• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

New Member and Camino do Mar Question

dcalonder12

Time of past OR future Camino
CdN, CdM, CI
Hello! My name is Dean, and I'm a new member to this forum...though I have read many threads in the past. The information I've seen is extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

My question is what the members think about walking the Camino do Mar from Ribadeo to Ferrol or taking the Ruta del Cantabrico instead. Is there a preferred route? Is there a guidebook for the Ruta del Cantabrico?

Thanks,

Dean

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dean, welcome to the forum. I have yet to walk either, but during my research for the Del Mar across these:

You might want to read this blog for ideas about where to stay.

In April and May 2024, I walked from Santander to A Coruna. From Ribadeo, instead of going inland on the Norte, I continued along the Cantábrico trail and then continued to Ferrol and A Coruna.

I believe the trail follows more or less Ruta do Mar to Ferrol.

I wrote a blog whilst walking, which I have posted on https://followingyourfeet.com/ with lots of pictures.

This is a fabulous walk - well sign posted initially, slightly less so once the Cantábrico ends. As written elsewhere, there are limited places to stay in some towns, but manageable.

Not sure if you’d seen them

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello! My name is Dean, and I'm a new member to this forum...though I have read many threads in the past. The information I've seen is extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

My question is what the members think about walking the Camino do Mar from Ribadeo to Ferrol or taking the Ruta del Cantabrico instead. Is there a preferred route? Is there a guidebook for the Ruta del Cantabrico?

Thanks,

Dean
I do sell Dave's book here:

Dean, I don't think you'll find a single recommended approach. (I don't think you'll find too many people who have actually walked both, for one thing.) In the book, I've laid out both options and offered my own suggestions. For example, I much prefer the Mar from Burela to San Cibrao, as it goes past the cool, old Sargadelos factory ruins. In other places, the Cantábrico is much better walking. At other points, the question is more about timing. For example, the inland walk from Teixido to the Inglés is much less interesting than the coastal approach, but it's also much shorter! It also helps to minimize some accommodation challenges in that stretch. You can definitely cobble together some good insights on the options, though, from the posts from experienced walkers in this sub-forum!

At least 3 members plan to walk CDM in Aug. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/ruta-do-mar-august-2024.87085/#post-1259955
Please checkout @stevenbl for walking stages and lodgings. I will start in Ribadeo on 17 July. Lodging in the summer from Voldavinoto Ferrol along the coast is limited. From Voldavino my plan for each stage is to use Ferrol as base and take Galicia Public transport, https://www.bus.gal/es, to get to starting point and to return to Ferrol at end of the walk.
Any forum members with experience riding Galicia Public buses?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Dean, I don't think you'll find a single recommended approach. (I don't think you'll find too many people who have actually walked both, for one thing.) In the book, I've laid out both options and offered my own suggestions. For example, I much prefer the Mar from Burela to San Cibrao, as it goes past the cool, old Sargadelos factory ruins. In other places, the Cantábrico is much better walking. At other points, the question is more about timing. For example, the inland walk from Teixido to the Inglés is much less interesting than the coastal approach, but it's also much shorter! It also helps to minimize some accommodation challenges in that stretch. You can definitely cobble together some good insights on the options, though, from the posts from experienced walkers in this sub-forum!
Thanks, Dave. I purchased your guidebook. It's dated 2019. Is that the most updated version? I know I can go to your site and check out the updates; however, I was wondering if there's a version that contains most/all of the updates. Even as is, the 2019 version is quite helpful. My wife and I are very excited for our upcoming walk.

Thanks, Dave. I purchased your guidebook. It's dated 2019. Is that the most updated version? I know I can go to your site and check out the updates; however, I was wondering if there's a version that contains most/all of the updates. Even as is, the 2019 version is quite helpful. My wife and I are very excited for our upcoming walk.
Not yet, unfortunately! I'm hoping that, as interest in the Mar ticks up, its time will come. Here are the two posts that I've written that are most relevant:

General updates from my most recent re-walk: https://davewhitson.com/index.php/2023/07/24/news-and-notes-from-the-mar/

Updated route maps: https://davewhitson.com/index.php/2023/08/19/quick-mock-ups-of-updated-camino-del-mar-route-maps/

Dave

Thanks Dave! I walked in 2022 and found your guide helpful. Your comments here exactly summarize my experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back