• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Survey: Heavy comfortable pack vs Lighter less comfortable pack?

starrysky

Time of past OR future Camino
april-june 2022
OK folks- I’d like to take a survey of your knowledge/experience of the following:
Which is better?: A comfortable backpack that weighs 2.5lbs, VS an ultralight backpack that may be less comfortable but is less than 1lb.

In the past I walked the CF with a Deuter Trail 28L SL, which was totally comfortable and just perfect in all ways except for being heavy (2 1/2 lbs). Right now, I’m comparing that to an older model of the REI Flash 22 with a Gossamer Gear fast belt attached, coming in at less than 1lb- it’s 87oz and only costs $50! I had never realized how much weight the Deuter backpack added until one day on the CF due to an injury I DID check my bag ahead and was amazed at how freeing and different it was to carry the little day bag with necessities instead. I realized that the little day bag (a Sea to Summit nano pack) was actually sufficient if I were to just add a sleeping system and another layer of clothes.

I’m an older person who is doing everything I can to avoid injury both in body and with gear including losing weight with both in preparation for an April 1st CF. I just don’t know if overall the heavier but more comfortable bag is a liability or is it better as opposed to the lighter weight pack that so far seems fine but is not as robust in terms of cushioning, material or comfort. I wonder if there’s any science about how the body responds to either of these on a long-distance pilgrimage such as the CF. Thanks in advance oh ye camino experts!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I would always go for a slightly heavier pack which has broad shoulder straps and a padded hip belt. I carry most of the weight through the hip belt and the small difference in weight is well worth it for the comfort over a less structured ultralight pack without them.

I would always go for a slightly heavier pack which has broad shoulder straps and a padded hip belt. I carry most of the weight through the hip belt and the small difference in weight is well worth it for the comfort over a less structured ultralight pack without them.
Thanks but the part i don’t get is- isn’t the weight bearing down on the hips including the pack weight which is more than double the lighter pack? i’ll only be carrying something like 6lbs without water or snacks included and i just wonder if it makes sense to have about 1/3 of that weight i’m carrying to be the pack itself?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The idea of carrying a lighter overall load is to be more comfortable. If the lighter load isn't more comfortable then there's no point to it in my opinion.
thanks that makes sense- you’ve made me realize that is what i’m going for: lighter weight as in greater comfort. I haven’t gotten very far in testing the Flash 22 yet but I’m going to see how it goes - it takes some getting used to and it seems that the way i load it up and cinch it down will have a lot to do with the comfort. maybe it’s a stupid question to begin with!

Thanks but the part i don’t get is- isn’t the weight bearing down on the hips including the pack weight which is more than double the lighter pack?
With a pack without an effective hip belt all the weight is initially taken on the shoulders. Though of course it is also being borne by the hips below them. I find that quickly makes the shoulders uncomfortable. An additional issue is that without a hip belt and perhaps a chest strap the pack is inclined to slip about a bit when being carried. I find that very irritating.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
isn’t the weight bearing down on the hips including the pack weight which is more than double the lighter pack?
It is not simply the amount of weight bearing down. The angle at which the weight pulls the body in various places - the torque - is very important in its effect, especially on the back and the shoulders.

It is not simply the amount of weight bearing down. The angle at which the weight pulls the body in various places - the torque - is very important in its effect, especially on the back and the shoulders.
thanks- this is one thing i was sort of wondering about in terms of the structure of the pack. is there any resource i could look at in this regard? by the way, the flash 22 has a chest strap and hip belt (gossamer gear fast belt w/pockets.)

With a pack without an effective hip belt all the weight is initially taken on the shoulders. Though of course it is also being borne by the hips below them. I find that quickly makes the shoulders uncomfortable. An additional issue is that without a hip belt and perhaps a chest strap the pack is inclined to slip about a bit when being carried. I find that very irritating.
the flash 22 has a chest belt and has an attached GG fast belt but i guess the key word here from your post is “effective”- i guess only experience with it will tell whether the hip belt will do the job once water and snacks are added.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am inclined to think that the best research would be to go for a 4 hour walk one day with one pack, take a rest day, and then go for a 4 hour walk with the other one. Which one would you choose for a third walk?
yep that is good idea. i guess i was just wondering what others found re these different types of packs. you know how it goes with these decisions! i think i’m overly cautious now that i walked last time with an injury sustained along the way and i really would love to try to do everything possible to avoid that happening next time!

