• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ride share Taxi Roncesvalles to SJPdP on Oct 14 2024

For those interested in sharing a ride to get to your starting point or any other location along the Camino.

gkaplan

Time of past OR future Camino
10/2024
ALSA appears to end bus service from Pamplona on Oct 10. Now planning to take the Artieda bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles arriving at 14:40. Would love to share a taxi to SJPdP. And to know whether getting a taxi at the bus station is easy, whether one can be pre-arranged, and what it might cost.
Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
ALSA appears to end bus service from Pamplona on Oct 10. Now planning to take the Artieda bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles arriving at 14:40. Would love to share a taxi to SJPdP. And to know whether getting a taxi at the bus station is easy, whether one can be pre-arranged, and what it might cost.
Cheers
There is no bus station at Roncesvalles. Just a bus stop. There is only the Albergue a couple of hotels and a few private houses. Any taxi will need to have been pre-booked. There are a few local drivers and a godgle search for Taxi Roncesvalles should give you some hits.

I know you didn't ask this, and you might already know, but... It is perfectly OK to start your Camino to Santiago from Roncesvalles (or even Pamplona). Most Spaniards consider Roncesvalles to be the starting point of the Camino Frances. The preoccupation with starting at SJPP seems to be more of an American thing. Sure the walk from SJPP is lovely on a nice day, but if the weather is cloudy (or worse) you will not see the views and it will be an unnecessarily hard start to your Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know you didn't ask this, and you might already know, but... It is perfectly OK to start your Camino to Santiago from Roncesvalles (or even Pamplona). Most Spaniards consider Roncesvalles to be the starting point of the Camino Frances. The preoccupation with starting at SJPP seems to be more of an American thing. Sure the walk from SJPP is lovely on a nice day, but if the weather is cloudy (or worse) you will not see the views and it will be an unnecessarily hard start to your Camino.
Why call it Camino Frances if not starting in France?

This is just me....To give due credit to those who actually walked or biked an entire Camino (whether it be Frances, Portuguese, etc), I don't consider Sarria, Vigo/Tui as having done what the route name is. Rather I call it as Camino Sarria, Vigo, Tui, Lugo, etc. It avoids the awkwardness when 2 people talked about having done the same Camino but started at different places😁, which is what I often heard in SDC when talking about the French route 😁

Why call it Camino Frances if not starting in France?

This is just me....To give due credit to those who actually walked or biked an entire Camino (whether it be Frances, Portuguese, etc), I don't consider Sarria, Vigo/Tui as having done what the route name is. Rather I call it as Camino Sarria, Vigo, Tui, Lugo, etc. It avoids the awkwardness when 2 people talked about having done the same Camino but started at different places😁, which is what I often heard in SDC when talking about the French route 😁
It’s doesn’t start in France, or rather it didn’t when it started. The name has nothing to do with the starting point. If it did it would be the Camino de St Jean which would probably confuse even more people. Or even, possibly, the Camino CDG & SNCF.

The Frances tag possibly derives from “Franks” - foreigners (not from round ‘ere). Hence the various Villafranca(s) built to stop them going home again. Or because it was the name of the runner from Emilio Estevez’s production company who first mapped out the route.

The Spanish call it the Camino de Santiago: but what would they know 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It’s doesn’t start in France, or rather it didn’t when it started. The name has nothing to do with the starting point. If it did it would be the Camino de St Jean which would probably confuse even more people. Or even, possibly, the Camino CDG & SNCF.

The Frances tag possibly derives from “Franks” - foreigners (not from round ‘ere). Hence the various Villafranca(s) built to stop them going home again. Or because it was the name of the runner from Emilio Estevez’s production company who first mapped out the route.

The Spanish call it the Camino de Santiago: but what would they know 😉
Interesting position. I think I'll have to do some research on the origin of the route name.

It would be interesting to know as well why they call the route from Portugal as C. Portuguese 😃

Some thread drift is developing here ... @nickyvee, the term you are looking for is "full Camino" as in I did the full Camino because I started in SJPP while you started in Sarría. Also, as I understand it you walked the Camino Inglés. The Camino Inglés doesn't start in England, does it? Names are but noise and smoke (Goethe).

