• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

September Packing List (CF starting in SJPdP)

surelygoodness

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances planned Sept 2024!
Hi y'all!
Getting ready to start the Camino in one week! I'm so excited :) would love it if you could please review my packing list for September/ first bit of October. I wanted to see if there's anything you would add or take away--due to weight, necessity, weather, etc. Wondering specifically if you would bring: poncho, rain pants, John Brierley book? Thank you so much! (Unfortunately, I'm not super tech savvy and don't know how to post a photo of my list, sorry!)

Camino Pack List
Qty
CLOTHING
2​
Hiking tops (1 for walking, 1 for chilling/extra)
1​
Fleece (Melanzana)
1​
Long sleeve (Sun shade lightweight hoodie)
1​
Rain jacket
2​
Sports Bras
3​
Underwear (2 normal, 1 thinx)
2​
Shorts (Patagonia Baggies)
1​
Light jogger pants
1​
Baseball hat
1​
Compression cube
Questions:
1​
Poncho?
1​
Rain pants?
SHOES
1​
Altras (Trail shoes)
1​
Teva sandals
3​
Merino wool socks
1​
Nail salon shoes
TOILETRIES
1​
Toiletries Bag
1​
Matador soap case
1​
Matador soap
1​
Face Wash
1​
Face moisturizer
1​
Sunblock
1​
Chapstick (aquaphor)
1​
Toothbrush
1​
Toothpaste
1​
Floss
1​
Shampoo
1​
Conditioner
1​
Hair product
1​
Tiny razor (face)
1​
Razor (body)
1​
Nail clippers
1​
Deodorant
1​
Microfiber towel (L)
1​
Laundry soap
1​
Glasses/ Glasses case
Contacts
4​
Hair ties
Feminine products
Ear plugs
MEDICAL/FIRST AID
Medical bag
Inhaler
Medication (advil, benadryl)
Tiger balm (tiny)
Epi-pen
Blister care
GEAR
Pack (REI Trail 25L) and Pack cover
Sunglasses
Sunglasses case
Trekking poles
Camelback for H20
Sleeping bag liner
MISC
Pilgrim Passport (don’t have yet!)
Passport + Global Entry
Tiny wallet (CC and euros)
Notebook
Pen
Trashbag/sandwich bag
Carabiner
Therapy ball for feet
Questions:
John Briley book?
TECH
Phone
Watch
Power bank
Travel Adapter
Outlet plug with USB-C and cords
Headphones
Questions:
Rain pants, poncho, John Briley book?
Anything you would not bring/ would bring for September?

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Seems like a lot to fit in a 25 l pack. I walk with a 38 l Osprey. Have you test-packed? You will be walking west with the sun at your back - I recommend a hat with an all-round brim, or at least a hiking cap with a back-flap. Pharmacies are plentiful along the CF, perhaps bring minimal supplies and buy as you go, or as needed. I personally do not recommend ear buds etc. Be present in your Camino. 4 pairs of socks would be better so you can wear 2 at a time if blister management rears it's head. Pack lots of your stuff in ziplock bags for waterproofing and pack a couple of spares. Wear a waist pack for common everyday items and to reduce the number of times you have to remove your pack. Credential and passport etc in ziplocks, credit cards in RFID pouches, activate your phone for Google Pay or Apple Pay - either are more secure than a credit card. Consider long hiking pants that can convert to shorts. I will stop here. I am sure you will get several more recommendations.

Seems like a lot to fit in a 25 l pack. I walk with a 38 l Osprey. Have you test-packed? You will be walking west with the sun at your back - I recommend a hat with an all-round brim, or at least a hiking cap with a back-flap. Pharmacies are plentiful along the CF, perhaps bring minimal supplies and buy as you go, or as needed. I personally do not recommend ear buds etc. Be present in your Camino. 4 pairs of socks would be better so you can wear 2 at a time if blister management rears it's head. Pack lots of your stuff in ziplock bags for waterproofing and pack a couple of spares. Wear a waist pack for common everyday items and to reduce the number of times you have to remove your pack. Credential and passport etc in ziplocks, credit cards in RFID pouches, activate your phone for Google Pay or Apple Pay - either are more secure than a credit card. Consider long hiking pants that can convert to shorts. I will stop here. I am sure you will get several more recommendations.
Hi Bill905!
Yes, everything fits and I have room to spare! These suggestions are so so helpful. What do you think about bringing rain gear and the John Brierly book?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Bill905!
Yes, everything fits and I have room to spare! These suggestions are so so helpful. What do you think about bringing rain gear and the John Brierly book?
A book is fine, just don't get hooked on recommended stages and walk at your own pace. I use a different book and enjoy some of the color-commentary, suggestions, and historical references. Rain gear is a must - weather changes quickly in the mountains. I have walked with both a poncho and rain jacket, and preferred the rain jacket. Use whatever et works for you. Try using the search feature for this site with key words about "fall Camino packing" or something similar. Sometimes pilgrims who are walking will leave (donate) some of their gear at an albergue, some will send it home, some may add to their gear from a donation table. Besides bringing blister management items, watch some YouTube videos also. When you get home, perform a post-Camino evaluation of your pack. And definitely keep a blog or diary of some sort for your future self to read and re-read. Buen Camino.