I don't have experience with your rather specific choices, but I have tried both approaches with larger packs. I used the Osprey Levity to walk the Augustine Camino in December and had a higher volume load than I had on previous caminos. It was under the recommended maximum load specified by Osprey. When I used it on the CP in 2022, and I added a CPAP and additional medications that I needed at the time, it went over the recommended max load. It was a far less comfortable trip. This year in Norway, I decided to use the Deuter Guide 45+ I used some years ago on the CI, CF and walking to Muxia and Fisterra. My packing list was the same as the CP, but my food bag was generally heavier as there are far fewer places to get supplies, even on the Gudbrandsdalsleden route. It was pretty tight getting it all into a 45li pack, but the extra support provided by the Deuter harness made it much more comfortable to carry.

My view is both approaches have their place, but more care is needed if you are going to choose the pack with the lighter harness. You need to keep it well within the load limits. If that isn't possible, then I would be choosing the pack rated to carry the load I need to carry.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think each pack is designed to be used up to it's limits, but not way above or even below. As it won't function in the comfortable zone. Added to which it's shape when carrying needs to be maintained, determined by it's loading and items involved; to retain it's best functioning.

I have a framed pack which I would now use for long distance wilderness walks in changeable conditions. It's fit is consistent but I carry the weight of it throughout, which is near 8 lbs. Total daily weight 35-40 lbs. Which I did recently in the Sweden section of St Olav'sleden. Where I camped each night but one when it was stormy and rained heavily.

For Camino and or recreational walking, where one can expect an infrastructure, I am going to try an Exped lightweight 60l pack. That includes tent, cooking, sleep and clothes. Daily weight 20-25 lbs. I will expect on occasion to carry some food prior to camping maybe for an hour or so.

Just like any kit you arrive at finding what's good after a long and costly period of discovery.

Your body will adjust to the minimal weight difference, true discomfort, from my experience, just gets worse over time. To me, having to carry the majority of the weight on your shoulders, if not already, will become true discomfort.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Every year my local Camino chapter hosts a gear event at our local Gearheads, and the experts there have always told us that while you will save weight with an untralight pack, a structured pack will actually feel lighter because of how it will sit on your back. My advice would be to choose whatever pack feels most comfortable to you, and would reiterate what others have said, that your pack should rest on your hips not your shoulders and should be equipped with waist and chest straps.

OK folks- I’d like to take a survey of your knowledge/experience of the following:
Which is better?: A comfortable backpack that weighs 2.5lbs, VS an ultralight backpack that may be less comfortable but is less than 1lb.

In the past I walked the CF with a Deuter Trail 28L SL, which was totally comfortable and just perfect in all ways except for being heavy (2 1/2 lbs). Right now, I’m comparing that to an older model of the REI Flash 22 with a Gossamer Gear fast belt attached, coming in at less than 1lb- it’s 87oz and only costs $50! I had never realized how much weight the Deuter backpack added until one day on the CF due to an injury I DID check my bag ahead and was amazed at how freeing and different it was to carry the little day bag with necessities instead. I realized that the little day bag (a Sea to Summit nano pack) was actually sufficient if I were to just add a sleeping system and another layer of clothes.

I’m an older person who is doing everything I can to avoid injury both in body and with gear including losing weight with both in preparation for an April 1st CF. I just don’t know if overall the heavier but more comfortable bag is a liability or is it better as opposed to the lighter weight pack that so far seems fine but is not as robust in terms of cushioning, material or comfort. I wonder if there’s any science about how the body responds to either of these on a long-distance pilgrimage such as the CF. Thanks in advance oh ye camino experts!
I tried an ultra light weight 22L pack on the Portuguese Camino in June. The waist belt was totally ineffective in helping me carry the weight on my hips. Too light weight and not sufficiently padded. My back started aching every day at about 10km. It was a disaster. I have hiked many, many KM all over the world and never had this problem. Anyone interested in an ultralight 22L cheap?? Let me say that I have other, more fully featured ultralight backpacks that I continue to use that have great waist belts and straps and are very effective and comfortable.

