Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The dreaded descent into Zubiri

Wanieta

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. 2024
I am presently in Bizketta planning to take off tomorrow to Larrasoana. Heavy rain is predicted which, if it comes to pass, makes me fearful of the descent into Zubiri. Wise Pilgrim says not to take the road ( I don’t know why). So I may take a taxi. Does anyone know if a taxi can be had at either Lintzoain or Alto de Erro? Gracias!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am presently in Bizketta planning to take off tomorrow to Larrasoana. Heavy rain is predicted which, if it comes to pass, makes me fearful of the descent into Zubiri. Wise Pilgrim says not to take the road ( I don’t know why). So I may take a taxi. Does anyone know if a taxi can be had at either Lintzoain or Alto de Erro? Gracias!
There are no taxis waiting In ranks at either place. You would need to book a taxi in advance.
Check out this earlier thread re
the descent into Zubiri for relevant posts concerning your next day.

Last edited:
The road is a good road. I should think that they say not to take it as is full of tight bends so driver viewing lines are limited. It is also used by large lorries.
If one does walk it - and I wouldn't be scared to do that - then absolutely walk facing oncoming and be aware.
Traffic coming towards you will be driving uphill so that won't be going crazy fast - fast enough though!! Also, some sections where there is no jump off verges, so not easy.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I did the CF fall 2023 and from alto de erro was challenging. Raining would be treacherous! I also just finished the CF in Spring 2024, took a taxi this time, from Lintzoain to Zubiri. (Pardon my spelling)
And if you’re going the whole way to Santiago this trip, another area to watch out for is going into Molinaseca. I saw many injuries (face plants and broken limbs). I had some friends who did well there and some thanked me for telling them to take a taxi! It really wracked my knees. It was about 8 km of loose big rocks. Not worth it.

I walked it in 2018, but last year, took a taxi from Lintzoain because I just did not see why I should walk this horrible part again. Is it to prove something? Our host in Lintzoain was adamant that we not walk the road.

When the taxi went around the curves, I could see why this is a really dangerous road. Have walked a lot of roads on the Caminos and this one looked really scary. Especially if it is raining.

Ask your host at your albergue/hotel to arrange a taxi for you.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
My wife and I have hiked CF four times. We know the last part of the hike to Zubiri is dangerous. We've learned to walk at our pace, using our trekking poles and not worry if other hikers behind us want to hike at a faster pace.

And agree that the hike from El Acebo to Molinaseca is steep and treacherous. One time we took the road route, facing traffic. We could easily see approaching traffic. However, we are both afraid of heights and the stone guardrail was only 15 - 18" high and we could see the steep slope which frightened us. The other three times, we hiked the traditional trail which is quite challenging. Next fall we are hiking from Leon to Santiago. We've decided to call for a taxi at El Acebeo (easy to wait in a nice bar) to transport us to Molinaseca. Bob

There's an app for smartphones called FreeNow (for taxis etc.) that might be helpful. I've used it in France and Italy, and I was never more than a few minutes away from a ride. I don't know if it would work in more rural areas, but supposedly it works in Spain as well.

Is the descent into Zubiri steeper than that into Roncesvalles (from SJPdP)? By my (admittedly back-of-the-envelope) calcs, the Roncesvalles descent approach is a downslope average of 12.5%!

My wife and I have hiked CF four times. We know the last part of the hike to Zubiri is dangerous. We've learned to walk at our pace, using our trekking poles and not worry if other hikers behind us want to hike at a faster pace.

And agree that the hike from El Acebo to Molinaseca is steep and treacherous. One time we took the road route, facing traffic. We could easily see approaching traffic. However, we are both afraid of heights and the stone guardrail was only 15 - 18" high and we could see the steep slope which frightened us. The other three times, we hiked the traditional trail which is quite challenging. Next fall we are hiking from Leon to Santiago. We've decided to call for a taxi at El Acebeo (easy to wait in a nice bar) to transport us to Molinaseca. Bob
I have walked down from El Acebo in both October and November and every time the weather was bad with rain. It was late October through late November to give you context. I always took the road. I walked against traffic of course and it was easy with very, very light traffic. The road is good and pretty wide. I don't think you would have a problem walking on it. Maybe others may have a different take.
I know the question of walking down from Cruz and especially from El Acebo has been discussed here on the forum. If you do a search I am sure you will get a better perspective. I didn't want to even screw with the camino path in the weather I was facing on the days I chose to take the road.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband and I just finished walking the Frances. We walked the Zubiri stretch in a light drizzle, and there had been a storm the night before so the ground was very wet.

