• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trek Poles at airport

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2024
Can anyone offer advice on trek poles at the airport? I'll be traveling from Miami to Madrid and have no need to check any luggage....only carry on backpack and my poles compact to 20" which can be inside my pack or hooked on outside of pack. I have checked with TSA and American and find mixed information.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can anyone offer advice on trek poles at the airport? I'll be traveling from Miami to Madrid and have no need to check any luggage....only carry on backpack and my poles compact to 20" which can be inside my pack or hooked on outside of pack. I have checked with TSA and American and find mixed information.
Regrettably you’ll find mixed information on here also. This summary written by one of the moderators is excellent:

The rules are clear but not enforced predictably or consistently, even at the same airport.

General advice on here tends to be buy your poles when you get to Spain or check in a cheap bag or tube containing your poles - and anything else you might want to take which cannot go in the cabin.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that they have successfully flown US to Spain every year for decades with their poles in hand luggage.

Toss a coin?

I fly with them attached to my back but under my pack rain cover (which I keep on while traveling) and have never had a problem leaving the US or Spain. I always make sure I have rubber feet on them, not bare metal tips.

That said, I’ve never flown out of Miami with poles so they may see it differently.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I fly with them attached to my back but under my pack rain cover (which I keep on while traveling) and have never had a problem leaving the US or Spain. I always make sure I have rubber feet on them, not bare metal tips.

That said, I’ve never flown out of Miami with poles so they may see it differently.
Whoa. That sounds like a trick! I seriously have my main bag packed like 5 feet away from me right now. Poles and knife in separate bag I check... Just buy your knife in Spain?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Regrettably you’ll find mixed information on here also. This summary written by one of the moderators is excellent:

The rules are clear but not enforced predictably or consistently, even at the same airport.

General advice on here tends to be buy your poles when you get to Spain or check in a cheap bag or tube containing your poles - and anything else you might want to take which cannot go in the cabin.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that they have successfully flown US to Spain every year for decades with their poles in hand luggage.

Toss a coin?
Thank you, Henrythedog. I've viewed the Moderators Post as well. Seems the uncertainty is Real. I was hoping to take my new poles that my sons purchased specifically for my First Camino....and that's why the poles are special! Debating whether I risk it or not!

Nice idea, ShoshTrvls. Since mine collapse to 4 pieces all under 20" and with rubber tips, I may plastic wrap them together and attach them under the Rain Cover.

Thank you, Henrythedog. I've viewed the Moderators Post as well. Seems the uncertainty is Real. I was hoping to take my new poles that my sons purchased specifically for my First Camino....and that's why the poles are special! Debating whether I risk it or not!
If they are THAT special take s risk in checking them in.
I fir one always check my backpack with poles knife and other forbidden stuff in a nylon duffel bag that converts into a little square thingy going into its own pouch and to the bottom of the backpack when traveling is done.
Never had any problems and didn't have to try any tricks to sneak them poles in.
The only rule of the thumb I adhere to is to fly TO my hiking destination on a N/S flight (I'm a little more laxed coming back home).
Good luck and Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I really don't think that hiding the poles under a rain cover (or anything else) will make any difference at all. They will be seen in the x-ray machine!
I’m not trying to “hide” them; of course they are seen in the x-ray. Keeping them under the cover (a) leaves more room in my pack (someone above had said put them in your pack) and (b) keeps them contained, less likely to knock into the back of a seat as you are walking down the plane aisle, etc.

We just flew Portland -Dulles - Madrid with our zpoles in our backpacks carry on no problems. Waiting on our SanSebastian flight now!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I've never taken a chance on carrying poles on the flight. For my first Camino I was traveling alone and checked my poles and Swiss Army knife inside an Ikea duffel along with my backpack. For my second Camino, my wife accompanied me and we checked a small roller bag with non-Camino clothes for use after the Camino (forwarded from Porto to SdC). The poles and knife went in there for the flight, while we carried our backpacks onboard. For my third Camino (Chemin LePuy to Conques) I left my poles and knife at home and carried my backpack onboard the flight. I bought new poles in LePuy and an Opinal knife in Nasbinals. I left them with my daughter when I flew home to the US.

If they are THAT special take s risk in checking them in.
I fir one always check my backpack with poles knife and other forbidden stuff in a nylon duffel bag that converts into a little square thingy going into its own pouch and to the bottom of the backpack when traveling is done.
Never had any problems and didn't have to try any tricks to sneak them poles in.
The only rule of the thumb I adhere to is to fly TO my hiking destination on a N/S flight (I'm a little more laxed coming back home).
Good luck and Buen Camino

N/S == Non-stop or Direct flight????

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Check them or be prepared to lose them at security. You might get lucky - or not. The tungsten steel tips make hiking poles a stabbing weapon.

I usually check my rucksack other poles inside. If I put the rucksack in a bright, colorful nylon laundry bag, it always arrives without drama.

