrition on the Inglés, but I don’t think it’s fair to cast the blame on the establishments that make a living by serving food in a place where very few customers would ask for vegan options.

For a more positive view, see this website, by our own Wendy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Abigel did it never occur to you to ask for some food that might have met your breakfast requirements? I’ve never, ever, in 50 odd years of meandering Spain encountered anywhere that couldn’t or wouldn’t scramble me some eggs or wrestle up some lentil or bean dish and a lump of bread.

Yes, modern Spanish cooking in restaurants is meat or fish based. Of course it is, the people that live in those places go to restaurants for a treat, or they go there for the menu del Dia and the one proper, nourishing, meal they’ll get all day. The menu includes some protein some carbs and, variably, some fresh vegetables and fruits.

I’ve read your post three times now and I can’t get around what it is you’re complaining about. You’re obviously complaining but it seems you walked the Camino, you ate every day and you got to Santiago with enough energy left to do some typing.

If you ever thought that Camino was supposed to be fun…. 🤪

Ok, you are a vegetarian. I got that. It's a good thing you eat bread, or you probably would have been hungry more of the time. Ok, it was the Ingles, a bit light on supermarkets. Even so, there are places where you can buy food, either ready to eat or needs a quick turn in a microwave. I think if you walk another Camino you will find the same problems as it will still be a country where most people eat meat, so you are just going to have to accept doing your own cooking. If that's to hard, sorry. I don't think it would be easier in France, and I doubt if it would come as a surprise to many. Actually, it sounds as if it was lack of variety that got to you, rather than lack of protein. Maybe take a few things to add interest to rice and pasta, get some good cheese and ready made salad, especially lentil. Tomatoes on toast are a great breakfast imho.

Thanks to the two posters before me. I got tired actually, reading the OP. It reminds me of a thought I had visiting a friend in hospital. She has a problem with language now. A person was trying to get her to say what she would like for her next meal. A picture card with options would work. Just point to the rice!. So those with language limitations, or whatever limitations, stash a few flashcards in your backpack and whip them out when you meet local people. Onions, anyone? A picture will prompt the viewer to direct you to the mercado, such beautiful delights for the eye and the nose, or even the supermercado, or even the little hidden places where you can buy one egg.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My short answer to your long post is: stay in albergues! Most of them have a kitchen (and on Gronze.com you can see which have or have not) where you can prepare your own meal; problem solved.
And in most cases cooking together is a nice, communal experience: cooking with other pilgrims and eating together gives great opportunities for a good chat together.

In my many caminos as a vegetarian (I don't know how many kms, not counting, but probably approaching 4000), here is my experience:

be prepared because they barely exist.
This is more or less true, though I think 'barely' is an overstatement. Spain is not a vegetarian country, though it is much much easier now than 10 years ago.

Fortunately, there are so many ways around the eggs and bocadillos, starting with tiendas. If you don't like what's easy to get, just make your own. It's not hard at all.

Asking people to survive on bread, (bad) cheese, French fries and eggs is not okay.
Sure it is. No-one is on earth to cater to our food preferences. Being a vegetarian is being a minority in Spain, and restaurants are for-profit businesses. So entitlement is a waste of your time and energy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As a non-coffee drinking vegetarian, it seems I'm firmly in the 'crazy category' but in multiple visits to many parts of Spain + walking the CF from SJPdP to Finisterre I've never had a problem finding good food, especially fruit & vegetables either by variety or quantity. So, while I can clearly see that you've had such a negative experience, I'm abit confused as to why.

As I read the OP's post, my first thoughts were that she should be thankful that the Ingles is quite short and not a 4-6 week Camino Frances, especially since she didn't seem to be aware of doing some self catering for more variety. Many good suggestions have been offered should she decide to walk another Camino.

P.S. I enjoy eggs for breakfast at home, but on my recent Ingles, nearly every time I asked if I could get eggs and bacon, they invariably shook their head "no". The quick and easy croissants/pastries delivered in the mornings by a bakery were usually the only options available to go with my cafe con leche. I did find a a couple of exceptions and was happy when I could get an old fashion American breakfast.