I bought an ultralight pack, the design more like a runners ‘fast pack’. It cost much more than I usually pay for my gear…but I’d drunk the marketing Kool-Aid. Like all the ultralights, the straps were not substantial and it was not robust. Some of the straps seemed not much more than hair braids. I was crestfallen tbh, as I’d dropped enough dough on it that I was trying to lock myself into something I knew was a dud.

In a couple of weeks I’ll be on the CF with a Gregory Zulu 30l. I got it on sale (win), I’ve already used a heavier Zulu so am used to how it rides (win), is very comfy (win), it’s robust (win) and capping me at 30l (win) means I’m prevented from taking too much.

So I’d go for comfy 100% if I were you. If you encounter difficulties on the path, go to a Decathlon and buy a cheap bag and use the baggage forward services which are common. Just make sure to load your heavy stuff into the cheap bag for forwarding and use your comfy pack for the path. Don’t bang yourself up if you feel like your not being a “purist”.

I feel that the hiking “scene” has become far, far too marketing centred. Many of the YouTube vids seem the be “advertorials” now. Whether you’re hauling a Mystery Ranch pack ($$$) or a surplus Alice pack (ouch) …the nature views are the same.

When I last walked, a couple of years ago. I used a Rocky 35+5. It wasn't quite full but it was really comfortable. I walked from Porto to Santiago aged 76! Bom/Buen Camino.

Adding, I also had a body belt which could be worn discreetly under my outer clothing. In it were passport, credit cards and other important information such as next of kin. Buen/ Bom Camino.

Walked 3 Caminos so far with frameless packs. It works really well. I switched to another pack after #1, mainly for comfort reasons. The new one, when properly packed, is indeed quite comfortable. But more importantly than the weight of the pack i carry is what i put inside. Doesn't help if my pack is less than 500g if i put 8kg inside.
As an added bonus to being light, my pack is pretty much waterproof and has some other nice features like usable side pockets and a big front mesh. Features i never seen on the mainstream packs...

Don't want to discredit framed/heavier packs, everything has its purpose. But on the more frequented caminos it is so easy to pack light, i dont really see a need for a framed backpack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can always find ways to lighten your load but an uncomfortable pack is permanent.
My point would be that a lightweight pack needn't be uncomfortable if it is used within the specified load range. That was certainly the case with the Osprey Levity when I used it with a lighter load.

I have also used frameless packs, but with mixed results. I wouldn't rule out a lightweight pack if the load I was considering wasn't going to exceed the manufacturer's recommendations.

Aarn packs with front balance pockets put ALL the load on the hips when properly worn. The Featherlite model is 2.7 lbs. plus 10 oz. for the pair of balance pockets. Pricey though!

Thanks but the part i don’t get is- isn’t the weight bearing down on the hips including the pack weight which is more than double the lighter pack?
I’m with @Rick Davidson. The key for me is that if the weight isn’t pulled down to your hips, which can typically carry the load without strain on any body part, the weight will go onto your back and shoulders. I can walk for days with my 20-lb internal frame pack, but if I have a regular old day pack that weighs a few pounds with a water bottle and a guidebook, my lower back will start hurting after a couple of hours. Some people love the ultra-light packs and have no problem with them, but it would kill my lower back. I wouldn’t set out with an ultra-light pack unless I was sure my back wouldn’t revolt against it.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I suspect you are placing too much trust in all manufacturers' specifications. Personal experimentation remains necessary.
Clearly I don't have practical experience with every pack from every maker, but my collectiion over the years has included packs from at least eight different makers in sizes ranging from sub-20li daypacks to 65li plus trekking packs. And yes, with some I have tried many different approaches to loading. But this only goes so far. Do I trust all manufacturers? Whether I do or not isn't really relevant. It would be impossible to test every single one of all of their claims, so one has to put some trust them unless there is evidence that they are unreliable.

