This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Santiago to Muxia / Finisterre - break stops

CorkWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago to Muxia / Finisterre
Hello,

first post - so mods, please move if this isn't an appropriate location for my post.

I'm walking to Muxia / Finisterre in September with my husband who is recovering from long covid. Breaks are important and I'm looking to find out what that route is like for pit stops - we walked Pisa to Siena 2 years ago (pre-Covid infection), and a lot of the walk was without break stops. Ideally I'm just looking for somewhere he can get a quick cup of coffee and a sit down, pastry, etc.

If anyone can give an idea of how this route is supported, I'd be grateful.

Many thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Plenty of towns along the route. Last time was '22 for me and I stopped for the day in Negeira after coming out of Santiago, then Oliveroa, Cee , Lires via Fisterra and onto Muxia

First time in '18 I wasn't sure how well the route was supported but I never struggled for somewhere to stay.

How far can you manage without a break / cafe / albergue ?

Hi Markie6, thanks for reverting, we have overnights booked, it's more coffee stops along the way to allow him to rest during the day....he could do 90 minutes unbroken but after that, he'd need to stop.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Markie6, thanks for reverting, we have overnights booked, it's more coffee stops along the way to allow him to rest during the day....he could do 90 minutes unbroken but after that, he'd need to stop.
Gronze is pretty good at showing the facilities available at any given point on the route just look for the "beer mug" or "plate, knife & fork" symbols

Where do you see those symbols on the Gronze website? I know Brierley has them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
from the link above that Tinker added, on the right as you scroll down the page, house, plate beer etc

from the link above that Tinker added, on the right as you scroll down the page, house, plate beer etc
Great, thanks, I'd never noticed that before!

I just walked Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia this past week. The leg from Santiago to Negriera and the leg from Negriera to Olveiroa both have long stretches (a couple of hours of walking) with no places to stop for a coffee. There are a few benches and rocks big enough to sit on on the way. The split between Finisterre or Muxia is the third leg.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Ideally I'm just looking for somewhere he can get a quick cup of coffee and a sit down, pastry, etc.
A quick thought bearing in mind the helpful post from @priscillavivio above, carry a couple of oblongs of bubble wrap, roughly 40 X 60 cm. Folded in half on a wet day or even in quarters if it's fine it's comfortable, keeps your posterior dry, is super light and very compact. Plus, if you're a Scrooge like I am, it's free!
Then any convenient low wall, fallen tree, Rock etc becomes a useful resting place. An apple or 2, a musli bar...

Everyone, thank you all so much for the responses, they are very much appreciated

VERY few stops on that route, should always have an emergency Bocadillo with you.

Also a lot of the stages have hills up and down... the downs killed me more than the ups... I had flashbacks of the trail coming into Cee...

You could follow the route on google maps and see what you think, there is also a guy on youtube who recorded the entire route in real time if you want spoilers...

At each stop could ask for any local taxi people who you could ring to bail out just in case.

Lovely route, would do it again but with more downhill training...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.