What do you think about bringing rain gear and the John Brierly book?
There is a very good chance that you will need rain gear - there's a reason why Galicia is so green!
I like the Altus poncho/raincoat which you can buy at the pilgrim store in SJPDP. Reserve one in advance for a discount.

I have never used a guide book on the Camino. Instead I rely on the Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps, and the Gronze website.

@surelygoodness, welcome to the forum.
Book: no, just take photos with your pH of any pages you feel might be of relevance.

Nowadays I prefer a poncho over a raincoat but that's a very individual thing. Both work, but you don't need both!

Rain pants: 50/50. If they are lightweight they are worth taking as they are great wind protection on the off chance you get a cold snap ( it happens). You can also wear them when everything else is in the wash.

Not sure why you have the nail salon slippers. Nor two pairs of shorts. One pair of shorts, one long pants normally suffices. Unless one is part of your sleeping outfit? (Some people sleep in their next days walking clothes, some prefer a separate outfit. It's easier for guys, my sleep outfit is a pair of boxer shorts which double up as a spare pair of underwear).
I personally work on the wear one, carry one principal with everything except socks and underpants, I wear one, carry two.

I don't see a sleeping mask (seriously useful in Albergues).

I agree with @Bill905 that a waistbag can be extremely useful. Remember you have to keep your valuables with you at all times . Passport, credential in a ziplock bag.

If the trash bag is to line your pack to help keep everything dry in the event of serious rain, all good. If not consider taking one. Rain covers do seep over time especially in Galacian rain. Plus if you're using a raincoat rather than a poncho water can get in between your rain jacket and the Pack. I prefer a dry bag rather than a packing cube, but a half decent trash bag works fine.

Add half a dozen safety pins, if your socks or underwear haven't dried overnight you can always pin them either to the outside of your pack or onto your front underneath your Rain kit if it's still raining. Your body heat will dry them.

You say credit card, I trust you have two cards with you - preferably from different Banks. Obviously your backup card is kept separate to your main card. It can of course be a debit card if you have one that will work overseas. Or simply loaded as either Google or Apple pay.

As you are American remember to advise your bank that you're heading overseas, otherwise they may freeze your cards because they will believe your Spanish transactions to be suspicious activity. It happens to someone every year!

You also need to carry some toilet paper, (bar's run out, or you might need to go on the trail) Plus a couple of Ziploc bags or similar to carry your used paper with you please.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Incidentally, presumably you intend to carry your pack as carry on luggage - but do consider that you may have to check in your Trekking poles. This comes up every time they get mentioned - sometimes you get through security with them, sometimes you don't. It's a gamble - your call.

Alternatively leave them at home and buy a pair upon arrival.

@surelygoodness, welcome to the forum.
Book: no, just take photos with your pH of any pages you feel might be of relevance.

Nowadays I prefer a poncho over a raincoat but that's a very individual thing. Both work, but you don't need both!

Rain pants: 50/50. If they are lightweight they are worth taking as they are great wind protection on the off chance you get a cold snap ( it happens). You can also wear them when everything else is in the wash.

Not sure why you have the nail salon slippers. Nor two pairs of shorts. One pair of shorts, one long pants normally suffices. Unless one is part of your sleeping outfit? (Some people sleep in their next days walking clothes, some prefer a separate outfit. It's easier for guys, my sleep outfit is a pair of boxer shorts which double up as a spare pair of underwear).
I personally work on the wear one, carry one principal with everything except socks and underpants, I wear one, carry two.

I don't see a sleeping mask (seriously useful in Albergues).

I agree with @Bill905 that a waistbag can be extremely useful. Remember you have to keep your valuables with you at all times . Passport, credential in a ziplock bag.

If the trash bag is to line your pack to help keep everything dry in the event of serious rain, all good. If not consider taking one. Rain covers do seep over time especially in Galacian rain. Plus if you're using a raincoat rather than a poncho water can get in between your rain jacket and the Pack. I prefer a dry bag rather than a packing cube, but a half decent trash bag works fine.

Add half a dozen safety pins, if your socks or underwear haven't dried overnight you can always pin them either to the outside of your pack or onto your front underneath your Rain kit if it's still raining. Your body heat will dry them.

