• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling with a cello

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked to Finisterre last year and met with a Israeli guy who was traveling with a Turkish lute. He used baggage transfer for his 'normal' gear but carried his lute in a case with shoulder straps.
A real character, and very popular addition to the evening's entertainment . .

You make it sound (no pun intended) as if you have never done this before. If so, please try a short trip near home and see how that works out. Size of the son? Size of the cello? Size and weight of your other luggage? Will one of you be carrying a backpack for two?

I'm inclined to think that a violin would be easier to transport and take care of than a cello, but to each his own.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
It's not impossible - I think of Anja and harp going to Rome on foot pilgrimage.

But it is a major undertaking to carry such a large and awkwardly shaped instrument.

Nor would I assume that luggage transfer services would be happy transporting such a large and awkward piece of luggage, or guarantee it would be safe being left sitting around in lobbies, never mind possible damage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You pose a most fascinating question regarding the Camino. As a pilgrim, I can’t think of anything much more pleasant than enjoying a nice glass of Rioja in a town square after walking all day and getting serenaded by a cello. However, from a logistical point of view, it strikes me as quite an undertaking with a number of important variables to consider as @MinaKamina points out. From the little bit of research I did, it seems that on average between the weight of the cello and its case, your son will be carrying over 20 pounds and maybe closer to 25 pounds. As a reference point here, I keep my entire pack between 12-14 pounds. Add on varying degrees of terrain difficulty and inclement weather across the Camino and I think you have more than a significant challenge ahead of you. Would I trust a transport company to move my valuable cello daily? Probably not even if they would consider doing it. Pulling a customized trolley might be an option, but I’m not sure such an item exits. Perhaps it’s worth looking into. Good luck exploring this idea further and Buen Camino!

Pulling a customized trolley might be an option, but I’m not sure such an item exits.
Something like a golf bag trolley perhaps? I wonder how well a cello would stand up to the frequent jolting over rocks and uneven ground. Carrying it on one's back would seem safer in that regard though a challenge all the same. Whatever the choice it would seem wise to leave the Stradivarius at home and take the spare instead.

There was a young cellist who made a documentary about taking his cello and playing music that IIRC was at risk of being lost to any kind of *living memory* (it exists on paper, but people so rarely hear it played that they don't have what used to be part of the cultural soundscape in their heads anymore).
For the life of me I can't recall the name of the film now, but give a search... I believe he explains how he managed the practical features.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There was a young cellist who made a documentary about taking his cello and playing music that IIRC was at risk of being lost to any kind of *living memory* (it exists on paper, but people so rarely hear it played that they don't have what used to be part of the cultural soundscape in their heads anymore).
For the life of me I can't recall the name of the film now, but give a search... I believe he explains how he managed the practical features.
Strangers on Earrth. See also this thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...instruments-on-the-camino.83518/#post-1188227

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Even if no actual rain or mechanical shocks be encountered, might not high and/or fluctuating temperatures and humidities damage the instrument or soften the glues, or at the very least create difficulties keeping it in tune? Also, could high humidity in combination with temperature cycling set the stage for mildew? Galicia for example is a particularly moist place but high humidity could be encountered anywhere at any time.

The Camino is not a controlled or highly-predictable environment. The unexpected can create exciting situations.

I wish you good luck!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walking through Birmingham airport after my last camino, I was walking directly behind a young man carry a cello on his back. The main body of the instrument was in the position of a normal rucksack whilst the neck stuck up way above his head. At one point, I thought he was going to smack the cello head on a low beam, but it just went under. As we waited for the shuttle, I told him that it looked as though he had only just avoided the beam. He smiled and said no, he carried his cello like that so often that he knew exactly how tall it was.

Is there a group of cellists in Spain that would loan one of theirs when y’all travel through their respective towns?