Last edited:
I’ve commented previously in similar threads, boots/shoes and packs are either your best or worst friends on the trail. A day or weekend pack is very different than one you’ll carry every day for a month or longer. Make the time to choose wisely. Read Cheryl Strayed’s Wild about her pack, Monster.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So.. what's the answer to OPs question?
"Make time to chose wisely" did not provide a clear answer

My point would be that a lightweight pack needn't be uncomfortable if it is used within the specified load range. That was certainly the case with the Osprey Levity when I used it with a lighter load.

I have also used frameless packs, but with mixed results. I wouldn't rule out a lightweight pack if the load I was considering wasn't going to exceed the manufacturer's recommendations.
Mostly a pack will feel comfortable if kept within the designed load limits, however for some people a certain pack will not sit right or feel comfortable no matter how much load and strap adjustment is made. For many years I have used a Mariposa Plus from Gossamer Gear, a great pack that suited me perfectly. However time has taken its toll and on my last Camino it was held together with duct tape for the last few hundred kilometres. Now it has been honourably retired and I have a new Wallaroo 45 from Neve Gear. Looks good so far but the first real test will be my upcoming Camino.

I walked the Camino Frances at the age of 69, carrying a Deuter pack that weighed 3.19lb (1450gms) before putting anything in it. I'm an average sized woman, weighing about 9 stone. Most of the bag weight was carried on the hips via the waist belt, not the shoulders and I did a lot of practice walks carrying a full pack for a couple of hours beforehand. I also took far more than the recommended 10% of body weight (which I offloaded along the way!)

The bag was so comfortable that by the end of the Camino I felt lost when I wasn't carrying it! I'd suggest you go for the comfortable Deuter rather than the lighter, less comfortable pack.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
So.. what's the answer to OPs question?
"Make time to chose wisely" did not provide a clear answer
From my first post, comfort.

“Your body will adjust to the minimal weight difference, true discomfort, from my experience, just gets worse over time. To me, having to carry the majority of the weight on your shoulders, if not already, will become true discomfort.”

Thanks to all for great advice - just about to get a new pack.

If you can keep your load down to 6 pounds plus water and pack of nuts, you can probably get by on the ultralight.

The pack choice depends on the purpose and load being carried. IMHO the load tends to increase on route, or at least it feels that way. My spouse tends to add lots of snacks, like bananas and oranges with very thick peel. :)

If comfort and versatility are important, then I agree with those above who suggest starting with the quality of the shoulder and chest straps, and hip belt. That will almost certainly lead to some type of internal frame. The comfort and versatility is well worth the additional pound or so.

Start light, arrive even lighter. :)

I bought an ultralight pack, the design more like a runners ‘fast pack’. It cost much more than I usually pay for my gear…but I’d drunk the marketing Kool-Aid. Like all the ultralights, the straps were not substantial and it was not robust. Some of the straps seemed not much more than hair braids. I was crestfallen tbh, as I’d dropped enough dough on it that I was trying to lock myself into something I knew was a dud.

In a couple of weeks I’ll be on the CF with a Gregory Zulu 30l. I got it on sale (win), I’ve already used a heavier Zulu so am used to how it rides (win), is very comfy (win), it’s robust (win) and capping me at 30l (win) means I’m prevented from taking too much.

So I’d go for comfy 100% if I were you. If you encounter difficulties on the path, go to a Decathlon and buy a cheap bag and use the baggage forward services which are common. Just make sure to load your heavy stuff into the cheap bag for forwarding and use your comfy pack for the path. Don’t bang yourself up if you feel like your not being a “purist”.

