Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Upcoming 1st trial 3 days SJPDP to Pamplona in late September

ZoeyCat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
Hello! Brand new here :)
Very excited but also very nervous about this Upcoming 1st trial for 3/4 days SJPDP to Pamplona in late September.
My first question: after flying from US New York area, landing in Paris ORY airport at 12:15pm, if i want to get to SJPDP on the same day, will I be able to rush to Gare Montparnasse to catch a 2pm train which will arrive 7:21pm? Or if there is any other better option to get there from US?
Thank you so much in advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Because of all the travel unknowns such as will your flight arrive on time and how long will it take to clear immigration and customs plus travel to Gare Montparnasse, you might not have enough time to catch the 2 pm train. My suggestion, particularly if you’ve not been to Paris, would be to overnight in Paris and then take the morning train to Bayonne and then on to SJPP.

I’ve flown from the East Coast twice and found that the single day travel to SJPP to be both long and stressful (making all the right connections that is). Our most recent trip included an overnight in Paris with then a leisurely trip south. Plus, we arrived early in the day so as to enjoy SJPP before starting our Camino.

If you don’t have to rush your trip, stay in Paris, rest up from the overnight flight, and have a more stress free travel day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Probably a bit tight to reach Montparnasse by 2pm. Transavia often have afternoon flights from Orly to Biarritz which would get you there a couple of hours earlier and probably at a similar price. Less rushing around.
I agree. Since you will already be at the airport, fly to Biarritz.

Probably a bit tight to reach Montparnasse by 2pm. Transavia often have afternoon flights from Orly to Biarritz which would get you there a couple of hours earlier and probably at a similar price. Less rushing around.

Thank you Bradypus!
I checked: Transavia only has 2 flights on my arrival day, 8:20 PM – 9:45 PM to Biarritz will fit me. I guess it is safer to just wait patiently in ORY for the 8 hours, than rushing to catch train.
Will I still be able to get to SJPDP at this late hour? Or better to stay in hostel near Biarritz??

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
and i agree with @Grousedoctor & @trecile - everyone here knows that I am a staunch proponent of that extra day\night in Paris. Fly-in, leisurely get a room (preferably somewhere close to Gare Montparnasse - I stayed at Enjoy Hostel only 15 mins nice pleasant walk away), enjoy the remain of the day whichever way you chose and continue on next day morning. roughly 10:00am will get you in by 4:00pm tops

Good Luck and Buen Camino

My travel plan is fly out from US NY/NJ area around 09/20/24, for a total 2 weeks vacation. Walk my first camino in 4 days SJPDP to Pamplona. Really just to see how it is and meet up the camino community. Hopefully return to walk them all lol. After the 4 days walk i plan to go visit Prague/Budapest.

So new here! Now i see @Grousedoctor message.

Thank you all so much for quick responses. It helps alot to ease up my anxiousness!

and i agree with @Grousedoctor & @trecile - everyone here knows that I am a staunch proponent of that extra day\night in Paris. Fly-in, leisurely get a room (preferably somewhere close to Gare Montparnasse - I stayed at Enjoy Hostel only 15 mins nice pleasant walk away), enjoy the remain of the day whichever way you chose and continue on next day morning. roughly 10:00am will get you in by 4:00pm tops

Good Luck and Buen Camino
Its sounds nice. I will look into it. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello! Brand new here :)
Very excited but also very nervous about this Upcoming 1st trial for 3/4 days SJPDP to Pamplona in late September.
My first question: after flying from US New York area, landing in Paris ORY airport at 12:15pm, if i want to get to SJPDP on the same day, will I be able to rush to Gare Montparnasse to catch a 2pm train which will arrive 7:21pm? Or if there is any other better option to get there from US?
Thank you so much in advance!
Flights from Newark to Madrid get in at 9:00 am. A noon 1-hour flight from MAD to San Sebastián puts you there at about 1;00. Train them gets you to Bayonne In time to catch the SJPDP train, although I tend to stay overnight in Bayonne, because I like Bayonne, and then a early train to SJPDP.

