• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three Blancas???

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
I'm going through the photos I took last June in the Monastery of Santa María la Real, Nájera. I found another "Reyna" Blanca, which makes three. Can one of you (probably Kathar1na) sort them out for me?
The first photo is of the one in the Panteón de los Infantes, and the information given with it says it is the cover of the sarcophagus of Blanca Garcés (1135-56), daughter of García Ramírez, wife of Sancho III and mother of Alfonso VIII. The second photo says that it is the tomb of "La Reina Doña Blanca de Castilla Mujer de Don Sancho Deseado de Castilla". The third photo is of another tomb on which is the inscription: "LA REYNA DONA BLANCA MUJER DE DON SANCHO REY".
There are too many Sanchos, and seemingly three Blancas.

Attachments

• DSCN0206.JPG
    DSCN0206.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN0213.JPG
    DSCN0213.JPG
    291.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0214.JPG
    DSCN0214.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 12
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1) Blanca Garcés (1135-56), daughter of García Ramírez [King of Pamplona], wife of Sancho III [King of Castile] and mother of Alfonso VIII

2) La Reina Doña Blanca de Castilla Mujer de Don Sancho Deseado de Castilla

Same as #1. See Wikipedia article for #1. Blanca's body was moved so there is both a sarcophagus and a tomb.​

3) LA REYNA DONA BLANCA MUJER DE DON SANCHO REY
I haven't completely figured this out and Peg is looking towards going for a walk now. However check out these:​

Last edited:
Solution: #1 and #2 are the same Blanca and #3 is really a Placencia.

Translated clips from

Sancho IV Garcés, king of Pamplona (1054-1076)

King Sancho was buried, along with his wife Placencia, in the royal pantheon of Santa María la Real de Nájera.
Here's the English translation of part of
Over the years, the identity of King Sancho's wife has been confused. It seems that a misinterpretation of the texts may have confused the name Placencia with that of Blanca (CIHM 6, 24).

BTW, Sancho IV died after being thrown off a cliff. My guess is probably very soon after.

Also, Bert had a question on another thread about the figures on #1’s sarcophagus. A translation from
On the tomb of the queen, made of sandstone and resembling a two-sided tomb lid, a bas-relief was sculpted depicting the queen lying on her funeral bed, accompanied by two angels who were carrying her soul to Heaven, with the inscription "REGINA DONNA BLANCA" appearing below. On the right side of the tomb is represented Sancho III the Desired, with a crown, tunic and sad appearance, and consoled by several courtiers, with six mourners appearing on the right of the scene, while on the left side are represented two groups of women. On the cover of the tomb was sculpted the Pantocrator and the apostles, with six apostles represented on one side of the seated Christ, and another six on the opposite side, and on the tomb was sculpted the following epitaph, of which only a few remains are visible today: [Latin omitted by Rick]

About the pantheon (translated)
As a result of these reigns, the Royal Pantheon was established in the Monastery of Santa María La Real de Nájera, where 5 kings, 7 queens, 19 princes, 1 duke, many knights with titles of count and important figures are buried, distributed in the Royal Pantheon, Cave of the Virgin, Nave del Evangelio, Chapel of the Cross, Cloister of the Knights, Cloister and Chapel of the Vera Cruz.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm going through the photos I took last June in the Monastery of Santa María la Real, Nájera. I found another "Reyna" Blanca, which makes three. Can one of you (probably Kathar1na) sort them out for me?
The first photo is of the one in the Panteón de los Infantes, and the information given with it says it is the cover of the sarcophagus of Blanca Garcés (1135-56), daughter of García Ramírez, wife of Sancho III and mother of Alfonso VIII. The second photo says that it is the tomb of "La Reina Doña Blanca de Castilla Mujer de Don Sancho Deseado de Castilla". The third photo is of another tomb on which is the inscription: "LA REYNA DONA BLANCA MUJER DE DON SANCHO REY".
There are too many Sanchos, and seemingly three Blancas.
... too many Sanchos 🤣🤣🤣

Let me add a note of speculation. The body of Blanca (died 1156) was first interred in the Panteón de los Infantes because Sancho was not King at the time and he would have been interred there if he died before his father. I suspect her body was moved to a more prestigious location when Sancho either became King or died.

BTW, Wikipedia has this introductory paragraph for Sancho:

Sancho III (c. 1134 – 31 August 1158), called the Desired (el Deseado), was King of Castile and Toledo for one year, from 1157 to 1158. He was the son of Alfonso VII of León and Castile and his wife Berengaria of Barcelona, and was succeeded by his son Alfonso VIII. His nickname was due to his position as the first child of his parents, born after eight years of childless marriage.​

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

An information board on the right side of the central nave refers to, in Spanish, "Panteón Infantes" and "Princes' Pantheon" in English, where the remains of those royal figures who did not become...
I'm going through the photos I took last June in the Monastery of Santa María la Real, Nájera. I found another "Reyna" Blanca, which makes three. Can one of you (probably Kathar1na) sort them out...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back