Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The White Cross

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
My question might be better placed in the language section of the forum.
The plaque by the foot of the White Cross, or Cross of Roldán, between Roncesvalles and Burguete, says: 'CRUZ DE ROLDAN "CRUZ BLANCA" [followed by what I presume are the same words in Basque] S. XVII abatida en 1794 repuesta el 24-09-2006'

My question is: What does 'abatida' mean in this context? I used Google Translate and found the following: dejected, disheartened, discouraged, demoralized, crushed, desolate, heartbroken, broken-hearted, heavy-hearted, low-spirited, in the doldrums, sad, unhappy, long-faced, fed-up, wretched, glum, gloomy, dismal, shamefaced, hangdog ... (and more)

None of these words seemed to fit (!)
I then turned to a small dictionary and found that 'abatido/-a' can be all those things above, but that 'abatir' can mean to overthrow, knock down; pull down; take down (tents) and a few other things. I suppose you'd need to be a medium to read the mind of the person who wrote the inscription, but my choice for a translation seems to be between 'knocked down' and 'pulled down'. It could have been accidentally knocked down, but pulled down must be deliberate.

Do you know whether the Cross of Roldan was knocked down accidentally or pulled down deliberately? If it was pulled down, why? If it was 'repuesta' in 2006, was it replaced with the original masonry or with a modern copy?

An apology: The last question and, to an extent, the question before that, has been answered when I asked the same questions some years ago.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
An apology: The last question and, to an extent, the question before that, has been answered when I asked the same questions some years ago.
Yes, you asked about this cross and the other cross nearby several years ago.

I don't recall that, at the time, I saw this article (see link below) about this cross near Burguete that provides a description of its background and its history that I personally find more credible as an explanation of its function than a cross that purifies the forest of the influence of witches. Which, however, is a much better story for tourists and pilgrims in Navarra than the more boring explanation provided in the article.

The article was published in March 2021. The author is Joseph Irigaray Gil who appears to be a local from Burguete with an interest in local history, in addition to being also the mayor of Burguete.

The function of the cross is the same as other crosses along the Camino de Santiago: To mark the border between two villages and to mark the way between them.

See Auritz/Burguete y Orreaga/Roncesvalles, Ejemplos de Convivencia

I find it a bit amusing that it is called White Cross and Roland's Cross. As if there are two competing and rather different legends. 😇

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back