• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Trouble with Hospitaleros

pablovergara

Time of past OR future Camino
Madrid to Santiago de Compostela
Anyone had ever encountered any trouble ot unjust behavior from Hospitaleros? If so, what was it and what to do??

1000022743.webp

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I guess you are referring to content in your other thread that got closed. A good thing imo.

But to answer your question : deal with it. Like lots of hospis also have to deal with cranky pilgrims.
Or flight attendants with obnoxious passengers. Or a well mannered customer has to deal with a bad mannered salesperson. Etcetera etcetera.
Less entitlement and more common sense might be of help.

Anyone had ever encountered any trouble ot unjust behavior from Hospitaleros?
No.
Not from a donativo, anyway.
Once I encountered a very cranky guy running a for-profit albergue, though. Clearly he'd been at it one year too long. No big deal...you go with the flow.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On very rare occasions I have experienced less-than-pleasant behaviour, but I do not think it will be right to name any albergue on this forum. Hospitaler@s come and go. In +15 years on various Caminos, I can remember only 2 incidents where it was actually unpleasant,

Edit: For those two places, I have later simply gone to another albergue. Easy. Once I just walked out and to the albergue next door (I was not assigned a lower bed despite I was 70, there were plenty of beds, and me having a balance disease). I let them keep my 10€, as the hospitalero refused to pay me back.

99.999% are very friendly and considerate people who offer their time and hospitality for the best well-being of pilgrims. We should be very thankful for their help and dedication.

Last edited:
I guess you are referring to content in your other thread that got closed. A good thing imo.

But to answer your question : deal with it. Like lots of hospis also have to deal with cranky pilgrims.
Or flight attendants with obnoxious passengers. Or a well mannered customer has to deal with a bad mannered salesperson. Etcetera etcetera.
Less entitlement and more common sense might be of help.
Hello
Not referring to that incident but yet ANOTHER one.. except this one was straight up a bad entitled person with bad intentions that caused me to almost sleep in the streets !
Anyhow.. I'm assuning once I reach the French Way more options will be available..

Anyone had ever encountered any trouble ot unjust behavior from Hospitaleros? If so, what was it and what to do??

View attachment 179787
Nope. I’ve met a few pilgrims I wish I hadn’t.

Having drunk in the Coach and Horses when Norman Balon ruled the jump I can honestly state that I have never encountered a hospitelero/a that hasn’t acted with integrity. Even when they’ve seriously p*ssed me off.

@pablovergara you may have given your horse a sufficient flogging

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello
Not referring to that incident but yet ANOTHER one.. except this one was straight up a bad entitled person with bad intentions that caused me to almost sleep in the streets !
Anyhow.. I'm assuning once I reach the French Way more options will be available..
Woah!!! Have you ever, even for a moment before you dismissed the possibility, considered that it might be you and not them?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Woah!!! Have you ever, even for a moment before you dismissed the possibility, considered that it might be you and not them?
Well I gave him an extra 5€ since thats the only way to get cordiality from some greedy bane peeps.. he indeed changed his tone on me. *shakes head*

Hello

If it is a legal thing ( against the law ) then the way to act is to go to the police and file a complaint. Meaning that when you experienced any kind of violation/ harrassment they can sort it out.
If it was just plain rudeness: suck it up.

It wasnt a comment. It was beyond that or else i wouldnt be posting about it
I was a comment. Your post was clear. They said some things you didn't like. We only know your side of the story. I suspect theirs would differ somewhat. Regardless, a thing was said days ago and here you are still talking about it. Move on. You're only negatively impacting your own camino by going on and on about it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pablo, how is the rest of your camino experience working out?
I ask, both as a pilgrim and as one who has served as hospitalera. It would be so sad if you only have negative experiences. You have travelled a distance, if indeed you live in Mexico... so it has to be quite a commitment for you, the whole project...