You say credit card, I trust you have two cards with you - preferably from different Banks. Obviously your backup card is kept separate to your main card. It can of course be a debit card if you have one that will work overseas. Or simply loaded as either Google or Apple pay.

As you are American remember to advise your bank that you're heading overseas, otherwise they may freeze your cards because they will believe your Spanish transactions to be suspicious activity. It happens to someone every year!

You also need to carry some toilet paper, (bar's run out, or you might need to go on the trail) Plus a couple of Ziploc bags or similar to carry your used paper with you please.
Thank you so much for the welcome and for your suggestions!
- I didn't think of a sleeping mask... so helpful.
- Yes, shorts are my extra non-hiking/sleeping outfit.
- Safety pins are a great suggestion.

Haha, whoops. I forgot to take those off the list--they are these super lightweight shower shoes that fold up (they're amazing for the nail salon and beach lol)

Personally i'm team Rainjacket+Kilt, but my backpack is waterproof by itself, so getting water in between the cover and the jacket is not an issue for me. For regular packs, i see the merit of having it under a poncho.

Secondly, i never felt the need for a powerbank. Plenty of outlets available on the frances, just make sure your charger is a good one so it doesnt take forever.
As to book or no, again, i can see why its nice to take it, for me it is not worth the extra weight.
Shampoo, Conditioner, Face wash and Soap AND Laundry Soap... well... thats a lot. I carry a Dr.Bronners soap that does all that.
Last but not least, i carried a lightweight carabiner on all my caminos and never used it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would highly recommend travelling with a water-filter bottle. (There are several recommendable brands on the market but I've always used LifeStraw). You're walking the CF so are likely to be well-supplied with water along the way but carrying a filter give you the option of refilling even from streams or fountains that you might not otherwise trust. They are not cheap but I've used my filter bottle on every trip for the last few years (not only Spain) and appreciate the fact that I've not had to leave a single plastic water-bottle in my wake since I bought it. Oh, and I'm also happy to make extra space in my pack for a hammock. Most people here would probably argue differently by the comfortable siesta during the midday hot hours is worth the sacrifice many times over as far as I'm concerned! Buen Camino!

Thank you so much for the welcome and for your suggestions!
- I didn't think of a sleeping mask... so helpful.
- Yes, shorts are my extra non-hiking/sleeping outfit.
- Safety pins are a great suggestion.

Haha, whoops. I forgot to take those off the list--they are these super lightweight shower shoes that fold up (they're amazing for the nail salon and beach lol)
I've found a Buff to serve wonderfully for a sleep mask. Also handy on dusty trails and as sun protection not the back of my neck. (Day after day with the sun rising at your back you will appreciate it!)

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Dear fellow pilgrim,

IMHO I would get rid of the Shorts, take convertible trousers instead. No Poncho, no Raintrouser. If it rains in torrents, you will get wet no matter what you are wearing.
Get rid of all face / hairproducts, take Aleppo-Soap instead, for washing your cloths, too.
Bring medication only if essentially needed (Epipen, Inhaler?)

You may bring a meshbag for washing your cloths in machine and a small drybag for your tech-stuff.

If ever, I would try to get the Brierley digital on your phone.

Have fun!

You must remember to keep your backpack light: I would NOT bring a book when you obtain the same information on your mobile phone.
I wrap everything in plastic bags: they can be useful for a number of things.

I would take a Poncho, leave out the rain trousers, the hair and face products but do bring sun cream.

I would highly recommend travelling with a water-filter bottle.

Really, on the Frances? It's hardly Wilderness.
I always carry a few Puri Tabs in case I need to use non potable water.
But I have never needed them..........

But hey. We all have different approaches to these things. ;)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi y'all!
Getting ready to start the Camino in one week! I'm so excited :) would love it if you could please review my packing list for September/ first bit of October. I wanted to see if there's anything you would add or take away--due to weight, necessity, weather, etc. Wondering specifically if you would bring: poncho, rain pants, John Brierley book? Thank you so much! (Unfortunately, I'm not super tech savvy and don't know how to post a photo of my list, sorry!)

