• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unsolicited Camino Prep Ideas

Juspassinthru

in our minds, we're vagabonds, you and I
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2017, Inglés 2019, Aragónes 2024
I've now completed 3 Caminos including the Francés, Inglés (with a León-Sarria side trip) and Arles-Aragónes-Francés. I've hiked and backpacked most of my life. I've learned from others and by making mistakes on preparation and packing. I've attached a PDF with some thoughts on preparing, as a newbie or older returning Pilgrim. It's by no means comprehensive but after seeing the questions posed in the Forum about preparation, equipment, packing, aches/pains, stage ideas, etc., I figured I may have learned something of value to someone. Please accept it for what it is, treasure or junk, all in the eyes of the beholder.

Attachments

• Camino prep.pdf
    77 KB · Views: 720
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for sharing your prep guidelines! I am now officially one week into my first Camino and I definitely agree with everything you said! Booking ahead especially makes life so much easier as you just don’t have to worry about rushing there, you can sit down every 5 or so kilometers and rest, you can take your time eating at a cafe, or do whatever!

This is great. I'm headed out on the Frances route in August and I'm like a sponge for insights right now, even though I trust in the end it's mostly commonsense. Appreciate you taking the time to share yours cents! :) Erin

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Thank you SO, SO much! I'm embarking on my first camino in 10 days and as a solo female on a limited budget and travelling the norte I was starting to stress seriously about accommodation. The 'free spirit' side of things I might have aimed to achieve (completely contrary to my normal nature) know would have soon dissipated as my anxiety to get a bed in the few hostel dorms each day overwhelmed everything else! After reading your words I feel like I have permission to book ahead and know that will enable me to enjoy and make the most of it far more!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've now completed 3 Caminos including the Francés, Inglés (with a León-Sarria side trip) and Arles-Aragónes-Francés. I've hiked and backpacked most of my life. I've learned from others and by making mistakes on preparation and packing. I've attached a PDF with some thoughts on preparing, as a newbie or older returning Pilgrim. It's by no means comprehensive but after seeing the questions posed in the Forum about preparation, equipment, packing, aches/pains, stage ideas, etc., I figured I may have learned something of value to someone. Please accept it for what it is, treasure or junk, all in the eyes of the beholder.
Very informative and encouraging thoughts. Have saved this for future reference in planning for our upcoming (and quickly approaching) Camino Frances. Thank you!

If I had to pre-book a substantial portion of the Camino Frances, I simply would not do it. There's lots of ways to visit Europe, experience Europe; I've had the 'If this is Tuesday, it must be Berlin experience'. Never again. I don't want to know what's around the next turn; I don't want to be on a schedule, I've spent most of my life doing just that and I'm walking in Spain to wander not commute.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
If I had to pre-book a substantial portion of the Camino Frances, I simply would not do it. There's lots of ways to visit Europe, experience Europe; I've had the 'If this is Tuesday, it must be Berlin experience'. Never again. I don't want to know what's around the next turn; I don't want to be on a schedule, I've spent most of my life doing just that and I'm walking in Spain to wander not commute.
Depending on the number of albergues and other accommodations on the next stage I have been booking a day or two in advance. If there are many albergues in a town or a large municipal I don't feel the need to book.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I will be embarking on my fourth Camino later this year and found your thoughtful comments very wise and encouraging as the older I get the more uncertain I become of my ability to just keep walking.

Thank you
Thank you for the great read, lots of good advice. Hope you get out for another Camino soon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I will be embarking on my fourth Camino later this year and found your thoughtful comments very wise and encouraging as the older I get the more uncertain I become of my ability to just keep walking.
I understand completely, I was fortunate to be walking with a friend from Ireland I met in 2017. He’s a great walking partner and we encouraged each other on the tough days. We also met more great pilgrims along the way. Take it slow, and take time to smell the flowers. Age probably won’t stop you from getting there, it may impact what time you get there. One o’clock, three o’clock, 🤷🏼‍♂️

I understand completely, I was fortunate to be walking with a friend from Ireland I met in 2017. He’s a great walking partner and we encouraged each other on the tough days. We also met more great pilgrims along the way. Take it slow, and take time to smell the flowers. Age probably won’t stop you from getting there, it may impact what time you get there. One o’clock, three o’clock, 🤷🏼‍♂️
This is perfect. I'm with @Lou Lulu ...my fourth this year, and I'm ten years older now. One step at a time, and smell the flowers. Thank you!

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
Who did you use to transport your baggage from one place to the next and are there multiple options and what is the weight restriction on your bags. I'm from NZ and going next year with two other ladies who are a bit older), thanks in advance.

On the Camino Francés there are several services, Jacotrans is one, almost every albergue will have envelopes available. Ask the hospitaliro which one serves the area best.

Hello, Just read your prep and packing document. I am a 66 year old women who has just finished her first Camino (done over 2 years with 300 km then 500km). I enjoyed the read and agree with all what you said though i had less clothing. Itt was so cold this year , i was wearing it all! and loved having my sleeping bag. I am saving this as a reminder for next year! Thanks for sharing!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello, Just read your prep and packing document. I am a 66 year old women who has just finished her first Camino (done over 2 years with 300 km then 500km). I enjoyed the read and agree with all what you said though i had less clothing. Itt was so cold this year , i was wearing it all! and loved having my sleeping bag. I am saving this as a reminder for next year! Thanks for sharing!
Congrats! Yes, it was cold and I too had all my layers on at times which is why I recommend layers. Interesting that it was warmer in early April than in late April/May. I hope you enjoy your next adventure.

Thanks so much! Great list. Walked in 2018. Norte & Primitivo at 64. Finally headed back for another go at 69. Vasco del interior to Burgos, Francés to Leon, San Salvador to Oviedo then the final stages of the Norte. Hoping I haven’t bit off more than I can chew. Built in rest days… late July to mid September.

Very good points. I use most of them myself

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I have perused many well written posts regarding clothing and equipment, I agree...adapt...and adopt many. It is with concern I notice 'the maximum conditions associated to the clothing...
Hi everyone, Leaving last Tuesday from Santiago airport I saw a lot of pilgrims with backpacks and walking poles. Is it allowed? Thank you! Elvira
Hello fellow pilgrims and travellers... It'll be awhile before my next carry on backpack adventure, but here goes anyhow. I do like my icebreaker gear, but the finer 100% merino tees are not the...
Camino Credential is that with stamps or without
Hi fellow travelers, just day dreaming of future caminos and trips to Europe. Any one have good recommendations for dresses? Ideally knee length (maybe longer), with sleeves. It'll be cool if it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back