• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes on the CF

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago - Sept 2022
Frances - Sept 2024
Hi, I did Sarria to SdC in hiking boots and my knees hurt every day. This June I walked the CP, Central way, on trail runners and thanks to the extreme cushioning hardly felt my knees. I start from SJPdP early September and plan to wear my trail runners again, but as I am reading about rocky terrain in various posts here, I wonder if that's wise. Please advise. Thx!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Many people (my self included) walk all the way in trail runners, so if you feel good walking in trail runners, that's the way to go. Feeling comfortable in your shoes is the main thing - and the trail is not that rocky so you need boots.

Buen Camino!

Hello
It's a bit of a hard question to answer because it's simply a matter of personal preference. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa.
I personally would not DREAM of undertaking any hiking in anything else but my hiking boots!
If you are saying that the trail runners worked for you then I would suggest to go with them.
Good luck and Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many people (my self included) walk all the way in trail runners, so if you feel good walking in trail runners, that's the way to go. Feeling comfortable in your shoes is the main thing - and the trail is not that rocky so you need boots.

Hi, I did Sarria to SdC in hiking boots and my knees hurt every day. This June I walked the CP, Central way, on trail runners and thanks to the extreme cushioning hardly felt my knees. I start from SJPdP early September and plan to wear my trail runners again, but as I am reading about rocky terrain in various posts here, I wonder if that's wise. Please advise. Thx!
Agree with Turga. I started my CF from SJPdP in Merrell boots but only did the first 8kms to Orisson in them before switching to my Merrell trail runners and never looked back. Just hiked Turkiye's Lycian Way in Merrell runners and they aced day after day of steep, rocky, shifting ground. I'm heading to the CF again in '25 with trail runners only. If it's trail runners that work best for you, then back your judgement :)
Buen Camino!

In the summer, I use trail runners. In the winter, I wear a waterproof mid-boot by the same manufacturer as my shoes. Some people (like my husband) find their super cushion trail runners break down before the end of a longer Camino so bear that in mind as you choose a shoe.

Be fine in trail runners imo. I have used them and coped well and have also walked twice in normal runners. Not sure they would do as well in very wet but they always dried well

as long as your footwear is comfortable, you should be ok with any choice

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
1724595944006.png
As you can see people where all sorts off footwear. I'm a fan of trail runners whenever possible and always walk Caminos in them. (I haven't walked in winter.) If this is your choice make sure they have not much wear before you start if you're planning to go all the way to SdC. I take mine for a trial walk at home, enough to ensure there are no manufacturing defects, then keep them and train in a similar older pair. My Altra Lone Peaks easily lasted from SJPP to Finisterre, as did my buddy's Hoka's. Both pairs had wear inside the heel area by the end, but not enough to cause us problems.

I've walked various caminos with new balance walking shoes, which are a bit heavier than trail runners, but have never broken down, even after 1200 km.

In the summer, I use trail runners. In the winter, I wear a waterproof mid-boot by the same manufacturer as my shoes. Some people (like my husband) find their super cushion trail runners break down before the end of a longer Camino so bear that in mind as you choose a shoe.
If you want a good pair of trail runners (of course the following statement is based on only me) you should check out Brooks, Cascadias. I have worn them on all my caminos. Over 8000K and at least that and more in my morning walks. I have had a total of 2 major and 3 minor blisters all on my first 2 caminos. I wear a brand new pair when I start my camino and then wear them when I return for my walks and training. Walked from Le Puy to Santiago one year and when I got home i still wore them although I changed my insole. I love them in rain, snow, sleet, mud and ice. Still wear them and will throw them out at the beginning of October before my next camino. New ones are in the closet. I have worn them in December in snow also. No problem haha

Attachments

• PHOTO-2024-08-25-09-03-14 2.jpg
    PHOTO-2024-08-25-09-03-14 2.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 26
  • PHOTO-2024-08-25-09-03-14.jpg
    PHOTO-2024-08-25-09-03-14.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 27
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I walked the entire CF in one pair of Hoka trail runners. No foot problems at all.

as I am reading about rocky terrain in various posts here,
I can understand your concern, but I cannot recall any particular rocky section of the CF, or any other camino route I have walked, that couldn't be negotiated in shoes or even sandals. While I have always walked in boots, that is a personal choice. If you would prefer to walk in some form of shoe, you should do that.

I have worn hiking sandals on my last 6 Caminos including some with fairly rocky sections. The sandals have a sturdy sole, and my feet have always been more comfortable in them and felt better at the end of the day than when they have been confined in shoes. But what works for me will not work for everyone.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
On my experience I would (and will) do it in trailrunners with high cushioning.
Or very lightweight half boots like the Salomon Ultra 360 or the La Sportiva Blizzard.

Have fun!

I have worn hiking sandals on my last 6 Caminos including some with fairly rocky sections. The sandals have a sturdy sole, and my feet have always been more comfortable in them and felt better at the end of the day than when they have been confined in shoes. But what works for me will not work for everyone.
Would you wear socks with the sandals?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hello
It's a bit of a hard question to answer because it's simply a matter of personal preference. What works for you may not work for me and vice versa.
I personally would not DREAM of undertaking any hiking in anything else but my hiking boots!
If you are saying that the trail runners worked for you then I would suggest to go with them.
Good luck and Buen Camino
I gave up wearing boots years ago. See how many on the PCT wear boots!

We are not on PCT we are on CF 😅
See how many on Mt Everest wear trail runners .
. (and what does it matter "how many". Like I said it is a matter of personal preference )

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We are not on PCT we are on CF 😅
See how many on Mt Everest wear trail runners .
. (and what does it matter "how many". Like I said it is a matter of personal preference )
The U.S. Army has a saying-a pound on your feet is 5 pounds on your back. I do not care what people put on their feet. My friend walked the primitivo in sandals,with no problems. I only suggest people should try different options and see what worked for them. I have climbed many mountains wearing heavy,insulated,stiff climbing boots that I would never use on a trail. Most caminos are walking on trails or farm roads,and do not need special footwear.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth...
I'm plan to complete the Camino Frances in a final 2 week stint from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I'll need to wash clothes half way, which will probably be near Sarria. Does anyone know...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.