• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three section telescoping vs. folding poles.

CaryB

Time of past OR future Camino
What is most prominent on the trail? I have a pair of three section telescoping poles. They don't fold into thirds but slide longer or shorter. They are great but still quite tall when compressed. Folding poles collapse for smaller carrying but don't seem as sturdy. Should I just take my long poles and be done with it or purchase a folding pair when I arrive. I leave in the morning.

Thanks for the feedback. And if I were to purchase there...where from in SJ.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use telescoping poles.
Fizan Compact 3. Very light.
Though they may not be as strong as folding poles, not sure.
Can folding poles be adjusted for length? (quite important)

I've had the same Fizan telescoping poles since I bought them in Leon in 2017, they've had a lot of use with no problems. They're extremely lightweight and very adjustable. I have used the folding ones.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
What is most prominent on the trail?
@CaryB, I suggest a better question would be "What, in your experience, is a better type of pole".

You won't get consensus in this Forum but it will help you make a choice perhaps because of a reasons you haven't thought of. It is a frequently debated topic on this Forum with lots of firmly held opinions.

On the trail, in my opinion, most poles are probably used by people who haven't given them much thought and probably don't use them very well either. For many people poles are incidental cheap things to be picked up anywhere and discarded in Santiago, without regard for what is a good pole and what benefits poles can provide.

I have used telescoping poles for 3 years. But 15 days ago I arrived in Santiago and spent 3 days in the same albergue. When leaving, my poles were not in the container anymore...
Therefore, I bought folding poles (Alpin Loacker carbon), in order to be able to keep them in my backpack when staying more than 1 night in an albergue.
According to me, the choice rely upon several factors:
Folding poles are generally more expensive, but could be carried in a backpack. Therefore, if you plan to always walk with poles, choose telescoping ones: they are more sturdy and cheaper.
If you plan to walk sometimes hands free (namely on a flat way), choose folding poles. In order to carry them in your backpack, they should be light (carbon).
My advice is also to prefer cork handles.

@Robo : "Can folding poles be adjusted for length? (quite important)"
Yes they can because there is one telescoping section.
In SJPP, you can buy them somewhere in sports shop:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Further to my earlier post, for those interested in my opinion, there might be 2 of you, I much prefer the PacerPoles for their function, and they are 3 piece telescopic. Not pack-friendly but I don't compromise on my choice re function.

Not cheap but if I spend $6,000 net (+ some updated gear) per Camino of 60+ days every year or 2, the additional cost of my preferred poles which last for years is a rounding-error, as it also is for other occasional new gear. The only alternative to PacerPoles is custom built poles.

I have very old Leki Makalu telescopic poles and frankly I am happy with them. I can store them on the side of my backpack in minutes. I change the rubber every few years. The most important feature for me is that I can adjust their lenght.

Let me add that when I (rarely) meet other hikers with poles in the nearby mountains, I see that most of them do not use them correctly. This is much more important: first, they do not adjust them to the right length for their height, or they use them in the wrong way.

I suggest to watch a few of the many videos on youtube that teach how to use them, to ensure you regulate and use them correctly. Finally, they are often gripped the wrong way, which in the event of a simple fall can cause thumb injuries.

Last edited:
I had not used poles on my Caminos, but did use them while in the Alps.
I have relatively cheap folding aluminium poles, that are lightweight, short and quick to unfold or collapse. Height adjustment is simple, but not as variable as on the telescoping ones.

The most important thing is, IMHO, the handle, that must be well fitting for your hands.

HTH
Roland

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Another user of Fizan Compact 3 poles here. I used them for 3 caminos and multiple hikes at home. I'd say they are nearing something of 3000km of use. Still work, but don't look pretty anymore.

I feel that there are some weaknesses with telescope poles (or just that model). I had multiple occasions where due to bigger temperature difference during the day the "locking mechanism" got loose a bit. Nothing dramatic, but its weird if on of your poles "shrinks" by a few cm during the day. Once I identified the problem, no issue anymore, just check and re-tighten or adjust a few times a day.
Also on one occasion they would not come loose anymore at all. I fear i put them in storage when wet and some kind of rust occured (and i know that they are aluminium and should not rust). Anyways, WD40 did the trick and i still use them today.
So i guess if you keep those things in mind they are very fine poles.

As to the folding ones, i see them in use for more serious trekking and running. They are usually more compact when folded, the seem more sturdy and i guess the two problems i had can't happen with them. Which comes at the disadvantage of a heavier weight.

So i guess it depends on what you want of the poles, either choice has its merits.

I had not used poles on my Caminos, but did use them while in the Alps.
Me too. I do not find them useful when walking on a gently sloping or paved road. For me, they add effort to the arms without any real benefit. On the other hand, they are extremely useful on exposed and steep trails, up and downhill (but their length must slightly be adjusted).

It may be different for people with unstable balance or heavy backpacks.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I started out more than a decade ago using Leki three-section telescoping poles. IMHO, these are among the major brands from which others are judged. But, as others pointed out already, they do not compress small enough for my packing or carrying needs. Plus, the aluminum alloy is relatively heavier.