Camino Pack List
Qty
CLOTHING
2​
1​
Fleece (Melanzana)
1​
1​
Rain jacket
2​
Sports Bras
3​
2​
1​
Light jogger pants
1​
Baseball hat
1​
Compression cube
Questions:
1​
Poncho?
1​
Rain pants?
SHOES
1​
Altras (Trail shoes)
1​
Teva sandals
3​
Merino wool socks
1​
Nail salon shoes
TOILETRIES
1​
Toiletries Bag
1​
Matador soap case
1​
Matador soap
1​
Face Wash
1​
Face moisturizer
1​
Sunblock
1​
Chapstick (aquaphor)
1​
Toothbrush
1​
Toothpaste
1​
Floss
1​
Shampoo
1​
Conditioner
1​
Hair product
1​
Tiny razor (face)
1​
Razor (body)
1​
Nail clippers
1​
Deodorant
1​
Microfiber towel (L)
1​
Laundry soap
1​
Glasses/ Glasses case
Contacts
4​
Hair ties
Feminine products
Ear plugs
MEDICAL/FIRST AID
Medical bag
Inhaler
Tiger balm (tiny)
Epi-pen
Blister care
GEAR
Sunglasses
Sunglasses case
Trekking poles
Camelback for H20
Sleeping bag liner
MISC
Passport + Global Entry
Notebook
Pen
Trashbag/sandwich bag
Carabiner
Therapy ball for feet
Questions:
John Briley book?
TECH
Phone
Watch
Power bank
Travel Adapter
Headphones
Questions:
I suggest a dozen clothes pins....

Hi y'all!

Camino Pack List
Qty
CLOTHING
2​
1​
Fleece (Melanzana)
1​
1​
Rain jacket
2​
Sports Bras
3​
2​
1​
Light jogger pants
1​
Baseball hat
1​
Compression cube
Questions:
1​
Poncho?
1​
Rain pants?
SHOES
1​
Altras (Trail shoes)
1​
Teva sandals
3​
Merino wool socks
1​
Nail salon shoes
TOILETRIES
1​
Toiletries Bag
1​
Matador soap case
1​
Matador soap
1​
Face Wash
1​
Face moisturizer
1​
Sunblock
1​
Chapstick (aquaphor)
1​
Toothbrush
1​
Toothpaste
1​
Floss
1​
Shampoo
1​
Conditioner
1​
Hair product
1​
Tiny razor (face)
1​
Razor (body)
1​
Nail clippers
1​
Deodorant
1​
Microfiber towel (L)
1​
Laundry soap
1​
Glasses/ Glasses case
Contacts
4​
Hair ties
Feminine products
Ear plugs
MEDICAL/FIRST AID
Medical bag
Inhaler
Tiger balm (tiny)
Epi-pen
Blister care
GEAR
Sunglasses
Sunglasses case
Trekking poles
Camelback for H20
Sleeping bag liner
MISC
Passport + Global Entry
Notebook
Pen
Trashbag/sandwich bag
Carabiner
Therapy ball for feet
Questions:
John Briley book?
TECH
Phone
Watch
Power bank
Travel Adapter
Headphones
Questions:
No to the phone bank and notebook. Appears lots of toiletries but to each his own it’s about you being comfortable. Last September when I did the Camino I wore leggings rather than shorts. Fare amount of rain but could also be hot. I had more tops 2 long sleeve to protect from sun and also for warmth when it was cold.

I'm an advocate for carrying a light UV umbrella for both rain and sun. Brierley's book is nice but in comparison to others quite large and heavy. Get several guides as apps and/or on your phone Kindle. Michelin and Village to Village press offer very light paper map guides. Wise Pilgrim and Rother are also smaller and lighter than Brierley. Wish I could get away with a 25L pack. When I cram too much into my 38L it doesn't fit well. (bulges out) You will be a little ahead of us this fall (in several ways) Buen Camino

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi y'all!

