• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago (Almond) Cake

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Also, to attain that Santiago cross design in the powdered sugar topping, you can obtain a kit of two (IIRC) sized stainless steel crosses at many shops in and around Santiago.

My preferred place to buy them is in kitchen supplies section of Ferreteria el Horreo, the ferreteria (hardware store) at Rua do Horreo 22, on the corner at Plaza de Galicia. Once in the store, go downstairs. The blister wrapped package with the two stainless / inox Santiago crosses will be on a wall peg on one of the walls or the pillar in the middle of the room.

Hope this helps,

Tom

The Canadian Company of Pilgrims posted a recipe many years ago. It works beautifully and is entirely gluten and dairy free...eggs, sugar and almond flour.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One of my Camino friends brings Santiago cake to our yearly mini-reunions and it is delicious. Hers is a simpler version than the OP's entry because it uses almond flour so you don't need to use a food processor to grind almonds, and it uses almond/vanilla extract and no alcohol. The other ingredients are about the same.

One of my Camino friends brings Santiago cake to our yearly mini-reunions and it is delicious. Hers is a simpler version than the OP's entry because it uses almond flour so you don't need to use a food processor to grind almonds, and it uses almond/vanilla extract and no alcohol. The other ingredients are about the same.
I switched to almond flour as well when making tarta. It is now readily available and I'd rather marinate the almonds in a little olive oil, lemon, rosemary and salt and eat them with pimientos! 🥾 🍷

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also, to attain that Santiago cross design in the powdered sugar topping, you can obtain a kit of two (IIRC) sized stainless steel crosses at many shops in and around Santiago.

My preferred place to buy them is in kitchen supplies section of Ferreteria el Horreo, the ferreteria (hardware store) at Rua do Horreo 22, on the corner at Plaza de Galicia. Once in the store, go downstairs. The blister wrapped package with the two stainless / inox Santiago crosses will be on a wall peg on one of the walls or the pillar in the middle of the room.

Hope this helps,

Tom
What a lovely souvenir to bring back. I cut out my own stencil on heavy paper/ light board from a cake box which I keep next to my recipe.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hope this helps,

Tom
fun fact, it's not a cross, its a sword, the legend is that he appeared and with his sword he chased the Moors out of Spain, which is weird because a) he had been dead for over 500 years and b) all the first Christians were pacifists. Great cake though, i wished I could've brought one home.

Most read last week in this forum

Stopped in at a Starbucks in Vancouver today. I don’t care for Starbucks but was with a friend who likes it. A latte or similar at Starbucks costs around €4. That’s a typical price for any coffee...
Hi everyone, I leave for my Camino in a few short weeks and am trying to figure out what the washing machine situation is. I will be traveling on the CP from Porto and hoping to take the coastal...
The affect of a church on each of us is highly subjective and possibly based on many considerations, including; location, architecture, a particular statue, perhaps a memory inspired by an art...
76 year old male looking to do another Camino around April 2025. Completed CF from SJPP in 2022 and Portuguese from Porto earlier this year. I’ve looked at del Norte, but wanted to keep days...
Dear Forum Members, I’m reaching out to invite those planning to walk the Camino de Santiago to participate in a research study aimed at exploring the effects of the Camino pilgrimage on health...
A friend just told me about a Netflix series called Gangs of Galicia, and I started watching. Haven’t got the nuances of the plot yet, but so far there are scenes in Combarro, Arousa and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.