• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stamps Question Again

F

Former member 116840

Hello everyone, I apologize because I know there are other threads on this topic and I have read them thoroughly but I just want to be super sure.

When I did the Camino Primitivo in 2022, I got one stamp per day all the way through to the Cathedral and I was able to get my certificate.

I’m starting in Lisbon which is about 620 km to the cathedral. From what I read in the last thread that is now closed from @peregrina2000 , it doesn’t matter if I’m starting from Lisbon. I can get a stamp a day but once I hit that last 100 km, I must get two stamps per day. Do I understand this correctly? I just want to make sure I don’t walk all the way to Cathedral and find out I can’t get my certificate, lol. Thanks for your guidance, everyone!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Do I understand this correctly?

Yes! Whether you’ll get a Compostela presenting just one stamp per day for the last 100 km at the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago could depend on the person in the office having a good day. To be on the safe side (and go by the rule), make sure to get two stamps per day.

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Yes! Whether you’ll get a Compostela presenting just one stamp per day for the last 100 km at the Pilgrim’s Office in Santiago could depend on the person in the office having a good day. To be on the safe side (and go by the rule), make sure to get two stamps per day.

Buen Camino!
Thank you!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tour operators, travel companies, whatever they call themselves, have their own agenda, which surprisingly isn't about what's in your best interest but what's in theirs: taking your money. They shouldn't be relied on for reliable information regarding your compostela.

The two stamps per day for the last 100km rule has been in place for a number of years, but it's being more strictly applied now.. Just try to remember, one in the morning at the first bar you stop at, one when you arrive at your albergue or whatever and you'll be fine. Ignore anyone who says it's fine, my granny got one with only one stamp a day etc.

Tour operators, travel companies, whatever they call themselves, have their own agenda, which surprisingly isn't about what's in your best interest but what's in theirs: taking your money. They shouldn't be relied on for reliable information regarding your compostela.

The two stamps per day for the last 100km rule has been in place for a number of years, but it's being more strictly applied now.. Just try to remember, one in the morning at the first bar you stop at, one when you arrive at your albergue or whatever and you'll be fine. Ignore anyone who says it's fine, my granny got one with only one stamp a day etc.
Thank you, I must’ve gotten lucky on the Primitivo. Though I think on average I must have been getting two a day and just didn’t realize it. I’ll have to go back and look at my old credential. Thanks for the tip of first bar I stop at and then my albergue. That’s a good rule of thumb. 👍🏻

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, I’ve noticed that those of us using touring companies that include luggage transfers is a bit frowned upon by some on the forum. I respect different viewpoints on the matter, but for me personally, I don’t see it as chasing my luggage at all.

My close friend died in November and it has just been a devastating time. I know that I don’t need to explain a personal decision, but I just needed some extra assistance with handling logistics this time around. I didn’t have the headspace to handle 31 days of bookings and just wanted to focus on my friend.

I’m taking his ashes to the Santiago de Compostale on behalf of his family and I’m so honored to be able to walk the 600+ kilometers to do so.

While the information the company provided me regarding the stamps was incorrect, for those who might be considering using a company like them for their own personal reasons, I can vouch that they’ve been great to me in all other ways.

I’m also grateful for forums like this where I’ve received clarity on how many stamps I need per day as I embark on my spiritual journey tomorrow morning. I appreciate everyone’s help here on the forum with that.

I’ve noticed that those of us using touring companies that include luggage transfers is a bit frowned upon by some on the forum.
I would say that there is a reaction to the assumption that using touring companies is the necessary and typical approach. Many people are surprised to learn that it is not hard or unusual to do it yourself. There is lots of room for people for make the best decision for themselves, but we like them to understand the pros and cons.

I'm glad you've gotten good information from both perspectives. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would say that there is a reaction to the assumption that using touring companies is the necessary and typical approach. Many people are surprised to learn that it is not hard or unusual to do it yourself. There is lots of room for people for make the best decision for themselves, but we like them to understand the pros and cons.