I feel that the hiking “scene” has become far, far too marketing centred. Many of the YouTube vids seem the be “advertorials” now. Whether you’re hauling a Mystery Ranch pack ($$$) or a surplus Alice pack (ouch) …the nature views are the same.
yes- i’m exploring the ultralight packs because of physical issues and just trying to avoid sending pack ahead as i don’t like booking ahead, but we’ll see what happens after some long training hikes locally. it all may be an impossible dream and i’ll be back to my tried and true deuter! thanks so much!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I walked the Camino Frances at the age of 69, carrying a Deuter pack that weighed 3.19lb (1450gms) before putting anything in it. I'm an average sized woman, weighing about 9 stone. Most of the bag weight was carried on the hips via the waist belt, not the shoulders and I did a lot of practice walks carrying a full pack for a couple of hours beforehand. I also took far more than the recommended 10% of body weight (which I offloaded along the way!)

The bag was so comfortable that by the end of the Camino I felt lost when I wasn't carrying it! I'd suggest you go for the comfortable Deuter rather than the lighter, less comfortable pack.
idk which deuter you had, but yes, the trail 28 sl was so fantastic i didn’t know i was wearing it. it wasn’t until i had to send a bag ahead one day that i realized how wonderful it was to carry less weight!

Mostly a pack will feel comfortable if kept within the designed load limits, however for some people a certain pack will not sit right or feel comfortable no matter how much load and strap adjustment is made. For many years I have used a Mariposa Plus from Gossamer Gear, a great pack that suited me perfectly. However time has taken its toll and on my last Camino it was held together with duct tape for the last few hundred kilometres. Now it has been honourably retired and I have a new Wallaroo 45 from Neve Gear. Looks good so far but the first real test will be my upcoming Camino.
i hope it works out! buen camino :)

Walked 3 Caminos so far with frameless packs. It works really well. I switched to another pack after #1, mainly for comfort reasons. The new one, when properly packed, is indeed quite comfortable. But more importantly than the weight of the pack i carry is what i put inside. Doesn't help if my pack is less than 500g if i put 8kg inside.
As an added bonus to being light, my pack is pretty much waterproof and has some other nice features like usable side pockets and a big front mesh. Features i never seen on the mainstream packs...

Don't want to discredit framed/heavier packs, everything has its purpose. But on the more frequented caminos it is so easy to pack light, i dont really see a need for a framed backpack.
sounds good-so which frameless pack do you have?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m a light convert, after using the Gossamer Gear Kumo recently. Just need to pack light so it carries well, not great for a cold weather trip.

sounds good-so which frameless pack do you have?
I use a Bonfus Iterus with the padded hipbelt and pockets. I fold a 2mm sleeping mat inside for some extra back cushioning. All together slightly below 500g.
The Kumo that was mentioned in the previous post is a bit more beginner friendly, cheaper and also a very good pack. A few grams heavier and not as waterproof however.

edit: i have the first version of the Iterus, which was made from DCF. The newer version made from Ultra seems to be a bit heavier.

Individual choice- but we bought Speedlight Deuter 32- thinking the lighter weight would be good. But after 4 weeks of longer training walks- found that was rubbing on hips & just a bit uncomfortable. Switched to a heavier but more padded one & felt so much better- could walk all day without noticing the pack - rubbing or the pulling on shoulders. Ended up buying Osprey Sirius 36 and very happy made the switch.

I am using my Osprey 22 rather than my Osprey 36 this year and really regretting it. The 36 is longer, fits my body better and sits on my hips well whereas the slim belt on the 22 means that it rides over my hips and not only weighs on my shoulders but also compresses my hips and makes it harder to step.

The 22 is okay as a day pack but I have learned my lesson and will revert to the 36 for any multi day hikes.

I think that a major factor for me this year is the extreme heat. I am carrying a full bladder plus another litre (kilo) of water for a total of an extra 2.5 kilos of water weight and with the resultant total weight I would have been much better to tolerate the extra weight of the backpack in exchange for the much better comfort of the 36.

The only real plus of the 22 is that no one even bats an eye when I walk onto the aircraft with it as cabin baggage. No lost bags for me!

Last edited:
Aarn packs with front balance pockets put ALL the load on the hips when properly worn. The Featherlite model is 2.7 lbs. plus 10 oz. for the pair of balance pockets. Pricey though!
I took an Aarn Pack on the French Camino.