Camino Pack List
Qty
CLOTHING
2​
1​
Fleece (Melanzana)
1​
1​
Rain jacket
2​
Sports Bras
3​
2​
1​
Light jogger pants
1​
Baseball hat
1​
Compression cube
Questions:
1​
Poncho?
1​
Rain pants?
SHOES
1​
Altras (Trail shoes)
1​
Teva sandals
3​
Merino wool socks
1​
Nail salon shoes
TOILETRIES
1​
Toiletries Bag
1​
Matador soap case
1​
Matador soap
1​
Face Wash
1​
Face moisturizer
1​
Sunblock
1​
Chapstick (aquaphor)
1​
Toothbrush
1​
Toothpaste
1​
Floss
1​
Shampoo
1​
Conditioner
1​
Hair product
1​
Tiny razor (face)
1​
Razor (body)
1​
Nail clippers
1​
Deodorant
1​
Microfiber towel (L)
1​
Laundry soap
1​
Glasses/ Glasses case
Contacts
4​
Hair ties
Feminine products
Ear plugs
MEDICAL/FIRST AID
Medical bag
Inhaler
Tiger balm (tiny)
Epi-pen
Blister care
GEAR
Sunglasses
Sunglasses case
Trekking poles
Camelback for H20
Sleeping bag liner
MISC
Passport + Global Entry
Notebook
Pen
Trashbag/sandwich bag
Carabiner
Therapy ball for feet
Questions:
John Briley book?
TECH
Phone
Watch
Power bank
Travel Adapter
Headphones
Questions:
1. It’s getting colder at night in September, so consider an ultralight down blanket such as this one: https://alpineridgeoutfitters.com/products/ultralight-down-quilt-by-alpine-ridge™
2. You can always buy a poncho in SJPdP along with poles.
3. Consider waxing before you depart instead of carrying razors. You can then go again in Santiago.
3. Use apps on your phone over a physical guidebook
4. Hip pack for essentials - Never put it down. Even take it into shower cubicle with you.
4. 2 epipens and inhalers - one in main pack, one in hip pack. Also a script for a repeat, and letter from GP that these are necessary medical items in case both get lost, and customs ask you.
5. Forget the power bank. Check your phone battery storage. If it’s under 80% get it replaced before you depart. And bring a long phone cord.
6. Your pack seems small, and it is a model that doesn’t have back support (which keeps the weight and heat away from your body) so make sure you do test 3-4hr hikes wearing yours to be confident it’s comfortable.
7. Gaiters. The trailer is getting muddy and messy in September, so these save you a lot of scraping mud out of your laces and stop stones getting into your shoes. You just wash, dry and wear. Altras have pairs designed to fit your shoes.
8. Extra thin toe sock liners.
9. Consider an ultralight umbrella: https://zpacks.com/products/lotus-u...LkMISlIHg8snOhVdyGXoXIVa3K-_U017leue5auHJTtma
9. I’d pare back the toiletries and find dual usage replacements: I.e. half a bar of Dr Bronners could replace soap & shampoo. A small bottle of Palmers Skin Therapy Oil replaces hair product and moisturizer.
10. I carry an ultralight sarong too to wear when I wash everything and to hang along the bunk for privacy and added darkness.
11. Eyecover is a best friend to earplugs. A Buff can double as this.
11. Head torch? Sunrises are getting later in September, so this may be useful for early starts.
Otherwise, after the first 4-5 days, (and by the time you hit Pamplona), you’ll know what to ditch (or post forward to Santiago), and what you need to add, and there’s plenty of shops there.
Ultreia!

Just curious about the weight of this since it looks a lot like what I would bring!
Gracias! Buen Camino!
Hi there! My pack (REI Trail 25L) completely packed is 11.2 lbs! (Doesn't have water in it yet but that is definitely something to consider).

1. It’s getting colder at night in September, so consider an ultralight down blanket such as this one: https://alpineridgeoutfitters.com/products/ultralight-down-quilt-by-alpine-ridge™
2. You can always buy a poncho in SJPdP along with poles.
3. Consider waxing before you depart instead of carrying razors. You can then go again in Santiago.
3. Use apps on your phone over a physical guidebook
4. Hip pack for essentials - Never put it down. Even take it into shower cubicle with you.
4. 2 epipens and inhalers - one in main pack, one in hip pack. Also a script for a repeat, and letter from GP that these are necessary medical items in case both get lost, and customs ask you.
5. Forget the power bank. Check your phone battery storage. If it’s under 80% get it replaced before you depart. And bring a long phone cord.
6. Your pack seems small, and it is a model that doesn’t have back support (which keeps the weight and heat away from your body) so make sure you do test 3-4hr hikes wearing yours to be confident it’s comfortable.
7. Gaiters. The trailer is getting muddy and messy in September, so these save you a lot of scraping mud out of your laces and stop stones getting into your shoes. You just wash, dry and wear. Altras have pairs designed to fit your shoes.
8. Extra thin toe sock liners.
9. Consider an ultralight umbrella: https://zpacks.com/products/lotus-u...LkMISlIHg8snOhVdyGXoXIVa3K-_U017leue5auHJTtma
9. I’d pare back the toiletries and find dual usage replacements: I.e. half a bar of Dr Bronners could replace soap & shampoo. A small bottle of Palmers Skin Therapy Oil replaces hair product and moisturizer.
10. I carry an ultralight sarong too to wear when I wash everything and to hang along the bunk for privacy and added darkness.
11. Eyecover is a best friend to earplugs. A Buff can double as this.
11. Head torch? Sunrises are getting later in September, so this may be useful for early starts.
Otherwise, after the first 4-5 days, (and by the time you hit Pamplona), you’ll know what to ditch (or post forward to Santiago), and what you need to add, and there’s plenty of shops there.
Ultreia!
Wowwww... you get me 😊! These suggestions are so helpful, thank you!
- Love the girly suggestions--will see if I can make some appts.
- Definitely going to figure out a way to find some dual usage for soap but my hair is a bit high maintenance so... it is what is it is, I suppose.
- Only bringing the epi-pen for my mom's sanity lol! (I hope to ditch the inhaler once I get over this lingering bronchitis).
- My pack is small and doesn't have hip supports, but in total it's about 11.5 lbs without water. I tried a a 32L and it hit me a bit too large, I did like the back support though.
- I have an old pair of OR knee-high gaiters from my backpacking trips but wondering if just the little shoe-size is better?
I would highly recommend travelling with a water-filter bottle. (There are several recommendable brands on the market but I've always used LifeStraw). You're walking the CF so are likely to be well-supplied with water along the way but carrying a filter give you the option of refilling even from streams or fountains that you might not otherwise trust. They are not cheap but I've used my filter bottle on every trip for the last few years (not only Spain) and appreciate the fact that I've not had to leave a single plastic water-bottle in my wake since I bought it. Oh, and I'm also happy to make extra space in my pack for a hammock. Most people here would probably argue differently by the comfortable siesta during the midday hot hours is worth the sacrifice many times over as far as I'm concerned! Buen Camino!
The Buff is a great suggestion--wasn't sure if I should bring it, but you've convinced me! I also love that you bring a hammock--even if it's a bit extra weight, the joy it brings is worth it for sure!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Definitely going to figure out a way to find some dual usage for soap but my hair is a bit high maintenance so... it is what is it is, I suppose.
I use a shampoo bar for hair and body.
Since I started walking Caminos I switched to only using bar shampoo. There are tons of good ones out there now for every type of hair.
My pack is small and doesn't have hip supports, but in total it's about 11.5 lbs without water.
It looks like it does have a hip belt, which is important for transferring the load from your shoulders to your hips.