I'm glad you've gotten good information from both perspectives. Buen Camino!
I would agree, @C clearly , it’s not difficult to do it yourself. But may I add that it could also be an assumption to think that the only reason one might choose to use a company is because it’s believed to be necessary and typical. It may simply be preferable, given certain circumstances, like the one that I described above.

I don’t consider my choice luggage chasing any more than I would consider the choice of those who don’t book their accommodations in advance as bed chasing. I have respect for both.

I responded to the original comment of luggage chasing because it didn’t feel like it was designed to give me the pros and cons of using a company. It hit me as a simplification of a deeply personal decision for which one couldn’t possibly assume the reasons it was made. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
it could also be an assumption to think that the only reason one might choose to use a company is because it’s believed to be necessary and typical. It may simply be preferable, given certain circumstances, like the one that I described above.
Yes, that would be an inappropriate assumption. It certainly isn't the only reason to choose a company.

I’ve noticed that those of us using touring companies that include luggage transfers is a bit frowned upon by some on the forum.

Yes, some never miss a chance to do that. Don't worry about it - enjoy your walk.

There is lots of room for people for make the best decision for themselves, but we like them to understand the pros and cons.

Yes, good advice with good intentions should not be ignored. Unfortunately it frequently takes on quite a different form.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
While the information the company provided me regarding the stamps was incorrect, for those who might be considering using a company like them for their own personal reasons, I can vouch that they’ve been great to me in all other ways.
Many people are surprised to learn that it is not hard or unusual to do it yourself.
I am sorry about your personal misfortune. I have feelings both personal and observational about touring companies that is not appropriate for this thread. I know all people who use companies have their reasons. I often hope that for those who are just unsure or not confident that they can do a camino on their own that the experience changes them in one important way. That it shows, most importantly they can do a camino. Secondly I hope it gives them the confidence to do their next camino without the help of any company or person. I do truly believe that there is a great benefit of having the freedom to walk at your own pace, to stop, go, sleep and rest based on nothing but what your body is telling you to do. Buen Camino

Last edited:
A couple of years ago a good friend of mine asked me to accompany and "guide" him and some friends on the Caminho Portugues. I already had other Camino plans and declined. His friends bailed. He signed up with a tour company to walk with a guided group. I emphatically told him he didn't need to as he was a worldwide long distance hiker and had traveled a lot in Spain in rental cars. He stuck with his tour group. His wife accompanied him and they both had a great Camino. I have met tour guides on the Caminos and they are delightful and knowledgeable people. Each to his own. Buen Camino

I am sorry about your personal misfortune. I have feelings both personal and observational about touring companies that is not appropriate for this thread. I know all people who use companies have their reasons. I often hope that for those who are just unsure or not confident that they can do a camino on their own that the experience changes them in one important way. That it shows, most importantly they can do a camino. Secondly I hope it gives them the confidence to do their next camino without the help of any company or person. I do truly believe that there is a great benefit of having the freedom to walk at your own pace, to stop, go, sleep and rest based on nothing but what your body is telling you to do. Buen Camino
I understand and respect your experience, but I too can only speak from my own. I think the focus on the use of touring companies in general and not why I personally used one is what has been a bit frustrating for me. All of this evolved out of a simple question that I asked about stamps, which I definitely regret now.

Not that I need to explain (and I’m becoming frustrated with myself for doing it, so that’s on me), but the grief of losing one of my closest friends so suddenly has been really rough. My normal type A organizing brain has been in a deep fog for many months now, a common symptom of grief. I was grateful for the assistance so I could grieve and train for six months and not make mistakes with bookings that might have caused me unnecessary stress.

Also, not that it matters, but to clarify, I’m not using a tour guide or walking in a group. I’m walking solo with my own maps and no technology, except at the albergues. The company just arranged all accommodations for me in advance and my luggage transfers to each of them. I also wanted a private room and bath at each of my stops since I’m still in active grief. They helped make sure that happened and to arrange a daily walking pace that worked for me. They did all of this with a great amount of compassion and for that, I’m deeply grateful.