Last edited:
@Abigel it's unfortunate that you had such a negative experience. True, restaurants do not have as wide a selection of vegetarian dishes as in some other countries. However I have to say that I met a vegetarian peregrina on the Inglés last year, and she didn't experience the same difficulties you did.
I'm sure it helped that she spoke some Spanish, because on the couple of occasions we ate together she simply asked the waiter for suggestions. Often they would advise that the chef could make this or the other dish without meat, and I'm not just talking about omelets. On one occasion I recall she had Arroz con huevo. (Rice with beans, delicious and nutritious).
I myself love meat but I also struggle with the lack of fresh vegetables in some dishes. I overcame this very easily by ordering multiple starters, it's common to find vegetarian options that way.
Grilled vegetables for example ( eggplant capsicum onions tomatoes). I appreciate that doesn't address the protein issue, however lentils and beans are a staple of the Spanish diet, the trick is simply to get them without meat.
It is very easy to get good cheese in the Tienda/ supermarkets.

I got Pisto in one place, basically ratatouille. (Apparently they occasionally put ham in it so you have to say sin jamon!).

And I'm not vegetarian, I'm sure a little research would find you many more options.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have to agree that eating in general on-the-camino is taxing and repetitive. I was reporting my travels to a dear friend who was considering walking the Camino but he eats kosher and is gluten free due to health issues. I can't imagine how a person would get by with those constraints .

I myself posted a few weeks ago asking about diabetics, in my personal journey on the Frances it was hard.

Like you advise do your homework

How can you tell that someone is a vegetarian or vegan? They will tell you within 30 seconds of meeting them!
But seriously, if you are one or the other, being fairly fluent in Spanish will be of great help to insure you are consuming only what fits your dietary plan.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is a pilgrimage, sacrifice is included by definition. If you are a vegetarian, I hope my post helps to shed some light on just how big and significant your sacrifice will be... It was worth it, but I have very serious second thoughts about going back to Spain even ever again.

What a shame your expectations of your six day pilgrimage were met with such profound disappointment..

The wrong distances, the wrong opening times, the wrong Google locations, but most disappointingly for you, the wrong food. Yes, eating options along established camino routes can be repetitive, but variety is there if we look for it. There are shops. A few words of spanish help, too. 'The camino provides' is a cliché, we open our eyes and hearts and provide for ourselves and for each other, and we're rewarded for our efforts. Many of us walk for days and weeks and months, and embrace it all, the good, the bad and the ugly.

20241022_115511.webp

And looking back, it's all good..

I hope for you, that in time you'll find something positive to reflect on, from your time in Spain..

Last edited:
As I read the OP's post, my first thoughts were that she should be thankful that the Ingles is quite short and not a 4-6 week Camino Frances, especially since she didn't seem to be aware of doing some self catering for more variety. Many good suggestions have been offered should she decide to walk another Camino.

P.S. I enjoy eggs for breakfast at home, but on my recent Ingles, nearly every time I asked if I could get eggs and bacon, they invariably shook their head "no". The quick and easy croissants/pastries delivered in the mornings by a bakery were usually the only options available to go with my cafe con leche. I did find a a couple of exceptions and was happy when I could get an old fashion American breakfast.

Chrissy, you should have a word with Robo 😉

He seems to have no trouble finding bacon & eggs 😄 😉

I admit that the whole post surprised me. But "bad cheese"??? That really surprised me. Cow's cheese, goat's cheese, sheep's cheese, cheese with mold, semi-hard, hard, matured, matured for 18 or more months,.... and on and on, something for every taste. In my experience, even the smallest stores have a large selection of cheeses. For a long time now, I have not been carrying bracelets and shells as gifts for friends and relatives, but cheese - as much as I can fit in my backpack (sometimes I sacrifice something). . No one mind getting it in a slightly "wrinkled" form.
You can imagine the "distress" I was in one year when there was a cheese fair in Astorga. By the way, they also have a cheese quality competition in Astorga once a year. https://www.astorgadigital.com/programa-completo-de-la-feria-del-queso-de-astorga-2024/
I have a good excuse for eating (a lot of) cheese on the Camino. Not only is it delicious, it's also a good source of protein, as well as salt, which is lost when you sweat while walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When on day 4 I consumed about the 20th egg on the Camino Inglés (from Ferrol to Santiago with a stop in Neda), I made a promise to post some information about vegetarian options on the Camino Inglés.

