• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago to Porto

Kaleah

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Ola, for the life of me I cannot access information regarding transportation between Santiago an Porto. I have seen it previously but am missing it so please bear with me I know there's the bus straight through and a train that requires a stop. The only bus route I can find is on Flixbus and one run at 5:15 in the evening arriving Porto at 7:45. I need to get in earlier so would appreciate any help you are kind enought to share. Thanks so very much.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There are quite a few Alsa buses each day. When you look at their schedule it's automatically sorted by price rather than time, but I saw 9:30, 11:30, 13:30 and 18:00 departures. Most take about 3.5 hours.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
FlixBus also has some sub 4 hour journeys. But most of them start on Monbus then transfer to FlixBus in Vigo.

Here's the schedule from a random weekday in September.
I was looking too far out! Are they only 60 days out for purchases? I think the trains are as well correct? So appreicate your help!

I was looking too far out! Are they only 60 days out for purchases? I think the trains are as well correct? So appreicate your help!
Yes, if you are looking more than two months put you are probably too early. When do you plan to travel?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Booked mine here 2 months in advance or just go to the bus terminal and buy it from ALSA.
They only sell 60 days out correct? And sorry but what's the difference between ALSA and FLIXBUS and the Rede XPress. I so appreciate your kindness. There's a lot to digest right now.

FlixBus also has some sub 4 hour journeys. But most of them start on Monbus then transfer to FlixBus in Vigo.

Here's the schedule from a random weekday in September.
Do you know whether these two companies come into and out of the same station so no need to find another location? Thanks so very much.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Ola, for the life of me I cannot access information regarding transportation between Santiago an Porto. I have seen it previously but am missing it so please bear with me I know there's the bus straight through and a train that requires a stop. The only bus route I can find is on Flixbus and one run at 5:15 in the evening arriving Porto at 7:45. I need to get in earlier so would appreciate any help you are kind enought to share. Thanks so very much.
We used Alsa from bus station which we booked well ahead

They only sell 60 days out correct? And sorry but what's the difference between ALSA and FLIXBUS and the Rede XPress. I so appreciate your kindness. There's a lot to digest right now.
RedeXpress is partnered with ALSA, Flixbus is separate. I bought my ticket online last April and used it in July this year.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
RedeXPress are secondary ticket sellers. ALSA and FLIXBUS are bus companies. Having spent 8 hours waiting for a "delayed" Flixbus I'd go with ALSA, the local professionals.

Here's a timetable for a mid-week journey https://www.alsa.es/checkout?p_p_id...alse&LIFERAY_SHARED_destinationStationIdIcon=

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is one line preferable to the other? Thanks.
I keep getting an error message on both sites - What am i doing incorrectly? I so apprecaite the help.

Modifica tu selecciónPasajeros
Ida
mar. 01 oct.
  • Santiago De Compostela
  • Oporto Campanha

¡Lo sentimos! No hay trayectos disponibles para el viaje que has buscado.
Si lo deseas, puedes modificar tu búsqueda para probar con otras fechas

Any way to email you? Here's what I get when I am online for October 1st from Santiago to Porto Campanha I'm getting pretty frustrated. Website I'm at is alsa.es
It is to early to book tickets for October 1st. Try in September.

The message you are getting is "We're sorry! There are no routes available for the trip you have searched for. If you wish, you can modify your search to try other dates".

You could have found that out for yourself by just using Ctrl/click on your computer and selecting "translate".

Given that there are 6 direct buses a day plus connections via Vigo by multiple combinations of train and bus all of which will get you to Porto I think you should just put down the mouse and step away from the computer. Travelling on a Tuesday in October it is highly unlikely that an advance booking is required. If you want that comfort try booking when tickets are made available which will be sometime late August / early September.

You will also make life easier for yourself if you switch the ALSA website to the English language version: https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home just click on the Globe at the top of the screen and select your preferred language.

Thanks so much for the help. I appreciate it and will do just that, I have it on English it was just the error that came up in Portugese. Take care!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,
We took the ASLA bus from Santiago to Porto. I booked online. We departed at 1pm but I think they do have one earlier.

Hi,
We took the ASLA bus from Santiago to Porto. I booked online. We departed at 1pm but I think they do have one earlier.
Gracias. My asla app will not let me yet book a ticket for October 1. Thanks for your help!

Hi Kaleah.

Yes, multiple ALSA buses during the day. Schedules and ability to buy tickets are both available about 60 days prior. I rode ALSA to Porto...they have multiple stops near/at subway stations in Porto so you will have a choice of where to get off depending upon where you want to be.

Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Kaleah.

Yes, multiple ALSA buses during the day. Schedules and ability to buy tickets are both available about 60 days prior. I rode ALSA to Porto...they have multiple stops near/at subway stations in Porto so you will have a choice of where to get off depending upon where you want to be.

Buen camino!
Thank you!!!

If you’re going to the airport in Porto don’t try to save a couple of euros by booking the cheaper (but slightly longer) journey to the centre of town and getting off early. It will not go well.

It is to early to book tickets for October 1st. Try in September.

The message you are getting is "We're sorry! There are no routes available for the trip you have searched for. If you wish, you can modify your search to try other dates".

You could have found that out for yourself by just using Ctrl/click on your computer and selecting "translate".

Given that there are 6 direct buses a day plus connections via Vigo by multiple combinations of train and bus all of which will get you to Porto I think you should just put down the mouse and step away from the computer. Travelling on a Tuesday in October it is highly unlikely that an advance booking is required. If you want that comfort try booking when tickets are made available which will be sometime late August / early September.

You will also make life easier for yourself if you switch the ALSA website to the English language version: https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home just click on the Globe at the top of the screen and select your preferred language.
In May, four of us booked four days in advance with no problem.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
try rome2rio.com will list all options

There are quite a few Alsa buses each day. When you look at their schedule it's automatically sorted by price rather than time, but I saw 9:30, 11:30, 13:30 and 18:00 departures. Most take about 3.5 hours.

Yes just waiting for the opportunity to buy when released. Thanks so much.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'll also be trying to get to Porto from Santiago in late May. First timer. I could end up with several free days at the end of my Camino and would prefer to leave my options open. Is there much risk of all the Santiago-Porto busses being completo if I wait until a day or two before reserving a spot?

Is it OK to ask related questions a couple weeks after a thread has stopped? If not, please forgive my forum etiquette.

Keep going - some of these threads resurface after a couple of years, and there’s no answer so comprehensively given that someone will not ignore it and add their identical version.

Now then:

You can book a cancellable and fully refundable ticket with ALSA. That’s what I would do. You can then cancel or amend up to a couple of hours before departure. It costs a couple of euros more than non-refundable, but if you can afford to get there from the US that shouldn’t be a big deal.

You need to download the ALSA app and register.

Busses (rarely) and trains (very frequently) sell-out

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back