Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking the Invierno off the road

peregrina2000

Staff member
Today’s Diario de León reports that the Xunta is going to allocate 40 million euros to improve the trails on the Invierno, with the goal of taking the camino off the road.

The Xunta has done a study designating all of the stretches where the Camino goes along the side of roads, whether they are provincial, regional or national.

How this will be done is anyone’s guess, and it is not described in the article. But given the Xunta’s track record, I think it’s likely that they will be putting in off road asphalt or crushed gravel paths. I hope that I am wrong. That would be safer maybe, and safety is important, but not what most pilgrims would prefer. I am hoping that the Camino Associations in the area will be involved in the process and that something will be done other than turning the Invierno into a 150 km stretch of paved via verde paths.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
We’ve had many discussions on the forum about this phenomenon, but since the forum upgrade seems to have messed with the search function, I can’t post links here. Basically, people with far more knowledge than I about trails tell me that this is not the preferred way to maintain trails in the natural environment. I think almost every unpaved inch of a camino in Galicia is improved along these lines, but your picture, @unadara, shows that the trend is spreading east!

The one small solace is that as the years pass, the trail darkens in color and gets a layer of more natural material above it, but it is still not like walking on a real earthen trail.

Help keep the Camino clean. Join us in 2025 for the Camino Cleanup Program & Retreat
I haven’t walked walked it yet! But this week they are “improving” the forest path from Pendes to Potes.
Is this what you mean, @peregrina2000, when you say "crushed gravel" (see the photo)?

I am used to infrastructure "improvements" in Spain, and I agree that they often have quite confused ideas about it...

However, I am also used to the fact that in Spain it is one thing to allocate funds, and another to DO the works. Just the process of apply for the permits and making the tender usually takes YEARS. So you have plenty of time to make your own way without this kind of ugliness...

Last edited:
The fairly recent protests in Galicia are placed firmly in context here. Just imagine what €40,000,000 might do for local communities rather than spending it on keeping Peregrinos trail runners out of the mud or the roadside fag packets. If Turismo de Galicia’s idea of keeping Peregrinos safe is represented by that stretch of Autopista Peregrino paralleling the AP-9 into Sigüeiro on the Inglés…. May the gods protect the Invierno from Turismo de Galicia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The reason I took the photo is because one of my friends is a manager in Irish Cement and I was sending it home asking would it ever catch on in Ireland. We love our forest trails and hate it when they are upgraded to allow trucks in for felling. But I literally stopped and stared as I could not believe how difficult it was to descend on it. To spend public money in this way is shameful. As we say at home How many people asked for this? Probably none.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Is it worth going off the regular path to Lalin or stay and go to A Laxe? Thanks :)
Today’s Diario de León reports that the Xunta is going to allocate 40 million euros to improve the trails on the Invierno, with the goal of taking the camino off the road. The Xunta has done a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back