I stayed in hotels, so my experience does not include any food options at albergues, but vegetarian dishes at restaurants on the way were next to non-existent.

From day two, I started to research in advance, because it became apparent that getting nutrients and a nice meal would be a huge struggle - and it was. The dishes most available were the tortilla de Espana and French fries (patatas fritas). Now, try eating that for six days and walk 25-35 kilometers day after day - I promise you, you won't feel good.

I could have had a salad in Ferrol, but went to the O Pincho tapas place, where I got a spinach-egg dish (without the tuna). I also got bread. Be prepared, you will survive mostly on pure bread in the next days.

The hotel breakfast sorely missed fresh vegetables, but at least I got pieces of bread (you guessed) with butter and cheese and probably some scrambled eggs.

In hindsight, I wish I would have researched a lot more for that first night, as Ferrol was big compared to other towns that followed.

I was refused to be sit and serviced at a restaurant in Neda, so I walked further to a Döner place. They had a vegetarian option, so I had French fries (you guessed) and two burritos (or at least they resembled burritos).

For dinner, I really struggled. I stayed in Narón. All the options I preGoogled and were said to be open were closed. I found a burger place and had a vegan burger. Ah, those were the days.

Breakfast was at a café next door (arranged by the hotel). I got two toasts with the "usual" tomato spread and a tea. If you don't drink coffee, you'll be somewhat of a spectacle on the Camino, but being vegetarian already put me into the crazy category, so what did I care. No fresh vegetables, no fresh fruits, no second helpings.

Thankfully, it was Monday and the supermercados were open again, so I could buy a banana on my way. I stopped at a café for a second breakfast and got...a piece of tortilla. Lucky me! I had lunch at Pontedeume (racing against the clock to reach it) in Restaurant Luis. I had a full tortilla de Espana (consisting of about 8-10 eggs)...and that was it.

At this point I was desperate. Having walked about 18 kilometers and getting only the tortilla for lunch really made me wonder how on earth I will continue walking when I simply cannot eat properly. I googled and found a restaurant that offered grilled vegetables for dinner! Hallelujah.

I walked there for their opening time, they were open and had the grilled vegetables. The meal itself looked like a joke, a leaf of salad and a few grilled vegetables, so I also had (you guessed it) French fries, eat the bread that was offered as an appetizer and couldn't wait to get back to the hotel room.

I bought a yoghurt, a zucchini (courgette), a tomato, some more banana etc. However, it was also close to 10 PM when I got back, so I could eat a lot less than I wished. (Restaurants open at around 8 - 8:30 PM, making it impossible to get back to your room before 10 PM.)

The next morning, I had - at this point, you probably know - bread with the usual tomato sauce and cheese (nicely arranged with jamón personally for me despite being indicated as a vegetarian). But, luck shone on me here, because I got second helpings of the bread! What a nice upgrade from yesterday's breakfast. I also grabbed an additional banana and some cake, which ordinarily I never ever eat.

As you can imagine, I researched even more and found that I could have some vegan meals at Pizza Mino. I got there early, the kitchen only opened at 1 PM, but I gladly waited 40 minutes for my order to be taken. I had the (mid-sized) vegan pizza (I'm also lactose intolerant, but not vegan) and ate it all with the exception of one slice. In hindsight, I should have eaten it all, but little did I know, how the trip will continue.

At Betanzos, I found 3 places that were supposedly opened and had vegetarian dishes. The first two places were not even open. (Google said that there are a lot less people there than usual...yeah, because the place was not even open in the first place.)

