• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sim Cards (again I Know!)

Michaelg1962

Time of past OR future Camino
September 24
hi folks what sim card can i get to have the same number in australia and spain.
My phone is Android unlocked and has 2 sim card capacity.
My home sim is flagged differently but OPTUS based.
Always find it very awkward with bookings flights etc asking what your number will be while you are in Spain.
Help! Please!
Thanks very much. Michael

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You only need one sim card

Any sim can have the same number in Spain as anywhere else in the world. But, it does mean that you will need your existing sim enabled for international calls and then you can use it anywhere.

If you do that, be aware of international charges and dont allow apps to auto update unless over wifi.

Ensure that any maps that you will use are downloaded before you leave your home country

Apologies if I have misread your question

If your phone is dual SIM capable then you could buy a local prepaid SIM for data, calls and SMS messaging and use it alongside your Australian SIM. Disable the data function for the Aussie one though or it could get very expensive. Make both SIMs active for calls and text messaging and you will have two numbers available - your Australian one and a Spanish one. You can choose which one to name but for local bookings and conversations the Spanish one would be best.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
You only need one sim card

Any sim can have the same number in Spain as anywhere else in the world. But, it does mean that you will need your existing sim enabled for international calls and then you can use it anywhere.

If you do that, be aware of international charges and dont allow apps to auto update unless over wifi.

Ensure that any maps that you will use are downloaded before you leave your home country

Apologies if I have misread your question
Thanks for your help I'll check the roaming rate cheers

If your phone is dual SIM capable then you could buy a local prepaid SIM for data, calls and SMS messaging and use it alongside your Australian SIM. Disable the data function for the Aussie one though or it could get very expensive. Make both SIMs active for calls and text messaging and you will have two numbers available - your Australian one and a Spanish one. You can choose which one to name but for local bookings and conversations the Spanish one would be best.
Thanks for that,that looks like the best way to go.cheers

Thanks for your help I'll check the roaming rate cheers

Not entirely sure what you mean by "flagged differently", but if you mean you're with an Optus reseller and it happens to be Amaysim, they have roaming plans that start at $20 for 100 calls and texts and aren't that much more to add a bit of data, valid for a year.

Failing that, just get a local Spanish SIM when you arrive to use for data and local calls.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

For the past six years, I have used a 33 L Osprey backpack, which has been fine, but it is always fully packed. I thoroughly understand that nature abhors a vacuum, so any available space in a bag...
Hi all The time is finally nearly here. On Sept 15th I'll be arriving in SJPDP to start the Camino. At the moment, the only thing I have to sleep in is a liner. Now that's it's getting a bit...
Hey everyone. My wife and I are flying next Saturday and starting the Ingles on Tuesday. We think we've got everything we need. I'm posting this here to see if there are any glaring mistakes in...
Hello, We are planning on doing the Porto coastal route in the next week or two. We are flying from the west coast in the US. I've read many threads on phone service. There was one really great...
Good evening fellow pilgrims. I've been searching for an embroidered patch of a Camino symbol to add to my hat. Just looking for either a simply scallop shell or arrow only without any writing ...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.