Una Menina Peregrina

MarkyD

Aug 13, 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
If anyone is starting the Camino Madrid at this time, they surely would have seen this street scene when going to obtain their credential from the Iglesia de Santiago & San Juan Bautista in Madrid. Each year there are about 20 of these "Meninas", based on the characters festured in the painting of "Las Meninas" by Diego Velázquez. These painted street models all have a simple stylised shape and are then painted with different themes related to society, people and culture.
This year we spotted one for the pilgrims of Santiago. They will be on display until 15th December, then they will be auctioned and some of the money is used to support various charities.

Attachments

• 20211128_154617.jpg
    20211128_154617.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20211128_154635.jpg
    20211128_154635.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

MarkyD

Aug 13, 2018
Camino Francés 31/08/2018 - 20/10/2018
I love las meninas, and look forward to seeing this one. I hadn't realized that they are refreshed each year.
Yes, they are refreshed each year, as well as some of the locations are changed. Here is a link to the gallery, information about the artists and a map of the locations. The street exhibition usually last about 6 to 8 weeks, starting around mid October until the end of November/mid December

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
Here's a picture of the menina peregrina with a plain background for anyone who might want to use it as an avatar. 😉
View attachment 114112
Thank you - it's perfect! I'm using it for a while, at least! I like the school teacherish posture, too.

Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Thank you! I'm using it for a while, at least! I like the school teacherish posture, too.
Keep it! It's adorable and her stance is so appropriate for a lady moderator...(or a bit of an imp like me, so said my mom).🙂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Caminogoat

Apr 5, 2019
USA
CF, El Norte x 4, Primitivo, Porto, Madrid, Ingles
If anyone is starting the Camino Madrid at this time, they surely would have seen this street scene when going to obtain their credential from the Iglesia de Santiago & San Juan Bautista in Madrid. Each year there are about 20 of these "Meninas", based on the characters festured in the painting of "Las Meninas" by Diego Velázquez. These painted street models all have a simple stylised shape and are then painted with different themes related to society, people and culture.
This year we spotted one for the pilgrims of Santiago. They will be on display until 15th December, then they will be auctioned and some of the money is used to support various charities.
Not peregrinas but a few meninas here.
1638287235752.jpeg

ISABEL linares

May 17, 2017
Dublin
camino frances,camino del norte,camino frances
Muy guapa la Menina peregrina.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

cecelia

Wandering for the love and growth of it
Dec 4, 2007
BC, Canada
Here's a picture of the menina peregrina with a plain background for anyone who might want to use it as an avatar. 😉
View attachment 114112
Wow - that's quite an outfit for a peregrina! She's adorable, but not sure I'd like to tackle the camino with all of that going on. Good hat though!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.