Hi there! My pack (REI Trail 25L) completely packed is 11.2 lbs! (Doesn't have water in it yet but that is definitely something to consider).

Wowwww... you get me 😊! These suggestions are so helpful, thank you!
- Love the girly suggestions--will see if I can make some appts.
- Definitely going to figure out a way to find some dual usage for soap but my hair is a bit high maintenance so... it is what is it is, I suppose.
- Only bringing the epi-pen for my mom's sanity lol! (I hope to ditch the inhaler once I get over this lingering bronchitis).
- My pack is small and doesn't have hip supports, but in total it's about 11.5 lbs without water. I tried a a 32L and it hit me a bit too large, I did like the back support though.
- I have an old pair of OR knee-high gaiters from my backpacking trips but wondering if just the little shoe-size is better?

The Buff is a great suggestion--wasn't sure if I should bring it, but you've convinced me! I also love that you bring a hammock--even if it's a bit extra weight, the joy it brings is worth it for sure!
The Buff is so incredibly useful - it's also a warm extra layer under a cap/hot on a cold morning and a wonderful cooling mechanism (dipped a cold stream) on a hot afternoon. I've never once regretted carrying my hammock...except maybe on Extremaduran plains where there wasn't a tree in sight! Haha.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My pack is small and doesn't have hip supports, but in total it's about 11.5 lbs without water. I tried a a 32L and it hit me a bit too large, I did like the back support though.
That's quite a bit more than I had anticipated. I have a similar pack that I use for multi-day Hikes in summer, a similar packing list to yours ways 3.4 kgs. (I have less toiletries for example). 3.4kg for me is Borderline because by the time I add water and snacks it's roughly 5 kgs. Anything over 4 kgs I much prefer to have a proper load bearing waist belt not just the straps. The reason for this is that it can create shoulder issues and/or lower back problems.
There are plenty of decent 23/25 liter packs with proper waist belts, you don't have to go up to a 30 plus.

The acid test will be doing three consecutive 15 plus kilometer days.
looks like it does have a hip belt, which is important for transferring the load from your shoulders to your hips.
Unfortunately those straps are almost useless for load bearing in my experience. They appear to be designed to stop the Pack moving around on your back, they seem to do little if anything to transfer the load onto your hips.

Hi y'all!

Camino Pack List
Qty
CLOTHING
2​
1​
Fleece (Melanzana)
1​
1​
Rain jacket
2​
Sports Bras
3​
2​
1​
Light jogger pants
1​
Baseball hat
1​
Compression cube
Questions:
1​
Poncho?
1​
Rain pants?
SHOES
1​
Altras (Trail shoes)
1​
Teva sandals
3​
Merino wool socks
1​
Nail salon shoes
TOILETRIES
1​
Toiletries Bag
1​
Matador soap case
1​
Matador soap
1​
Face Wash
1​
Face moisturizer
1​
Sunblock
1​
Chapstick (aquaphor)
1​
Toothbrush
1​
Toothpaste
1​
Floss
1​
Shampoo
1​
Conditioner
1​
Hair product
1​
Tiny razor (face)
1​
Razor (body)
1​
Nail clippers
1​
Deodorant
1​
Microfiber towel (L)
1​
Laundry soap
1​
Glasses/ Glasses case
Contacts
4​
Hair ties
Feminine products
Ear plugs
MEDICAL/FIRST AID
Medical bag
Inhaler
Tiger balm (tiny)
Epi-pen
Blister care
GEAR
Sunglasses
Sunglasses case
Trekking poles
Camelback for H20
Sleeping bag liner
MISC
Passport + Global Entry
Notebook
Pen
Trashbag/sandwich bag
Carabiner
Therapy ball for feet
Questions:
John Briley book?
TECH
Phone
Watch
Power bank
Travel Adapter
Headphones
Questions:
TP and a few wet wipes in a double ziplock. One bag for the wet wipes and the other for disposal.

