• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train travel mid Oct/Nov

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, '12; Frances, '14; Port, '15; Frances, Norte, Fisterre, '16; Ingles, Fisterre/Muxia '17
Hey veteran pilgrims - of which I am one - is it common in mid October for all fast trains from Madrid to Leon to be “sold out” six weeks out from travel? It’s been 10 years since I have done a Camino this late in the year & didn’t remember having this issue. Also, I will be arriving in Santiago first week of November & it seems there is only one train from Santiago to Madrid at 7 a.m. & it’s “sold out” on my day. Has it been common that the full train schedule back to Madrid closed the end of Oct? I know, I can take a 9-10 hour bus back or fly! This is just not what I was expecting! At least the Parador is about half price & that is my treat to myself for my birthday! 😃 Just looking for comments on your experiences!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Have a look what trains are running this week; it’s highly likely that the same trains will run in a month’s time. RENFEs process for confirming trains defies logic. I’m on an AVE Barcelona to Zaragoza in early October which was on sale two and a half months ago, whilst the local train I need (which has run at the same times every day since time immemorial) has just been released with ten days to go.

Last edited:
I think that it's because the tickets have not yet gone on sale.
I hear you! Six weeks out that’s what I thought but now it’s less than 4 weeks & still nothing. I bought a late afternoon ticket that can be changed hoping something opens up! 🤷‍♀️

Have a look what trains are running this week; it’s highly likely that the same trains will run in a month’s time. RENFEs logic in confirming trains defies logic. I’m on an AVE Barcelona to Zaragoza in early October which was on sale two and a half months ago, whilst the local train I need (which has run at the same times every day since time immemorial) has just been released with ten days to go.
🤷‍♀️

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
This particular line has been particularly late in getting posted the last year or so.
Funny - since an hour ago they just now have posted trains for 11/1 - 11/4. I need 11/6 so I guess I need to wait a few more days before I book a flight! 🙏

Renfe?????

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Last year for a trip with students in January I was checking daily. Already had our plane tickets though. Not as many travelers or pilgrims to compete with in January.

Edit:renfe is the name of the train network in Spain that you are trying to book with.

Hey veteran pilgrims - of which I am one - is it common in mid October for all fast trains from Madrid to Leon to be “sold out” six weeks out from travel? It’s been 10 years since I have done a Camino this late in the year & didn’t remember having this issue. Also, I will be arriving in Santiago first week of November & it seems there is only one train from Santiago to Madrid at 7 a.m. & it’s “sold out” on my day. Has it been common that the full train schedule back to Madrid closed the end of Oct? I know, I can take a 9-10 hour bus back or fly! This is just not what I was expecting! At least the Parador is about half price & that is my treat to myself for my birthday! 😃 Just looking for comments on your experiences!
Don't worry. I had the same concern,. Plenty of trains will be made available. Just keep checking back about 3-4 weeks before your trip. Also -- I happened to read on this site some GREAT advice from a veteran Pilgrim that they book 2 trains (one a couple hours later than the other) just in case of a flight delay or a hang up in customs. Just be sure when you double book, you buy the cancel-for-any-reason tickets which, you can cancel on line with a click (I used Trainline app for my purchases) up to 15 minutes before the train's departure).

Most read last week in this forum

So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
Hi everyone. I’m flying back to Chicago from Madrid after walking the CF in late November. I’ll be taking a cab to a hotel near CDG airport to fly out next day. It appears to be a long distance...
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m...
Hello, I am new here. My husband and I plan to walk the Camino in Spring of 2025. In preparation of this I have been researching and reading. I came across a map which was interactive. It showed...
Hey veteran pilgrims - of which I am one - is it common in mid October for all fast trains from Madrid to Leon to be “sold out” six weeks out from travel? It’s been 10 years since I have done a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back