• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from SJPDP to Zubiri

Kiddstu

Time of past OR future Camino
First timer
I’ll arrive at SJPDP on the afternoon of September 3. Of like to then go straight to Zubiri.

I contacted monTransport.com but the quotes I’ve received have been between 116€ to 302€ with seems like daylight robbery for 50km.

Is there enough traffic to hitchhike along those roads between those towns?

Or is there a much cheaper option than the figures I mentioned?

Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have a look at public transport options on Google maps or Rome2Rio apps. Google maps says there's an ALSA bus at 13.45 (destination Pamplona) that will take you there.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I’ll arrive at SJPDP on the afternoon of September 3. Of like to then go straight to Zubiri.

I contacted monTransport.com but the quotes I’ve received have been between 116€ to 302€ with seems like daylight robbery for 50km.

Is there enough traffic to hitchhike along those roads between those towns?

Thank you.
Perhaps a restart after an injury or continuing an aborted attempt from SJPdP?

Easier to get to Zubiri from Pamplona.
Then going back one step-- Depending on a few things, usually easier to get to Pamplona than SJPdP.

But if you are set on going to SJPdP then to Zubiri, I'd take the 116€ one and be happy about it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Apropos of nothing why would anyone log on to this forum, pose a rather puzzling question and log-off 8 minutes later? If, a big if, I wanted the answer to that question I think I’d probably hang tough and wait for revelation
Oddly, some people (obviously not me 😂) don't spend all their free time on the forum.

If I were new here I wouldn't expect to be answered so quickly.

Briefly overcome by an unusual generosity of spirit earlier today I decided to ‘unignore’ my long list of participants. It was approaching the size of the Mumbai telephone directory and like the surviving Chuckle Brother I was only getting one side of the conversation. (Doesn’t translate transatlantically, don’t ask)

A few hours later, back we go again and there’s a new entry. Plus ca change, as they say in the posher parts of Wigan.

Oddly, some people (obviously not me 😂) don't spend all their free time on the forum.

If I were new here I wouldn't expect to be answered so quickly.
I guess our new friend has left themselves an interesting opportunity. Log on tomorrow and discover many minutes of reading time and an almost complete absence of an answer to their question.

My suggestion: two days walking, accommodation and food costs circa €45 a day, comes in well under the cheapest taxi quote 😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not that it matters but I assume you want to do the what many wrongly assume is the "full" Camino but without the strenuous day one and the treacherous walk down to Zubiri on day two.

Google maps says there's an ALSA bus at 13.45 (destination Pamplona) that will take you there.
I do not see bus service between SJPdP and Zubiri on either rome2rio.com or ALSA.
Edit: ALSA may have the service after all. See my post #34 below.

On the ALSA site spell St as Saint or SJPdP will not be found. BTW, treat ALSA and Conda as the same company when searching; ALSA is owner of Conda (maybe partially only).

You can take an ALSA bus to Roncesvalles in the afternoon and then an Autocares Artieda bus to Zubiri the next morning or at noon except Sundays and holidays. Artieda also has two buses daily stopping in Zubiri from Pamplona, also Mon-Sat.

Apropos of nothing why would anyone log on to this forum, pose a rather puzzling question and log-off 8 minutes later? If, a big if, I wanted the answer to that question I think I’d probably hang tough and wait for revelation
I've seen many newbie posters comment on how quickly our members respond compared to other forums.

Briefly overcome by an unusual generosity of spirit earlier today I decided to ‘unignore’ my long list of participants.
Thanks. I'll try to be nicer. ;)

Last edited:
I guess our new friend has left themselves an interesting opportunity. Log on tomorrow and discover many minutes of reading time and an almost complete absence of an answer to their question.

My suggestion: two days walking, accommodation and food costs circa €45 a day, comes in well under the cheapest taxi quote 😉
I would go the other way and hire a limousine and get dropped off in the middle of shocked pilgrims.

Just get out with my pack and start walking.

Then never admit it was me as people ask me about it down the road.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Have a look at public transport options on Google maps or Rome2Rio apps. Google maps says there's an ALSA bus at 13.45 (destination Pamplona) that will take you there.
That’s the return bus that is jampacked with pilgrims headed from Pamplona to SJPDP earlier! As for hitchhiking, you’d have better luck on the Valcarlos route since it more closely follows a major road, though neither are really ideal. Perhaps BlaBlaCar will have options (people post a few days before, not weeks or months).

As for the cost of a taxi, 1.5€ to 2€ a km is not outrageous due to the mountains your route would cover, but anything over 100€ is definitely out of line. You’d likely be able to grab one that just dropped off pilgrims from Pamplona for far cheaper, but that’s problematic due to a Spanish driver picking up fares in France. Possible, but not guaranteed.

But back up a bit and explain why and how you are arriving in SJPDP to begin with since you may be able to reroute earlier in your journey and avoid this segment altogether

Up front, back in 2016, I had to take a cab from Orisson to the point where the path leaves the road up on the mountain. That cost 35 euro. Why? The cab had to come from SJPdP to Orisson to pick me up, get me up the 10 km and then return to the town. Total drive was about 32 km. So, roughly 1 euro / km.

Looking at this, 116 euro does not seem to far out of line...plus, my example is 8 years old.

Not that it matters but I assume you want to do the what many wrongly assume is the "full" Camino but without the strenuous day one and the treacherous walk down to Zubiri on day two.