Of course, keep all valuables, documents, medications and electronic items with you. I use a collapsible 16 liter, zip top shopping bag as my “possibles” bag for every manner of thing I might need to pick up on Camino. This bag does double duty as my travel carry on bag.

Hope this helps,

Tom

The never ending question with no real answer
When is No, not No? So many anecdotal reports of carrying on collapsible poles as long as they have rubber tips. It seems to be at the discretion of the TSA agent du jour.
I live in Miami, there is nothing certain at MIA. The answer is, who knows? An ever present source of angst. Perhaps, try to get them through and if unsuccessful, leave plenty of time and be prepared to go back and check them. I wrap mine up and check them with loads of fragile stickers and keep 🤞🤞and 🙏🙏. Fragile at MIA are placed in individual bin and arrive that way at AA in Madrid and come out as regular luggage. If flying Madrid to Santiago they arrive at delicates/fragile different from regular baggage. Good to know, avoids a pre Camino cardiac event.
Buena suerte 🍀, flip a coin 😉, and Buen Camino.
Do let us know how it goes for you.

Since the price of poles in SJPP seems to be going up to almost what it costs to check bags, I would be inclined to check my well-used Leki’s and have the light weight high quality poles that have served me well for many miles. I would be afraid to lose them. And the duct tape that they always carry for me!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've never taken a chance on carrying poles on the flight. For my first Camino I was traveling alone and checked my poles and Swiss Army knife inside an Ikea duffel along with my backpack. For my second Camino, my wife accompanied me and we checked a small roller bag with non-Camino clothes for use after the Camino (forwarded from Porto to SdC). The poles and knife went in there for the flight, while we carried our backpacks onboard. For my third Camino (Chemin LePuy to Conques) I left my poles and knife at home and carried my backpack onboard the flight. I bought new poles in LePuy and an Opinal knife in Nasbinals. I left them with my daughter when I flew home to the US.
I flew St. Louis to Boston to Madrid to Marrakesh, then from Lisbon to Madrid to Boston in my carey-on without any difficulty at all. Then again, I'm 66 with very grey hair, so it's possible it was assumed that I required them to walk...?

Every airport and every TSA agent in the US is different. You may be lucky or you may not.

I think that this pole question was ask 17,234 times before you and that you deserve a special price from the forum.

Congratulations!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My friend and I checked our poles in a small duffel bag and also used having a small checked bag to bring our pocket knives.

An Irish friend got away with it by asking why she couldn't take them on board. When she was told it was the sharp metal tips she asked, in all innocence, what tips - pulled off the rubber cap to show the tip had been removed. Do you NEED the tungsten tip? All they seem to do is make a noise.
I you have to take precious hiking pole with you I'd check them in rather than have them confiscated.

Bottom line - if you like your poles - CHECK your poles. OR, plan on buying a new pair when you get to Europe.

Only purchase what you prefer, with the thought of donating or abandoning them at Santiago. You will have similar security issues on your return journey.

As others have stated - above - there is no correct answer to this. But, it is a 50/50 chance of losing your poles at security every time you pass through security.

Just because TSA in the US might let you on board with them, this is an independent event from security at a Spanish, French, Portuguese or UK airport allowing you to take them on board.

I would not bet my favorite hiking poles on this situation.

Nuff said?

I have the same dilemma. contradictory info says that it is possible but depend on the TSA official. TSA web site des NOT allow poles with carry on.

So one option is for you to but poles in Spain. Store: Decatlon, which exist across Europe.
I am doing that and I am not sure if upon my return I will document my luggage.

I hear that in Europe is not an isue bringing retractable poles with acrry-on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm retired federal law enforcement and I will say this in general, the people who work for TSA would never be hired pre 9/11. Of course the TSA was a result of 9/11. That said according to the disability act a person is allowed a walking aid and does not have to have a letter from a doctor to use a cane, crutch or poles. That puts them in a spot when they try to deny a person carrying such items because they can be utilized as a weapon. Please if that's a concern why is alcohol even served on flights?! Rather than carrying them in a bag, use them in the airport.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I recently wrote a post about this for my blog; I'm asked this question a great deal and I see it asked often on other groups (and I really wish I could take my poles in my carry-on too).

I researched USA, Australia, Canada, UK and Europe (I live in France) and we checked a few major airlines, low-cost airlines in Europe and a few major airport policies. We checked a lot. And apart from Delta Airlines, every one we checked said hiking poles are not allowed in carry-on.

It is true there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of folks bringing poles in their carry-on but the rules are pretty clear. Whilst I might risk an inexpensive pair or poles in my pack, I wouldn't risk my Black Diamonds being confiscated.

I'm not sure I totally understand why my hiking pole is any worse than other objects... but the rules across the board were pretty clear.

