• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thirty five days and I never knowingly encountered another diabetic

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
The thought only occurred to me tonight as I lay in my bed in Santiago. After fruitlessly trying to find food with no luck I am faced with waiting till ten A.M. tomorrow in Madrid. I wonder how other insulin dependent diabetics fare here? Using this evening as an example I went into the center of Santiago looking for a meal. If you want tapas, beer,wine, cookies,cake, ice cream or coffee then you're in luck. But if you need protein I.e. real food good luck because everything around,here opens at 2000 to 2030 hours. In a city of one hundred thousand that makes a,good piece of coin from tourists I'd think that wouldn't be the case bur I'm wrong.

The back up plan is to go to a grocery store but despite walking 3 kilometers not a single one presented itself.

So if you're a diabetic make sure you have safety nets well in place that you don't find yourself hard pressed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That's precisely what I did, I am quite familiar with Google. The problem has been incorrect information . The wise pilgrim app will tell you that an albergue opens at 11 and you arrive and check in is at 1300 or 1500 as the place I am currently in. Grocery stores are anything from what my say is a gas station to something substantial. Again in my walk today through the old town there was not a place open between 1800 to 1900 that person could buy a few ingredients and make a meal. It's that simple. If you can sustain on beer and olives you'll have no problem. Even "proper " pilgrim meals are mostly carbohydrates which is sugar.

I'm just warning fellow diabetics be super aware of what's available and have options.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That's precisely what I did, I am quite familiar with Google. The problem has been incorrect information
I'm sorry to have made the assumption that you hadn't checked Google Maps first. Many of us don't bother using it when we are at home because we already know where all of our local shops are, so it may not be a habit to consult it when we are traveling. And you're right that sometimes the hours are incorrect.

I don't know if you are going by plane or train. The airport coffee shop opens at 7:10. The train might have a dining car if you are taking that route.

I am not insulin dependant, but do have T2 diabetes and usually carry Baby Bell cheeses, walnuts, peanuts, etc. You may be able to buy something like a bag of nuts in an airport shop or on the train.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked the CF from SJPDP to SDC twice (2023 & 2024). I stayed mostly in municipal albergues. Both times I became ill with respiratory infection about 2 weeks into the walk. I'm a nurse, so...
I have spoken to 4 people in the last 2 days who have bed bug bites. One in Lisbon and the others on the coastal route. I was severely bitten at the Caruma Surf Hostel. When I asked for a refund -...
Does anyone know if the bag transport companies could keep & maintain a refrigerated drug & deliver it every 7 days? For Arthritis
The thought only occurred to me tonight as I lay in my bed in Santiago. After fruitlessly trying to find food with no luck I am faced with waiting till ten A.M. tomorrow in Madrid. I wonder how...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.