Hmmm... while a nice option, IMHO too many legs (I count 4: 2 planes and 2 trains) which increases the chance of "something go awry" if the desire to press on in 1 day is what OP wants. (and if that yur 1st time in Europe.... enough anxiety as is)

Else of course I totally advocare of just complete the over-the-pond part of the trip and stay somewhere O/N and continue to SJPdP next morning.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My travel plan is fly out from US NY/NJ area around 09/20/24, for a total 2 weeks vacation. Walk my first camino in 4 days SJPDP to Pamplona. Really just to see how it is and meet up the camino community. Hopefully return to walk them all lol. After the 4 days walk i plan to go visit Prague/Budapest.
So, your plan is to spend a fortnight (two weeks) in Europe mostly queuing at airport security or border control? IMPHO (in my personal honest opinion) you are trying to eat softly scrambled egg with chopsticks. I'm not sure how you'd get from Pamplona to Prague or Budapest, though I'm sure Rome2rio will be able to come up with something, but I think I'd adjust my plans to enjoy a bit of Paris, a bit of Bayonne, a bit of Camino and a bit of a struggle getting home again. But hey, thats me, enjoy your trip

Flights from Newark to Madrid get in at 9:00 am. A noon 1-hour flight from MAD to San Sebastián puts you there at about 1;00. Train them gets you to Bayonne In time to catch the SJPDP train, although I tend to stay overnight in Bayonne, because I like Bayonne, and then a early train to SJPDP.
Thank you for pointing this out, Bob Howard! I kept looking at cheaper airfare, rather than timing. EWR-ORY round trip $480, vs EWR-MAD $825. But good to know timing wise Madrid is a good alternative option.

Hmmm... while a nice option, IMHO too many legs (I count 4: 2 planes and 2 trains) which increases the chance of "something go awry" if the desire to press on in 1 day is what OP wants. (and if that yur 1st time in Europe.... enough anxiety as is)

Else of course I totally advocare of just complete the over-the-pond part of the trip and stay somewhere O/N and continue to SJPdP next morning.
I heard you! I like the idea to stop in Paris, even though i have been to Paris many times, and eager to start my Camino. I will definitely look into this Enjoy Hostel near Gare Montparnasse.

So, your plan is to spend a fortnight (two weeks) in Europe mostly queuing at airport security or border control? IMPHO (in my personal honest opinion) you are trying to eat softly scrambled egg with chopsticks. I'm not sure how you'd get from Pamplona to Prague or Budapest, though I'm sure Rome2rio will be able to come up with something, but I think I'd adjust my plans to enjoy a bit of Paris, a bit of Bayonne, a bit of Camino and a bit of a struggle getting home again. But hey, thats me, enjoy your trip
Yes. I realize I have to spend a whole day to get to either Prague/Budapest. Yeah, maybe cut this 2 weeks vacation into 2 separate one, and just focus on my very first Camino experience!! Thanks alot for your input!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
of course - I just took an educated guess based on the price

I never tried them; I know that they are no frills airline which means that they might have extra charge for seat selection and\or any luggage.

And I've never flown to ORY - Im a United "disciple" and as such always wind up doing EWR --> CdG and enjoying free check-in (which i do because i do bring my poles with), technically flying on Basic Economy but then get my seat upgrade by paying up (usually a lot less than what the fare of that class would cost me if i bought it outright) and sitting comfy in thr UA club before the flight itself.

...But of course that is not to say that I may not consider flying some other airline in the future if the price IS right!

Good morning!
After talking with you all yesterday, I kind of settling in with this updated plan.
D1: Arrive in Paris and spend a night there ->
D2: train to SJPDP and spend the rest of the day there ->
D3: Start camino easy and get to Orisson for sunset ->
D4: Roncesvalles
D5: Zubiri
D6: Pamplona
D7/8: Bilbao
D9: Bilbao to Paris 1p-2p. Fly home 6:50p from ORY
My next Camino hike will be another week catching the next section. And on and on. That's the plan.
I confess i still debate should I start with the last section from Sarria to Santiago, which will be easier walk I guess. Since I am a little intimidated by the elevation in the first section from SJPDP.
Your comment will be appreciated!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you are planning to stop at Orisson then you will be fine. You are much better starting from SJPdP if you are intending to return, and IMO the start is much better than the finish in terms of Camino atmosphere and scenery on the CF.
Glad to be assured. Thanks!

Agree with @davejsy

With the climb up to Orisson, the really steep bit comes in the final few kms. Just take it slow and steady. You’ll know you’ve reached the final - and flat! - section to Orisson when you see people with a beer or a jug of sangria sitting on the verge, soaking up the fantastic views. Then you”ll see the Refuge Orisson up ahead.

