• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Princes' Pantheon, Santa María la Real, Nájera.

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
An information board on the right side of the central nave refers to, in Spanish, "Panteón Infantes" and "Princes' Pantheon" in English, where the remains of those royal figures who did not become kings are kept. You may know that the Spanish for 'prince' (of the royal blood) is 'infante' and the word for 'princess' (ditto) is 'infanta'. Where they have both, they can say 'infantes', which covers male and female. I guess I'd have to say Pantheon of Princes and Princesses.
The board gives this information: "The most outstanding piece is the cover of the sarcophagus of Blanca Garcés (1135-56), daughter of García Ramírez, wife of Sancho IV [Is this a mistake? She is described as the wife of Sancho III elsewhere.] and mother of Alfonso VIII." I took several photos of the large piece of stone.
More information: "The back side presents biblical scenes related to nuptials or maternity, in which women play an essential role. In the centre, we can see Christ in Majesty surrounded by girls who carry lamps. It represents the parable of the careful and careless virgins." There were ten virgins in the parable: five wise and five foolish. However, my photo (attached) appears to show four figures on the left of the 'central' figure of Christ in Majesty, with seven figures on the right. That makes eleven virgins.
Does anyone have an explanation?
My second question is this. Were there two Blanca Garcés or does the one lady have two tombs? In the Royal Pantheon there is a tomb on the foot of which is carved the inscription: La Reina Doña Blanca de Castilla Mujer de Don Sancho Deseado de Castilla.

Attachments

• DSCN0206.JPG
    DSCN0206.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN0213.JPG
    DSCN0213.JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 19
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
However, my photo (attached) appears to show four figures on the left of the 'central' figure of Christ in Majesty, with seven figures on the right. That makes eleven virgins.
Does anyone have an explanation?
The bride to be ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Why? I am confused even more. Has this strayed from the topic?
Sorry, C clearly. I have expressed myself badly. I found another photo of a tomb of another Queen Blanca, wife of King Sancho, so I've started another thread with photos of three memorials to a woman called Blanca who married a king called Sancho. They can't all be for the same woman, or can they?

So, does it supersede this thread?
Yes, I suppose it does. I don't suppose that anyone will be able to answer the question: Why are there eleven figures (plus Christ in Majesty) on the sloping face of the cover of the sarcophagus?
And now I have to ask on the new thread, were there three Blancas?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

An information board on the right side of the central nave refers to, in Spanish, "Panteón Infantes" and "Princes' Pantheon" in English, where the remains of those royal figures who did not become...
I'm going through the photos I took last June in the Monastery of Santa María la Real, Nájera. I found another "Reyna" Blanca, which makes three. Can one of you (probably Kathar1na) sort them out...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back