• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Conques Light Show (the coolest thing I've seen on a Camino)

BillW

Time of past OR future Camino
2022, 2023, 2024, 2025
I couldn't find any posts about this on the Forum, so I thought I'd share...

One of the most beautiful stops on the Le Puy route is Conques. It's a picturesque French village featuring the beautiful Abbey of Sainte Foy.

Like many churches, the Abbey's church features a facade with carvings of Biblical stories.

Each night after dark, there is a light show which projects onto the facade, and helps tell the story that is portrayed in the carvings. Each section is lit up in a specific order to present the story as intended. I've never seen anything like it, and it stands out as one of my favorite things that I've ever seen on a Camino.

I've attached a picture of the facade with and without the lights projected. Maybe some of you could share some better photos/videos or more information about the Abbey and the light show.

Attachments

• Facade.jpg
    Facade.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 337
  • Facade2.jpg
    Facade2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I stayed at the monastery in Conques and saw the incredible light show. A priest was on the organ playing "The House of the Rising Sun", coordinated with the light show. It was surreal and a memory I will never forget.
There have been a few posts mentioning it in recent years.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Conques is a very special place and worth more than a mad dash in/out. Do read what fellow forum member Lovingkindness and I have written in this earlier thread re the glories of Conques.
I just took a look at the video in your link, @mspath as I'd missed it the first time around.
I see it is different than what I saw and very beautiful! Thanks for bringing it to the forefront again for us to enjoy.

For those who understand french, it is worth to attend the presentation of the tympan of the church, because the monk explain the story of Sainte Foy. She was a young martyr dead on the 3rd century, in Agen.
Six centuries later, the monks of Conques managed to rob the relics of Sainte Foy. In order to get the relics, 2 of them did not hesitate to enter in the abbey of Agen, and stay there 10 years in order to gain the confidence of the hierarchy of this abbey, before escaping to Conques with the precious bones !

Last edited:
I stayed at the monastery in Conques and saw the infamous light show. A priest was on the organ playing "The House of the Rising Sun", coordinated with the light show. It was surreal and a memory I will never forget.
There have been a few posts mentioning it in recent years.
Infamous? But why?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It might sound like The House of the Rising Sun - which is a strange song to be played by a monk - but it is actually a French version (or maybe original?) called Le Pénitencier, sung by Johnny Holiday. If you look up the words, they are more appropriate to a cathedral setting.

And later on, the monk plays what I know as Greensleeves, though it might have a different set of words in the French.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It might sound like The House of the Rising Sun - which is a strange song to be played by a monk - but it is actually a French version (or maybe original?) called Le Pénitencier, sung by Johnny Holiday. If you look up the words, they are more appropriate to a cathedral setting.
Either way, there were no words, but the music was identical to the song I know and liked from my youth I do not know or speak French.
That said, I did find it rather unusual to be played in a church setting.

Thank you. It's one of my favorite songs and now I know the original. Bon chemin.

The monk who was playing modern musics at organ is a very good musician. But unfortunately, I heard that he is retired now.

€149,-
Agree that it seemed most odd to hear
Thank you. It's one of my favorite songs and now I know the original. Bon chemin.
Actually, I've just looked it up on wikipedia and the origins of the song are very interesting. The French version was recorded a few months after The Animal's version. It's just that Johnny Holiday's version is better known in France, I think.

I was staying at a gîte in the Célé Valley and the host was playing music during the meal. The song came on and I mentioned that this had been played by a monk in Conques and I had found it most unusual to play such a song in a holy building, as the lyrics seemed unsuitable.

The host explained looked up what was being played and then told me all about the French version, sung by Johnny Holiday, 'the most famous rock star totally unknown in the Anglosphere!'

Here's a google translation of the words to Le Penitencier

The doors of the penitentiary
Soon they will close
And this is where I will end my life
Like other guys finished it

For me, my mother gave
Her wedding dress
Can you ever forgive me
I made you cry too much

The sun is not made for us
It's at night that you can cheat
You who this evening lost everything
Tomorrow you can win

Oh, mothers, listen to me
Never leave your boys
Alone at night hanging out in the streets
They will go straight to prison

And you the girl who loved me
I made you cry too much
The tears of shame that you shed
We must forget them

And the doors of the penitentiary
Soon they will close
And this is where I will end my life
Like other guys finished it

There's a slightly different emphasis when you compare the words with those of The House of the Rising Sun.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I couldn't find any posts about this on the Forum, so I thought I'd share... One of the most beautiful stops on the Le Puy route is Conques. It's a picturesque French village featuring the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back