Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too hot in August?

sarah368

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 24
I am looking to do my first Camino in mid August. I want to do a very quiet route so I chose from Ourense to Santiago.
I have read that on the Camino Sanabres it can go over 35° but this seems to be the more southern areas. Am I right? Would Ourense to Santiago be cooler? I'm Irish and would melt in 35° heat!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Potentially it could rain the whole time, or it could be 35+, it's impossible to tell. On the CF in October we were still getting 35 degree days. It can easily go the other way though, generally the North will be cooler but maybe not as cool as people think.

Starting the VdlP in August from Seville would be insane but up in Galicia a lot cooler. It is unlikely to rain then, hot but not unbearable. More importantly, there will be shade and shorter distances between towns and villages. Set out early and carry water.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh great. I thought I was going to have to abandon the idea of the Camino all together. I might add a night so the distances are more manageable before noon and in the evening!

I might regret it but I think going to take the chance. I can always hunker down if it's blisteringly hot. Might buy one of those sun umbrellas too. I've heard good things about them.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I might regret it but I think going to take the chance. I can always hunker down if it's blisteringly hot. Might buy one of those sun umbrellas too. I've heard good things about them.
I did a little bit of research. I found an article about sun umbrella vs. regular widely available rain umbrella. The article talked about sun protection and coolness. They are about comparable. I don't remember where I saw this. Just that the research was done in Australia. My plan is to just pick up a plain old umbrella as soon as the weather requires it. One less thing to carry around, if I don't need it. I did however buy a little handsfree umbrella holder on Garage Grown Gear. It straps to the backpack shoulder strap. It's small and light. If I do get an umbrella, I won't have to hold it all day.

I did a little bit of research. I found an article about sun umbrella vs. regular widely available rain umbrella. The article talked about sun protection and coolness. They are about comparable. I don't remember where I saw this. Just that the research was done in Australia. My plan is to just pick up a plain old umbrella as soon as the weather requires it. One less thing to carry around, if I don't need it. I did however buy a little handsfree umbrella holder on Garage Grown Gear. It straps to the backpack shoulder strap. It's small and light. If I do get an umbrella, I won't have to hold it all day.
Ah here is one of the articles I read, quote: "Indeed, a study by dermatologists at Emory University in Atlanta found that standard rain umbrellas can block at least 77 percent of UV light [Source: JAMA Dermatology]. Black ones did the job especially well, blocking about 90 percent of UV rays. But overall, sun umbrellas (those marketed specifically to block UV rays) offered the most protection, blocking more than 99 percent of UV rays." https://health.howstuffworks.com/sk...n-carrying-an-umbrella-protect-your-skin-.htm

90% (black rain umbrella) versus 99% sun umbrella - That's not bad. Unless I was prone to skin cancer, I wouldn't worry too much about the difference. I am a sunscreen user and would have some on even with the umbrella. I was going for more of the shade effect.
I can't find the Australian article now. But the linked article says the same thing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I carry a small folding regular umbrella. You need to have one hand free to use it, of course, but I have found that for an occasional summer rain, or some relief from the sun, I don't mind stowing away one walking stick.

I carry a small folding regular umbrella. You need to have one hand free to use it, of course, but I have found that for an occasional summer rain, or some relief from the sun, I don't mind stowing away one walking stick.
I also carry a small regular umbrella on my spring and fall Caminos. I only use one hiking pole anyway, so hold it in my other hand when needed, propping it on the back of my backpack. I prefer doing that to using hands free clips as I can better angle it for wind and rain. I do not use it for sun.

Potentially it could rain the whole time, or it could be 35+, it's impossible to tell. On the CF in October we were still getting 35 degree days.
You can find the normal climate data for Ourense here, and the extreme values for August here. Normally it would rain on an average of 3.3 days, so it's unlikely to rain the whole time, but @davejsy's prediction of high temperatures is more realistic. The August average maximum is 30.6 deg C, so about half of the days could exceed that.