I felt quite worried as we began, but we both had shoes with excellent grip, took our time (very slowly!), used our poles, and we had no trouble at all.

Just our experience! Do whatever makes you feel happiest! 😊

Hi wanieta
The decent to zubiri in dry weather is very difficult last year I took a massive tumble and ripped open my forearm and elbow, luckily for me Fabian who I was walking with managed to catch my arm otherwise my head would have crashed into the loose rocks and believe me there are ruts gashes loose rocks all the way down so if you are walking be very cautious and take it slowly. I suffered for over a week having to get my wound redressed every few days.
As for a taxi. You can get a taxi anywhere just google local area taxi services. Keith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took a taxi with a number given by the food/drinks truck just before the descent into Zubiri. They knew the number of local taxis and several of us shared the one taxi making it cheaper.

Buen Camino! My husband and I arrived in Bizkarret last fall in pouring rain, and faced your dilemma. Our kind hostess advised us that there was an early morning bus that could take us to Zubiri. We were waiting for it, when our hostess dashed out to find us, telling us that she had overlooked the fact that it was Sunday, the one day the bus didn’t run. She then kindly arranged a taxi for us, which we shared with other peregrinos.

We walked down the road the last time we descended to Zubiri. We stopped at the
Refreshment truck/wagon and then down the road from there, staying on the left. There are some hairpin turns but the road is not as bad as coming down into Molinaseca.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Which way did you go, and how was it?

The decent into Zubiri is not extreme. Not even when wet. If you take your time with your footing and have good walking sticks to help balance, you should be fine. Oh, those worn stones can be slippery, but I don't think they should lead anyone to a taci stand.

The decent is extreme, in combining jagged ruts carved into the stone path compressing your feet between rocks while you are hiking down hill, which makes it a challenge even when the stone is dry or moist. When there is a rainstorm, the ruts become small streams, causing you to lose visibility of the path and your footing. ScouseKeith's account is evidence and several caminos, we heard similar stories of injured pilgrims, some with serious injuries. Bob

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I have walked the Frances(minus the Meseta) in 2015, and then every step in 2017. I had nice sunny days going down to Zubiri both times and do not recall it being unusually treacherous.

I absolutely loved the area around El Acebo. Leaving there on both caminos in glorious weather, I did not find it scary; in fact it is one of my favorite true paths with some interesting bluestone and beautiful mountain views.
Surely some pilgrims have enjoyed it as much as me, although if I'd had rainy, slippy rocks to navigate, I'm sure my memories would have been less than stellar.

Last edited:
There's an app for smartphones called FreeNow (for taxis etc.) that might be helpful. I've used it in France and Italy, and I was never more than a few minutes away from a ride. I don't know if it would work in more rural areas, but supposedly it works in Spain as well.

Is the descent into Zubiri steeper than that into Roncesvalles (from SJPdP)? By my (admittedly back-of-the-envelope) calcs, the Roncesvalles descent approach is a downslope average of 12.5%!
It is steep but what makes it tricky is the ridges of limestone rock running across the path that you have to step over. I have seen a photo of the terrain here some time ago, but wouldn't know where to find it now.

I have walked the Frances(minus the Meseta) in 2015, and then every step in 2017. I had nice sunny days going down to Zubiri both times and do not recall it being unusually treacherous.