Ok, there is such a thing in Spain as a book to write your dissatisfaction. I don't remember right now what it is called. Las hojas or something. You can ask for the book to write your complaint at restaurants, hotels, etc. I think someone will know what I am talking about and elaborate.

It might be more helpful to lodge your complaint in this book.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where has the feeling of "gratitude" and "Thank you for a nearly free bed" gone? As @Tincatinker says, there are plenty of 5* hotels that will happily host people. And laugh all the way to the bank.

"Tourists demand. Pilgrims thanks"

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’d like to hear about a positive experience you’ve had if you are so inclined to share. I won’t assume you’ve only had bad ones on your camino (I hope).

We meet all kinds of people on the camino, some not so pleasant at times, like I do back home. 🤷🏼‍♀️

A large latte at a Costa Coffee in Benidorm, Spain costs around €8. Some say that Costa Coffee prices are slightly higher than in the UK. In general,

So i agree five euros is absolutely extortionate for a bed, shower, a toilet, hot water, somewhere to cook and a roof over your head it's just plain profiteering in my opinion; i feel your pain!
Don't dwell on yesterday you will ruin today!!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

View attachment 179787

Hi Pablo, "what to do?" As many others have suggested, let it go. These experiences seem to be defining your Camino, which is a real shame. You may speak the same language but Spain isn't Mexico and customs/approaches/interpretations may vary. Also, remember everything has a binary. Put these experiences behind you and move forward. It's a new day. Make yours a Buen Camino!

Nobody has to be a volunteer, if someone doesn´t like it, they stop. Nobody has to be a pilgrim either. If occasional rudeness were the worst thing that happened to me , I would count myself lucky.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If so, what was it and what to do??
As I said just now, volunteers are exactly that, volunteers so they wouldn´t be doing it if they didn´t want to. Having said that, they give up a lot of their own free time and they work hard to look after pilgrims, of whom you are one. If their behaviour is not always exemplary, cut them a bit of slack, i.e. be tolerant and ask them politely and quietly if there is a problem. Then move on. The next hospitalero you meet is sure to meet your standards.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€5? €5 doesn’t even get a smile out of me. Some people obviously sell themselves cheap
Its all about money to some. Apparently.
You're totally missing the point. I wonder what ancient pilgrims would think of such shameful behaviors... or how they would be received for lacking coins for the night. I'm calling you out

I was a comment. Your post was clear. They said some things you didn't like. We only know your side of the story. I suspect theirs would differ somewhat. Regardless, a thing was said days ago and here you are still talking about it. Move on. You're only negatively impacting your own camino by going on and on about it.
It was a completely different ordeal. You don't know that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As I said just now, volunteers are exactly that, volunteers so they wouldn´t be doing it if they didn´t want to. Having said that, they give up a lot of their own free time and they work hard to look after pilgrims, of whom you are one. If their behaviour is not always exemplary, cut them a bit of slack, i.e. be tolerant and ask them politely and quietly if there is a problem. Then move on. The next hospitalero you meet is sure to meet your standards.
If they are to volunteer into taking care of pilgrims they shouldnt be cranky or pushing their buttons like how this specific one did with me. If you dont like your job and you are bitter, quit. Dont take it on the travellers who may be tired or even injured or BOTH. Which was precisely my case and yes, I wish to report this one too.

If they are to volunteer into taking care of pilgrims they shouldnt be cranky or pushing their buttons like how this specific one did with me. If you dont like your job and you are bitter, quit. Dont take it on the travellers who may be tired or even injured or BOTH. Which was precisely my case and yes, I wish to report this one too.

I've walked 4+ caminos and the hospitaleros are some of the kindest and generous (and tired!) folks I've encountered. Your response to hospitaleros, and responses on this forum makes me wonder if perhaps you're not emotionally and mentally ready to be on the camino.

Consider how you are the common denominator in these situations.

I've walked 4+ caminos and the hospitaleros are some of the kindest and generous (and tired!) folks I've encountered. Your response to hospitaleros, and responses on this forum makes me wonder if perhaps you're not emotionally and mentally ready to be on the camino.