I finally ended up at another burger place instead of a restaurant that was not where Google told me it was supposed to be. Had a complete vegan burger. I thought it would come with French fries, but no, it only meant more toppings (cheese and a leaf of salad and a slice of tomato).

Had a brief follow-up meal of zucchini, tomato, orange in my room, but again, it was late.

Breakfast was wonderful compared to previous days, but I also stayed at a really good hotel. There was fresh fruit, and of course bread with butter and cheese and some eggs involved.

The next day I had a piece of tortilla (again) at noon at a bar. At this point I felt nauseous even when seeing the word huevos (eggs in Spanish). I decided to skip tortilla unless there was no other option. For lunch, I had a cheese sandwich at Meson-Museó. This means two huge pieces of bread stuck together with some processed, presliced cheese. A piece of jamón got stuck at one piece of bread...

At the hotel in the evening (again, indicated upon booking that I was a fully-fledged vegetarian, no jamón, no carne, no atún), I was offered a big salad as a first meal and French fries with two eggs sunny-sides up and a fruit salad as dessert. At first I thought I would only get the big salad and asked an English and Spanish speaking kind girl to talk to the waiter, but it turned out that there was a second dish. The waiter was the only person, who really tried to offer me fresh vegetables and fruits to the extent he had any during the entire trip. I was grateful! The salad itself was cold and not that big, but compared to what I had had until then on the Camino, it was the best salad on the road!

Breakfast was less nice, bread with butter and cheese and some cake, no fresh vegetables and only fruits that you wouldn't carry on the Inglés.

From Bruma to Sigüeiro, we stopped at a bar for lunch. I had two sandwiches (fake ham and cheese) and had a pre-heated pasta and soup for dinner at the lodgings. At that point they felt like heaven.

Breakfast was toasted bread (multiple helpings), cheese, tomato sauce, some cake and butter.

I tried not to feel the lack of vitamins, protein and all other nutrients my body was screaming for.

I had a cheese sandwich (bread and cheese only, again) for lunch and finally, finally arrived at Santiago!

The vegan restaurant (The Green House) that was supposed to be open until 4 PM was closed at 3:20, so I simply went to my hotel and napped. At that point, it did not matter anymore if I got a proper late lunch or not. I did not miss one meal, I missed a week's worth of proper meals!

I went back for their opening time at dinner and had a normal, proper vegetarian dinner: rice (which does not seem to exist in Galicia) with an Indian "curry" and it was wonderful!

I ate at another vegan place (A Porta Verde) the next day for lunch and dinner and finally started to feel like myself again.

Asking people to survive on bread, (bad) cheese, French fries and eggs is not okay. I understand we are talking about small towns. I do not regret completing this Camino, but when you read elsewhere that "you'll survive", please know that it means just that: you will survive, you won't die, but it will be among the most difficult weeks of your life eating wise.

Especially considering that I ended up walking 30 kilometers per day on average as the official mileage hugely differs from the miles you actually walk.

Yes, my trips to the restaurants and the supermarkets are included in that, but be assured, they did not total 67 kilometers...

I’m not actually vegetarian or vegan (though very happy to eat vegan) but I can’t have milk or any milk products, so no cheese for me, and I don’t really like meat, having strong vegetarian leanings…I also dislike eggs…

I did struggle on the Frances. I don’t know how Spanish people’s insides function properly on so little fibre! Meat, potatoes, bread… I was CRAVING vegetables! Because of this, when I saw a huge salad on the menu in one town I ordered it and ate it on the spot.
Unfortunately, I think it was this that gave me food poisoning… At least I didn’t have much appetite for a few days!

Some places provided soya milk or at least oat milk: in many places I had to drink my coffee or tea black. Such coffee or tea with bread spread with tomato is not necessarily great fuel!

I did eat tortilla. I did eat tuna empanada. And I WAS grateful for anything: after all, this was a pilgrimage! In one place we had (expensive!) vegetable paella, which was wonderful! But my takeaway was that a greater vegan presence on the road would have been wonderful. In Santiago we used the noodle bar. I didn’t know about the vegan restaurant, and though we searched for anywhere serving rice we couldn’t find it.