I absolutely loved the area around El Acebo. Leaving there on both caminos in glorious weather, I did not find it scary; in fact it is one of my favorite true paths with some interesting bluestone and beautiful mountain views.
Surely some pilgrims have enjoyed it as much as me, although if I'd had rainy, slippy rocks to navigate, I'm sure my memories would have been less than stellar.
Nope, not this pilgrim. Walked again recently, and no it hasn't gotten easier, Id say overall a lot of the path is worse now with rain having washed away the gravel, making it even worse. It was also muddy and slippery, and nettles in some of the narrow parts before Acebo (I was zapped on the leg), and also before Samos.
The bit between Acebo and Riego de Ambros is fine, its the part after.
I think in the last few years Spain must have experienced some heavy rain, as there are a few places where I recall the paths being better in earlier years.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The man who had to be rescued by helicopter with back injuries on that stretch just two days ago might not share your positive view.

I agree, I walked both those routes this year, and although it was dry both days for me, I didn't think either one of them was particularly difficult, perhaps because I had polls.

After the Cruce de Ferros all the bushes were in bloom, and it was spectacular
Going down into Molinaseca:

IMG_7385.jpegIMG_7391.jpeg
Wet would be more complicated, especially Zubiri. But I still probably would walk them, but very carefully and only with poles.

We have walked down from Foncebadon to Molinesca on the paths and on the road.
From Foncebadon to El Acebo we prefer the path. From Riego de Ambros to Molinesca we absolutely prefer the road. For us it is very slow going on the path from RdA with a constant need to be watching where we step, even with poles. Our rhythm is disturbed. On the road we must be vigilant about moving traffic, and when to change sides, but we do not have as much rhythm disturbance, and we actually arrive quicker to Molineseca that way, though the distance is longer.

Last edited:
We have walked down from Foncebadon to Molinesca on the paths and on the road.
My feet down to El Acebo prefer the path. From Riego de Ambros to Molinesca we absolutely prefer the road. For us it is very slow going on the path from RdA with a constant need to be watching where we step, even with poles. Our rhythm is disturbed. On the road we must be vigilant about moving traffic, and when to change sides, but we do not have as much rhythm disturbance, and we actually arrive quicker to Molineseca that way, though the distance is longer.
I did exactly the same, I’ve tripped too many times walking to Molinaseca so the past two Caminos I’ve walked the road, and yes it is longer but definitely quicker and easier on the feet. Keith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, I made it. It rained all last night and into this morning but the sun came out so I thought I’d give it a try. Challenging, but doable if you take your time and concentrate. I disagree that it was a total slog; some sections were quite pleasant. But no walk in the park, for sure.

The decent into Zubiri is not extreme. Not even when wet. If you take your time with your footing and have good walking sticks to help balance, you should be fine. Oh, those worn stones can be slippery, but I don't think they should lead anyone to a taci stand.
I beg to differ. 2 years ago - in April - it was flooded. Completely flooded.
Very reluctantly (but because I was walking with 2 other ladies and I was worried about them) I chose to take a taxi.
There were so many accidents that day! 😳
I was very glad I had made that decision! But it wasn’t easy, I agree, on my own I wouldn’t even have thought about it…

I am really curious about the reports of the descent to Zubiri and also downhill from el Acebo. Really puzzled, actually.
I set off from Roncesvalles on June 23rd, 2006.
My memory is untrustworthy, but I think I recall reaching what may have been the Alto de Erro, then carefully crossing the road, going left into a forested way and eventually coming down to Zubiri, and on to Larrasoaña.. does that sound right to those who either know from experience or from reading?
I have just looked online and found this youtube post. At about five minutes in it shows the terrain fairly clearly.
The part I was actually concerned about was El Perdón... In fact I have walked that willingly about four times! Yes, it has to be treated with great respect, and it was where I really learned that once on the way, there is no way back. It is not an option. (An opinion. Yours may differ.)
I also clearly recall a very enjoyable trot/walk down from El Acebo after a most wonderful second breakfast, having slept in Foncebaddon, and a very fine morning sunrise experience at Cruz de Hierro.
I repeat: my memory can be entirely erroneous. A family failing. 😇
What I see currently is that some people seem to think and or find the descents in both locations are not ... safe? Has there been that much erosion since 2006?
I cannot gainsay anyone, your experience is your evidence. For those yet to approach either sections, down to Zubiri or down from El Acebo, perhaps don't decide till you are there.
And for your information, my avatar photo was taken very close to El Acebo. Why? It reminded me, en grande, of home terrain...
Taken, summer 2006.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Interesting.