Thanks to all for great advice - just about to get a new pack.

If you can keep your load down to 6 pounds plus water and pack of nuts, you can probably get by on the ultralight.

The pack choice depends on the purpose and load being carried. IMHO the load tends to increase on route, or at least it feels that way. My spouse tends to add lots of snacks, like bananas and oranges with very thick peel. :)

If comfort and versatility are important, then I agree with those above who suggest starting with the quality of the shoulder and chest straps, and hip belt. That will almost certainly lead to some type of internal frame. The comfort and versatility is well worth the additional pound or so.

Start light, arrive even lighter. :)
yes the weight of those orange and banana peels is oppressive! LOL :)))

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
yes the weight of those orange and banana peels is oppressive! LOL :)))
while i do not share the sentiment of "6 pounds" since i walked with closer to 9 + water in my ultralight pack i do have to say that you do, even if correctly packed, recognize the difference of a few pounds of your pack.

Say i have 4kg in my pack worst case (aka wearing the least amount of clothing), having to walk a remote route (say hospitales) and thus carry 2l of water, some lunch and just for the fun of it a bottle of wine. Thats 7.5kg riding on my back.
Say a different day i wear lots more clothing because its cold and i only carry half a liter of water because now I'm on the last stretch of the Frances just before Santiago. I'm gonna have 4kg and change riding on my back. Excactly the same basic loadout, world of a difference.

This is what we use for our training for the Camino central. This is our day-pack and we carry the following inside the 4 compartments: 2 16.9 oz water bottles, snacks, 1st aid kit, gloves, hand sanitizer, rain gear, shoe rain cover, cooling bandana, phone battery pack, small picnic mat, cellphone, (ID, Medical Info, cash) small notebook and pencil.

We are experimenting with a 33 oz bladder with a straw to ease water access. It fits where exactly where we carry the two bottles. If you need extra water we are looking at adding two bottle carriers in the front (this alone could be what you are looking for) attached to the belt for front-to-back balance. Pictures included.

Buen Camino

My first CF I took a frameless Black Wolf Titanium 35L backpack but walked in August so no sleeping bag just a liner. No problem . I then did 2 further caminos with Osprey Eja 38 backpack with frame. The first one in August from Le Puy with no sleeping bag was no problem. Last years CF in October I carried a sleeping bag and felt the added weight in my shoulders. I think the weight is the deciding factor.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My first CF I took a frameless Black Wolf Titanium 35L backpack but walked in August so no sleeping bag just a liner. No problem . I then did 2 further caminos with Osprey Eja 38 backpack with frame. The first one in August from Le Puy with no sleeping bag was no problem. Last years CF in October I carried a sleeping bag and felt the added weight in my shoulders. I think the weight is the deciding factor.
Apologize, I learned that only personal pictures could be published and no on-line pictures are permitted. Perhaps I will try links. Cross Body Hip Pack, the other items are described as Compact Edc Water Bottle Holder, and 33.81oz Durable Tpu Water Bladder. We have hiked up to 10 miles with no back, hip, or weight issues. Fully loaded with 4 plastic water bottles (67.6 ounces) it has a total weight of 9.75 pounds (4.4 kilos).

In preparation for my Camino, I've wondered the same thing. I don't have any science to back up my coming opinion, only a one-person anecdote.

I've tested the following: Deuter Trail 28 SL, Tom Bihn Smart Alec 26L, LiteAF Curve 20L Frameless, ULA Equipment Circuit 60L (huge, but can be rolled down and cinched into the 30L range), and Gregory Maya 20L.

Testing included loading and wearing to narrow options down. Elimination round was loading and going for a 5-mile hike.

The load I carried was my 8-pound base weight. I am amazed at how different the same weight feels in each of these packs. The Gregory is twice as heavy as the lightest pack in the group, but I can't feel the load at all. It's just comfortable. Meanwhile, in the lightest pack, the load felt unwieldy/noticeable/annoying.