Despite all of this, I had been waiting forty years to walk the Camino and I couldn’t be more thankful for the grace of God who made it possible, all glory to Him!

Im so glad you found an “outlet” for what I think is the biggest downer post Ive read in years! You sound like an unaware traveler who has never experienced local conditions and I don’t mean international: try finding vegetarian along the WAY in most rural America. Sorry you’re experiencing difficulties…. I found your text illustrating:: VEGETARIAN s you need to think about packing protein bars and supplements as it’s not always available on any long(ish) hiking trails!

It comes with the turf; you made a commitment to being a vegetarian and must accept the consequences. The world does not revolve around you. And if the true spirit of the Camino had come forth, you would have suffered in silence--this is part of what the Camino experience is about. Do not misread me as I respect your life choices/decisions and wish you had encountered many and varied meal choices of your preference. And having second thoughts about going back to Spain ever again illustrates narrow thinking and selfishness. Chuck

Also, by being so discouraging to your fellow vegetarians, you may advertently or inadvertently discourage some from doing a valued pilgrimage. Not good, not good at all. Chuck

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Absolutely — *but* in Galicia the lovely albergue kitchens have no kitchen supplies, so that won’t work on the Ingles.
And, I agree with all the advice to the OP: do not ask the local culture to stop being itself. It’s walking pilgrimage, not walking imperialism.

My short answer to your long post is: stay in albergues! Most of them have a kitchen (and on Gronze.com you can see which have or have not) where you can prepare your own meal; problem solved.
And in most cases cooking together is a nice, communal experience: cooking with other pilgrims and eating together gives great opportunities for a good chat together.

It comes with the turf; you made a commitment to being a vegetarian and must accept the consequences. The world does not revolve around you. And if the true spirit of the Camino had come forth, you would have suffered in silence--this is part of what the Camino experience is about. Do not misread me as I respect your life choices/decisions and wish you had encountered many and varied meal choices of your preference. And having second thoughts about going back to Spain ever again illustrates narrow thinking and selfishness. Chuck

Also, by being so discouraging to your fellow vegetarians, you may advertently or inadvertently discourage some from doing a valued pilgrimage. Not good, not good at all. Chuck
I'm so glad you sit so high up in your ivory tower, must be so nice

I'm sorry but in a world where hunger and starvation are a REAL problem (and not caused by a lifestyle choice) you chose to walk in a country where the pig reigns supreme and in a region bounded on two coasts by sea and all that that entails. And you were were dissatisfied with the options available? Such hyperbole!
Did you not consider that your dietary requirements would cause you a problem in rural Spain?
I have known pilgrims who were strict vegans/vegetarian who had to compromise their ideals - after all the Ingles is little over a week's walk - perhaps you could have been a bit more "flexitarian" for that week?

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The OP seems to have missed the point of pilgrimage.
I read the post several times, and I see an entitled person upset that the trail did not meet their expectations. Pilgrimage is all about adjusting your demands/expectations to the trail, not insisting that the trail provide for your special needs.
A pilgrimage trail is not a vacation destination, it is a self-discipline boot-camp. If you are not willing to change your habits or adjust your expectations, you are bound to be disappointed... and here we are.

You're leaving out a most important fact about Dpain, she provides a great deal of the produce eaten in Europe. I always found DIA a well stocked store but seldom encountered. Still what's available vs what shows up on the menu can be vast. If a person has a conviction to act a certain way or even more importantly in my eyes a medical issue than a well written post as was offered here is very helpful for any aspiring pilgrim with these issues, wouldn't you agree?

There is the cost too, €1 for a banana sometimes €2 is steep, protein bars are almost always falsely advertised garbage and full of sugar and as an insulin user I can attest to the science that makes me state such a fact. Suffering can certainly be a component of the walk but it's not mandatory first off and second a drastic dietary change can really effect a person's overall health so I get why the OP made the summary they did.

a well written post as was offered here is very helpful for any aspiring pilgrim with these issues, wouldn't you agree?