Hi y'all!

Camino Pack List
Qty
CLOTHING
2​
1​
Fleece (Melanzana)
1​
1​
Rain jacket
2​
Sports Bras
3​
2​
1​
Light jogger pants
1​
Baseball hat
1​
Compression cube
Questions:
1​
Poncho?
1​
Rain pants?
SHOES
1​
Altras (Trail shoes)
1​
Teva sandals
3​
Merino wool socks
1​
Nail salon shoes
TOILETRIES
1​
Toiletries Bag
1​
Matador soap case
1​
Matador soap
1​
Face Wash
1​
Face moisturizer
1​
Sunblock
1​
Chapstick (aquaphor)
1​
Toothbrush
1​
Toothpaste
1​
Floss
1​
Shampoo
1​
Conditioner
1​
Hair product
1​
Tiny razor (face)
1​
Razor (body)
1​
Nail clippers
1​
Deodorant
1​
Microfiber towel (L)
1​
Laundry soap
1​
Glasses/ Glasses case
Contacts
4​
Hair ties
Feminine products
Ear plugs
MEDICAL/FIRST AID
Medical bag
Inhaler
Tiger balm (tiny)
Epi-pen
Blister care
GEAR
Sunglasses
Sunglasses case
Trekking poles
Camelback for H20
Sleeping bag liner
MISC
Passport + Global Entry
Notebook
Pen
Trashbag/sandwich bag
Carabiner
Therapy ball for feet
Questions:
John Briley book?
TECH
Phone
Watch
Power bank
Travel Adapter
Headphones
Questions:
I never bring rain pants unless I walk during much colder months. For example, I used rain pants (mostly for warmth) over leggings when walking in November/December or February/March.
Definitely bring rain jacket. Ponchos flap around in the wind, I don’t like them.
I find pack covers don’t really keep things dry so I use pack liners (from Garage Grown Gear or Gossamer Gear), one for my sleeping bag and sleep clothes and a 2nd for everything else.
Re: toiletries— you probably already know to bring minimum quantities because you can buy more while there. Prescriptions drugs need to be brought from home, but OTC meds are readily available at farmacias.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi y'all!

Camino Pack List
Qty
CLOTHING
2​
1​
Fleece (Melanzana)
1​
1​
Rain jacket
2​
Sports Bras
3​
2​
1​
Light jogger pants
1​
Baseball hat
1​
Compression cube
Questions:
1​
Poncho?
1​
Rain pants?
SHOES
1​
Altras (Trail shoes)
1​
Teva sandals
3​
Merino wool socks
1​
Nail salon shoes
TOILETRIES
1​
Toiletries Bag
1​
Matador soap case
1​
Matador soap
1​
Face Wash
1​
Face moisturizer
1​
Sunblock
1​
Chapstick (aquaphor)
1​
Toothbrush
1​
Toothpaste
1​
Floss
1​
Shampoo
1​
Conditioner
1​
Hair product
1​
Tiny razor (face)
1​
Razor (body)
1​
Nail clippers
1​
Deodorant
1​
Microfiber towel (L)
1​
Laundry soap
1​
Glasses/ Glasses case
Contacts
4​
Hair ties
Feminine products
Ear plugs
MEDICAL/FIRST AID
Medical bag
Inhaler
Tiger balm (tiny)
Epi-pen
Blister care
GEAR
Sunglasses
Sunglasses case
Trekking poles
Camelback for H20
Sleeping bag liner
MISC
Passport + Global Entry
Notebook
Pen
Trashbag/sandwich bag
Carabiner
Therapy ball for feet
Questions:
John Briley book?
TECH
Phone
Watch
Power bank
Travel Adapter
Headphones
Questions:
Headphones? 1 pair of hiking short would be enough. Skip Brierly, too much information. His books make great door stops. There are lighter, smaller guide books out there. Poncho OR rain pants and a rain jacket. I'm arriving around the same time. I don't have rain pants just a jacket. All the different soap, shampoo etc and (what is matador soap anyway?) is unnecessary. You can save weight and space with a shampoo bar from Lush and use it for everything. Why complicate things? Do u have a hx of anaphylaxis from a bee sting? Just wondering about the epi-pen. Skip the razors. I still (at 62 YO) work as a backpacking guide. Here is my philosophy about packing: Less=more and remember everything is only a few ounces separately. BUT ounces make pounds, pounds make pain. You do you!