I was very surprised because I'd been persuaded to think that the lightest pack possible was a worthy goal. I've changed my mind on that.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
The load I carried was my 8-pound base weight. I am amazed at how different the same weight feels in each of these packs. The Gregory is twice as heavy as the lightest pack in the group, but I can't feel the load at all. It's just comfortable. Meanwhile, in the lightest pack, the load felt unwieldy/noticeable/annoying.

I was very surprised because I'd been persuaded to think that the lightest pack possible was a worthy goal. I've changed my mind on that.

The most comfortable pack is the goal for me.

The most comfortable pack is the goal for me.

After my odyssey in search of a backpack for my camino, I now can only say the same thing. I came up with the idea that a fastpack, because it's super-light, and because that's what I use regularly, would be best. I didn't understand all these posts extolling the benefits of backpacks with a frame.

Fast forward 4 weeks later, 1 month before my departure, after ordering and returning no less than 7 (!!!) backpacks.... I still don't have one, but I know I want a bag that's comfortable over time before anything else, with a frame.

I started hiking with a way too big and too heavy pack (2.9kg empty) and went to one of the lightest Osprey packs that I've found in a local hiking shop some time later (2.1kg).

After changing to a 1kg ULA pack (first a waterresist Circuit X-pac followed by a Ultra Circuit pack), I will never go back to the heavy packs, despite the missing distance of back to pack (and hence more sweat in the pack). To get rid of 1kg by the pack alone was worth the thing, plus I never understand why top tiers like Osprey have so many drawbacks compared to the ULA ones. Example: I can easily grab my 1.5l bottles from the packs's sides while walking. I haven't found a method on most Ospreys to do this - my ankles of the arm/hand can't manage to grab the bottle, drink from it and put it back - without unmounting my backpack from my back.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is what we use for our training for the Camino central. This is our day-pack and we carry the following inside the 4 compartments: 2 16.9 oz water bottles, snacks, 1st aid kit, gloves, hand sanitizer, rain gear, shoe rain cover, cooling bandana, phone battery pack, small picnic mat, cellphone, (ID, Medical Info, cash) small notebook and pencil.

We are experimenting with a 33 oz bladder with a straw to ease water access. It fits where exactly where we carry the two bottles. If you need extra water we are looking at adding two bottle carriers in the front (this alone could be what you are looking for) attached to the belt for front-to-back balance. Pictures included.

Buen Camino
hi i don’t see the photos! thanks :)

I started hiking with a way too big and too heavy pack (2.9kg empty) and went to one of the lightest Osprey packs that I've found in a local hiking shop some time later (2.1kg).

After changing to a 1kg ULA pack (first a waterresist Circuit X-pac followed by a Ultra Circuit pack), I will never go back to the heavy packs, despite the missing distance of back to pack (and hence more sweat in the pack). To get rid of 1kg by the pack alone was worth the thing, plus I never understand why top tiers like Osprey have so many drawbacks compared to the ULA ones. Example: I can easily grab my 1.5l bottles from the packs's sides while walking. I haven't found a method on most Ospreys to do this - my ankles of the arm/hand can't manage to grab the bottle, drink from it and put it back - without unmounting my backpack from my back.
right now, i’m experimenting with an Arcteryx Aeros 18L pack I found on Ebay for 1/2 the price! Similarly, it is very easy to retrieve the water bottles from the pockets (plus it has 2 built in pockets on the straps. Does anyone else have experience with this pack? I’m only up to 4 mile daily walks with it right now- we’ll see but I do really love it so far! (It has vest-style straps instead of the usual kind.). It weighs 1 lb 4 oz.

right now, i’m experimenting with an Arcteryx Aeros 18L pack I found on Ebay for 1/2 the price! Similarly, it is very easy to retrieve the water bottles from the pockets
Yes, this has become a dealbreaker for me in the meantime. Whenever I try out a new pack (and still stick with my ULA packs) I try this first: can I get a waterbottle out AND back in from the sidepockets without luxation of my hand-ancles or even worse: unfasten the backpack in order to grab the waterbottle comfortably.

Sorry, no experience with that Arc'teryx one. Though, 18l seems a bit small for a long hike :)

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.