Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Small towns to stay in?

Time of past OR future Camino
August-September 2024
any suggestions for small towns or places with private rooms to stay between Ponferrada and Santiago?
I am finding that Leon and Astorga and Ponferrada are much bigger than I enjoy. Tonight I'm staying in Ponferrada, because I'm sorry and need to stop.

I really enjoyed my stay, due to the amazing albergue with private rooms, in Villar de Órbigo. Also, Ranabal del Camino felt like a peregrino focused place filled with a calm chill vibe and I really enjoyed that as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stayed at Casa Maruja in Castromaior. The Village itself is a hole in the wall but Albergue was nice .. was my last private room until SdC and was a welcome sight as it drizzled all morning long and I was only too happy to get into a shower and warm bed before dinner.
In addition Castro de Castromaior is shortly after leaving so don't miss that unique place
Good luck and Buen Camino

Last edited:
In Villafranca del Bierzo for private comfort and a very good reasonably priced meal with delicious Bierzo wine. I often stayed at the Hostal la Puerta del Perdon; located on the CF opposite the castle this was always a welcome stop. Here is their current web.

When I walked I loved the Xunta albergue in Ferreiros. Open all year it was then a perfect small place with only 20 places amidst a beautiful landscape. Nearby down the hill next to the local church was a very good and friendly restaurant/bar.Meson O Mirallos. They usually open early for pilgrims.

Perhaps you might also find these spots special.
Happy planning !

Last edited:
any suggestions for small towns or places with private rooms to stay between Ponferrada and Santiago?
I am finding that Leon and Astorga and Ponferrada are much bigger than I enjoy. Tonight I'm staying in Ponferrada, because I'm sorry and need to stop.

I really enjoyed my stay, due to the amazing albergue with private rooms, in Villar de Órbigo. Also, Ranabal del Camino felt like a peregrino focused place filled with a calm chill vibe and I really enjoyed that as well.
Casa Rente was wonderful - good company and delicious meals.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
It can get pretty busy and a little commercial in the last 100 k. For myself, it was more relaxed and peaceful if I avoided the stopping point towns called out as stages in the main Camino guides. Get off-stage and enjoy!

Villafranca del Bierzo was one of our favorite towns we stayed in on the camino! You can walk there in a day from Ponferrada and will pass through the most beautiful old vineyards along the way.

In Villafranca, I highly recommend staying at the former monastery San Nicolas El Real. It's a gorgeous and historic building that's been converted into lodging. They have both private rooms and an albergue.
The private room cost us about $60 in April '24. We walked up to San Nicolas and couldn't believe it was where we were staying - it looks like a Parador from the outside. Inside are frescos painted on the walls - it's like walking into a movie set.

I'd recommend staying in the hamlet of La Laguna the next night - it's only a few more kilometers from there to O Cebreiro and breaks up the steep climb. We loved our stay at Albergue La Escuela in La Laguna which has both private rooms and and albergue. It's run by a wonderful family and has the most stunning views.

This is Mom in front of San Nicolas El Real
View attachment IMG_5219.jpg
This is the walk into Villafranco
View attachment IMG_5175.jpg

Villafranca del Bierzo, Triacastela, Samos, Palas de Rei, Ponte Campaña, Arzua.
I would add Melide to your list. The historic part of town is small, but interesting, and small restaurants outside in a very narrow street. And the real reason is the small hotel I stayed in. Keep in mind that I've been an urban planner off and on for 50+ years, have dabbled in real estate sometimes, and love to see small business owners find interesting--and profitable--ways to use what they have. These owners were a woman, her mother and a few daughters and daughters-in-law. They had started with a building on a downtown street that they operated as a bar and then built a skinny tower that zoning would not have permitted anywhere else--4 small private rooms with baths on 5 incredibly clean floors, with an elevator. Everything was literally spotless, and breakfast was good. There were two or three male relatives around; I think they tended to mechanical and other maintenance stuff.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In Villafranca, I highly recommend staying at the former monastery San Nicolas El Real. It's a gorgeous and historic building that's been converted into lodging. They have both private rooms and an albergue.
The private room cost us about $60 in April '24. We walked up to San Nicolas and couldn't believe it was where we were staying - it looks like a Parador from the outside. Inside are frescos painted on the walls - it's like walking into a movie set.
I stayed there in both 2016 and 2017. In 2016 I stayed in a private room (single occupancy) in the hotel section for 25 Euros, today's rate is not bad at 40 Euros. In 2017 I had a triple room in the albergue part (single occupancy again), for 35 Euros, but it wasn't nearly as nice as the room in the hotel section.

The building was very beautiful.

Sarria, Hotel Novoa up the hill from the Cathedral.
Portomarin, Manolo Piso, private apartment.
Lodoso(Aixere), Casa Roan y Casa Grande, old stone inn outside of town, driver/owner picks you up and drops you off.
Palas de Rei, Casa do Avo, private apartment.
Melide, Apartamento Rosaleda,private apartment 1 block off town square.
Vinos (Arzua), farm outside of town, owner picks you up and drops you off.
Salecedo, Albergue Turistico Salcedo, 200 meters off path, look for sign.
SDC, Apartamentos Companas de San Juan, near Cathedral.
All were clean, supplied, some with washing machine or did laundry, all were nice courteous people, some served meals for additional price or were near restaurants.
We caminoed March 2020 and our choices were limited, but none disappointed.
Most did not have AC, but we did not need it.

Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bedbugs can happen even in the most expensive hotels.

You may try the Hotel Alda, I was happy with the Albergue Xacobeo in 2019.
IMHO the Albergue Atrio do have private rooms, too.

Any suggestions of where to stay in Triacastela? I keep seeing warnings of bedbugs this month....
I would give with the Xunta Albergue de Peregrinos a try. These are usually very Spartan with fewer places for bedbugs to hide. Try to get a bed where the mattress/bed is not touching or against the wall. Check your mattress and the one on the top bunk carefully before choosing.

Places with a lot of decoration (wallpaper, pictures, soft furnishings) offer more places to hide and make eradication more difficult.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Hi. I am starting my camino on Monday 16th Sept at St Jean Pied De Port. I have hust pit my final rucksack together for the first timeit comes in at about 8.5Kg, I am 86Kg so this seems kinda...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.