• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting my first Camino September 2024

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Woody! Just booked my ticket to Biarritz. Arriving at around 3.30 pm and looking for the best way to get to SJPP. Thinking of stopping at Valcarlos on my first day. I'm reasonably fit - but I want a slower start that will give me some time to smell the roses (and coffee) along the way.

Thinking of stopping at Valcarlos on my first day.
I mean theres nothing wrong with going via Valcarlos I guess, but generally people only do so if the weather is bad. Perhaps instead consider Orisson or what would be my choice Borda on the more general route. I haven't done the Valcarlos route but certainly the more general route is very beautiful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi. I'm travelling from London to SJPDP on 3rd/4th September, taking the overnight sleeper and changing at Bayonne and Dax, Arrive in SJPDP at around 10 am on 4th . I'm walking to Burgos. I walked to Santiago in April and May but want to experience the first part again. Am walking to Orisson day 1 ( Napoleon Route) and then hopefully getting transport back to SJPDP as Orisson have no beds. Will take taxi back to Orisson and walk to Roncevalles the next day. Don't want to walk the whole way on my first day. Excited!

Hi. I'm travelling from London to SJPDP on 3rd/4th September, taking the overnight sleeper and changing at Bayonne and Dax, Arrive in SJPDP at around 10 am on 4th . I'm walking to Burgos. I walked to Santiago in April and May but want to experience the first part again. Am walking to Orisson day 1 ( Napoleon Route) and then hopefully getting transport back to SJPDP as Orisson have no beds. Will take taxi back to Orisson and walk to Roncevalles the next day. Don't want to walk the whole way on my first day. Excited!
Have you tried Borda for accommodation?

I mean theres nothing wrong with going via Valcarlos I guess, but generally people only do so if the weather is bad. Perhaps instead consider Orisson or what would be my choice Borda on the more general route. I haven't done the Valcarlos route but certainly the more general route is very beautiful.
Thank you...yes you are right - especially in the winter - but some people have done it by choice and loved it...Valcarlos is calling me this time. Next time perhaps straight to Roncesvalles...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello!!
I'm finally doing it - excited and nervous. Travelling to SJPP from London on September 6. Will start walking from September 8. Have been going through very useful threads on this forum for the last couple of years....just registered and look forward to engaging with the community here...
Buen Camino......see you on the trail, I'm starting in Sarria and begin Thurs 19th Sept.....

They were fully booked too! Thanks
I loved the Valcarlos route. Orrison was fully booked as I'd waited too long on my first Camino to reserve a bed in the spring of 2015. I feared a possible injury going up and over all the way to Roncesvalles the first day, so decided to go to Valcarlos. I enjoyed it so much that I chose to walk there again in 2017. Do not underestimate it's beauty, variety of features, terrain, and a more peaceful walk.
If weather predictions are for fog, rain and wind on the Napoleon, the Valcarlos will usually be a more enjoyable experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm starting the camino on sept. 27 in Leon. I'm a bit apprehensive to start the journey alone. Are any other ladies going to be starting then also and want to walk that first leg? OR, are there...
Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as...
Hi. I'm starting at SJPDP on Thursday 12 September. Quite nervous as the weather has been rainy and misty and my biggest concern is spotting the signs.
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: What's the weather trend for this year? Am I a fool to not...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
September 19, @FallCamino2024, (SJPdP) âś…

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back