TSA allows "mobility assistance devices" but not "walking poles." My experience at 66 is that if you limp amd it looks like a cane you're likely good, but otherwise you may be out of luck. A similarly aged friend with two bad knees and a limp used what would be called a (carved) walking stick and batted about .750

Industry consistency is what is needed. I travel a fair bit globally and I have grown to abhor American airports save for Minneapolis. The TSA refuses ro endorse a specific line of suitcases let's say Samsonite and make everyone who wants to comply have an easier time. I saw in the news today the beginning September 1st in the EU liquids are again limited to 100 ml and must be in a clear bag for xray. Fine... but in Tel Aviv where all my flights begin I can go through security with a 1.5 liter bottle .
It use to be such a pleasure to fly a privilege by some accounts but it is now a loathsome task to bear to get any place that is required to fly.

I researched USA, Australia, Canada, UK and Europe... And apart from Delta Airlines, every one we checked said hiking poles are not allowed in carry-on.
In fact, your research must have missed Canada. The security agency for Canadian airports (CATSA) says on its website that poles ARE allowed. I have carried my folding poles into the cabin in my back pack a number of times over the past 12 years.

I researched USA, Australia, Canada, UK and Europe ... We checked a lot. And apart from Delta Airlines, every one we checked said hiking poles are not allowed in carry-on.
And your research must also have missed one of the major airports in Europe, namely Zurich in Switzerland. Their airport website states explicitly that hiking poles and trekking poles ARE allowed. They are aware that this is not the case everywhere so they recommend transport in checked baggage but this is irrelevant if you don't change planes at a subsequent airport with different rules.

Quote:

Hiking poles
This item is allowed in hand luggage at Zurich Airport. But we are aware that some airlines and/or foreign airports prohibit this item in hand luggage. Therefore, we recommend transport in checked baggage.
It's been like this for many years btw. I emailed them years ago and they confirmed that poles are allowed in cabin luggage at the time. And they were not the only major airport in Europe that I had emailed at the time and where I got the same confirmation back.

The FAQ post that the forum moderators had elaborated continues to be the best source of information about this issue.

Last edited:
I checked my bag with poles on my first Camino. No problem. Then, in 2022, I put my poles in a day bag just in case there was a problem at the airport. They made me check them and my day bag never made it to Spain with my poles. I bought new ones while walking the Ingles, but Madrid airport security wouldn't let me board with them. So, I dumped them in the airport receptacle.

On my next Camino, I'll go back to checking my bag with my poles!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Last summer, we flew through Omaha and Dallas to Madrid. Poles on bag carried on- no problem.
From Madrid to Oviedo- At security we were told the bag must be checked and we were not allowed to carry it on. (This sent us back to the counter and we were told the bag might be delayed as it was getting close to flight but the bag arrived thankfully on time also .) when coming home, the poles were allowed to fly on board from Santiago to Barcelona. We stayed a couple days so again poles passed through security from Barcelona to Chicago but not Chicago to Omaha.in Chicago they said no to the poles on board when we came back through US security.
Lesson- you just don’t know it’s up to the luck of the security agent you get. If you really want them be prepared that you may have to go back to check the bag. (For me personally, it was not worth it to check the bag. I do not use poles- my husband does. You can purchase some there also as I really didn’t want to check my bag for convenience and assurance that I had all my stuff- losing my back pack would be a pain)

Last edited:
when coming home, the poles were allowed to fly on board from Santiago to Barcelona.
How could I forget this 😀?

This year (2024) we had report after report of people who carried their poles inside their backpack or fastened to the outside of their backpack through security at Santiago airport in Spain. Or they reported seeing other people doing so. And some even asked security staff at the airport because they could not believe their eyes and security confirmed that it was allowed.

I am not arguing for or against taking your poles with you in your hand luggage. I am just pointing out that the claim that "the rules are clear", i.e. that poles in hand luggage are prohibited at every airport in every country, is not true, and the claim that those who do so are "just lucky" or "scofflaws" or faking a need to have to rely on a walking aid is not true and actually an insult. These generalised claims have not been true for at least 15 years and they are not true now.

I do maintain that ‘the rules are clear’ - but they most certainly differ both in what they say (between countries and airports within those countries) and in their application.

It’s far from helpful that there is no universal right answer to the perennial question; but it is what it is.

I suspect that Santiago airport’s previous ‘check them in at no charge’ and current ‘take them on board’ policies were/are local pragmatic solutions to the sheer number of times each day that pole-carrying pilgrims check-in.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just an update to my initial question on Trek Poles at US airport:
Just cleared TSA/Checkpoint at Miami WITH MY POLES!!! I put them in a hard backed poster tube and taped a handle on for ease of carrying. I understood that it was a 50/50 shot but if I needed to go back out to check them, at least they were protected.
Thank you ALL for your information and insight! This forum is Awesome.
Onward to Madrid/Irun to my FIRST CAMINO!
So Pumped!

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back