Except it isn't a well written post. It's an entitled whinge and it's a major problem with our society today. Let's call a spade a spade for a change. Go on, mods.. Quick, delete my post lest it offends anyone🙄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If your diet varies from the country's norm, eating out can be tricky, and you have to buy, carry and prepare your own food. Staying in albergues makes that a lot easier, plus there may be other people staying there with the same needs. Staying in hotels is more difficult for food, and laundry - both things that a pilgrim needs.
With my husband being coeliac (more difficult I think than vegetarianism, I was a vegetarian for 20 years earlier in my life) we had to buy and carry food. Very doable, less convenient, but he ate well.
A rule I follow, if you come across a supermarket/shop or pharmacy - take stock of what you may need because the next one might not be open.

I am a vegetarian who walked for 40 days on the Frances last year. Your post shed light on your experience in great detail, too much detail for me to read it all and it read more like you needed to vent, which is not a bad thing. We all need that sometimes. I had more food choices perhaps with the more developed infrastructure however staying in albergues helped a great deal as many had kitchens and I often made up my own dinners. Was it a challenge for me? some days it was.

If you choose to walk another Camino, you will know more and be better prepared. Life is in part about adapting and moving on.

There are lots of nuts available in big and small grocery stores. Good food for everyone! And chocolate is supposedly healthy as well! I generally eat an ensalada mixta every day with olives - also healthy. And frequently buy a sweet pepper, cucumber, carrot, and/or apple to snack on.
I’m not sure restaurant food in any country is a typical source of fresh vegetables for the locals. It certainly isn’t in Canada.

€46,-
There are lots of nuts available in big and small grocery stores. Good food for everyone! And chocolate is supposedly healthy as well! I generally eat an ensalada mixta every day with olives - also healthy. And frequently buy a sweet pepper, cucumber, carrot, and/or apple to snack on.
I’m not sure restaurant food in any country is a typical source of fresh vegetables for the locals. It certainly isn’t in Canada.
Indeed... the notion that the Spanish people (who are residents and providers of "Europe's Salad Bowl") do not eat vegetables and fruits is absurd. In the small villages, of course the tiny tienda has little in the way of produce. Why would it? People have *kitchen gardens* full of collards, peppers, tomatoes, olive trees, root veg, potatoes, lemons... Figs are everywhere and it's currently walnut season in Asturias and Galicia...
Local cultures tend to have more limited menus -- we call these "culturally specific" food-ways. It is nothing like the 24/7 out of season, flown in (planet polluting, water sucking, carbon emission excess) produce selection that North Americans are so inclined to take for granted...
Things in Northern Spain are much more like the "100 mile diet" (eg., the fabes Asturianas cannot be grown in Galicia -- though they can be bought)...
To deride a set of small communities of their adherence to traditional food-ways as somehow ungenerous or small minded or ill-advised... well, if you will pardon the idiom: it's hard for me to stomach.
I do not know how people can walk day after day after day past the farm houses and villages and not notice the vegetable gardens... the chickens on the paths... the back yard goats...
The elderly women pulling root veg out and carting them in wheelbarrows to the outdoor kitchens to prepare them for preserving... how do people repeatedly *not see* these things?
Too busy having "my camino" to notice the world that is so generously hosting them, I think.

Last edited:
The OP hasn't been on the Forum for 24 hours, so most comments have not been consumed by her.

I am not a vegetarian; I eat what I am served. I really enjoy Spanish food. For walking a Camino, you need to have lots of proteins and solid nutrition. No wonder you felt fatigued, living on vegetables/eggs/bread/cheese only.

My daughter and granddaughter were vegetarians for some time. I always found a way to make an additional dish for them. More work... Personally, I find it odd: after all, we are canines by nature. That is why we have a few pointed teeth. JMHO.