@gkaplan, buen Camino for October 2024! In October, it is highly advisable to arrange taxi transport from Roncesvalles bus stop to SJPP well in advance. The official Roncesvalles website (https://roncesvalles.es/en/frequently-asked-questions/) recommends TaxiAsier Burguete +34 670616190. As you can see on the website of Taxi Asier you can contact them by phone or by email or by WhatsApp. Are you already familiar with WhatsApp? It is highly recommended for contacting services including accommodation along the Camino Francés in Spain in particular.

I read on this forum that Express Bourricot can now also pick up passengers in Roncesvalles for trips to SJPP. They are stationed in SJPP and well-known. I have no idea of current prices. As this is a transborder trip and an interurban trip, cost may be slightly different from what is usually quoted for Spain which is 1-2 € per kilometre. Just ask for a quote. My guess would be around €50-60.

Last edited:
Thanks for the WhatsApp suggestion. When I started from SJPP I shared a taxi up the MTN pass toward Roscesvalles, still a tough day but we all make it over the pass.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Some thread drift is developing here ... @nickyvee, the term you are looking for is "full Camino" as in I did the full Camino because I started in SJPP while you started in Sarría. Also, as I understand it you walked the Camino Inglés. The Camino Inglés doesn't start in England, does it? Names are but noise and smoke (Goethe).

@gkaplan, buen Camino for October 2024! In October, it is highly advisable to arrange taxi transport from Roncesvalles bus stop to SJPP well in advance. The official Roncesvalles website (https://roncesvalles.es/en/frequently-asked-questions/) recommends TaxiAsier Burguete +34 670616190. As you can see on the website of Taxi Asier you can contact them by phone or by email or by WhatsApp. Are you already familiar with WhatsApp? It is highly recommended for contacting services including accommodation along the Camino Francés in Spain in particular.

I read on this forum that Express Bourricot can now also pick up passengers in Roncesvalles for trips to SJPP. They are stationed in SJPP and well-known. I have no idea of current prices. As this is a transborder trip and an interurban trip, cost may be slightly different from what is usually quoted for Spain which is 1-2 € per kilometre. Just ask for a quote. My guess would be around €50-60.
Thank you!
I have booked Express Bouricot for October 14 at 14:40 and would be happy to share the €60 cost. Alternatively, I would be happy to share the cost of a taxi that morning from Pamplona.

I have booked Express Bouricot for October 14 at 14:40 and would be happy to share the €60 cost. Alternatively, I would be happy to share the cost of a taxi that morning from Pamplona.
I think that you made a wise decision. I wish you luck in finding pilgrims to share the cost. The middle of October is not high pilgrimage season on the section SJPP-Roncesvalles-Pamplona.

For general information I am posting information that I saw on the Gronze.com forum. I do not recall ever having read it on this forum and I cannot speak based on personal experience or vouch for accuracy. It may only apply during the late spring and summer months or sporadically. Here it is:

When the bus from Pamplona arrives in Roncesvalles, at the same bus stop there is a shared taxi-van service for pilgrims who want to go to Saint Jean Pied de Port. As it is a shared taxi, this service usually has an affordable price (about 10-12 euros per person), although the price per person depends on whether the taxi-van is full or not.

Thank you! I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who has more information about this service and, specifically whether it is (likely to be) available in mid-October.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I am going to fly back from Santander. I would like to take the FEVE along the coast from A Coruna or Ferol to Santander. Previously when I have asked RENFE staff about FEVE I have drawn a blank...
Hi, has anyone here stayed at Hostelfly? It looks walkable from T2. Or is it very busy roads with no sidewalks? My flight arrives late afternoon, then thinking of getting the Alsa bus next...
Hi Everyone New to this forum and appreciating it. I arrive in Bilbao on 28th August at around 9.30 am and planning to get to SJPD in one day. The alternatives, I've researched so far include a...
I'm just about to start my journey tomorrow 25th June flying into Bilbao which arrives in the afternoon hope to out of the airport by 3/30pm . Planning to catch a coach a from Bilbao via San...
Hello, my name is Stephanie and I will walk my first Camino Sept. I’m having difficulty finding trains from Santiago once I am done to get back to Lisbon. Thoughts??
Hey everyone, setting out on the camino and was hoping to get some insight on best and/or cheapest way to get from biarritz to SJPP. I know you can take a taxi there but unsure how much that would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back