Having spent many years doing walks/hikes in and around the Canadian Rockies, as well as tromping around the Shield in northern Ontario as a kid, the pictures posted above look very familiar to my eyes. I wouldn't risk it in heavy rain (too much chance of a flash flood, even if only minor), but otherwise, it looks like "thoughful" territory rather than overtly treacherous. I'm sure I'll have a re-think when I'm actually there in a couple of weeks...

I am really curious about the reports of the descent to Zubiri and also downhill from el Acebo. Really puzzled, actually.
My memory is untrustworthy, but I think I recall reaching what may have been the Alto de Erro, then carefully crossing the road, going left into a forested way and eventually coming down to Zubiri, and on to Larrasoaña.. does that sound right to those who either know from experience or from reading?
I have just looked online and found this youtube post. At about five minutes in it shows the terrain fairly clearly.
The part I was actually concerned about was El Perdón... In fact I have walked that willingly about four times! Yes, it has to be treated with great respect, and it was where I really learned that once on the way, there is no way back. It is not an option. (An opinion. Yours may differ.)
I also clearly recall a very enjoyable trot/walk down from El Acebo after a most wonderful second breakfast, having slept in Foncebaddon, and a very fine morning sunrise experience at Cruz de Hierro.
What I see currently is that some people seem to think and or find the descents in both locations are not ... safe? Has there been that much erosion since 2006?
I cannot gainsay anyone, your experience is your evidence. For those yet to approach either sections, down to Zubiri or down from El Acebo, perhaps don't decide till you are there.
And for your information, my avatar photo was taken very close to El Acebo. Why? It reminded me, en grande, of home terrain...
Taken, summer 2006.
Thank you. The video has reassured me that it's not a certain death trap descending to Zubiri. I'll be there in a few days!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Interesting.

Having spent many years doing walks/hikes in and around the Canadian Rockies, as well as tromping around the Shield in northern Ontario as a kid, the pictures posted above look very familiar to my eyes. I wouldn't risk it in heavy rain (too much chance of a flash flood, even if only minor), but otherwise, it looks like "thoughful" territory rather than overtly treacherous. I'm sure I'll have a re-think when I'm actually there in a couple of weeks...
I have done it a few times, always in Summer and never thought it was treacherous. But as you say, in a flash flood, it can be very bad! It was that year in April, only because of the weather.

I loved the descent into Zubiri last year!
A lot of people who walk the Camino have not done any back country hiking/ bush walking or have only hiked on very well-graded trails or paved footpaths. So I think that’s why some people find it difficult.

Well, I made it. It rained all last night and into this morning but the sun came out so I thought I’d give it a try. Challenging, but doable if you take your time and concentrate. I disagree that it was a total slog; some sections were quite pleasant. But no walk in the park, for sure.
Congratulations 😁
I found the descent to Zubiri not as bad as I expected- admittedly it was a sunny day but still took care and concentration.
However I found some of the other steep and rocky down hills worse than Zubiri - I walked some and then walked on the road on others. I think they are the spots mentioned earlier in this thread.
Blessings and Buen Camino

Ask your accommodation person to call you a taxi: the road with rain is too risky! Be safe

Ask your accommodation person to call you a taxi: the road with rain is too risky! Be safe
@frannie z, you may not have seen it, it is mentioned in the quote before your post and @Wanieta wrote a few days ago in post #28 that she did walk to Zubiri: I made it. It rained all last night and into this morning but the sun came out so I thought I’d give it a try. Challenging, but doable if you take your time and concentrate.

I did the descent this morning, so it was fairly dry after all the recent rains and, in all honesty, I do not know what all the fuss is about. Yes, a tad challenging, but with decent footwear and poles it is very doable. And I'm not the fittest or nimblest by far!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Walked the CF during lent this past March-April 2024. Experienced all seasons of weather with 30cm of snow leaving Rabinal del Camino to Foncebadon through Cruz de Fierro. Amazing journey. Had to take the road down to Molinaseca. Thank be to God I used my trekking poles or it would not have been possible with my 30L pack. The snow plows were working and traffic was few and far between. Very peaceful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Tell me about the descent to Zubiri.