I’m not looking for approval from anyone here, but I do want to advocate for myself and for anyone else here who might need a different experience. The focus seems off topic and a lot of assumptions are still being made. This includes the assumption that everyone must want or need the same Camino experience. Not everyone does.

I think it’s great if people want to “hard-core” their Camino as a challenge to themselves. Some may want to simply say they walked the distance. That in itself might be transformative for them. Their priority might not be whether they do it solo or without a tour company in a limited or full capacity. Does that make their Camino any less valuable? If so, why? Because it doesn’t meet the arbitrary standards or experiences of other pilgrims who chose a different path and are convinced it is the only way?

The reason for my comments was one user’s comment on “chasing my luggage” which couldn’t be further from the reality of my experience. While he couldn’t have known what a tender journey this has been for me thus far, it’s important to consider that one doesn’t know. In the humility of that admission, perhaps one might refrain from the personal opinions or judgments that really have nothing to do with what someone might be experiencing.

I walked 40 km today. How is that any less bad ass whether I used a company to arrange my accommodation and forward my luggage for me or not? Or any less bad ass for the terrified person doing it for the first time that wants the added support of a group? If it’s the only way they can move past their fear versus not doing it at all, who cares?

I’m proud of my Camino thus far. My spiritual goals for this Camino are mine alone, as they are to each and every pilgrim. I’m here to walk my friend home to God. I won’t have it implied that doing so is somehow diminished because I didn’t call the albergues myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I understand and respect your experience, but I too can only speak from my own. I think the focus on the use of touring companies in general and not why I personally used one is what has been a bit frustrating for me. All of this evolved out of a simple question that I asked about stamps, which I definitely regret now.

Not that I need to explain (and I’m becoming frustrated with myself for doing it, so that’s on me), but the grief of losing one of my closest friends so suddenly has been really rough. My normal type A organizing brain has been in a deep fog for many months now, a common symptom of grief. I was grateful for the assistance so I could grieve and train for six months and not make mistakes with bookings that might have caused me unnecessary stress.

Also, not that it matters, but to clarify, I’m not using a tour guide or walking in a group. I’m walking solo with my own maps and no technology, except at the albergues. The company just arranged all accommodations for me in advance and my luggage transfers to each of them. I also wanted a private room and bath at each of my stops since I’m still in active grief. They helped make sure that happened and to arrange a daily walking pace that worked for me. They did all of this with a great amount of compassion and for that, I’m deeply grateful.

I’m not looking for approval from anyone here, but I do want to advocate for myself and for anyone else here who might need a different experience. The focus seems off topic and a lot of assumptions are still being made. This includes the assumption that everyone must want or need the same Camino experience. Not everyone does.

I think it’s great if people want to “hard-core” their Camino as a challenge to themselves. Some may want to simply say they walked the distance. That in itself might be transformative for them. Their priority might not be whether they do it solo or without a tour company in a limited or full capacity. Does that make their Camino any less valuable? If so, why? Because it doesn’t meet the arbitrary standards or experiences of other pilgrims who chose a different path and are convinced it is the only way?

The reason for my comments was one user’s comment on “chasing my luggage” which couldn’t be further from the reality of my experience. While he couldn’t have known what a tender journey this has been for me thus far, it’s important to consider that one doesn’t know. In the humility of that admission, perhaps one might refrain from the personal opinions or judgments that really have nothing to do with what someone might be experiencing.

I walked 40 km today. How is that any less bad ass whether I used a company to arrange my accommodation and forward my luggage for me or not? Or any less bad ass for the terrified person doing it for the first time that wants the added support of a group? If it’s the only way they can move past their fear versus not doing it at all, who cares?

I’m proud of my Camino thus far. My spiritual goals for this Camino are mine alone, as they are to each and every pilgrim. I’m here to walk my friend home to God. I won’t have it implied that doing so is somehow diminished because I didn’t call the albergues myself.

Great post, lots of good points. It's easy to judge, and we're all guilty of it.