Don’t forget to book ahead your bed for the night

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agree with @davejsy

With the climb up to Orisson, the really steep bit comes in the final few kms. Just take it slow and steady. You’ll know you’ve reached the final - and flat! - section to Orisson when you see people with a beer or a jug of sangria sitting on the verge, soaking up the fantastic views. Then you”ll see the Refuge Orisson up ahead.

Don’t forget to book ahead your bed for the night
Sure thing and thanks!
Getting excited~

Just to add my two cents here:

I'm doing my first Camino (Camino Frances) starting September 12th of this year, but I actually start my journey from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on the 9th. My plane arrives at 12:45 PM on the 10th, I overnight at CDG, and then the next morning I take a flight to Biarritz. From there (still late morning) I bus to Bayonne and then take a train to SJPdP, where I *also* overnight. My actual walking starts the next day.

I've traveled to Europe too many times in my life (and I'm now in my late 60s) to play around too much with the stress of trying to get it all done really quickly. Been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN.

Some folks just don't have the time, I get that. But if you do, please consider taking your time to actually get to the "start" point.

Buen camino!

This is super helpful. I am flying into Paris August 31st from Indiana. Arriving 9:00 am. I plan to stay the day and night in Paris and then begin my way to SJPDP. Is the train ride to Bayonne the best and and beautiful way ?

I heard you! I like the idea to stop in Paris, even though i have been to Paris many times, and eager to start my Camino. I will definitely look into this Enjoy Hostel near Gare Montparnasse.
With this being the Olympics summer in and around Paris, my considered opinion is to get away from Paris as soon as you can. This reasoning is partially based on logistical concerns and also upon safety concerns. Crowds, congestion and delays aggravate my anxiety condition.

My feeling is that the sooner you get away from Paris and onto your route of intended travel, the better off you will be.

I recommend taking the TGV train, from CDG, to Bordeaux and / or Bayonne. Overnight at Bayonne and continue on to St Jean Pied de Port early the next morning, or as you desire.

This gets you on your way, away from all the Olympics related craziness, crowding and possible safety issues and closer to starting your Camino. I believe this will reduce anxiety and stress.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Just to add my two cents here:

I'm doing my first Camino (Camino Frances) starting September 12th of this year, but I actually start my journey from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada on the 9th. My plane arrives at 12:45 PM on the 10th, I overnight at CDG, and then the next morning I take a flight to Biarritz. From there (still late morning) I bus to Bayonne and then take a train to SJPdP, where I *also* overnight. My actual walking starts the next day.

I've traveled to Europe too many times in my life (and I'm now in my late 60s) to play around too much with the stress of trying to get it all done really quickly. Been there, done that, NEVER AGAIN.

Some folks just don't have the time, I get that. But if you do, please consider taking your time to actually get to the "start" point.

Buen camino!
Glad to know someone out there starting 1st Camino about same time and same route. Thanks for sharing!
Buen Camino~

€149,-
With this being the Olympics summer in and around Paris, my considered opinion is to get away from Paris as soon as you can. This reasoning is partially based on logistical concerns and also upon safety concerns. Crowds, congestion and delays aggravate my anxiety condition.

My feeling is that the sooner you get away from Paris and onto your route of intended travel, the better off you will be.

I recommend taking the TGV train, from CDG, to Bordeaux and / or Bayonne. Overnight at Bayonne and continue on to St Jean Pied de Port early the next morning, or as you desire.

This gets you on your way, away from all the Olympics related craziness, crowding and possible safety issues and closer to starting your Camino. I believe this will reduce anxiety and stress.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Great tips! Thanks for reminding this Olympics madness. Almost forgot about it.

Hope this helps.

Tom
In France, if I am late for the train, do I normally have the option to change ticket to the next available ride??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good morning!
After talking with you all yesterday, I kind of settling in with this updated plan.
D1: Arrive in Paris and spend a night there ->
D2: train to SJPDP and spend the rest of the day there ->
D3: Start camino easy and get to Orisson for sunset ->
D4: Roncesvalles
D5: Zubiri
D6: Pamplona
D7/8: Bilbao
D9: Bilbao to Paris 1p-2p. Fly home 6:50p from ORY
My next Camino hike will be another week catching the next section. And on and on. That's the plan.
I confess i still debate should I start with the last section from Sarria to Santiago, which will be easier walk I guess. Since I am a little intimidated by the elevation in the first section from SJPDP.
Your comment will be appreciated!
This looks like a good plan. My advice if you want to stay in Orisson is to make reservations. It does fill up and I was there late September last year and thankfully had a reservation. My walk up over the Pyrenees was incredible and very, very windy. Thankfully I had my walking poles to help keep me upright ( and I’m from Colorado and am very familiar with high mountains and wind!). Of course, you may get a beautiful, calm day, I hope!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't know, you would have to ask. But, in my personal experience train tickets tend to be fungible / flexible, unless they are specifically bought as a non-refundable or changeable ticket.