I do not see bus service between SJPdP and Zubiri on either rome2rio.com or ALSA. BTW, treat ALSA and Conda as the same company when searching; ALSA is owner of Conda (maybe partially only). Also on ALSA site spell St as Saint or SJPdP will not be found.

You can take an ALSA bus to Roncesvalles in the afternoon and then an Autocares Artieda bus to Zubiri the next morning or at noon except Sundays and holidays. Artieda also has two buses daily stopping in Zubiri from Pamplona, also Mon-Sat.

I've seen many newbie posters comment on how quickly our members respond compared to other forums.

Thanks. I'll try to be nicer. ;)

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Express Bourricot also offer transport from SJPdP to Roncesvalles. Not quite as far as you want to go, but it may be easier to get onward transportation to Zubiri from here

Sorry everyone. I never realised there were any replies. I thought I’d receive an email notification if there were any.

I’m in Australia so sent that in the middle of the night doing all my planning. Finally got my kids to sleep and thought I’d check the forum to see if there might be a reply.

I got myself a plant ticket to Paris and also a train to SJPDP. I’m following my sisters who will be a couple of days ahead of me and will be making their way from Barguete to Zubiri (walking) the day I arrive in Paris. My plan is to get down there to meet somewhere to walk with them.

My trip, like theirs will only go for about ten days and will be a taster.

Return to Paris made sense because on the way back I will most likely catch up with some friends I have who live near Paris.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but the ALSA website lists a daily bus from SJPdP to Pamplona- it stops off at Zubiri
It does look like Zubiri is on the route, I expected that but for many dates I entered, including September 4th, the website delivered the message "Sorry! There are no available routes for the trip you have entered."

Sorry everyone. I never realised there were any replies. I thought I’d receive an email notification if there were any.

I’m in Australia so sent that in the middle of the night doing all my planning. Finally got my kids to sleep and thought I’d check the forum to see if there might be a reply.

I got myself a plant ticket to Paris and also a train to SJPDP. I’m following my sisters who will be a couple of days ahead of me and will be making their way from Barguete to Zubiri (walking) the day I arrive in Paris. My plan is to get down there to meet somewhere to walk with them.

My trip, like theirs will only go for about ten days and will be a taster.

Return to Paris made sense because on the way back I will most likely catch up with some friends I have who live near Paris.
If it’s easier to get to Pamplona from SJPDP then that would work too.

Is the road quite busy? I’ve hitch hiked many times in my younger years around Europe so am fine with that too. It is always a nice adventure… and sometimes quick if there are enough cars parking through the area.

Getting a taxi doesn’t seem that adventurous, almost feels like I’m cheating. Hitch hiking seems a little less cheating.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Thanks for coming back. It’s likely that the bus to Pamplona is your least costly and most practical solution. A great city to spend time waiting for your sisters
I could find some chilled beers to great them with in Pamplona. Or I could start walking back to Zubiri and meet them along the path.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hola

September 3 - search on busbud.com
Sjpdp to Pamplona - depart 1:45 pm - arrives in Pamplona 3:30 pm.
Cost about 23 Euros.
Conda.es is the operator.

If you can get on the bus then - kindly - ask the driver if he minds to stop in Zubiri as you are to meet your wife there.

If he cant help you go to Pamplona and get in a taxi to Zubiri.
According to Rome2rio.com it is a 20 min. drive and cost about 30 Euros.
Total cost 50+ Euros.

There is a bus from pamplona to Ronchesvalles that stops in Zubiri if you ask the driver.
It is operated by: It only runs a few times a day/week so I don't think it is an option.

Alternativly - take a taxi from Sjpdp to Zubiri knowingly that you tried all you could to find other ways, but there wasn't any options.

Enjoy your Camino and remember;
The Camino might not give you what you want, but it will give you what you need.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Instead of taking the final leg of your train trip to St Jean Pied de Port you can get off in Bayonne. From there you can get a bus to Pamplona. Either same day (if you arrive in Bayonne early enough) or I recommend spending the night in Bayonne, which is a nice city with a beautiful cathedral to visit and get on the bus the next day.

The bus leaves at 13:45, takes 1:45 minutes, and costs 22€.

Yes, the bus is “limited stop”. As I recall it’s only licensed to pickup/ drop off in Roncesvalles
Exploring more I see that from SJPdP ALSA/Conda allows you to book to any of Valcarlos, Roncesvalles, Burguete and Pamplona (but not from any Spanish town to another). However, if you check the connection from SJPdP to Pamplona you will see a linked message saying "5 stops" and these are Valcarlos, Roncesvalles, Burguete, Espinal and Zubiri (in that order). Checking for SJPdP to either Espinal or Zubiri you get the message "Sorry! There are no available routes for the trip you have entered."

It looks to me that you can be let off in any of the five stops including Zubiri. I think the bus company messed up their programming. I believe if @Kiddstu can get an early train to SJPdP and make the 13:45 ALSA/Conda bus he'll be in Zubiri in about an hour and a half. It's best if he can find a sure thing though.

Or I could start walking back to Zubiri and meet them along the path.
This sounds like a wonderful moment waiting to happen.

Plus, going to Pamplona gives you a little leeway in case of any sort of (air, rail or bus) delay.

If everything is on schedule, then you walk towards Zubiri that day. Otherwise, just let them meet you in Pamplona.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back