For comparison, the normal climate data for SDC can be found here.

I walked last year from Ourenze, towards the end of spring, and used a trekking umbrella I bought from Ivar's shop as both a parasol and paraguas. It was well worth the effort of carrying it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am looking to do my first Camino in mid August. I want to do a very quiet route so I chose from Ourense to Santiago.
I have read that on the Camino Sanabres it can go over 35° but this seems to be the more southern areas. Am I right? Would Ourense to Santiago be cooler? I'm Irish and would melt in 35° heat!
Hi - my sister and I are Irish too and we did parts of the CF in August last year. We had days of 35+ heat but there was some shade and we added on days to shorten the hours we were walking so try to account for that. While we found it hot - especially wearing our backpacks - it wasn’t unbearable. We also took lots of breaks, drank lots of water and tried to be at our destination by noon. It also doesn’t get light until around 7am so unless you’re comfortable walking in the dark earlier factor that in too as you’re planning your daily itinerary. Buen Camino.

We walked the Via last month and our hands-free UV umbrellas saved us one day from the scorching sun. We were so pleased that we had decided to bring them. We purchased them from Ivar had them shipped to Australia for training walks. At the time, the main concern was the weight - each umbrella weighs 600g. But they provided great UV protection, having a silver reflective outer shell and black inner skin. The umbrellas are very strong and can withstand heavy gusts of wind. The only weakness is in the locking collar that swivels to lock the umbrella in the open position - this swivel can break if not treated with care.

Hi - my sister and I are Irish too and we did parts of the CF in August last year. We had days of 35+ heat but there was some shade and we added on days to shorten the hours we were walking so try to account for that. While we found it hot - especially wearing our backpacks - it wasn’t unbearable. We also took lots of breaks, drank lots of water and tried to be at our destination by noon. It also doesn’t get light until around 7am so unless you’re comfortable walking in the dark earlier factor that in too as you’re planning your daily itinerary. Buen Camino.
Oh that's great to hear. I'm also heading to Athens in July so I will get some practice in that heat!
I do plan to be out and walking by 6.30 do this will help. Thanks a mill for the reassurance.

Do it.
The days are long and you can start early before the heat, IF it gets too fierce.
There is plenty of shade once you have walked out of Ourense...I do recommend you start that day early. Whichever route you take it's a hike up hill. Just take as many days as your walk time will permit.
IF you have the chance make the last day in to SDC the short 10k from Reina Lupa (great albergue) at A Susana and do it early. Buen Camino

I used the Euro Schirm Telescoping Handsfree Umbrella that Ivar sells in his store. It has straps to attach to the side of your pack when not in use. The canopy is wide and UV protective. It is very easy to attach to shoulder straps to be handsfree when walking. Attachments included. I loved it! Used it for sun protection and rain. Also available on Amazon.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I used the Euro Schirm Telescoping Handsfree Umbrella that Ivar sells in his store. It has straps to attach to the side of your pack when not in use. The canopy is wide and UV protective. It is very easy to attach to shoulder straps to be handsfree when walking. Attachments included. I loved it! Used it for sun protection and rain. Also available on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_8891.jpeg
    IMG_8891.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
Hi Sarah,
Spain is hot in August, but Ourense to Santiago is up north, so from mid August you should be ok. Could be a lot of pilgrims though, and you can never be sure about the heat.
Buen Camino

Irish? August will be hot and miserable. I'm from the USA, Arizona desert. It would be comfortable for me. You won't be there long enough to become accustomed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

You might want to check out CaminoWeather.com. I just looked up Ourense - Santiago starting on August 15th, and there was only one day in the past 15 years when the temperature reached 34C. But you can expect 30C highs to happen, that seems like a reasonable expectation to me.

Most read last week in this forum

Unfortunately yesterday (06.09.24) my girlfriend lost her beloved sunglasses, somewhere between Rionegro del Punta and Mombuey. Please keep an eye for them, gracias!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back