Electric cello? Weighs next to nothing. Is there some thing acoustic like this minus the electricity?
I've seen an electric (or battery?) powered cello in Nice, France on the water's promenade being played a number of years ago. I was taken by surprise as they are so odd looking and I'd not seen one before...or since.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
While walking the The Camino Frances in 2011 I met a very nice couple. One of them had a guitar. Every so often we would meet up and there would be a merry tune to round off the day. In the nature of things we lost sight of one another as we walked on.This can happen on the Camino. Anyway, about a week later I met the couple again about 30k from Santiago. I noticed the guitar was gone, "What happened to the guitar"? I enquired. "I'm not sure" was the reply. "I think I may have left it behind me at one of the albergues....." Now losing socks, hats, phones, Swiss Army knives I can understand, But a big acoustic guitar in its own case? That's like forgetting your boots. Is there a moral to this story? I think so. Be careful what you bring on the Camino.....unless you have a support vehicle lurking somewhere or a luggage transportation outfit at your disposal... Buen Camino

If your son travels by air to the start of your camino check the airline rules for carrying musical instruments.

Just want to wish you the best of luck as a former double bass player. I could only suggest wheels ... and a fervent hope your son is very strong. Nothing is impossible heck it's been done in a wheel chair. Is he any good with Donkeys?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I am planning to do the Camino next year with my son and he wants to bring his cello. He wants to perform each evening along the way. We are looking for advice on packing and managing the cello.
Thanks!

I have walked the Camino four times and design on trail. I bring a rake. On trail I always enjoyed musicians. I am an assemblagé artist of repurposed broken instruments. My Carnivale Woman will be with this young musician in spirit. However burdonsome, we shares our gifts. Buen Camino to both of you. 🙏🏽

Attachments

• IMG_7888.jpeg
    IMG_7888.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9072.png
    IMG_9072.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
I play the cello and usually carry it in a hard case on my back like a backpack. To make it comfortable on a long walk you would need a good backpack framework. It weights around 8 kilos, a little more than I carry on a pilgrimage. I’m note sure that sun for many hours is good for the cello. But I think it would be so nice to hear your son play if I was on the camino.

I agree that the idea of playing ( and for locals and pilgrims, hearing) cello in a beautiful town square sounds lovely. But carrying it every day for five weeks or so and hoping it stays dry( rain is almost a sure thing) , and safe from damage from temperature swings and possible drops or falls on uneven or slippery terrain, especially downhills, sounds a bit ambitious.

FedEx exists in Spain and their website has a form for estimating shipping costs. Perhaps starting in Pamplona and shipping it a few times between larger cities with FedEx offices might make more sense. It would add to the expense some and he would play in fewer cities. And perhaps to play in some smaller places, taking a cab for occasionally would work. Just a thought.

Hi, I am planning to do the Camino next year with my son and he wants to bring his cello. He wants to perform each evening along the way. We are looking for advice on packing and managing the cello.
Thanks!
Are you sure he really does want to do the Camino?

Hauling a cello strikes me as a very effective method of curtailing or even avoiding a Camino

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
While walking the The Camino Frances in 2011 I met a very nice couple. One of them had a guitar. Every so often we would meet up and there would be a merry tune to round off the day. In the nature of things we lost sight of one another as we walked on.This can happen on the Camino. Anyway, about a week later I met the couple again about 30k from Santiago. I noticed the guitar was gone, "What happened to the guitar"? I enquired. "I'm not sure" was the reply. "I think I may have left it behind me at one of the albergues....." Now losing socks, hats, phones, Swiss Army knives I can understand, But a big acoustic guitar in its own case? That's like forgetting your boots. Is there a moral to this story? I think so. Be careful what you bring on the Camino.....unless you have a support vehicle lurking somewhere or a luggage transportation outfit at your disposal... Buen Camino
Back in 2003 I saw a group of Italians with a Spanish guitar. They said at first it was enjoyable but later it became a penance - whoever had transgressed got to carry the guitar until the next "sinner" was chosen.

Thanks!
Would the other residents of where you are staying have a say in as to whether or not they would wish to listen to the performance?
A friend and I took harmonicas on one pilgrimage and we made sure we only played as far from others as possible. And she's a good musician.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Thanks!
If your goal is to share music, could your son record various pieces playing them at home on his phone, and then take a small blue tooth speaker and broadcast in the evenings? Of course, he would need decent wifi to do it, unless he wanted to just turn his phone volume up.

Thank you
Would the other residents of where you are staying have a say in as to whether or not they would wish to listen to the performance?
A friend and I took harmonicas on one pilgrimage and we made sure we only played as far from others as possible. And she's a good musician.
I’m keeping a low profile as my reaction to virtually non-existant infection didn’t find universal acclaim.