Do you want to know me and my story and why I have spent close to 1000 dollars to come here?
This hospitalero intentionally closed the doors of an albergue to deny me entry. I almost slept in a park bench in a very cold night (there were no hotels available) And then got literally in my face (twice) when i arrived to the next town where he was working. I dont care who he thinks he is, im reporting this incident.

Well then it stops here for every reasonable contributor.
Seems you will have to solve it all by yourself.
I sincerely hope you can handle your anger issues.
Why is some people here cant accept bad incidents without calling people names or mocking things? Its my thread, you dont have to read or reply.
People online need to chill

Do you want to know me and my story and why I have spent close to 1000 dollars to come here?
This hospitalero intentionally closed the doors of an albergue to deny me entry. I almost slept in a park bench in a very cold night (there were no hotels available) And then got literally in my face (twice) when i arrived to the next town where he was working. I dont care who he thinks he is, im reporting this incident.
And yet some people are calling me 'angry'.. well wouldnt you be?

Again, we only know one side of the story. Hospitaleros aren't in the habit of denying pilgrims entry into an albergue without good reason.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Again, we only know one side of the story. Hospitaleros aren't in the habit of denying pilgrims entry into an albergue without good reason.
I guess 5€ too short for this hospitalero is a good reason to leave a pilgrim out in the cold at night. Straight up EVIL

Do theres a mental and emotional requirement to do the camino? I should've read the small letters.

How about you explain clearly and simply what happened? Then maybe we can get some idea of why it happened.

It is extremely unusual for a hospitalero to refuse admission to an albergue.

How about you explain clearly and simply what happened? Then maybe we can get some idea of why it happened.

It is extremely unusual for a hospitalero to refuse admission to an albergue.
I will tomorrow. If my original post was vague its precisely becuse i didnt want to make a big fuzz about it or escalate it, but it seems people.really want to know whats up. Im at fault in some things, its my first camino and im learning, but also, im injured and had a misfortune that made things harder... things they dont seem to care about when they scream at you (two hospitaleros have btw.. yes, two)
Im actually even considering ending the trip cuz of this

Pablo,
If you are still on the Camino Madrid, you've chosen a much less traveled route. I hope when you get to the Frances, that you'll meet other pilgrims who can give you the support you are seeking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pablo,
If you are still on the Camino Madrid, you've chosen a much less traveled route. I hope when you get to the Frances, that you'll meet other pilgrims who can give you the support you are seeking.
This is when you found me yesterday screaming at the wind 'im through with this small towns!' And yeah I am looking forward to reaching a more transitted route with more options and less issues.

Pablo, there is an app called Alert Cops. download it on your phone, if you already haven't done so.
and use it. not when someone calls you a son of a certain mother, but please do if you are hurt, cold and someone locks you out of an albergue at night.
through the app, you will have contact with the Spanish police, they will instantly know your location and they can support you.

good luck and keep safe.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Two friends and I will be doing the CF together beginning in March. Some expenses might be shared (private lodging perhaps) and some will be individual. To avoid having to pay 3 times at the...
Earlier this month, I began walking from Ponferrada to Santiago with two friends. Although I had walked two previous Caminos, this was the first for both of my friends. This Camino was full of...
The subject of camino trees came up in a chat with another Forum member, and we both thought it would be fun for everyone if there was a thread about our favorite trees along the way, or even in...
Dear Friends, Has anybody a recommendation for a restaurant in Santiago that serves a pilgrims menu, and has a table for twelve! Our Camino family would like to have a last supper! Thanks
I am not a fan of the Camino Francés, I have never walked it and most probabaly never will. (Please don't discuss the pros/cons of this route on this thread). However, despite my strong opinions...
Good morning. Having just returned after completing my camino (Portugese via Porto and central route) I have realised I left my certificates in the hotel. I have contacted them but received no...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back