Other folks, more experienced with this specific issue would need to weigh in.

But, were it me, already holding a ticket for another routing or date, I would explore making a second, separate reservation, while pursuing a separate refund request for the first ticket. In the worse case, you end up with two tickets - one you will not use.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Updates:
Just booked air tickets. Fly IcelandAir arriving CDG 1pm on 09/21. Return 09/30.
Bought SNCF train ticket to Bordeaux Saint-Jean leaving 4pm same day.
Booked Refuge ORISSON 09/23.
Booked ALBERGUE RONCESVALLES 09/24.
Very happy getting all these done so far! Will continue to book the rest...
Thank you so much for all these wonderful tips and encouragement.
Couldn't come this far without all you folks out there!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Updates:
Just booked air tickets. Fly IcelandAir arriving CDG 1pm on 09/21. Return 09/30.
Buen Camino

Updates:
@ZoeyCat you might want to check your plans for the train trip. You have bought a ticket to Bordeaux, which is quite some distance from your starting point of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (the train station in Bordeaux is called Bordeaux Saint Jean - a different place altogether). You will need to catch another train from Bordeaux to Bayonne, then a local train to SJPDP. If you are taking the train direct from CDG airport you would need to change trains at Bordeaux anyway, so you could book a separate ticket for the stretch to Bayonne. The ticket for the local train to SJPDP can be bought at the station if you have enough time between trains, or you can book in advance online (best done as another separate ticket - that train is often replaced by a bus, and a separate ticket avoids having the ever-efficient SCNF cancel your whole booking!

I hope that doesn't all sound too confusing - it's not really a complicated trip.

Buen Camino!

@ZoeyCat you might want to check your plans for the train trip. You have bought a ticket to Bordeaux, which is quite some distance from your starting point of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port (the train station in Bordeaux is called Bordeaux Saint Jean - a different place altogether). You will need to catch another train from Bordeaux to Bayonne, then a local train to SJPDP. If you are taking the train direct from CDG airport you would need to change trains at Bordeaux anyway, so you could book a separate ticket for the stretch to Bayonne. The ticket for the local train to SJPDP can be bought at the station if you have enough time between trains, or you can book in advance online (best done as another separate ticket - that train is often replaced by a bus, and a separate ticket avoids having the ever-efficient SCNF cancel your whole booking!

I hope that doesn't all sound too confusing - it's not really a complicated trip.

Buen Camino!
Before I was thinking staying overnight at Bordeaux...
Now with your advice, i added another train ticket to Bayonne from Bordeaux St Jean, arriving 10pm, hopefully safe enough to get to accommodation there.
Thanks alot!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Before I was thinking staying overnight at Bordeaux...
Now with your advice, i added another train ticket to Bayonne from Bordeaux St Jean, arriving 10pm, hopefully safe enough to get to accommodation there.
Thanks alot!
Bordeaux would also be fine for an overnight. The advantage of Bayonne is you're that much closer to your destination for the following day. A lot of people in this forum have recommended Hotel Côte Basque in Bayonne, just across from the train station and has been reasonably priced, although i just had a look and their prices are looking a lot higher than they were. There are plenty of places in Bayonne though. Ask them about a late checkin if you're not arriving until after 10pm, but it should be fine, and you can get a taxi from the station if you book somewhere a bit further out.

Bordeaux would also be fine for an overnight. The advantage of Bayonne is you're that much closer to your destination for the following day. A lot of people in this forum have recommended Hotel Côte Basque in Bayonne, just across from the train station and has been reasonably priced, although i just had a look and their prices are looking a lot higher than they were. There are plenty of places in Bayonne though. Ask them about a late checkin if you're not arriving until after 10pm, but it should be fine, and you can get a taxi from the station if you book somewhere a bit further out.
Thanks again!
The Hostel 20 Bayonne 2 minutes away looks good to me. I booked it.