I generally appreciate strolling musicians carrying their instrument prominently as it gives me the chance of avoiding enforced jollity without causing offence.

A cello though is a marvellous instrument and I assume that anyone so dedicated that they would take it on Camino has a reasonable degree of proficiency.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Back in 2003 I saw a group of Italians with a Spanish guitar. They said at first it was enjoyable but later it became a penance - whoever had transgressed got to carry the guitar until the next "sinner" was chosen.

De gustibus non est disputandum of course but the idea of someone playing an instrument in an albergue is as attractive as the idea of a Camino family. Not my cup of tea.
Especially when that group starts singing.
For that reason only I choose private accomodations or lesser travelled Caminos where an albergue with three pilgrims is considered a crowd.

De gustibus non est disputandum of course but the idea of someone playing an instrument in an albergue is as attractive as the idea of a Camino family. Not my cup of tea.
For that reason only I choose private accomodations or lesser travelled Caminos where an albergue with three pilgrims is considered a crowd.
Not my cup of tea either hence I often chose to walk alone in winter

Last edited:
Aside from the weight, I would be very concerned about possible damage from a fall. There are sections that are tricky to navigate with a lightish backpack, rocky uphills or downhills, muddy sections that are quite slippery. I have a violin, which is much smaller and lighter, but would never consider taking it on the Camino. On the other hand, my husband has a travel guitar, which he takes on car trips. If something happens to it, he wouldn't be heartbroken. I love cello music and I'm sure many people would enjoy hearing him play.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So practical suggestions from a string teacher (and yes, I play cello as well as fiddle):

If he really wants to do this:
1) Arrange main bag to be transferred each day, and walk with the cello. Do not trust the cello to the baggage transfer - even if there is no ill intent, it will likely be chucked into a van under a pile of other bags.
2) Bring a cheap, student instrument, not a good cello.
3) From everyday life and walking ca 45min each way with a cello on my back fairly regularly in the last couple of years, I strongly recommend the backpack attachment from BAM. This is cushioned, and has a proper waist/hip strap in the same way as a regular hiking backpack would (with a small pocket that you can put stuff in). From experience, this fits onto non-BAM cases but may take a bit of wangling. If you need a four-point attachment, the Gewa equivalent may work but is less ergonomically friendly.

Honestly, I occasionally tuck a plastic recorder into my backpack but having considered bringing my fiddle I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a good idea - if I want to pick up some Galician tunes I'll head over to the area especially for that, and I can always record some things on my phone if I want to take them back. The chances of playing every night are very slim.

Also, heads up, you'd be paying an extra seat on the flight(s) if they even allow the instrument to travel, and may have difficulty with trains and coaches.

Couple of echos on points, and an observation.

1. Unless he's played his cello outdoors over multiple days already, he really isn't tracking how difficult it is to keep a wooden instrument and its bow in working condition. Also, many albergues aren't blessed with central air and/or central humidity control.

If he has a carbon fiber cello, his bow will still likely need restrung at least once on a 5 week Camino, assuming you're walking the Frances.

2. Most luggage transport services along the Camino consist of young men playing Tetris with backpacks. *If* they accept a cello *at all*, they're not going to treat it as fragile.

Observation. Is your son intending to busk along the way, or is he willing to *ask* before playing, and do it for *free*? I am pretty confident that there are local regulations regarding foreigners trying to do things for pay, even Schengen members like yourselves.

So practical suggestions from a string teacher (and yes, I play cello as well as fiddle):

If he really wants to do this:
1) Arrange main bag to be transferred each day, and walk with the cello. Do not trust the cello to the baggage transfer - even if there is no ill intent, it will likely be chucked into a van under a pile of other bags.
2) Bring a cheap, student instrument, not a good cello.
3) From everyday life and walking ca 45min each way with a cello on my back fairly regularly in the last couple of years, I strongly recommend the backpack attachment from BAM. This is cushioned, and has a proper waist/hip strap in the same way as a regular hiking backpack would (with a small pocket that you can put stuff in). From experience, this fits onto non-BAM cases but may take a bit of wangling. If you need a four-point attachment, the Gewa equivalent may work but is less ergonomically friendly.

