• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Santiago de Compostela to San Sebastian de Garabandal

Renee C

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Primitivo "2021"
Hello my fellow Pilgrams,
I will be walking the Camino Portugues Coastal Route with a group which finishes Oct 14th this year. I would like to carry on by myself to San Sebastian de Garabandal via bus, train, or plane afterwards but the route does not seem to be clear and with limited options. Will any of you experienced travelers please help me find the easiest way to get there? And is it safe for a woman to be travelling on her own in these parts?

Any suggestions are welcome and I thank you in advance for your help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello my fellow Pilgrams,
I will be walking the Camino Portugues Coastal Route with a group which finishes Oct 14th this year. I would like to carry on by myself to San Sebastian de Garabandal via bus, train, or plane afterwards but the route does not seem to be clear and with limited options. Will any of you experienced travelers please help me find the easiest way to get there? And is it safe for a woman to be travelling on her own in these parts?

Any suggestions are welcome and I thank you in advance for your help.
Try Rome2Rio dot com. Good luck and buen camino!

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
I had a look, out of simple curiosity to see where San Sebastian de Garabandal, which I'd never heard of, is.
The place looks stunning but all the routes suggested involve long taxi journeys to the village.

Having found myself having to hitch-hike earlier this year despite R2R's information that a journey from Plasencia to El Torno could be done by bus and taxi, I'd suggest that you try to contact someone in the village to check the taxi situation in advance, and book one.

Or maybe a tour from Santander would suit you eg https://touristjourney.com/tours/mo...de-garabandal-pilgrimage-tour-from-santander/

No problem at all travelling around Spain as a solo female. Just the normal precautions about money/passports and care in crowded places. The only thing I still find awkward is eating alone in the evening., so I usually eat in the afternoon, like the Spanish do. But that's me, and just a couple of encounters with waiters unused to solo female diners.

It looks like San Sebastián de Garabandal is a pilgrimage center in its own right. Here is a pretty good website that lists transportation options, not from Santiago, but I think you can figure out how to get from Santiago to Santander, which is what the website uses as a starting point. One bus a day to a place that’s 5 km from Garabandal, with the recommendation being taxi after that.

Looks lovely — is this a destination for some post-camino R&R, or are you interested in the pilgrimage destination itself (if you would care to tell us, of course!).

I had a look, out of simple curiosity to see where San Sebastian de Garabandal, which I'd never heard of, is.
The place looks stunning but all the routes suggested involve long taxi journeys to the village.

Having found myself having to hitch-hike earlier this year despite R2R's information that a journey from Plasencia to El Torno could be done by bus and taxi, I'd suggest that you try to contact someone in the village to check the taxi situation in advance, and book one.

Or maybe a tour from Santander would suit you eg https://touristjourney.com/tours/mo...de-garabandal-pilgrimage-tour-from-santander/

No problem at all travelling around Spain as a solo female. Just the normal precautions about money/passports and care in crowded places. The only thing I still find awkward is eating alone in the evening., so I usually eat in the afternoon, like the Spanish do. But that's me, and just a couple of encounters with waiters unused to solo female diners.
Yes, it's not easy to get to but I'm sure well worth it. Great advise! I'm going to look into a tour. I like the sound of that!! And I like the idea of eating in the afternoon rather than the evening by myself. Thanks.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It looks like San Sebastián de Garabandal is a pilgrimage center in its own right. Here is a pretty good website that lists transportation options, not from Santiago, but I think you can figure out how to get from Santiago to Santander, which is what the website uses as a starting point. One bus a day to a place that’s 5 km from Garabandal, with the recommendation being taxi after that.

Looks lovely — is this a destination for some post-camino R&R, or are you interested in the pilgrimage destination itself (if you would care to tell us, of course!).
Yes, there are pilgrimages that go to Garabandal. You should check out the history of Garabandal. I'm interested in both - a little spiritual journey after the physical one.

Most read last week in this forum

I'll be starting my first, short Camino in Ponferrada on a Monday, and have some flexibility prior to that. I'll have spent a few days in Madrid upon arrival in Spain—I'm there often and know the...
Is there any way I can send my backpack with a service like Jacotrans to an albergue if I’m staying in a different place? Is that considered bad form? My problem is that Jacotrans doesn’t offer...
Hi, I am flying into Bilbao end of July. Have 2 nights booked, but have not decided among my Camino Route options. Wondering how easy it will be to get a bus to Irûn or perhaps a bus to Oviedo or...
I was walking from Porto in May with a backpack, not planning to use a backpack service. On day 3 I injured my knee when I pulled some ligaments plowing through a heavy section of sand when the...
Hi all, I'm in the process of booking train tickets for my way home after I finish the Primitivo in August. Generally, I'm okay navigating the Renfe website, but am looking for help from the...
I searched but didn’t find the answer to this one. I’m only gong as far as Leon this time. I was going to send a suitcase from sjpp to Leon via correos but obviously they aren’t in France...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back