• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • October the 12th 2004 I posted the first post here on this forum. 20 years have passed. Thank you for being such a good group of people and for hanging around. More here in this thread. All the best from Santiago, Ivar

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling & general advice from South Africa to Madrid

Landa

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2025
We will be doing the Camino (French way) in June 2025.

○ when is the best time to buy airline tickets?

○ which airline will you recommend?

○ will it be better to buy direct or via agency?

□ How long before our departure date must we apply for our Visums?

□ Any advise will be appreciated!

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
Sorry that you haven't had any responses yet. I know that there are members here from South Africa who should have some answers for you. Hopefully they will see this thread.

We will be doing the Camino (French way) in June 2025.

○ when is the best time to buy airline tickets?

○ which airline will you recommend?

○ will it be better to buy direct or via agency?

□ How long before our departure date must we apply for our Visums?

□ Any advise will be appreciated!
How airlines market and price country to country and region by region varies widely. My experience here in the US would probably be of little help to you in SA.

However, I would book directly with whatever airline you choose, should you have a problem, the airline will probably tell you to go back to the agency instead of resolving the problem directly as that agency is the booking agent not the airline.

Also, Google Flights is a great resource showing options that you may not get from an airline. If you find what you’re looking for, you can then book directly with your airline of choice.

Wish I could have been more help, I’m sure members from SA will chime in soon.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How airlines market and price country to country and region by region varies widely. My experience here in the US would probably be of little help to you in SA.

However, I would book directly with whatever airline you choose, should you have a problem, the airline will probably tell you to go back to the agency instead of resolving the problem directly as that agency is the booking agent not the airline.

Also, Google Flights is a great resource showing options that you may not get from an airline. If you find what you’re looking for, you can then book directly with your airline of choice.

Hi there. I am not from ZA but worked in the ZA airline market for a number of years in this arena (marketing and pricing), albeit more than 6 years ago. 6 years is a long time in the airline industry so this is very much top level. Take advice from ZA folks but a few things.

Re direct v agency. You need to check. In Europe and North America direct is definitely the way to go. Things can get a little different outside those regions for reasons which I won’t bore you with, but of course the value of the ZAR has more than halved vs the EURO since 2010, which means that folks have struggled to pay online in one hit, or even get credit, and agencies have offered the opportunities for folks to pay instalments to manage the cost. So if you can pay in one hit, direct may be the way to go, but you want to stagger payments then agencies may be an option if they offer it. Or maybe some airlines offer instalments online I don’t know. Agencies in some countries still retain quite a lot of power so you may want to check this, as they may offer lower fares. That said if thing go wrong, dealing direct with airlines is always easier and maybe cheaper! Fares are often very similar between airlines and agencies, but change fees and ancillaries (i.e. baggage) can vary wildly.

Flying to Europe, JNB has the most flights followed by CPT. Most of the pax are returning Europeans as opposed to ZA originators, so flight prices are largely aimed at these customers, who are normally quite high end. So prices can be high but not excessive as there are alot of travel options. It is an early booking market as most customers are travelling on leisure. CPT is more leisure than JNB but customers often use JNB as a gateway to and from other southern Africa countries such as Zambia and Namibia. So in other words the flights get busy quite early, so as soon as you have your dates and a visa I would press buttons. Check flights on Skyscanner, Google Flights, or Kayak. JNB tends to be a little cheaper than CPT even if they have the same pricing structure as the cheaper fares sell quickly. Have a look at semi flexible options and see what the change fees are, but bear in mind that as well as a change fee you will have to pay a fare differential. Change fees also be higher via an agency than direct.

I have had many ZA friends complain about VISA’s so get cracking!

June not a bad time to travel as outside European school holidays.

Most airlines will be fine so check prices. SAA were having issues when I was working in the market. No idea how they a few doing now! You can either look at direct, via the Middle East or via another European hub.

Hope abv makes sense and not too much info.

Where in ZA are you from btw. The domestic airline market in ZA was pretty good with flights plentiful and fares low.

I am searching from UK and am seeing £542 round trip on Qatar Airways via Doha to Madrid for some random dates in June via Skyscanner… about ZAR 12300. That’s a good fare in my view.

Last edited:

Hey, thanks a bunch for your help!

Hi there. I am not from ZA but worked in the ZA airline market for a number of years in this arena (marketing and pricing), albeit more than 6 years ago. 6 years is a long time in the airline industry so this is very much top level. Take advice from ZA folks but a few things.

Re direct v agency. You need to check. In Europe and North America direct is definitely the way to go. Things can get a little different outside those regions for reasons which I won’t bore you with, but of course the value of the ZAR has more than halved vs the EURO since 2010, which means that folks have struggled to pay online in one hit, or even get credit, and agencies have offered the opportunities for folks to pay instalments to manage the cost. So if you can pay in one hit, direct may be the way to go, but you want to stagger payments then agencies may be an option if they offer it. Or maybe some airlines offer instalments online I don’t know. Agencies in some countries still retain quite a lot of power so you may want to check this, as they may offer lower fares. That said if thing go wrong, dealing direct with airlines is always easier and maybe cheaper! Fares are often very similar between airlines and agencies, but change fees and ancillaries (i.e. baggage) can vary wildly.

Flying to Europe, JNB has the most flights followed by CPT. Most of the pax are returning Europeans as opposed to ZA originators, so flight prices are largely aimed at these customers, who are normally quite high end. So prices can be high but not excessive as there are alot of travel options. It is an early booking market as most customers are travelling on leisure. CPT is more leisure than JNB but customers often use JNB as a gateway to and from other southern Africa countries such as Zambia and Namibia. So in other words the flights get busy quite early, so as soon as you have your dates and a visa I would press buttons. Check flights on Skyscanner, Google Flights, or Kayak. JNB tends to be a little cheaper than CPT even if they have the same pricing structure as the cheaper fares sell quickly. Have a look at semi flexible options and see what the change fees are, but bear in mind that as well as a change fee you will have to pay a fare differential. Change fees also be higher via an agency than direct.

Most airlines will be fine so check prices. SAA were having issues when I was working in the market. No idea how they a few doing now! You can either look at direct, via the Middle East or via another European hub.

Where in ZA are you from btw. The domestic airline market in ZA was pretty good with flights plentiful and fares low.

I am searching from UK and am seeing £542 round trip on Qatar Airways via Doha to Madrid for some random dates in June via Skyscanner… about ZAR 12300. That’s a good fare

I am searching from UK and am seeing £542 round trip on Qatar Airways via Doha to Madrid for some random dates in June via Skyscanner… about ZAR 12300. That’s a good fare in my view.
Thank you for sharing your advice with me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Well, at 70 I am finally doing my Camino! I will be walking from Porto to Santiago, arriving there on Oct 21st. I will be in need of a Transfer from Santiago to Porto on Oct 22, to my Hotel...
So the camino bit me. Did the portugese central this year and now looking to do the primitivo next year. Easiest route from UK (Bristol) appears to be fly to Madrid and then train or coach to...
Hallo, we might be staying in AirBnB, that does not have a luggage storage option. And we are doing only a bit of the Portuguese Camino Coastal, Spains side. Any suggestion on which transfer...
We will be doing the Camino (French way) in June 2025. ○ when is the best time to buy airline tickets? ○ which airline will you recommend? ○ will it be better to buy direct or via agency? □...
I leave today! Flying into Barcelona and will then spend the entire next day training to SJPDP through Narbonne, Toulouse, and Bayonne. Got a couple points of concern I'd love to get input on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back