• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top 10 Reasons To Walk The Kumano Kodo And Everything You Need To Know To Earn A Dual Pilgrims Certificate.

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
I recently completed my third of the 5 Kumano Kodo Routes along With Mika, my Japanese Wife. Have compiled information for those interested in Kumano, Shikoku 88 Temple, and Nagasaki “Hidden Christians” pilgrimages:

1. How The Kumano Kodo Is Different From The Camino.

2. Everything You Need To Know To Earn a Dual Pilgrims Certificate.

There is too much information to post here but I will provide a link and give you the Top 10 Reasons To Walk The Kumano Kodo:

1. It’s the best way to experience Japan and its people.
2. Beautiful mountain walking and nature
3. Experience onsens (natural hot baths)
4. Enjoy traditional Japanese Food
5. Experience Ryokans and Minshukus
6. Earn a Dual Pilgrim Certificate
7. Open your mind. Experience Shintoism
8. Doesn’t require too much time. 2-14 days
9. A weak Yen makes it relatively inexpensive
10. Experience Japanese toilets

There is an explanation for each of the 10 Reasons as well as the other posts on the Kumano Kodo at:

There are also posts on the Shikoku 88 Temple Pilgrimage and new Nagasaki “Hidden Christians” sites pilgrimage.

Happy to help those interested in a pilgrimage in Japan.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll check the link, but I hope you address two topics:

1. Markings
2. Should a Pilgrim who speaks/reads absolutely 2 words of Japanese even consider this?
1. It is well marked. There are maps readily available
2. Plenty of pilgrims in Japan speak no Japanese. Today you can use google translate and sign language to get by.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
1. It is well marked. There are maps readily available
2. Plenty of pilgrims in Japan speak no Japanese. Today you can use google translate and sign language to get by.
:::chuckle:::I was hoping youd mention in the posts what the markings were, but no matter.

As long as I don't need to make a phone call, I suppose. But I don't tend to use GT...not necessarily accurate, if one of the speakers uses a lot of idioms.

Thanks for the info

:::chuckle:::I was hoping youd mention in the posts what the markings were, but no matter.

As long as I don't need to make a phone call, I suppose. But I don't tend to use GT...not necessarily accurate, if one of the speakers uses a lot of idioms.

Thanks for the info
The markings on the Kumano Kodo are signs with Kumano Kodo printed in English and Japanese Chinese symbols. The 88 Temple has red arrows and red pilgrims (henros) with walking sticks and sedge hats.

I recently completed my third of the 5 Kumano Kodo Routes along With Mika, my Japanese Wife. Have compiled information for those interested in Kumano, Shikoku 88 Temple, and Nagasaki “Hidden Christians” pilgrimages:

1. How The Kumano Kodo Is Different From The Camino.

2. Everything You Need To Know To Earn a Dual Pilgrims Certificate.

There is too much information to post here but I will provide a link and give you the Top 10 Reasons To Walk The Kumano Kodo:

1. It’s the best way to experience Japan and its people.
2. Beautiful mountain walking and nature
3. Experience onsens (natural hot baths)
4. Enjoy traditional Japanese Food
5. Experience Ryokans and Minshukus
6. Earn a Dual Pilgrim Certificate
7. Open your mind. Experience Shintoism
8. Doesn’t require too much time. 2-14 days
9. A weak Yen makes it relatively inexpensive
10. Experience Japanese toilets

There is an explanation for each of the 10 Reasons as well as the other posts on the Kumano Kodo at:

There are also posts on the Shikoku 88 Temple Pilgrimage and new Nagasaki “Hidden Christians” sites pilgrimage.

Happy to help those interested in a pilgrimage in Japan.
Thank you for the link.I am thinking and planning for next march/April

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm planning to do it when I go back to Japan. The information will be very helpful. Thank you. How easy do you think a single person to find reasonably priced accommodations? It was easy in Camino.
The reason no 10 made me laugh 😁.
Google translation between Japanese and English can create 'fantastic' - nonsense in other words - conversations. Don't do it. As I'm originally from Japan, I don't know how foreign visitors manage, but where there are foreign visitors, things are written in Japanese, English, Korean and Chinese, though you may find some strange English. You'll always find the names of this station, the previous station and the next station in Romans in the platform and the doors open for you. There's always an announcement when bus reaches at a bus stop.

I have done both Kumano Kodo and 88 Temple Pilgrimage. Kumano Kodo is easy because one of the route takes three days, and the walk qualify for Dual Pilgrimage certificate.
The 88 Temple pilgrimage (about 6 years ago) was done in October but it was too hot for me to walk. For lodgings I depended mostly on ryokan type. You have to make reservation at least a day early or the same day in the morning because you not only secure a room but also have to tell the owner whether you will have dinner. That way the owner knows how many will eat dinner and go grocery shopping. So you have to use your phone. Perhaps you can ask the current host to make a call for you if you know where to stay next day.
In Japan real estate is premium so roads are narrow, and train tracks are single lane except large cities and near each station. So walking along the road sometimes can be less than safe. You need to be aware of that. But most drivers drive very carefully. I found the majority of Japanese pilgrim come on buses. I saw only handful of Japanese walking pilgrim. If not on a bus with a group they show up in their car or motorcycle/scooter. I started walking but after couple of weeks I started taking trains to the city and then walk up to the temples. Except a handful temples in the cities, most temples are in the mountains.
It was so warm for me to climb mountains with my backpack in October in Shikoku, I did not finish in one go and went to Hokkaido to cool me down. I returned 2years later to finish all. Shikoku island is in south of Japan (warm) so they can harvest rice twice a year.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm planning to do it when I go back to Japan. The information will be very helpful. Thank you. How easy do you think a single person to find reasonably priced accommodations? It was easy in Camino.
The reason no 10 made me laugh 😁.
Google translation between Japanese and English can create 'fantastic' - nonsense in other words - conversations. Don't do it. As I'm originally from Japan, I don't know how foreign visitors manage, but where there are foreign visitors, things are written in Japanese, English, Korean and Chinese, though you may find some strange English. You'll always find the names of this station, the previous station and the next station in Romans in the platform and the doors open for you. There's always an announcement when bus reaches at a bus stop.
I walked 10 days on 88 Temple alone. Prices are typically per person in minshukus and ryokans and I listed in the Hiw the Kumano Kodo is Different From The Camino the average daily cost of ¥12,964/$82.75/€76.06. Kohechi and Iseji was significantly cheaper at ¥8,500/$54.26/€49.8.

Now is a great time to walk as the yen is very weak against the $ and €

Most read last week in this forum

I recently completed my third of the 5 Kumano Kodo Routes along With Mika, my Japanese Wife. Have compiled information for those interested in Kumano, Shikoku 88 Temple, and Nagasaki “Hidden...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back