If you are competent at using trekking poles there really isn't a single part of any Camino to 'dread.'
For those that don't use or like trekking poles, extra caution is needed in the wet as much of the soil in many parts are heavy clay, sometimes mixed with cattle/sheep manure/moss which can be a slippery mess when wet or in the rain or snow. Carrying a pack also makes your natural balance a little off.
I am always conscious that a fall or mistep could bring a Camino walk to an abrupt end, so I use poles 100% of the time.
No falls in seven Camino walks so far, so they work well for me.
The added benefit is less strain on your knees especially up and down hills.

Ok. Tell me about the descent to Zubiri.
A complete 'nothing burger' with trekking poles. I did it in the spring rain with a stream from spring run off on much of it.
Shoes got wet, other than that, absolutely no drama.
Without trekking poles, it would have been more challenging for sure.
But I was only 63, I imagine if you were really old with bad knees or balance issues it would be a concern.

Taken, summer 2006.

I can see Scotland in your avatar 😍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, Scotland, or Wales or England or the Camino Frances somewhere near El Acebo.😅

North Wales, perhaps …
The Lake District in England …
lots of Scotland …
and the CF near El Acebo …

I was referring to this, in @Kirkie’s post 😉

“And for your information, my avatar photo was taken very close to El Acebo. Why? It reminded me, en grande, of home terrain...
Taken, summer 2006.”

I once (2010) jogged down the decent into Zubiri (with full pack) :oops: in an attempt to catch up with some friends.
I had walked it before and did not think that it was overly agressive. Actually, I had no real problems in jogging....but I was really sore for the next week. Not a really smart idea, but it seemed reasonable at the time.

(Also, I had just turned 71 for those who are thinking of a youngster)

Last edited:
We all have different perspectives, and experiences, often based on our physical ability/fitness, weather, degree of fatigue, or gear perhaps?

I took the road option in 2015. Very dangerous. Hairpins, no shoulder, steep drop offs. Had to jump the safety barrier a couple of times. Though sometimes there is nowhere to 'jump to'.
Amazed no one has been killed taking that route.

We took the direct route in 2018.
It was dry and not a problem.
Just the last 300 metres or so required extra care.

BUT.....

I think the trail may have deteriorated since.
It would be slippery when wet!

Alto Del Perdon.

Not a problem, have walked down in the dry and the wet.
A few hundred metres require some care, that's all.

Down to Molinaseca.

Different ball game altogether.
Hardest part of the Frances for us without a doubt.

Some slippery rock sections when wet, but the constant steep downhill wrecks knees and other joints.
Our legs are like jelly by the time we get to the bottom.

Breaking the journey at El Acebo helps.

Note. We have good footwear and two poles.

Last edited:
It's such a big factor. I've spent countless hours backcountry hiking since I was literally five years old and my body "sees" the trail differently than a lot of people I've walked or hiked with.

As I rapidly get older and clunkier, I'm very grateful for those hours because without that base of experience I don't think I'd do very well.
Indeed, everyone has different levels of comfort and experience of backcountry hiking.

In June 2023, I started walking from Bizkarreta to Akerreta in a light mist, following several days of severe thunderstorms. There was mud everywhere and the rocks were slick. I had decided against bringing my hiking poles in order to travel in-cabin/carry-on only on airplanes. But as I have now learned, the Camino provides--the albergue at Roncesvalles miraculously had cheap hiking poles for sale and I was so grateful for them on that stretch to Zubiri. I needed them.

As others have said, a slow and deliberate concentration is called for. But I am blessed to have spent most of my life near mountains and the trail was not difficult--to me. But I later heard of injuries that day. An American saying applies here: Your Mileage May Vary :)

Benoît
PS: This is my first post ever. I have followed this forum for some time now and am so grateful to have found this community. It is simply remarkable in this day and age! Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Hi. I am starting my camino on Monday 16th Sept at St Jean Pied De Port. I have hust pit my final rucksack together for the first timeit comes in at about 8.5Kg, I am 86Kg so this seems kinda...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back