Honestly, I occasionally tuck a plastic recorder into my backpack but having considered bringing my fiddle I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a good idea - if I want to pick up some Galician tunes I'll head over to the area especially for that, and I can always record some things on my phone if I want to take them back. The chances of playing every night are very slim.

Also, heads up, you'd be paying an extra seat on the flight(s) if they even allow the instrument to travel, and may have difficulty with trains and coaches.
So true. Pay for an extra sear or have your instrument put in the aircraft hold.
I've just been to Italy with my violin. Fortunately I chose an airline that allowed a violin to be placed in the overhead locker. (Not all of them do) Getting on and off trains with a small case on wheels and a violin on my back was challenging at times.
I didn't go hiking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I once worked in marketing & fundraising for a string quartet. Classical music, old instruments.
When travelling, the quartet becomes a quintet, because the cello needs its own seat in trains, planes and automobiles. This may add considerable costs and complications to any travel arrangement.

How will this cello travel from Germany to Spain and the starting point of the unspecified Camino? How will it return, and if the need arises, is there a plan B in case the owners have to break up their trip?

Oh a rousing chorus of Kumbaya never hurt anybody . . . much 😇

Thanks!
Dane Johansen has a documentary on walking the Camino with the cello. It's called strangers on the Earth. A journey on the Camino they Santiago. He carried his cello in a special Italian case I believe, but he also had a film crew with him. Who knows. Maybe you could contact him and find out what he can recommend! I was on the Camino same time he was in 2014.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Dane Johansen has a documentary on walking the Camino with the cello. It's called strangers on the Earth. A journey on the Camino they Santiago. He carried his cello in a special Italian case I believe, but he also had a film crew with him. Who knows. Maybe you could contact him and find out what he can recommend! I was on the Camino same time he was in 2014.
He's easy to find on Google.

I don’t have any helpful suggestions, but as challenging as this can be, as a classical pianist I’m jealous that at least a cello is portable. I wish you luck in figuring it out!
I once attended an evening drama performance at my daughters' school. On the same evening, in a different hall, there was a meeting of a junior harp club. One mother was struggling to get her small child's medium sized harp out of the back on their Volvo estate and on to its wheelie rack and was heard to say "Why you couldn't settle for the piccolo I'll never understand!"

You pose a most fascinating question regarding the Camino. As a pilgrim, I can’t think of anything much more pleasant than enjoying a nice glass of Rioja in a town square after walking all day and getting serenaded by a cello. However, from a logistical point of view, it strikes me as quite an undertaking with a number of important variables to consider as @MinaKamina points out. From the little bit of research I did, it seems that on average between the weight of the cello and its case, your son will be carrying over 20 pounds and maybe closer to 25 pounds. As a reference point here, I keep my entire pack between 12-14 pounds. Add on varying degrees of terrain difficulty and inclement weather across the Camino and I think you have more than a significant challenge ahead of you. Would I trust a transport company to move my valuable cello daily? Probably not even if they would consider doing it. Pulling a customized trolley might be an option, but I’m not sure such an item exits. Perhaps it’s worth looking into. Good luck exploring this idea further and Buen Camino!
Thanks for your thoughtful response. We are in initial stages of consideration.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
You make it sound (no pun intended) as if you have never done this before. If so, please try a short trip near home and see how that works out. Size of the son? Size of the cello? Size and weight of your other luggage? Will one of you be carrying a backpack for two?

I'm inclined to think that a violin would be easier to transport and take care of than a cello, but to each his own.
Thanks, these are all important points. Regarding violin- he does not play this instrument and they are not really interchangeable, but thanks.