That said, you could have bought rice/lentils/chick peas, etc., and composed whatever you would like to eat, in the albergues. I do quite often, even if not being a vegetarian.
goods
Even the smallest tiendas (shops) in small villages have plenty of vegetables and other nutritios; just shop and compose your own.

Spain, being a country of meat and seafood, will of course cater to the needs and demands of most people, not the odd foreigner. It's only business.

When in Rome, do as the Romans.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A pilgrimage trail is not a vacation destination, it is a self-discipline boot-camp. If you are not willing to change your habits or adjust your expectations, you are bound to be disappointed... and here we are.
Exactly my thoughts. I am gratified that I can walk my Caminos, and receive. And say thanks.

This thread brings back longings of a hot fried choriso pot with bread, some serious ham and fries, juicy chicken legs, oxtail, Cihck pea vegetable soup with tuna and choriso added, w/bread, and lots of other Spanish delicacies.

All flushed down with a bottle of Rioja. And of course, (2) ruojos and coffee to finish it off. Then a good night's sleep and many kms next day.

Life is good on the Camino.

Last edited:
Indeed... the notion that the Spanish people (who are residents and providers of "Europe's Salad Bowl") do not eat vegetables and fruits is absurd. In the small villages, of course the tiny tienda has little in the way of produce. Why would it? People have *kitchen gardens* full of collards, peppers, tomatoes, olive trees, root veg, potatoes, lemons... Figs are everywhere and it's currently walnut season in Asturias and Galicia...
Local cultures tend to have more limited menus -- we call these "culturally specific" food-ways. It is nothing like the 24/7 out of season, flown in (planet polluting, water sucking, carbon emission excess) produce selection that North Americans are so inclined to take for granted...
Things in Northern Spain are much more like the "100 mile diet" (eg., the fabes Asturianas cannot be grown in Galicia -- though they can be bought)...
To deride a set of small communities of their adherence to traditional food-ways as somehow ungenerous or small minded or ill-advised... well, if you will pardon the idiom: it's hard for me to stomach.
I do not know how people can walk day after day after day past the farm houses and villages and not notice the vegetable gardens... the chickens on the paths... the back yard goats...
The elderly women pulling root veg out and carting them in wheelbarrows to the outdoor kitchens to prepare them for preserving... how do people repeatedly *not see* these things?
Too busy having "my camino" to notice the world that is so generously hosting them, I think.
Indeed. Ignorance is bliss.

Indeed... the notion that the Spanish people (who are residents and providers of "Europe's Salad Bowl") do not eat vegetables and fruits is absurd.
I agree. I did not have any problem accessing a bounty of fruits, vegetables and other non-meat and dairy products on the Camino. I prefer to walk in May, and while I am not a vegetarian, on my first Camino I worried (needlessly) that I might have trouble getting the fiber my gut needs to keep me, uh, regular. Was I ever surprised: nearly every pilgrim meal included a simple but adequate salad, vegetable with the main course, and fruit for dessert or in a bowl on a side board. Even in May, I had ready access to cherries, apricots (!?), oranges, countless vegetables, almonds, yogurt, and no end of bread (delicious) and pastries (more delicious). The tortilla de patatas? Gazpacho? Pimientos de Padron? OMG. I still have yet to replicate the patatas bravas (so simple, so delicious) at home. In fact, after four days on the CdF, I found myself craving protein. Animal protein.

How'd I handle it? Took a little personal responsibility and found restaurants that would meet my needs. Was the steak like what I was used to in the US? No, it was different. And to someone who was craving protein, it was delicious.

Bottom line: if you arrive with the attitude of a tourist on a cruise ship, you will be disappointed. At the end of the day, the buffet will not be there for you. Put in a little effort though and you will have no problem getting what you need, and you'll probably be well pleased with what you find.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

When on day 4 I consumed about the 20th egg on the Camino Inglés (from Ferrol to Santiago with a stop in Neda), I made a promise to post some information about vegetarian options on the Camino...
Hello all, After having to cancel my planned Ingles last month, now planning to do it 12-16 November. I have booked some accommodation, much of which is private rooms, but I much prefer the...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back