Search 69,459 Camino Questions

South of Galicia weather in September

dadaperegrino

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 - Camino Francés
Hi all, I am planning to hike from Ponte de Lima to Santiago, following the Spiritual Variant, in September this year. I am reading the following book Stone & Water: Walking the Spiritual Variant and I'm a bit worried when I read that at the beginning of September he encountered temperatures of 30+ degrees.
I normally prefer to walk in cooler weather, maximum 25 degrees. I didn't expect South of Galicia to be that warm in September. What do you think? Would it be a good moment to go in September? Thank you all in advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Weather in Galicia is very unpredictable. 30+C is certainly a possibility at the beginning of September though it is unlikely to stay at that temperature for a long period. Weatherspark is a useful weather information site which can give you historical averages, highs and lows for places along your route but it can only be a general guide - not a reliable predictor.

Hi! I walked mid September to mid October 2021 from Porto and did the Variant!
In 27 days i had one heavy rain day temps ranged 20 to 27 C after a chilly start (27 C Santiago on October the 12th)
I have said this bit before that others encountered temps as low as 2 C in previous years on the way!
Have a great walk
Buen Camino
Woody

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you both! Based on weatherspark it seems that the most comfortable period for walking is from mid September! I’ll book that then 🙏

Hi all, I am planning to hike from Ponte de Lima to Santiago, following the Spiritual Variant, in September this year. I am reading the following book Stone & Water: Walking the Spiritual Variant and I'm a bit worried when I read that at the beginning of September he encountered temperatures of 30+ degrees.
I normally prefer to walk in cooler weather, maximum 25 degrees. I didn't expect South of Galicia to be that warm in September. What do you think? Would it be a good moment to go in September? Thank you all in advance!
When I last walked in October 2018, temperatures were high (30+) at the beginning, ameliorating as the month went on and I went north. I can certainly imagine the possibilities of hot weather in September.

But last year I walked on the Camino Frances between Sahagun and Leon when temperatures reached well into the 30s and it never was above 24 when I was walking. I just started early and had my walking done by mid-day. The hottest part of the day is, after all, in the later afternoon.

I should also point out that the Spiritual Variant isn't south of Galicia, it is completely within Galicia. And last summer, when there was a huge heat wave across Spain, it didn't reach Galicia. There is no predicting the weather.

I always say that the best time to walk a Camino is when you have the time available. If you have the time in September, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

When I last walked in October 2018, temperatures were high (30+) at the beginning, ameliorating as the month went on and I went north. I can certainly imagine the possibilities of hot weather in September.

But last year I walked on the Camino Frances between Sahagun and Leon when temperatures reached well into the 30s and it never was above 24 when I was walking. I just started early and had my walking done by mid-day. The hottest part of the day is, after all, in the later afternoon.

I should also point out that the Spiritual Variant isn't south of Galicia, it is completely within Galicia. And last summer, when there was a huge heat wave across Spain, it didn't reach Galicia. There is no predicting the weather.

I always say that the best time to walk a Camino is when you have the time available. If you have the time in September, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Thank you David! I have the luck to be flexible with time, but at the same time I feel the inner call to go on Camino as soon as possible! So I think I will not hold back and travel in September!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Have I totally miscalculated my route...I'm.in villa de conde and have arranged to go to barcelos then onto ponte de Lima?
Hello all, I’m about to embark on my first Portuguese Camino! From Lisbon to Santiago de Compostela, 385.25 miles over 29 days of walking, but 31 days total because I’m giving myself an extra day...
I am currently on the Caminho Português Central. I discovered this place on my way to an albergue I had already booked. The owner Saimon is a very friendly guy and eager to host pilgrims at his...
I just finished Camino Portugués Central this summer and stayed in Albergaria Pinheiro's, I guess most of you have stayed this place. Thisi is the process of making this personalized "Sello" by him.
We are currently on the first day of the Portuguese Camino. At the Pilgrim’s office in Lisbon, they indicated that there was a gate now in between Vila Franca de Xira and Azambuja (2nd stage). Has...
I will be in Lisbon for a couple of weeks and will have some free days. I definitely will be walking the new river path from Sacavém, and I may be able to do as many as 6 or 7 day stages...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back