• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • October the 12th 2004 I posted the first post here on this forum. 20 years have passed. Thank you for being such a good group of people and for hanging around. More here in this thread. All the best from Santiago, Ivar
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update from Hector

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
Update

I haven’t posted in several days and stopped responding to comments because I’ve been simply too emotionally and physically exhausted and could not keep up.

The Camino took every ounce of strength from me and I’ve been depressed, not because I’m longing to return to it, but because I can’t keep putting up a brave, positive front while feeling drained inside.

I’m glad that I did it and that I got to finish it, I enjoyed the gorgeous views and I feel good that I was able to deal with several challenges, but I think maybe I pushed myself too hard and ran out of dopamine/cortisol/whatever other hormones involved in the stress response. Coming home to clean up after a hurricane, and then having to go through another one didn’t help, either.

Paradoxically, the Camino stirred up lots of issues that are very personal and I prefer to keep private, and I’ve been struggling with unexpected anger and negativity about my failures in these areas, which I don’t want to bring to this board as I think they not appropriate for this venue. I believe that, at least for now, I should take a break, let things process themselves, and I might consider returning to these boards in the future. This time of the year my depression tends to flare up and I’m trying to stave off an emotional relapse.

Thank you all for the support and feedback these past several months, it’s much appreciated and I remain grateful.

Blessings to all!

Hector

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Take care, Hector. Two hurricanes in a row can't be doing your state of mind any good, either. Been thinking of you and hope you (and that piano!) came through it all undamaged.

Hi Hector, congratulations on completing your camino. I needed a week resting and sleeping in my own bed after last year's CF let alone coping with two hurricanes. Thanks for all your posts. Best wishes.

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
Take care of yourself Héctor.
You have enough on your plate after dealing with Helene and Milton!

At this point, I suggest that you don't try to "process" your Camino. Let thoughts of it naturally occur, but don't dwell on them. On one hand, it's a huge accomplishment (you completed it when many don't!), but on the other it was just a long walk. It's important to put it into perspective.

Taking a break from the forum is probably healthy for you right now.

Wishing you the best.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Take care, Hector. I enjoyed following your journey. Looking after yourself should always be more important than anything else. I am just glad you were able to share with us, and will look forward to seeing you again should another Camino be in your future.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Perhaps a helpful tip. Leaving Saint Jean Pied de Port until say Puente La Reina or Estella, your backpack is finally packed and arranged properly for daily use, feels good on your back, your...
Well friends, I can happy and proudly said that I'll start my sixth time volunteering in St. John the Babtist albergue in Gañon from next October the16th, to October the 31th. If you decided to...
In 2023 I walked the CF from SLPDP. In 2024 I walked the Vía de la Plata from Seville. For 2025 I was/am going to walk the next logical option - the Camino Portuguese. Seeing something different...
Does anybody have any experience with Huellas del Pelegrino in Porto-marin? Lone pilgrim, i am a bit anxious about sleeping top bunk. Recommendations accepted. Thank you.
Anyone been to this one and have comments on it? https://alberguessantabrigida.com/albergue-san-bol/ No neighbors, 260 meters south of the francés, turn off about 4½ kilometers east of Hontanas...
Did my 5th CF this past June. After the first two (2016 & 2018), I felt like that was enough. Then a few years later in 2021 I thought well maybe one more in 2022. When I got back from that one, I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back