I have walked the Camino four times and design on trail. I bring a rake. On trail I always enjoyed musicians. I am an assemblagé artist of repurposed broken instruments. My Carnivale Woman will be with this young musician in spirit. However burdonsome, we shares our gifts. Buen Camino to both of you. 🙏🏽
Thank you for sharing. What you do sounds amazing

I don't mean to offend you, @VNightingale, believe me (my wife is a hiker AND a musician - baroque recorder, piano and she is a language coach for opera singers), but just to bring a little fun here: when I read this, I couldn't think of anything else than this:

That being said, I would really love to meet you and your son playing some good music on the Camino! Good luck with your preparations. I really wish you will be able to do this. And I like unusual ideas!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks!
Doesn't sound like a great idea

Another note of caution for airports: some years ago in the airport in San Sebastian I was the involuntary observer of a very heated discussion between a guy trying to check in with a cello and the ticket counter gal. It went on for a long time and got pretty heated. Of course I don't know the details, but it makes me think it would be a good idea to have some written airline guidance about baggage rules in hand just in case the ticket agent decides to object. A lot of times when employees don't know the rules or what to do they say no by default. I have encountered this with DMV here in the US and customs overseas -- ultimately successful but delayed and inconvenienced.

Thanks!
In my opinion, don't take it unless you plan on using a pack pack forwarding service, and even so you will worry about damage to the instrument each day. On my first Camino I took along a recorder, a copy of the Tao De Ching, and a few extras like rainpants and an extra pair of pants and shirt. Three days later when I got to Pamplona I mailed it all home.

As many say above the risk of damage from the weather and/or accident could quite high. But also given that most pilgrims walk pretty much similar distances (hence the forming of "Camino families" ) you will likely have much the same captive audience each evening. Until you get to Sarria of course, then you get a whole new audience.

Thanks!
I'm almost not sure if this post is a joke, but just in case it isn't - DON'T

Sounds nice. We have enjoyed pilgrims who played their guitars and ukuleles.

While not a Cello, Oliver the violin pilgrim from Canada, had a very good friend carry a miniature recording studio.

Apparently you need a letter from the Bishop to play in churches! Then again, Laurie Lee, who recounted his experience in "As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning" discovered that permits were needed to busk in each town or city.

he had a van and a film crew, and usually the cello was in that van....

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-has-taken-on-the-camino.76509/#post-1061850

Thanks!
Why don't you and your son contact Dane and ask his opinion and advice. He is a Cellist with the Cleveland Symphony (we don't usually bother to add "Orchestra" because everyone one already knows--or you did if you grew up in Cleveland).
Dane has a Facebook page and also is an instructor for Juilliard's pre-college program. He's probably friendly, too.

Could there be confusion here between the word cello and the Spanish word for stamp. If your son is planning to take a stamp your problems are over. Buen Camino
In standard Castillan Spain, cello and sello are pronounced quite differently, unlike in American Spanish, so I don't think that confusion is likely.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
That is a valid point:

"Hey, can you play the song Far Away?
"Emm, not sure.. how does it go?
"No, can you play it far away.. the further the better!"
"Can you play your cello solo ... so low we can't hear it!"

In standard Castillan Spain, cello and sello are pronounced quite differently, unlike in American Spanish, so I don't think that confusion is likely.
Unless you stamp on it . . . My nephew Paul was, age 12, learning cello at school. My brother went to get him up one morning and found the instrument smashed on the floor beside the bed. It was presumed that Paul had risen in the night and trodden on it.
The remains were bundled up in a garbage bag to take back to school.
He returned home later that day - with a new cello and the message that "Teacher said they do that, sometimes cellos just explode!"
Yeah, right.
He gave up learning soon afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, coming down Alto del Perdon I slipped, the rucksack on my back cushioned me, no harm done. A fall with a cello in its case, carried rucksack style, wouldn't do well.

Years ago, coming down Alto del Perdon I slipped, the rucksack on my back cushioned me, no harm done. A fall with a cello in its case, carried rucksack style, wouldn't do well.
I believe in the film, Dane is shown carrying his cello in a hard case, perhaps to provide some protection against such falls, although I don't know how much protection a hard case provides.

If the hard case is carried rucksack fashion and the material has a shiny surface one slide down at speed!

Cellist here. I think this is a n interesting but impractical idea.

Everyone worried about damage of rain etc doesn’t need to worry if it’s in a good BAM case. Orchestras travel all over the world with their instruments.

But a cello in a $2,000 BAM case in a $800 outer liner will weigh 40 pounds, and while safe is not carryable on the Camino.

Not to mention not everyone appreciates music just because someone wants to supply it. The prelude to Bach’s first cello suite is widely known and might be tolerated but 5 minutes might be plenty for most people. I’d certainly not choose to impose my playing on others.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.