When I could afford it, I migrated to Black Diamond Carbon Fiber FLZ sectioned poles that are connected with flexible silicon sittings. These are WAAY lighter, and collapse to a much smaller size for packing or carrying. Once learned how to adjust the silicon connectors, life was good.

These higher end poles are available in fixed lengths (mine are 120 cm when assembled), or in adjustable models. The weigh nearly nothing. Something like half a pound, for the pair.

On adjustable models of the Black Diamond carbon fiber poles, the topmost section is usually the adjustable part. These poles are better for using with tents or tarps as they can be adjusted longer than 135 cm - usually. The fixed legnth poles cannot. But the longer adjustable poles are relatively heavier - but still lighter than conventional aluminum alloy telescoping poles.

Hope this helps.

Tom

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What is most prominent on the trail? I have a pair of three section telescoping poles. They don't fold into thirds but slide longer or shorter. They are great but still quite tall when compressed. Folding poles collapse for smaller carrying but don't seem as sturdy. Should I just take my long poles and be done with it or purchase a folding pair when I arrive. I leave in the morning.

Thanks for the feedback. And if I were to purchase there...where from in SJ.
I use black diamond carbon cork poles - light and comfortable. I agree that the ability vary the length is valuable. And as far as collapsing down, I’ve learned how to take mine completely apart and pack as three sections each - this saves 2-3” on overall collapses length when telescoping. Buen Camino!

I had telescoping poles when I first began walking Caminos in 2015, but they kept slipping all the time. I was constantly trying to fix them in positions. Finally, on the last day, one of them got stuck in an extended position and we have never been able to fix it. So, got some cheap Z-fold poles with cork handles and they have been great. They made it through 4 Caminos and then I got a new pair last year. At 39€, it is a bargain and they fit in my pack for travel as a carry-on.

You have all been helpful and your opinions swayed my decision. Yay.
I will take the poles I currently have at home. While they do not compress to a short form, they are incredibly good for me. I know how to use them, I can set them to the exact height measurements I need and they have cork handles. Now I hope I get them there through securities...my "assisted walking devices".
Many thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had telescoping poles when I first began walking Caminos in 2015, but they kept slipping all the time. I was constantly trying to fix them in positions. Finally, on the last day, one of them got stuck in an extended position and we have never been able to fix it. So, got some cheap Z-fold poles with cork handles and they have been great. They made it through 4 Caminos and then I got a new pair last year. At 39€, it is a bargain and they fit in my pack for travel as a carry-on.
This was the exactly the reason I switched from telescoping poles to folding poles. I used Leki telescoping poles for several years but after much use, found one pole kept slipping and I would notice that one pole was now shorter than the other, fix it and move on, only to have it happen again. I finally replaced them with Leki folding poles, carbon with cork handles, and what a revelation! The most important improvement besides being slightly lighter, was that once I had my settings, all I add to do was open the poles and I was ready to go, I didn't have to lock in the two segments as I did on the telescoping poles. They stored easily in a outside pocket of my pack and when I wanted to use them, I would just reach behind me pull them out, open the up all while walking and without having to check the measurement. Also, the cork was an improvement over the previous grip, maybe it absorbed sweat better, I'm not sure, but it felt better as I used them.

After once almost leaving them behind at a stop, I realized that if I wasn't using them, I should just fold them back up and keep them in my pack whenever I stopped.

I tend not to use them for the entire walk, usually start without them unless the start is up a steep incline, add them on hills and often put them away for a bit after a few hours unless needed. One thing I've found is that when I use them my fingers are less likely to feel swollen as they usually are after 2-3 hours of not using them - I think the swinging motion of the poles keeps the blood circulating better. That and the benefit to the knees are why I keep using them, but sometimes put them away just to not feel always encumbered - it's much easier to snap a picture when you don't have to work around a dangling pole or take it off entirely. I've also wondered if they might be useful to beat off a wild animal, but fortunately have not had an occasion to test that one, hahaha!

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked many Caminos and I have mixed feelings about this topic. I usually try to book private lodgings in recent years when I walk on less traveled Caminos as I prefer to feel confident I...
I’m just two weeks away from my next Camino, and of course, I’m in full-on research mode—scrolling through every forum I can find (yes, that includes Reddit). One thing I’ve noticed? The number of...
Hi Everyone, Grateful for this community as my wife and I are planning our first Camino after 13 years of longing to go! We will be walking in mid-May to mid-June and I have a few questions...
This is from Greek Travel Pages but ruling should apply to Spain and give pilgrims a better deal when booking accommodation court ruling
Back on the Frances and hope to get to Santiago this time. This is my 3rd part of this Camino, 1st to Logrono 2022, 2nd to Leon 2023. After a bit of a hectic day getting to Leon from my home in...
As I have been recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease I feel like I want to walk another Camino. We did the Frances and very much loved it. My wife said find a path with infrastructure so...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.