It's generally the same train that goes all the way to Bayonne (ultimately Hendaye I think), so you shouldn't need to change if you have just extended your original ticket.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
It's generally the same train that goes all the way to Bayonne (ultimately Hendaye I think), so you shouldn't need to change if you have just extended your original ticket.
I guess i could just extend my ticket like you said, to avoid changing trains...
However, i bought another ticket based on what @GettingThere mentioned above "...(best done as another separate ticket - that train is often replaced by a bus, and a separate ticket avoids having the ever-efficient SCNF cancel your whole booking!"
Thank you though!

Updates: I booked all the hotels along way. Hopefully they won't disappoint me~

Now I have so many questions in mind. These are a few of them:
How do you deal with a poor night’s sleep, or low energy in the beginning of a new day?
How do you deal with bathroom needs in morning rush hours in albergues/hostels?
What are some top Youtube videos and blogs/sites which offers valuable / practical camino tips?
What are the best places to buy ultra lightweight and good quality but not overpriced hiking gears?

I guess i could just extend my ticket like you said, to avoid changing trains...
However, i bought another ticket based on what @GettingThere mentioned above "...(best done as another separate ticket - that train is often replaced by a bus, and a separate ticket avoids having the ever-efficient SCNF cancel your whole booking!"
Thank you though!
The part sometimes replaced by a bus is the Bayonne to SJPdP section, not Bordeaux to Bayonne.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Updates: I booked all the hotels along way. Hopefully they won't disappoint me~

Now I have so many questions in mind. These are a few of them:
How do you deal with a poor night’s sleep, or low energy in the beginning of a new day?
How do you deal with bathroom needs in morning rush hours in albergues/hostels?
What are some top Youtube videos and blogs/sites which offers valuable / practical camino tips?
What are the best places to buy ultra lightweight and good quality but not overpriced hiking gears?
Low energy? Breakfast
Bathroom needs: patience, but as you are booked into hotels the issue won’t arise.
Ultra lightweight hiking gear: totally unnecessary for the Camino you are planning. Concentrate on shoes and socks. The rest is optional

The part sometimes replaced by a bus is the Bayonne to SJPdP section, not Bordeaux to Bayonne.
Yep, that's what I said in my post (I thought). Sorry if I was unclear, @ZoeyCat . I also assumed the train you booked was from CDG airport, which would require a change in Bordeaux if traveling on to Bayonne, as the departure time is only 3 hours after your flight arrives. If you are planning on making your way to central Paris first then as @davejsy said you can get a train direct from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne without needing to change. I'd better stop now before I cause more confusion.... 😊

In France, if I am late for the train, do I normally have the option to change ticket to the next available ride??
No. Long distance trains in France and Spain are all reserved-seats. Miss the train with a live ticket and the train’s going with an empty seat - which is yours whether you’re sat on it or not.

Depending on the ticket type you can cancel online before the train departs and get a refund in due course. Much easier if you’ve got an e-ticket.

Sleeping: earplugs, eyeshades, and meds if needed! 🤪
Low energy: you will be so excited to start walking again, this won’t be an issue!
Lightweight gear: always a work in progress but remember, ounces = pounds so lose the kindle cover, the passport cover, the extra pair of socks, any makeup, you get the idea!

Low energy? Breakfast
Bathroom needs: patience, but as you are booked into hotels the issue won’t arise.
Ultra lightweight hiking gear: totally unnecessary for the Camino you are planning. Concentrate on shoes and socks. The rest is optional
I am guessing you are using the luggage transport service then?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Multiagency rescue... Hope pilgrim concerned is OK..
Hello! Brand new here :) Very excited but also very nervous about this Upcoming 1st trial for 3/4 days SJPDP to Pamplona in late September. My first question: after flying from US New York area...
Hi, folks: I'm seeing conflicting reports about the ruins at San Anton. Will the albergue be open by early August?
@Monasp has just posted the SJPDP figures for pilgrims recorded at the pilgrim office for the first six months of this year. Up a little over 4% on the same period last year. The pdf file is on...
My knees don’t agree with pavement, asfaltroads, so I’m planning to take taxi through Logroño. Anybody knows where it could be logical to hopp of and continue walking?
Hello everyone! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances starting Sept 13th this year and need some advice regarding my first night in SJPDP. I booked a private albergue just in case because I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back