Go your own way, Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wendy dear, we all walk our own Camino. For some, the burden is lighter. For others, it is just too heavy to bear alone. Be confident in your wisdom to share your burden, and thankful that so many others are willing to share theirs and yours. I bet Jesus, or Santiago, or Buddha/Allah/The Great Spirit would encourage less judgmental behavior and more loving kindness on the part of us all. Buen Camino!

Love,
An avid stamp collector and lifelong chaser of luggage 💕

Thank you, I saw these and I know it’s clear, but the company that set up my solo route kept telling me I only needed one a day and that’s where I was feeling conflicted. I’m gonna play it safe and make sure I get two stamps per day on the last 100 km. Thank you!
They lied to you!

40k in one day? Bravissimo! Well done and I hope your Camino brings you solace.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Well, I’ve noticed that those of us using touring companies that include luggage transfers is a bit frowned upon by some on the forum. I respect different viewpoints on the matter, but for me personally, I don’t see it as chasing my luggage at all.

My close friend died in November and it has just been a devastating time. I know that I don’t need to explain a personal decision, but I just needed some extra assistance with handling logistics this time around. I didn’t have the headspace to handle 31 days of bookings and just wanted to focus on my friend.

I’m taking his ashes to the Santiago de Compostale on behalf of his family and I’m so honored to be able to walk the 600+ kilometers to do so.

I’m also grateful for forums like this where I’ve received clarity on how many stamps I need per day as I embark on my spiritual journey tomorrow morning. I appreciate everyone’s help here on the forum with that.
Wendy, I am sorry for your loss. This will be a meaningful walk for you. I wish you peace and an easy heart. ❤️

I got my 1st composetlla with a mixture of one a day 2 a day and 3. Next time, I made sure to have two a day. However, its not much of a rule. I saw people get a stamp at ist opportunity then taxi to final of day. They had two stamps but hadnt walked a full day. I also met a group who were bussing it and getting stamps werever the bus stopped. In fact, they didnt even get off the bus. a guide got off with all their credentials and stamped each one. I got fed up waiting as did a couple of other pilgrims and we told him to back off and let pilgrims go first. He was not happy but looking around at the angry faces he backed off. Interestingly, I saw the group having dinner in San Martins and the guide arrived with a bunch of compostellas and distributed them. They didnt even queue up to get them themselves. The point is, the rule is so easy to circumvent it isnt worth the having. However, stick to the rule not just to get a compostella but to be able to say you did it the right way. If anyone cheats, all they get is a piece of paper, not a compostella

Wendy, I am sorry for your loss. This will be a meaningful walk for you. I wish you peace and an easy heart. ❤️
Thanks @hikinggirl . And thank you everyone else for the kind words.

I’m taking a lighter walking day tomorrow, but off to bed now. Buen Camino to all! And here is my backpack, in honor of my friend JJ who died. I hope that it’s ok to post this photo here and if not, apologies in advsnce and happy to remove if the moderators request it.

IMG_4719.jpeg
:)

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Thank you, @Elle Bieling . And thank you for your beautiful guidebook for the full Portuguese Camino, which I purchased at @PaulaKH ’s suggestion. :) I used it all day today and will be using it again tomorrow and for the rest of my journey. I love it and I’m grateful that you took such care to put that together for us. 🥰

I hope you didn't think I was being critical or even speaking of your experience because how do I make any assumptions about anyone's personal experience. My comment was not directed at you whatsoever. I was making an observation that I think the camino can gives those who are nervous or doubts (as we all do. I for example still have some anxiety for my next Camino, and it will be my ninth), can gain such valuable confidence and experience in their ability to carry forward in their life and maybe a future camino. The reason I included you in my comment was only because of the mistake of the tour company you chose. Mistakes are made by all of us. It is something I thought about in the past and have even discussed with a few pilgrims who I have met who were using a company. Good luck and I hope your camino gives you what you need.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I didn’t read the ‘chasing luggage’ comment as anything other than a lovely bit of humour. You have taken it very personally, but the poster who wrote it did nothing wrong. And provided me with a wry chuckle in recognition of my own experience. There was no rudeness or insensitivity.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.