Dear fellow pilgrim,

IMHO I would get rid of the Shorts, take convertible trousers instead. No Poncho, no Raintrouser. If it rains in torrents, you will get wet no matter what you are wearing.
Get rid of all face / hairproducts, take Aleppo-Soap instead, for washing your cloths, too.
Bring medication only if essentially needed (Epipen, Inhaler?)

You may bring a meshbag for washing your cloths in machine and a small drybag for your tech-stuff.

If ever, I would try to get the Brierley digital on your phone.

Have fun!
I found that the Brierly is quite unreadable on a phone, because of the different e-pub format - it looks like a pdf.

Your packing seems okay, once on the way you can always subtract or add to it as necessary.

I like the idea of a 3rd outfit,

1) Controversial opinion. Its nice to have a variety of outfits, i do like the idea of having a capsule travel wardrobe, all lightweight and walking friendly ideally. For me, a skirt/short/long pant combo covers most situations. You might have different preferences.

2) it's nice to have the option of having a day off from laundry sometimes. It might be raining all afternoon and there may be some difficulty in drying clothes, or you had a long day on the path arriving at accommodation late like 7pm and cant guarantee clothes will dry by morning , or you spent 24+ hours flying/in transit from other side of the world and not in the mood to do laundry immediately when arriving at destination. Valid reasons like that.

But it's your camino, is the extra weight worth it to you?

I will say this though, one could arrive for a camino with the bare minimum, with just a bag, just the one set of clothes, ID, money and other essentials, because there are shops in Europe.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
it's nice to have the option of having a day off from laundry sometimes. It might be raining all afternoon and there may be some difficulty in drying clothes, or you had a long day on the path arriving at accommodation late like 7pm and cant guarantee clothes will dry by morning , or you spent 24+ hours flying/in transit from other side of the world and not in the mood to do laundry immediately when arriving at destination. Valid reasons like that.
Excellent point. Slightly harder when you have just a 25 litre backpack; whilst at the moment @surelygoodness reports room to spare, add in food and perhaps additional water on some stages it can be tricky. Although as I posted above I definitely believe in three pairs of socks and underpants for exactly the reasons you've described. (I wear Merino t-shirts so they can definitely go two days without washing, and I certainly do not wash my pants daily).

With regards to traveling clothing, I travel in old socks and underpants, if I'm lucky an old t-shirt too. These get thrown away in my first night's Hotel, and I start off with fresh clothing in the morning. The room my hiking outfit took up for traveling becomes room for food.

Excellent point. Slightly harder when you have just a 25 litre backpack; whilst at the moment @surelygoodness reports room to spare, add in food and perhaps additional water on some stages it can be tricky. Although as I posted above I definitely believe in three pairs of socks and underpants for exactly the reasons you've described. (I wear Merino t-shirts so they can definitely go two days without washing, and I certainly do not wash my pants daily).

With regards to traveling clothing, I travel in old socks and underpants, if I'm lucky an old t-shirt too. These get thrown away in my first night's Hotel, and I start off with fresh clothing in the morning. The room my hiking outfit took up for traveling becomes room for food.
Fair enough.

My bag is 35L, so I have the spare space, for a few luxuries And if that includes a skirt and a different coloured tee, which makes me look a bit nicer for the cities, sweet as. The camino is not a wilderness trek!
Do keep in mind, I do opt for sleeping in my day clothes to minimize weight.
And for late spring or late summer, a thin sleeping liner has been sufficient, my bag had room to spare.

Camino #2 foolishly only had the 2 merino socks with me. Luckily I kept the bright orange emirates plane socks and i wore them with my sandals a couple of times.
Ah, I miss the camino life....

OP try not to overthink it too much. Keep it simple, choose what suits your needs and theres always shops in europe.
You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Personally i'm team Rainjacket+Kilt, but my backpack is waterproof by itself, so getting water in between the cover and the jacket is not an issue for me. For regular packs, i see the merit of having it under a poncho.

Secondly, i never felt the need for a powerbank. Plenty of outlets available on the frances, just make sure your charger is a good one so it doesnt take forever.
As to book or no, again, i can see why its nice to take it, for me it is not worth the extra weight.
Shampoo, Conditioner, Face wash and Soap AND Laundry Soap... well... thats a lot. I carry a Dr.Bronners soap that does all that.
Last but not least, i carried a lightweight carabiner on all my caminos and never used it.
I second the “one soap fits all” approach. I’m taking Campsuds that I also use to wash my clothes as well as face body and hair.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth...
I'm plan to complete the Camino Frances in a final 2 week stint from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I'll need to wash clothes half way, which will probably be near Sarria. Does anyone know...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.